(Topic ID: 259495)

I Judged A Man (and his backglass) ... why oh why?

By SDM0

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sdm0.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I once went to look at buying an EM from a guy. When I got there I noticed the backglass was very bad with sections of paint cracking and pulling apart. When I commented on it he seemed surprised. He owns many machines and clearly hadn't look at this one in a while. He said he didn't know what happened because he triple thicked it.

I judged him because I assumed he did a sloppy job coating it. Perhaps he didn't get it even in spots and it pulled apart. I make sure I tape off my backglasses and give multiple even coats. I apply fairly thick.

However, my Pat Hand backglass just started cracking apart. It wasn't a perfect glass but was holding together ok. I did triple thick to keep it in that condition. And now I just noticed (1 year later) that the center figure is coming apart in huge chunks splitting. It is upsetting because I felt I was doing a good job and protecting it. What happened? The house heat is lower this winter so it is around 30-40 degrees but some guys keep these in their garages so I don't see how it that big a deal. Everyone acts like triple thick is the golden answer.

Anyone else experience problems? Am I not applying enough coats? Mine are pretty smooth and glossy when done. But sometimes the sections where light shines through are not as glossy... even after like 3-4 coats. Should I go back and put additional layers on my other jobs? I also have a Magic that someone else treated the backglass and I noticed some spots where paint is chipping off and now I am thinking I better reapply to that one. I guess I just read so much confidence online when people use triple thick that I am surprised I am having issues.

The guy that owned this machine had it in is shop on his property. The temps were not controlled in there. So, after 45 years... this backglass is now cracking apart and it is difficult not to assume it is BECAUSE of the triple thick. What am I doing wrong?

#3 4 years ago

Yeah the house is under renovation and no one is living there so it is low. I realize temps flux is hard on machines. But it is still in an insulated house and has not seen temps below 30 or above 70. I feel like that is pretty mild by comparison to where I have seen other people store machines. I thought triple thick was tough enough for a 30-70 degree range... but maybe not.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sdm0.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-judged-a-man-and-his-backglass-why-oh-why?tu=sdm0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.