Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by DirtyDeeds
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

laguardia-pinball.jpg
    Safety_Zone_Pinball_9.jpg
    Safety_Zone_Pinball_3.jpg
    Flyer.jpg
    Safety_Zone_Pinball_7.jpg
    Safety_Zone_Pinball_1.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    Bumper_007.jpg
    Bumper_006.jpg
    Bumper_004.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Its a Buckley Favorite. In nice shape. Needs a good cleaning and the cabinet needs re-stained. Now I have at least one pin from every decade from 1930's to the 80's.

Jason

#2 11 years ago

congratulations !
    I still have a Bally Bumper from 1935 waiting for restoration..

#3 11 years ago

I have a 1932 "Jiggers" and a 1934 "Safety Zone" pin....Finding out pricing is very tough due to the lack of comparative sales. I would say that most of the older pin games from this era sell for $300-$500 assuming they are complete and in good condition. Games outside this price range are in poor condition or very rare examples justifying a higher price.
    G

#4 11 years ago

Congrats! These early pins are shunned by most but can be
    very challenging. Have a few very early pins myself and buy
    them whenever they show up for a reasonable price.
    Steve

#5 11 years ago

I have four early pins, starting with the oldest

1876 M. Redgrave Parlor Bagatelle
    1931 Gottlieb Baffle Ball
    1932 Bally Hoo
    1933 Seeburgs, Worlds fair Jigsaw.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#6 11 years ago

Nice pickup. Lets see some pics

#7 11 years ago

interesting score - very

#8 11 years ago

Congrats. I have a 1932, Golden Comet by Field Manufacturing Corporation.
    Fun stuff.

Kim

#9 11 years ago

You can win bar bets with the following question: "In which year was the most pinball machines made?"

The answer is: 1932.

#10 11 years ago

Love to see pictures from all of you. Please post these gems

#11 11 years ago

1936 Bally Bumper.

Bumper_004.jpgBumper_004.jpg Bumper_006.jpgBumper_006.jpg Bumper_007.jpgBumper_007.jpg

2 months later
    #12 11 years ago

These are cool pins .....I just picked a 1934 bally fleet flawless condition ......and it's the one I play the most .....

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

1936 Bally Bumper.

Wow. That's a beauty.

Kim

#14 11 years ago

Very sultry! Congratulations!

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

1936 Bally Bumper.

What a pleasantly optimistic choice of wording to use "game complete" instead of "game over". Kinda funny in a charming, old-timey way.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Wow. That's a beauty.
    Kim

Thanks, Josh and I play this a lot for a buck a game and he usually comes out ahead.
    The game was stored under a house and the totalizer and the bell mech were frozen.
    It cleaned up really nice and now works 100%.
    A lot of these have the cloisonne Bally emblem on the front missing, the kids would pop them off with their pocket knives.
    Kids really like putting a nickel in the coin slide most have never seen one, it takes 5 cents for 5 balls.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from SchertzPinball:

Its a Buckley Favorite.

Pics... I have a game called Favorite too... can't remember the manufacturer though... it might be the same game... it has an almost full size backbox, but is very thin because there's nothing in there except a few bulbs...

The ultimate collectable game from this era has to be Contact, the first game with electricity... now that's a game changer if ever I saw one

#18 11 years ago

as stated a few times above, would really like to see some pics- there so awsome!

#19 11 years ago

Here are mine:
    1932 Jiggers and 1934 Safety Zone

// Error: Image 79932 not found //

#20 11 years ago

Here are mine:

IMG_0447.jpgIMG_0447.jpg Safety_Zone_Pinball_1.jpgSafety_Zone_Pinball_1.jpg Safety_Zone_Pinball_7.jpgSafety_Zone_Pinball_7.jpg

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from gsrogers:

1934 Safety Zone

That game looks excellent, a lot going on for such a vintage machine, and it looks in really nice shape too!! I guess this is an early electricity game with the center hole causing some soleoids to fire and move captured ball(s) in the upper trapped area into higher point holes... those two center slots look weird... a close up of that area with an explanation of how it works would be greatly appreciated!!

#22 11 years ago

Oh man some interesting games above - someone should start a pre-war game topic
    awesome to see these 70-80 years old pins

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from gsrogers:

Here are mine:

Jiggers looks similar to Goofy.

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1061&picno=26757

#24 11 years ago

Definitely something I would be into if I had more room. I like to give interested guests a very short history of pinball introduction, but I have nothing like this to show them. My earliest pin is a 1976 EM.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from gsrogers:

Here are mine:1932 Jiggers and 1934 Safety Zone

My ten year old played a bunch of these older games at the White Rose show this past year. He really enjoyed them. Just yesterday he was telling his little Brother about them. Glad to see they are still maintained!

#26 11 years ago

The Safety Zone pins is really cool...I have never seen another one. The electric part is very simple...just a flashlight bulb under the Green light. When you drop in the "Traffic Light" hole it will light up. Hitting that hole also gives you a free ball....the same ball basically goes back to the shooter ball area. At the same time the ball runs over a lever under the playfield that raises the bars in those 2 angled lanes above the traffic light. This allows the ball to go from 100,200,300 to 1000, 2000, and 3000...look closely and you can see where those bars normally hold the ball at 100. I guess this game was ahead of it's time. Here is a flyer showing $32.50 price tag....using a inflation calculator that is around $550 today.

Flyer.jpgFlyer.jpg Safety_Zone_Pinball_3.jpgSafety_Zone_Pinball_3.jpg Safety_Zone_Pinball_9.jpgSafety_Zone_Pinball_9.jpg

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from gsrogers:

Here is a flyer showing $32.50 price tag....using a inflation calculator that is around $550 today.

I dig it. I'd pay $550 for one.
    Alex

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from gsrogers:

At the same time the ball runs over a lever under the playfield that raises the bars in those 2 angled lanes above the traffic light. This allows the ball to go from 100,200,300 to 1000, 2000, and 3000..

That's excellent!! Thank's for the description!! I'm guessing this is the first game to have a light!!?? So does the green light stay lit for the rest of the game, or does the ball create a brief contact to make it flash on as it rolls down inside the cab? I can imagine a kind of 'zig zag' pair of electrical contacts that the ball would run past causing the light to flash as it keeps making and breaking the circuit... I notice the flyer boasts a 'flashing green light'... Contact was, I believe, the first game with electricity, but it used it to move balls... Or maybe this was before Contact... Historians input required

I love that mechanical device to get the balls into the higher scoring zone!! I'm still a bit puzzled though as to how all those links (bars) work... There's the thick horizontal bar connecting the two angled slots at the bottom, and from this is a thinner vertical bar linking that thick bar to the top of the traffic light, and then there's the two thinner rods that go off and twist round to be the ball-stoppers... these two bars go underneath the upper metal 'guide rails' of the 45deg ball tracks... so I guess they can't move upwards out of the way... A photo of the game with those bars in the 'allow the balls to go to higher scoring zone' would help!!

That's a beautiful piece of pinball history you've got there!!

I see it also has the original tilt system on the bottom left, but your ball is missing... you seem to be also missing the rod in the middle... it would be great to get that back to original, such a cool talking point! You are familiar with that tilt system right...?

If Pinside had these pre-flipper games in it's database that would be on my wishlist!!

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

1936 Bally Bumper.

This game was on Property Wars tonight!

#30 11 years ago

This game was on Property Wars tonight!

Do you have the name of the episode?
    They must have made a lot of these games, a lot of them were destroyed but there are still quite a few of them out there.

laguardia-pinball.jpglaguardia-pinball.jpg

#31 11 years ago

I don't! Doug buys a house, and the pin and a pool table are inside. He carries the pin to his mom, an antiques dealer, and she tells him it's worth around $3000. It looked pretty nice, but didn't show if it worked!

#32 11 years ago

1934 Safety Zone....
    The game is in storage at the moment while I work out of the country....the green light may just stay blinking all the time...can't remember.
    The rod that goes from the green light area gets pulled down which raises the other 2 bars allowing the ball to go under it. They pivot on that thicker bar.
    The tilt plunger was missing so I had to make one out of a piece of aluminum round bar...which I "drilled" a divot in the top. Now it has a ball and works great.
    The elderly guy I bought it from had a great story about him buying the game back in the 60's from a New York "mobster" type operator friend of his. He kept it all this time until I bought it about 2 years ago. Who knows about the story but it sounded cool. He said this is the only one he ever saw....sure is the only one I have been able to come across and I searched the internet up and down for anyone having another one. I would love to know more about the history and how many others survived. It was a beautiful display in my game room. When I get back it will be set up once again.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from PINBELL:

I don't! Doug buys a house, and the pin and a pool table are inside. He carries the pin to his mom, an antiques dealer, and she tells him it's worth around $3000. It looked pretty nice, but didn't show if it worked!

LOL!

I paid 200 bucks for mine non working, mom is smoking her lunch at 3K.
    I bought mine from an antique dealer that was asking 18 hundred for it.
    She called me about a month after I made the offer and she said she was coming up to Lake Arrowhead and would deliver it.

#34 11 years ago

wooww, old school. And such pretty machines. Plunger and nudge skill.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from gsrogers:

the green light may just stay blinking all the time...can't remember.

Maybe the ball tilts over a mercury switch to turn the light on for the rest of the game and it's an auto-flasher?

Thanks for the write-up, excellent! Where that thin rod goes into the traffic light it doesn't look like it can go down any more... I guess we're talking very small movements...

It's definitely a museum piece you have there!!

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

LOL!
    I paid 200 bucks for mine non working, mom is smoking her lunch at 3K.
    I bought mine from an antique dealer that was asking 18 hundred for it.
    She called me about a month after I made the offer and she said she was coming up to Lake Arrowhead and would deliver it.

Where was this dealer located? It looks like the SAME machine!

#37 11 years ago

One of the most amazing pure mechanical games is Rockola World Series. It keeps track of balls, strikes, outs, runs and men on base.

A guy at PPM had just purchased one and was fixing it up, but he showed me how the mechanics have to be tuned just right for the game to work correctly. Must have been an early OP nightmare game to service but I bet it raked in a lot of money.

#38 11 years ago

My '33 Bally Blue Ribbon here for like the 3 people who haven't seen it
    http://www.passionforpinball.com/blueribbon.htm

Also have a '34 Daval American Beauty waiting resto
    '34 Rockola World's Series
    '36 Bally Preakness one ball horse racing payout

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

My '33 Bally Blue Ribbon here for like the 3 people who haven't seen it

That's an awsome restoration job and a super cool game... that Ford grill totaliser is stunning!!

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from PINBELL:

Where was this dealer located? It looks like the SAME machine!

Newport Beach Ca.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

That's an awsome restoration job and a super cool game... that Ford grill totaliser is stunning!!

Thank you!

#42 11 years ago

Looks like in April a 1936 Genco Rotation game will be at an Estate Sale in C.N.J.
    not much on the IPD about it - Think I'll pass but here's the link for others

cnj.craigslist.org link

#43 11 years ago

I have a bunch of flipperless from the 40's, they can usually be had on the cheap. Collectors don't want them. To me they are like beautiful antiques. When guests are here I let them play a few games for nostalgia, then they get covered up. Even though they aren't crazy valuable, they hold a place in my heart.

#44 11 years ago

Ive been looking up all these old pins and they just the prettiest machines.

Quoted from PinballShawn:

have a bunch of flipperless from the 40's, they can usually be had on the cheap. Collectors don't want them. To me they are like beautiful antiques. When guests are here I let them play a few games for nostalgia, then they get covered up. Even though they aren't crazy valuable, they hold a place in my heart.

You have some crazy machines man.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-just-bought-a-1932-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.