1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CB3863A0-9C57-4968-B981-12A12A707C44 (resized).jpeg
    spektro-starter-experimenteerset-elektriciteit (resized).jpg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

Not yet,but I'd like to give it a try at the pinfest. I think I'm going to make a list of must plays for that day.Thanks for the suggestion.

#52 1 year ago

Buying a working one and fixing things as they go wrong is much better than buying a basket case that won’t work that you need to fix

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Buying a working one and fixing things as they go wrong is much better than buying a basket case that won’t work that you need to fix

Good point.I've been reading a lot of the threads for some of the NIB games, that I'm interested in. And it concern me BIG TIME, with how most of these games, need to be fixed. I'm afraid, that by the time I got it working,my 30 day warranty for parts would expire! Not a real problem for a seasoned pinballer,but I think for a first time owner,this would be a nightmare!

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Good point.I've been reading a lot of the threads for some of the NIB games, that I'm interested in. And it concern me BIG TIME, with how most of these games, need to be fixed. I'm afraid, that by the time I got it working,my 30 day warranty for parts would expire! Not a real problem for a seasoned pinballer,but I think for a first time owner,this would be a nightmare!

I didn’t even mean new, just an old one that works. I bought a $900 working hurricane five or so years ago which I ended up replacing a connector on because half the lights were out. Fixed the Ferris wheel that stopped working. Took everything off the top of the play field to clean, fixed the VUK... I didn’t know how to do ANY of that before I bought it.

Before I started pinball, I was LOUSY with home repairs. I owned one hammer and one screwdriver, and if I couldn’t fix something by hitting one with the other, forget it.

All you need is a willingness to learn and buy tools as you go. You don’t need to go buy it all at once, when a repair comes up, expect to buy a tool. Expect frustration sometimes. Expect a few days, weeks puzzling out a problem. There aren’t many “new” problems though, someone fixed it before and will tell you what to do.

Now I have a huge tool chest. A network of friends to help with repairs. I have had guys I have never met send me parts for free on here. A guy drive an hour to my house, spend half the day showing me how to repair a connector, expecting nothing. Now when my dryer breaks I tear it apart and find the fuse that needs replacing for $15 instead of paying someone $200 to do it for me.

You’re not just getting a new machine, you are getting a new skill set, a new friend group (some of my best friends I met through here), a new hobby. All you need is commitment, and a willingness to learn.

By the way, that book you bought was also the very first thing I ever bought, even before I found this website. We all gotta start somewhere.

CB3863A0-9C57-4968-B981-12A12A707C44 (resized).jpeg

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Before I started pinball, I was LOUSY with home repairs. I owned one hammer and one screwdriver, and if I couldn’t fix something by hitting one with the other, forget it.

OK, that's a little scary. LOL.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.75
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 89.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 32.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside