(Topic ID: 108524)

I highly doubt anybody would fall for this ad but...

By boscokid

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7206838ebe75d0e810e6caecca52efecdd7d5073.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

let's see
    joined today - check
    stock photo - check
    no price listed - check
    no activity except this ad - check
    profile location unknown - check

location "bear city" doesn't exist in Delaware - double check

AMBAKA

Joined the Pinside:
    November 4th, 2014
    Last seen on the site:
    November 4th, 2014

7206838ebe75d0e810e6caecca52efecdd7d5073.jpg7206838ebe75d0e810e6caecca52efecdd7d5073.jpg

Indiana Jones pin ball machine for sale
    2014-11-04 04:05
    Bear City, DE, USA
    Fully restored (shopped)
    By Ambaka Offer

#2 9 years ago

So with this post i also looked for a place to notify a mod about a suspicious ad. Is there a process in place? Should i have started a thread in the Mod forum? or is this the correct spot?

#3 9 years ago

My latest purchase started out the same way except no photo and no location, but it did have a price. Turned out to be legit.

#4 9 years ago

Why exactly is this something people should stay away from. If I did a Google search for pinballs and pinside market came up, I would create an account and list it for sale. Why is this something people shouldn't persue if they are interested, who cares that they are not a regular on pinside?

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Why exactly is this something people should stay away from.

Because it looks like Allen Shoppe's garage door ?

LTG : )™

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Because it looks like Allen Shoppe's garage door ?
    LTG : )™

Haha your right! I dis not notice at first glance. Highly unlikely but maybe they purchased from him?

#7 9 years ago

http://www.buynsellpinballmachines.com/ads/indiana-jones-pinball-machine-sale/

"We sell complete restored pinball machines at very affordable and competitive prizes and we ship our machines all over the globe.If you are in need of a pinball machine then get back to us for more details. We also have our forwarders who are responsible in shipping our machines to different destinations."

The first google result for "146 fox hunt dr Bear City Delaware 19701" shows a MoneyGram location inside of an ACME Market in the Fox Run Shopping Center there, which would be super convenient for paying for your pin. Totally legit!

#8 9 years ago

There was a LOTR ad earlier today that ended up being a scam with an IP from Cameroon. So I think people should be safe until we can figure out how to better identify legit vs scam stuff.

#9 9 years ago

well what about this one? from the pinside market place. guy has account since sept probably when he placed ad? no profile, no karma, no forum chat. what are you to think. he just wants an email address of a live person.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/14943

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

There was a LOTR ad earlier today that ended up being a scam with an IP from Cameroon. So I think people should be safe until we can figure out how to better identify legit vs scam stuff.

It's real simple fix . Trusted & established members should be the only ones to post ads in the marketplace. (pinside)

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

well what about this one? from the pinside market place. guy has account since sept probably when he placed ad? no profile, no karma, no forum chat. what are you to think. he just wants an email address of a live person.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/14943

Looks legit to me. Price is right for condition and not everyone is interested in using pinside for all of its worth. A lot of the old ads (and some current ones) on mr pinball read like telegraphs and were legit.
    Did you Google for the email address?

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

Did you Google for the email address?

no idea what you mean.

i was just reading this thread a little and well got me curious to look over on pinside market and well when i saw no profile, no karma, no chat well no interest in contacting to me it is one big red flag.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

no idea what you mean.
    i was just reading this thread a little and well got me curious to look over on pinside market and well when i saw no profile, no karma, no chat well no interest in contacting to me it is one big red flag.

Do a google search for the email address. If you find posts elsewhere saying "I was ripped off by this guy" then that might be useful

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

So with this post i also looked for a place to notify a mod about a suspicious ad. Is there a process in place? Should i have started a thread in the Mod forum? or is this the correct spot?

Normally on a normal post, you'd just hit the report button to send a report to the moderators. Since this is a market ad and not a post, the best bet would be to start a Moderator Feedback thread, since those are alerted to the mods and honestly with so many threads these days we may otherwise miss this.
    On the main forum page, under the Pinside subforum, is Moderator Feedback. This is a private thread that only the person starting the thread and the mods/Robin can see. This way we are alerted and can look into it. It's harder to prove anything on a market thread, but we know there have been a few email-seeking scams here and there so we'll definitely look into them.

#15 9 years ago

There are a lot of these seeming to pop up on the Market Place here recently... There is a Medieval Madness that looks pretty fishy as well...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/15577

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

PM Robin he will look into it...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-highly-doubt-anybody-would-fall-for-this-ad-but and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.