(Topic ID: 239959)

I installed all these capacitors on Evel Knievel switches and ....

By AdjustFailure

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2019-04-11-09-40-47 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adjustfailure.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

After doing some reading on these forums, I replaced missing, absent or snipped capacitors (.047uf / 100V / 10%) across all these switches
on my Evel Knievel:

- both sides slingshot switches
- three right side stand up targets switches
- center stand up target switch
- all three pop bumpers switches

I had read differing opinions whether these capacitors are required or desirable but I thought I would try and see the difference.

As a result, the game seems to be more responsive and faster in general. Now I am wondering is this just my imagination or why
doesn't everyone do this cheap quick mod to make their game faster and more responsive?

Secondly, am I doing any potential harm to the components in the long run if I use capacitors where they are not needed? I am not getting
any "phantom" switch triggering or other problems.

#6 5 years ago

Very good, thanks.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

part # and link to these

I got polyester film (although I understand ceramic disc work too) capacitors .047uf / 100V / 10% from ARROWNAC.COM. They seem to be a good source, and free overnight shipping. I got this p/n QYX2A473KTP on the Arrow site. Or generically you can use a 473J capacitor.

I replaced/installed on all the switches for stand up targets, sling shots and pop bumper capacitors. These are not polarized.

Note that these are spec'd for Bally early SS games like Evel Knievel, the Williams etc are different spec capacitors.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

Are caps any use on other brands, like Gottlieb?

I just looked at my EM Gottlieb game El Dorado, there are no capacitors on any playfield switches.

But I would assume later SS Gottlieb games would use them.

But makes me wonder, would putting some .047uf caps on the El Dorado sling shots, pop bumpers and stand up & roll over switch might make them more
responsive? Anyone tried that on EM game and/or know if may cause other unintended problems ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adjustfailure.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-installed-all-these-capacitors-on-evel-knievel-switches-and-?tu=adjustfailure and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.