Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CB3863A0-9C57-4968-B981-12A12A707C44 (resized).jpeg
    spektro-starter-experimenteerset-elektriciteit (resized).jpg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I'm thinking about buying my first pinball machine. Just from reading a bunch of post on the forum,most people recommend working on your own machine. I don't know anything about electronic/pinball repair,so I'm going to read this book first. After I finish reading this book ,if I feel comfortable about buying a pin,then I'll pull the trigger.

I've found three repairmen in my area, so I know that I can get my machine serviced,when a problem pops up.I'm not lazy,I'm just concerned about fixing something as daunting as a pinball machine. Hopefully,with the help of this book,It won't be so intimidating to me. To be honest,I'd probably get a kick out of fixing my own machine.

I'd kill to have a pinball machine mentor,but this book should be the next best thing. If there's any Trout Fly Fishermen near me, who'd like to trade some of the flies I tie for some mentoring,that would be awesome.Only problem is, most Fly Fishermen tie their own flies. I could also trade some repair mentoring, for golf lessons,but I'm an eight handicap,so maybe I'm not your guy.

#2 5 years ago

Have no fear,there is a wealth of knowledge and people here to help. Now just find a cheap first machine that you think you'll enjoy.
    -Mike

#3 5 years ago

^^
    What he said.

I was much the same like you when I bought my first pin, didnt know electronics and now still grasp the absolute basics and managed fine.
    Had lots of problems over the years and with the manual, pinwiki and internet fora and a $10 multimeter was able to solve them all.
    So you can do it too.

#4 5 years ago

I grew up in Norristown, now my area now is called East Norriton. My brother is an electronics ace whose has owned many pins, If you need help, I can hook you up.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I grew up in Norristown, now my area now is called East Norriton. My brother is an electronics ace whose has owned many pins, If you need help, I can hook you up.

Thank you for the offer!

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from elZilcho:

^^
    What he said.
    I was much the same like you when I bought my first pin, didnt know electronics and now still grasp the absolute basics and managed fine.
    Had lots of problems over the years and with the manual, pinwiki and internet fora and a $10 multimeter was able to solve them all.
    So you can do it too.

Thanks,I was thinking about a beginners class in basic electronics,but I couldn't find any in my area.

#7 5 years ago

Buy a soldering iron and learn how to solder. You don't have to be circuit board fixing good, but knowing how to fix a broken wire or change out a switch is invaluable. I learned for the sound industry for making microphone cables.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Have no fear,there is a wealth of knowledge and people here to help. Now just find a cheap first machine that you think you'll enjoy.
    -Mike

Thanks, there's a pinball show coming to my area.If I go,I'm only taking lunch money with me, and the credit cards are staying home.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

Buy a soldering iron and learn how to solder. You don't have to be circuit board fixing good, but knowing how to fix a broken wire or change out a switch is invaluable. I learned for the sound industry for making microphone cables.

Thanks,I have one ,but I never learned to use it.I'll check you -tube out for instructions.

#10 5 years ago

Collect stamps, much lighter. My .02

#11 5 years ago

Get a pin you like and go for it. I didn't learn to solder until I starting repairing my own games when I can. You'll be fine. You'll find repairs and fixing a non-working game can be more fun than playing.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Thanks, there's a pinball show coming to my area.If I go,I'm only taking lunch money with me, and the credit cards are staying home.

If you’re going to the Allentown Pinfest show you can pick up a really good deal on your first pin, especially if you wait to buy it Saturday afternoon. A lot of people bring games hoping to sell them so that they can bring something else home. If you go bring some cash, maybe $1,000-1500 for your first solid state and let me know. I’d be happy to help you inspect a couple of pins and give some free advice.

John

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

Get a pin you like and go for it. I didn't learn to solder until I starting repairing my own games when I can. You'll be fine. You'll find repairs and fixing a non-working game can be more fun than playing.

Thanks,I'll keep that in mind.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

If you’re going to the Allentown Pinfest show you can pick up a really good deal on your first pin, especially if you wait to buy it Saturday afternoon. A lot of people bring games hoping to sell them so that they can bring something else home. If you go bring some cash, maybe $1,000-1500 for your first solid state and let me know. I’d be happy to help you inspect a couple of pins and give some free advice.
    John

Thanks for the generous offer John,I'll keep that in mind.How does the Pinfest work, I saw that it's $20.00 for general admission,do you have to pay extra to play any of the games?

#15 5 years ago

Pay to get in and then play every machine for free all day and night. You will have a blastZ

#16 5 years ago

there is also the york show in october. but you should have a blast at the allentown show. should give you an opportunity to play plenty of games to get an idea of what you like the best. plus plenty of games there to buy.

#17 5 years ago

You already have what it takes to own your own pinball machine. You love pinball, and you think that you would actually enjoy fixing and working on your game. All you have to do is have the interest and want to and a small amount of mechanical ability and you can do it. Last but not least, you have three repairmen in your area and theres already two guys in this thread that are willing to help you also that can fix something that you cant and get your game up and running again.

I was feeling the same way you are but i met a local guy that sells and works on games who is a great guy that i consider a good friend now. I can do most things on my own other than board repair or electrical troubleshooting i think now but i always have him if i need him too which is very important. Once you get into the hobby, you will also meet other people that can help you and there is alot of people willing to help right here on this site also. You’ve got everything in your corner for real, i say go for it, you wont regret it trust me! This is a breat hobby.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

Pay to get in and then play every machine for free all day and night. You will have a blastZ

Thank you.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinsideTroll:

there is also the york show in october. but you should have a blast at the allentown show. should give you an opportunity to play plenty of games to get an idea of what you like the best. plus plenty of games there to buy.

Thank you.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

You already have what it takes to own your own pinball machine. You love pinball, and you think that you would actually enjoy fixing and working on your game. All you have to do is have the interest and want to and a small amount of mechanical ability and you can do it. Last but not least, you have three repairmen in your area and theres already two guys in this thread that are willing to help you also that can fix something that you cant and get your game up and running again.
    I was feeling the same way you are but i met a local guy that sells and works on games who is a great guy that i consider a good friend now. I can do most things on my own other than board repair or electrical troubleshooting i think now but i always have him if i need him too which is very important. Once you get into the hobby, you will also meet other people that can help you and there is alot of people willing to help right here on this site also. You’ve got everything in your corner for real, i say go for it, you wont regret it trust me! This is a breat hobby.

Thank you.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

Can I pay at the door? I'd hate to buy a ticket for my wife and I,and then she decides not to go.

#22 5 years ago

Yes you can pay at the door. Open to public.
    -Mike

#23 5 years ago

What kind of pins are you into? I'm in Montco and can give you advice & assistance. PM me with any questions.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Yes you can pay at the door. Open to public.
    -Mike

Nice,thank you.

#25 5 years ago

What kind of game are you thinking of buying? EM, SS, 1990's Wiliams, new Stern? If you buy a newer Stern, you really shouldn't have to much repair.

Like others have said, sometimes it is more fun tinkering and fixing up a dusty old game and making it shine.

If you haven't already, read these web sites carefully and buy a soldering iron and voltmeter. Don't be scared, as long as you have patience it is not bad. It is not rocket science. Patience is really what it takes more than anything else. Some people have patience and some just don't.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/
    http://www.pinrepair.com

Take a look at the game specific parts on Marco to get an idea of parts needed for your game:
    http://www.marcospecialties.com

These sites will tell you just about all you need to know to get a good start.

It is much easier to fix your own games than trying to track someone down.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

What kind of pins are you into? I'm in Montco and can give you advice & assistance. PM me with any questions.

That's a good question.I haven't really played much pinball since my younger days.My daughter just bought a house,so I gave her my pool table and my Foosball table.Now I don't have a game room anymore. They weren't being used,so now she can enjoy them,like I use to.

I don't even know how this bug got started to be honest.For some reason,I googled a machine that I really loved to play, a 1972 Gottlieb's “Flying Carpet" and one popped up on ebay. I contacted the guy, and I was going to take a look at the game,but then I go cold feet. I was afraid that the pinball repair guy I contacted to pick the game up,wouldn't be able to get it up my staircase from "Hell". You have to make 4 90 degree turns to get up to my second floor.
    Now if I get one,it's going in my living room, and this really opens up a wide range of the machines for me.
    Since I only have room for one machine,I think I'd be better off with something a little more involved ,than "The Flying Carpet".

I just started researching pinball machines,and somehow I ended up here. Friends of mine growing up, had a machine in their basement,and I played it a lot when I want over to their house.I loved how you could just play all you wanted,while keeping all of your quarters in your pocket,Lol. I always thought it would be nice to own one,but that's as far as it want.Now that I'm retired,I'm thinking of following up on my desire to own one.

Well that's my story,and I'm sticking to it. I could go on and on,but I hate reading really long post myself,and I don't wanna be a hypocrite
    P.S
    I have to get out now, and try some of the modern games,because I haven't a clue as to what games I'd like.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

What kind of game are you thinking of buying? EM, SS, 1990's Wiliams, new Stern? If you buy a newer Stern, you really shouldn't have to much repair.
    Like others have said, sometimes it is more fun tinkering and fixing up a dusty old game and making it shine.
    If you haven't already, read these web sites carefully and buy a soldering iron and voltmeter. Don't be scared, as long as you have patience it is not bad. It is not rocket science. Patience is really what it takes more than anything else. Some people have patience and some just don't.
    http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/
    http://www.pinrepair.com
    Take a look at the game specific parts on Marco to get an idea of parts needed for your game:
    http://www.marcospecialties.com
    These sites will tell you just about all you need to know to get a good start.
    It is much easier to fix your own games than trying to track someone down.

Thanks a ton for the links,that's just what I needed! As far a patience go,one of my hobbies is "Fly Tying" so I got that going for me.

#28 5 years ago

Actually EM games, like Flying Carpet are easier to move then the newer ones. The head easily comes off and they're much lighter.
    There's a place not too far from Norristown in St.Peters, Pa. only open Sat. & Sun. called Village arcade. Has all EM pins, gun games, & a shuffle bowler. It's a place I like to go when I want to play something not in my basement!!

#30 5 years ago

My book came today and my wife saw me reading it. She says " A Pinball book ?",and I tell her I'm trying to learn a little bit about machines, to see if owning a machine is right for me. Then she tells me to "just buy one",even after I told her it could cost $10,000. What I didn't tell her was, they break all the time,and one of the best techs in the area, charges $ 150.00, just for a service call, and then $90.00 per hour,not counting parts.

I don't expect to be able to do all of the repairs myself,but if I could do some of them,that would be huge! Hopefully this book will shed a little light on the workings and repairs of a pinball machine,for me.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

My book came today and my wife saw me reading it. She says " A Pinball book ?",and I tell her I'm trying to learn a little bit about machines, to see if owning a machine is right for me. Then she tells me to "just buy one",even after I told her it could cost $10,000. What I didn't tell her was, they break all the time,and one of the best techs in the area, charges $ 150.00, just for a service call, and then $90.00 per hour,not counting parts.
    I don't expect to be able to do all of the repairs myself,but if I could do some of them,that would be huge! Hopefully this book will shed a little light on the workings and repairs of a pinball machine,for me.

They dont really break all the time and usually the stuff that does break you can fix yourself pretty easy. All of my games have been pretty reliable new and old both. If you can afford a new one though it may save you a few maintenance headaches.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

They dont really break all the time and usually the stuff that does break you can fix yourself pretty easy. All of my games have been pretty reliable new and old both. If you can afford a new one though it may save you a few maintenance headaches.

Thanks.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

this -- just buy one already. you're over-preparing!

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I bought a beat up TAF as my first pin, and had less than zero experience working on anything resembling a pinball machine. About 18 months later, TAF plays glourious and so do my other 5 pins. Learn as you go, and nothing is too bad as far as repairs (plus the repairs/customizations become kinda fun). If I can change out switches, fix loose wires, troubleshoot mechanical issues, anyone can.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

This ^^^. Pinball machines really arent that bad maintenance wise in a home environment. I guess if you had one on route that was on all day long and being played alot that there would probably be some regular maintenance to keep it nice and playing good, but its not to bad in your home.

If you have even a little bit of mechanical ability you are going to be fine trust me. If you run into something that you cant figure out or don't want to mess with then just call someone or find a fellow pinsider to help you. Pinball is a fun hobby, figure out which game you want and go for it.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I agree 100% with you,Lol. It's just the way I'm wired.I always over do it when it comes to researching a new hobby. When I started a reef aquarium with salt water fish,and live corals,I read about the subject for 7 months before setting up my first 90 gallon tank!
    Thanks for your little push.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

This ^^^. Pinball machines really arent that bad maintenance wise in a home environment. I guess if you had one on route that was on all day long and being played alot that there would probably be some regular maintenance to keep it nice and playing good, but its not to bad in your home.
    If you have even a little bit of mechanical ability you are going to be fine trust me. If you run into something that you cant figure out or don't want to mess with then just call someone or find a fellow pinsider to help you. Pinball is a fun hobby, figure out which game you want and go for it.

Thank you for the encouragement!

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Parzival:

I bought a beat up TAF as my first pin, and had less than zero experience working on anything resembling a pinball machine. About 18 months later, TAF plays glourious and so do my other 5 pins. Learn as you go, and nothing is too bad as far as repairs (plus the repairs/customizations become kinda fun). If I can change out switches, fix loose wires, troubleshoot mechanical issues, anyone can.

Thanks,reading post like this,makes me feel a little more comfortable about taking the plunge.

#39 5 years ago

I'd just like to thank everyone for taking the time to help someone new to the hobby. I'll get back to you guys,once I find my first machine.
    I'm already making progress. I sold my home gym,so now I can move my treadmill to the second floor. My pinball machine will be going on the first floor where my treadmill is now.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I'm already making progress. I sold my home gym...

Now just start drinking beer all the time and eating heavily and you'll be one of us in no time

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Now just start drinking beer all the time and eating heavily and you'll be one of us in no time

I have the eating heavily covered

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I'd just like to thank everyone for taking the time to help someone new to the hobby. I'll get back to you guys,once I find my first machine.
    I'm already making progress. I sold my home gym,so now I can move my treadmill to the second floor. My pinball machine will be going on the first floor where my treadmill is now.

Umm...you need room for more than 1....just a heads up

#43 5 years ago

Forgot to mention anything about "the book". The 3rd edition of Pin Repair. I think I have the 2nd edition. It's a pretty good starting point for a new owner. Esp. for older games. Still leaves a lot to be desired. I'd have to recommend an early Bally SS for a 1st game. Of course, I am biased towards those. Once you fix all the "glitches" in a game they hold up well in a home. Of course, you will have normal maintenance too. When it does need to be fixed, give it a shot. I'm not happy when a game is broken, but I feel great when I fix her myself. Curious on what you end up with. Keep us posted and good luck!

#44 5 years ago

I started out just like you did, bought the same book and started reading it through and through, wife looking at me like I'm crazy. Then after a while, the chance came to get an EM so I got it. I soon had a few issues but thanks to everyone here I got those fixed on my own! For a time I stared at all of the workings and the relays and the steppers and I had no idea what was going on, what was doing what, etc. But I took my time, didn't mess around with anything that was working ok, and studied all of the different operations again with lots of help and advice from so many helpful pinsiders. After a long while of studying the schematics and observing how everything works I came to understand how everything works. Now, I can give anyone a tour and point at any internal part and explain exactly what it does and how it works. And I can fix the small problems that pop up here and there with no problem. So much fun! But mostly it just works, and we do a lot of playing which is fun too.

Keep it going and go for it!

The strange thing is how you finally take the leap and get that first one. Then, before long, somehow there is another one next to it. And then, another one... How does this happen? They seem to replicate...

#45 5 years ago

My nephew had his 8 birtday last week and he really really wanted a "electronics box" from his dad. (My bro)
    So when I came over we played a bit with it, it has a mic, a speaker, motors, diodes ect. Had to think of this topic.
    I think when he masters this (in a bunch of years hopefully) he is ready for basic pin repair.

He came over a few days ago, we had such fun. We played a pin and he wanted to know what happened when the ball drained ect so I showed him.
    Tried to explain and demonstrate opto's and switches, how the computer remembers those "flags"and with that you can make rules.
    He seemed to really get it.

spektro-starter-experimenteerset-elektriciteit (resized).jpgspektro-starter-experimenteerset-elektriciteit (resized).jpg

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from elZilcho:

My nephew had his 8 birtday last week and he really really wanted a "electronics box" from his dad. (My bro)
    So when I came over we played a bit with it, it has a mic, a speaker, motors, diodes ect. Had to think of this topic.
    I think when he masters this (in a bunch of years hopefully) he is ready for basic pin repair.
    He came over a few days ago, we had such fun. We played a pin and he wanted to know what happened when the ball drained ect so I showed him.
    Tried to explain and demonstrate opto's and switches, how the computer remembers those "flags"and with that you can make rules.
    He seemed to really get it.

Maybe I'll get an "electronics box"for my birthday.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

Ditto above. And go get some wire and practice soldering. Don't get solder and flux for plumping - and (this is important) get it for electronics. I prefer lead based 60/40 solder with flux.

And by all means, get a cheapie Digital Multi-Meter (DMM). Harbor Freight almost gives them away (maybe $3 when on special). Or splurge and get a $15 one. The next step up would be an oscilloscope which would cost $200-250. Scopes are incredibly cheap nowadays and the performance is rather amazing. A scope lets you look a voltage w/respect to time whereas a DMM is more of a semi-static reading. I bought a DSP5072P 70MHz Hantek, and I'm completely satisfied with its performance, plus it can be modded for 200MHz.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Ditto above. And go get some wire and practice soldering. Don't get solder and flux for plumping - and (this is important) get it for electronics. I prefer lead based 60/40 solder with flux.
    And by all means, get a cheapie Digital Multi-Meter (DMM). Harbor Freight almost gives them away (maybe $3 when on special). Or splurge and get a $15 one. The next step up would be an oscilloscope which would cost $200-250. Scopes are incredibly cheap nowadays and the performance is rather amazing. A scope lets you look a voltage w/respect to time whereas a DMM is more of a semi-static reading. I bought a DSP5072P 70MHz Hantek, and I'm completely satisfied with its performance, plus it can be modded for 200MHz.

Thanks for your time and help!

1 week later
    #49 5 years ago

I just finished my book last night and I thought it was a pretty good introduction to the workings of a pinball machine. I had to laugh when I read the last chapter on fixing a ss game. It said something like "People with no electronic skills are better off running the machines self diagnostic program.I'll have to check You tube out to get an idea of what this entails.
    I bought a soldering kit for beginners from Amazon last night. I know I didn't really need a kit to practice,but I figured what the hell,I'll have a " European style siren with flashing LED's" when I'm done with the kit.
    I also played a bunch of machines last Wednesday at a local Pinball Gallery.I played for seven hours and I had a blast. They had a ton of machines to play,and it was only $20.00 for the whole day. I tried playing two games on a machine,and then I would move on to another game. I never played all of the machines,because I kept going back to MM,TH,GOTG,AFM.I do have a better idea now of what I like,but I'd like to try a bunch of machines at the Allentown Pinfest before I decide on what game to buy. I definitely have try WOZ, and DI for starters.
    P.S
    Look for me at the Pinfest,I'll be the guy just flailing away trying to see how long I can keep a ball in play. If your behind me,don't worry,you won't have a long wait.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I just finished my book last night and I thought it was a pretty good introduction to the workings of a pinball machine. I had to laugh when I read the last chapter on fixing a ss game. It said something like "People with no electronic skills are better off running the machines self diagnostic program.I'll have to check You tube out to get an idea of what this entails.
    I bought a soldering kit for beginners from Amazon last night. I know I didn't really need a kit to practice,but I figured what the hell,I'll have a " European style siren with flashing LED's" when I'm done with the kit.
    I also played a bunch of machines last Wednesday at a local Pinball Gallery.I played for seven hours and I had a blast. They had a ton of machines to play,and it was only $20.00 for the whole day. I tried playing two games on a machine,and then I would move on to another game. I never played all of the machines,because I kept going back to MM,TH,GOTH,AFM.I do have a better idea now of what I like,but I'd like to try a bunch of machines at the Allentown Pinfest before I decide on what game to buy. I definitely have try WOZ, and DI for starters.
    P.S
    Look for me at the Pinfest,I'll be the guy just flailing away trying to see how long I can keep a ball in play. If your behind me,don't worry,you won't have a long wait.

Thats awesome man, sounds like you are in your way to getting your first pinball machine! Have you had a chance to play the new Iron Maiden game yet? Its pretty awesome!

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-just-bought-pinball-machine-care-and-maintenance-3rd-edition?hl=buju and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.