New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 252416)

I hung my vinyl albums as decoration

By jeffc

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PoMC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190409_190144 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0766 (resized).JPG
    20161210_220513 (resized).jpg
    20190402_182959 (resized).jpg
    AE8D3C30-0888-45B7-99A6-4848362A511D (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1457 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1456 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

I've had a few album covers hung on the wall using frames from Michael's sized for 12" vinyl records. But I had so many more albums just sitting in a box. And I did not want to individually hang too many of them. I have been thinking of a way to fill a wall with them.

I didn't really see any products or DIY ideas that could:

- hold a lot of albums
    - be cheap
    - allow easy removal for playing
    - allow easy re-arrangement as needed

So I ripped some 1x6 stock to do the trick.. Fastened rails to wall with screws, wood filler and paint. Less than $20 I think. Bottom of album sits on top of flat rail. Underside of rails are angled back to create a holding lip for top of album. Secure enough for me.

You will also notice my DIY LIGHTSWITCH idea (still working well) I described here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lightswitch-flipper-for-gameroom#post-3734328

IMG_1456 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1457 (resized).JPG

#2 1 year ago

Nice!

I think had you cut boards symmetrically (equilateral triangle) you could had just slid them in from the side and then they couldn't fall. But still a nice, cheap idea!

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Nice!
    I think had you cut boards symmetrically (equilateral triangle) you could had just slid them in from the side and then they couldn't fall. But still a nice, cheap idea!

But I wanted to be able to pull certain ones out without removing an entire row.

#4 1 year ago

Can't wait to see the mp3 equivalent.

#5 1 year ago

I sold record albums in antique malls for years and used lattice "U" channel to hold them. I just spaced the "U" channel so that a customer could lift the record into the upper "U" enough to pull the album out from the bottom. Basically the same idea as here but just a little different. Now you have me thinking about doing the walls in our basement with album covers or albums - GREAT IDEA for wall art!

Could also be used for DVD's & CD's if anyone still collects them!

#6 1 year ago

Good idea with the pair of u-channels. Would certainly be easier.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Can't wait to see the mp3 equivalent.

Realaudio maybe

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Nice!

I think I will do that however for a single backglass I want to hang. I have several feet of leftover material already cut on the angle. I can just face them together top and bottom and slide in from side. Thanks for the idea.

#9 1 year ago

If you are on exterior walls keep watch for mold behind the albums. I had an issue at one mall where I was on an exterior wall with the back of the albums & the wall getting moldy. You need air movement behind albums if you are on an exterior wall even if the wall is well insulated.

#10 1 year ago

I used a product called Records on the Walls. Easy in and out removal with a small channel on top and bottom.

AE8D3C30-0888-45B7-99A6-4848362A511D (resized).jpeg
    #11 1 year ago

Looks great!

#12 1 year ago

What a great idea and good use of the albums when not in play. Knowing how easy it is to stream music or rip MP3's these days, I really appreciate albums for their art - and this is a perfect & practical way to display them. Kudos!

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from eagle18:

I used a product called Records on the Walls. Easy in and out removal with a small channel on top and bottom.[quoted image]

Looks like a good solution. Thanks for sharing.

#14 1 year ago

We've had our bar and gameroom decorated with album covers for years. Any vinyl worth saving was given to our son since he has a turntable. We just wanted the artwork on the walls and had fun keeping an eye out at yard sales and fleamarkets for albums we owned back in the day.

20190409_190144 (resized).jpg20161210_220513 (resized).jpgIMG_0766 (resized).JPG20190402_182959 (resized).jpg
    #15 1 year ago

That is a lot of records! Looks cool.

#16 1 year ago

how are those hung pmoc?

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from BBC:

how are those hung pmoc?

Just lightweight double sided tape. I wasn't concerned about the paint because we only take an album down to replace with a different one we find. If we ever move, the walls would need to be re-painted anyway.

Not recommended if you rent or lease. lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 8.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Boards
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 39.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside