(Topic ID: 16645)

I just came onto the scene, could someone explain who/what Jersey Jack is?

By rai

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by gweempose
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

angry27.gif

#1 7 years ago

I seem to have walked into the movie in the middle. I am unsure what is JJ in a nutshell, I need a synopsis so far.

What I mean, I believe they have the Williams 'feel' (as opposed to what Stern has which is still good but not what we recall from the early-late 90s Williams pins). I am talking Williams IJ as opposed to Stern IJ for example.

Who are these guys, what are their credentials. I mean, I assume they are pin guys, but what have they done? Are there any heavy hitters from the old times (like Lawler, Richie, Eddie or the like)? or are these the generation next?

How excited should I be? Are they just another Stern in the making or something better and why?

thanks.

#2 7 years ago

http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/ourteam.aspx

They can probably field a better explanation than I can.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/ourteam.aspx

um, not much. It says the lead designer worked on South Park and Simpsons? Does that make him a heavy hitter? It says he worked on those pins, does that mean he was the lead designer or was he a grip (or whatever the pin equivalent would be?).

People are buying this pin sight unseen, reminds me of when a movie is coming out and we assume we will love it and the movie comes out and it's Godfather 3 (movie buffs know what that means).

#4 7 years ago

Hes been a reseller and manufacturer of a lot of different arcade machines/bowling rigs/ pushers etc. for years. He also was a reseller of Stern pinball machines.

He got pissed at selling what he believed to be sub standard machines, so, in turn, decided he would join the market and make his own pinball machines of a higher quality and spec.

So now we have him building his first pin (WoZ) with lots of features and some new tech.

A brief summary of course, but im sure there will be others along to offer some extra info...

#5 7 years ago

JJP is a new pinball company that is putting out their first game. No one knows what their games feel like because they don't yet exist. They are going after high end collectors by making games that are expensive and fully feature packed rather than games that are stripped down for cost reduction.

As for your Williams ij vs stern ij, that is a horrible example. Ij stern doesn't suck because it's got a stern feel. It sucks because the game sucks. Not all games are equally good. Some are good and others are turds.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #7 7 years ago

It appears Rai is asking about the function of a designer on the grand scheme of game production. As I understand it, the designer creates the layout of the playfield and objects for the shots, so the full actual design of the playfield and shot layout was made by joe balcer. His other games in my very opinionated opinion are total duds. But it is believed that since everything is on the line, this will be better than his finest game, which of course is Simpsons presently.

Doing the programming and here on the boards is arguably the best software/rules programmer of all time. Many argue that Lyman at Stern does better programming, but that's also a debatable issue. Johnson seems to have the most depth in rules in that there will be details in games such as Lord of the rings and simpsons, that people could play their whole lives and never see the wizard modes. Again, everything's on the line, so no slouching there.

Buying the game is a risk, buying any game is a risk. Even buying the next Mario is a risk, remember Mario Sunshine? Me neither. Not everything is a home run in life, but a lot of factors have been brought in to make sure that this game isn't a dud, so people are willing to take this risk. Of course, this isn't being exactly bought sight unseen either, images and information have been trickled out, and the game will still be buyable after release, just maybe not the LE's at that point.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rick471:

Sketchy thread.

I totally agree. looks like we may have a troll.

Jim

#9 7 years ago

JJP Rocks! Can be a game-changer for future pinheads! Greatest guy of all time!

I think the first delivery will be August 10th.

Did I win something Jack?

#10 7 years ago

Not at all. I saw their home page but it didn't really tell me much, I don't know these names like I do the guys from 15 years ago.

I was trying to see if people believe they will start off at the top. Kind of like an expansion team expected to compete for the Super Bowl in the first year. If the team had all kinds of talent it might. I just am asking is this known talent we expect them to be top just because.

And my Godfather 3 reference is appropriate. Coppola, Al Pichino etc.. That was a sure can't miss classic on paper.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Jim

That's what I was thinking too.

#12 7 years ago

JJP's WOZ is their maiden voyage. They are marketing it aggressively and pointing out features superior to that of their competitors. They are doing nothing atypical of an emerging company. Nobody can make any inference on the play of this pin. Could be a top 10 rapidly like TRON or linger in the lower levels. Prepurchase is a risk just lock buying an IPO. Risk also holds the possibility of reward. Comparisons to quality may be somewhat valid as this is a rare point in history where the product is being evaluated as it goes. Quality of build that is. The rubber hits the road after launch however when the first ball is put into play and NOBODY can make any valid assertion whether or not this pin will be killer even if it "looks like it will be" Hope it knocks it out of the park.

#13 7 years ago

Easy to explain. Jersey Jack is a used car salesman from Paterson New Jersey. After 2 years as a car mechanic he purchased his first pinball machine from a newspaper executive in Brazil. After tinkering around with that machine for 15 years he decided he could make one just as good. His exact quote was..."Car engine...pinball machine...it's all mechanics and computer boards."
    He eventually decided to start his own Pinball Company figuring...how hard could it be?? He came up with the name Jersey Jack after rejecting many others (Paterson Jack, Pin Pals, Pinside Smurfs, Peanut Butter & Jelly) He figured his first machine should be a winner and decided to design it with a theme everyone would know and love. It was to be called Peanut Butter & Jelly. While watching an evening showing of The Wizard of Oz, he finally thought...''Hey!...THAT might be better!'' And there you have it. It is rumored his second machine will finally be the Peanut Butter & Jelly machine we all want. True story.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Easy to explain. Jersey Jack is a used car salesman from Paterson New Jersey. After 2 years as a car mechanic he purchased his first pinball machine from a newspaper executive in Brazil. After tinkering around with that machine for 15 years he decided he could make one just as good. His exact quote was..."Car engine...pinball machine...it's all mechanics and computer boards."
    He eventually decided to start his own Pinball Company figuring...how hard could it be?? He came up with the name Jersey Jack after rejecting many others (Paterson Jack, Pin Pals, Pinside Smurfs, Peanut Butter & Jelly) He figured his first machine should be a winner and decided to design it with a theme everyone would know and love. It was to be called Peanut Butter & Jelly. While watching an evening showing of The Wizard of Oz, he finally thought...''Hey!...THAT might be better!'' And there you have it. It is rumored his second machine will finally be the Peanut Butter & Jelly machine we all want. True story.

Quoted for 100% gospel truth.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Blakesell said:http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/ourteam.aspx

um, not much. It says the lead designer worked on South Park and Simpsons? Does that make him a heavy hitter? It says he worked on those pins, does that mean he was the lead designer or was he a grip (or whatever the pin equivalent would be?).
    People are buying this pin sight unseen, reminds me of when a movie is coming out and we assume we will love it and the movie comes out and it's Godfather 3 (movie buffs know what that means).

If Greg Freres, Keith Johnson, and Dennis Nordman aren't "heavy hitters", then I don't know what a "heavy hitter" is.

#16 7 years ago

Quoted directly from his bio!

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Rick471 said:Sketchy thread.
    Jim

Sorry but I have to stick up for my new friend here. I spent a couple hours at the op house the other day helping him out a bit. He's been out of the hobby for quite a few years now and is just looking to catch up on what he missed. He is in no way a troll. In fact I found him to be a very honest guy with very nice family.

#18 7 years ago

In that case I was just joking about the bio....

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

honda350r said:Rick471 said:Sketchy thread.
    Jim
    Sorry but I have to stick up for my new friend here. I spent a couple hours at the op house the other day helping him out a bit. He's been out of the hobby for quite a few years now and is just looking to catch up on what he missed. He is in no way a troll. In fact I found him to be a very honest guy with very nice family.

This is what its all about, pinsiders helping each other out! This is good to hear the_pin_family, glad you were of assistance to help out a fellow pinsider!

#20 7 years ago

It's peanut butter jelly time.

#21 7 years ago

I spent a couple hours at the op house the other day helping him out a bit.

So I guess you guys didn't really talk shop very much then, huh? Because if "I" was helping him he would have been up to speed AND ordered up for JJP's first & second machine!

I don't know why Rick got a tilt based on some suspicion but, this thread screamed "TROLL!" to me as well.
    No harm no foul.
    Play on Rai; welcome to the Pinside too...

#22 7 years ago

Sorry if I was off base , The op seems to me like he is a veteran not a newbie .. Especially with his other topic he started .

Jim

#23 7 years ago

i'm wearing a jersey jack shirt today actually. he's going to turn pinball around!

#24 7 years ago

I was just trying to figure out how this works, JJ is sticking his neck out, probably at least a million dollars and the buyers are sticking their neck out buying the pin (or at least deposit) without playing it. And it's not like people buying a new Stern just on the theme, JJ is a new company I was asking for some background other than the company web site.

I had an opportunity to invest in a brand new restaurant, but (to me) it was too unknown I knew the owner and how he had already had a success in the past and he was a good guy. And it may be one of those things where 10 years from now I will kick myself for not investing. But the unknown (to me) was worse than the known (i.e. the owner chef). It would be easier for me to see how the WoZ turns out. I am more timid, rather buy a title that has proven itself but it would be nice to be an early adopter but with that comes the risk of being wrong.

#25 7 years ago

In a month or less, people should know how it plays too. There are supposed to be games in test locations as soon as Memorial day weekend. I'll look for them in locations, but I think that may have been pushed back.

#26 7 years ago

Well, you won't have any worries on build quality. He is making the cab and playfields of thicker ply. Normal parts shouldn't be an issue as they are Williams. I would buy an extra of the game specific parts. Gameplay is an unknown in any game. Circuit boards should be of good quality also but time will tell.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

the_pin_family said:Sorry but I have to stick up for my new friend here. I spent a couple hours at the op house the other day helping him out a bit. He's been out of the hobby for quite a few years now and is just looking to catch up on what he missed. He is in no way a troll. In fact I found him to be a very honest guy with very nice family.
    Sorry if I was off base , The op seems to me like he is a veteran not a newbie .. Especially with his other topic he started .
    Jim

I bought pins 6, 7, 8 yeas ago but have been out of the hobby for a while. Bought PoC new but have not been involved in the past 5 years. So I just woke back up and there is JJ but I missed what has happened in the past 5 years thats all. I was trying to get a cliff note without reading 500 posts.

#28 7 years ago

Jack has been in the coin op industry around 37 years.

In at least the last dozen years or more he built up a reputation for customer service with Pinball Sales.

Always growing and expanding. He has added manufacturing.

Call him, he's the guy that answers the phone. See him or visit with him at a show. You won't be disappointed.

LTG

#29 7 years ago

....and car mechanic!

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

It would be easier for me to see how the WoZ turns out. I am more timid, rather buy a title that has proven itself but it would be nice to be an early adopter but with that comes the risk of being wrong.

This is a correct statement on how I feel also. If the game is great you will be able to purchase a WOZ after release. JJP is going to be making plenty of them im sure. You prob wont get an LE but the game play on both (from what i know) will be the exact same. Pre-order is only good to secure an LE but then back to your statement. New company, new pin, and a crap bubbly title IMO. If the game is the best in the world you can get one after release for the same price as the current pre-order price. Only the super early orders got a better deal. The people that did that did not see anything about the pin in any way. Just believing in JJP. I do hope he does great for the record because thats great for pinball and pinball is great for me.

#31 7 years ago

I don't know if I am one of the few WOZLE buyers that is being more reserved and pragmatic about it? I am not, and cannot jump on the "WOZ will be the greatest"-bandwagon even though it might be in my interests. The fact is, most of us don't know. I bought into the hype on the strength of his design team, which has a proven track record of doing some very good games, and the fact that JJP has clearly shown the desire, dedication, money and other resources necessary to take the game to market. I'll reserve my final judgement until I get a chance to play the game for real, but I am hopeful and excited.

I also like the fact that he's making one pinball machine essentially. He's not making one good game and releasing a bunch of lesser-priced crippled games, or making one machine and gluing on a bunch of action figures and charging $2000 more. The LE version has a lot more definitive value to it than Stern LE versions, plus when the LE was announced it wasn't much more than the regular version so it was a good deal to get. Although I am not under the illusion that the WOZLEs are going to be ultra-valuable in the future. With a run of 1000, that's not what is likely to be "rare".

#32 7 years ago

A "Jersey Jack" is a kind of pinball move to get free games. It's named after Jersey Jack Watchonski and his brother Elwood, the only pinball players ever to be incarcerated solely for stealing free pinball games. The operators in the Garden state estimated their losses to be in the thousands until the duo was chased down in a police chase across the mid-west. Around 80 police cars were wrecked but the brothers were finally apprehended at a government building at Daley plaza in Chicago. In prison, the term "Jersey Jack" took on a very different meaning: it was related to the rendering of a service for free, similar to the free games they stole, however, in Jack's case, not willingly.

#33 7 years ago

You left out the car mecanic stuff!

angry27.gif

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

It would be easier for me to see how the WoZ turns out. I am more timid, rather buy a title that has proven itself but it would be nice to be an early adopter but with that comes the risk of being wrong ....

At this point, there is really no urgency to jump on board. Just wait to see how the game pans out, and then decide if you want one. It's not like there won't be any available. A year ago, it was a different story. I put down my deposit on January 9, 2011. At that point, I knew virtually nothing about the game. I simply believed in the potential of a new company, and decided to throw caution to the wind. As a reward, the people who jumped on board early got the game for $1,000 discount.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.00
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 49.95
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Hobbit Black Arrow Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 117.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Apparel - Men
    Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside