7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinballslave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

b65368ba045eef7f7746f52f5ca42bff.jpg

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 7 years ago

dgpinball, you sir are my new hero. Just checked out the profile after reading your post. Wow!

#52 7 years ago

I have read posts from Canadians that the country doesn't have any pins - now I see why - the pins are all in dgpinball's collection.

#53 7 years ago

You can store your Shadow and Tommy at my house I will keep them 100% running and polished.

#54 7 years ago

I am out of room as well. I could start storing them in the garage, but it's not climate controlled and I really do not want to start rotating them in and out.

#55 7 years ago

I've already converted my garage into living space. My "STARTER" home has a 2/3 rds basement that i can only cram 5 machines in with a pool table. I've been in my starter home for 16 years!

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Running out of room is the worst. I'd rather be out of money than room. Once your out, you need a new house, and that's a lot harder to do, than to come up with funds for the pin that's next on your want list.

Harder, but not impossible...

#57 7 years ago

10 pins always seemed like a nice round number for a collection.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Yup,
    That's my target. I'm at 8 now and with pre-orders on 2 more. Sadly, I'm already looking at number 11
    Unfortunately, while the kids are still small, my basement is part play room and part pinball space. I can only fit 5 at home for now and the other three are in my design studio at work. Eventually, I'll be able to house 9 pins in the basement and maybe another 1-2 at the office. Good enough for me.

#59 7 years ago

I know more space is not impossible, but it's much easier to buy your next pin, than it is to expand your house, or buy/rent space away from you house.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-Practice:

I have read posts from Canadians that the country doesn't have any pins - now I see why - the pins are all in dgpinball's collection.

There's lots of pins up here, in fact I have 2 friends who have way more than me!!

#61 7 years ago

It's on my list to buy, played it a few times and iot seems really cool for a S11 game.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Agreed. And then I brought my eleventh. Dammit.

#63 7 years ago

I think everyone should stop buying games after about 6 or 7 tops. After that you're just hoarding or OCD about getting more titles and having the best collection or something and you're likely keeping pins that you don't play that much out of circulation for everybody.

I'm sure 100 or 1000 people will now say "I play my pins everyday" or I'm the party meister and I have parties every week where all my friends play my pins. And that's GREAT if true. But I think there are a lot of people with a room full of A (or B snd C) titles that never get played and they keep adding more and more games to the collection, building home additions to fit their games, putting them in storage, whatever. Stop the madness. It's unhealthy, really.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I think everyone should stop buying games after about 6 or 7 tops. After that you're just hoarding or OCD about getting more titles and having the best collection or something and you're likely keeping pins that you don't play that much out of circulation for everybody.
    I'm sure 100 or 1000 people will now say "I play my pins everyday" or I'm the party meister and I have parties every week where all my friends play my pins. And that's GREAT if true. But I think there are a lot of people with a room full of A (or B snd C) titles that never get played and they keep adding more and more games to the collection, building home additions to fit their games, putting them in storage, whatever. Stop the madness. It's unhealthy, really.

Mike Pacek and Sam Harvey, are you reading this? ;o)

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Mike Pacek and Sam Harvey, are you reading this? ;o)

Both mega junk collectors....Mike is border line junk though.

#66 7 years ago

I can see it now... "Pinball Hoarders"
    I don't know about you, but I would watch that show.

#67 7 years ago

It's true man. I hate to say it, because part of me wants to be that guy. I love pinball. But how many are enough? It's like guys that hang rare or expensive guitars on their walls and don't play them. There comes a point when it's too much...and everyone loses out. THAT is the main reason pins have become so pricey. Because people accumulate more than they require but can't let go. Then more people do it, because monkey see monkey do...and because fear sets in, that you'll never forgive yourself if a popular pin you sold explodes in value. Or that you'll never ever get it again. I have that feeling and I only have two pins! But it's voo doo man. It's slow death. It's living in the past instead of living in the moment with an eye on the future.

peace out

#68 7 years ago

Yea, the hoarding thing is the downside. IF I can't have the game setup, so at least someone can enjoy it, It can't stay....it's that simple. I don't want to be one of these guys that has endless games, sitting on end, rotting away. Let someone who's looking for that game, buy it and enjoy it. Kind of a dickish move to hoard it up, just so someone else can't have it. I can understand if you have one or 2 that are a project, that your going to do a mass restoration for yourself. But when you have 10 games that have been sitting (waiting for restoration) after about 3 years..it's not going to happen. Let a newbie get a chance to restore it. Once my friends are out of pinball floor space, I have to be done buying for good.

#69 7 years ago

I only had room for three, we moved, now I have room for 6 comfortably, 9 if I get inventive. 6 is a good round number for me though. I can play them all frequently enough where it doesn't seem like they are just taking up space.

#70 7 years ago

I actually do have weekly parties. It's nice to have more than 6-7 pins and it's nice to have a small overflow. That allows me to rotate the line up weekly so that it's always different. Besides, you really are no judge for what someone else should do anyway. If I can afford it, why not? Games that aren't played are eventually sold. But I don't sell them right away. TZ, for example went unplaced for several months then was recently rediscovered. That's the whole point in having a larger collection.

#71 7 years ago

Impossible to set a number. If someone said 1 or two max would you abide?

It's human nature. There's places in the world they have NOTHING but family, clothes on their back, a daily meal, and a belief in a god.

There are the haves, and the have nots. We that have aren't any better off than those that don't. I've seen it first hand, here at home and overseas. But it's the way we are, coupled with supply and demand. There's no feasible way to put a number on what's acceptable that all would agree with. It's personal choice. There's someone that will always have more, and less. Happiness is when you know you have enough, and no one but yourself can decide that for you.

BTW I'm selling my Tron. I'll be down to 10 pins. A personal triumph, dammit.

Brian

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

If I can afford it, why not?

Well, I think there are probably a lot of reasons, but hey, to each his own.

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Impossible to set a number.

No it's not. I set my number based on my opinion. Everyone sets their own number....but by the looks of this thread it sounds like some people aren't really in control of themselves. Even if it's pinball, that strikes me as a less than optimal place to be. But judgements of self control aside, yes I think pin hoarders may have a negative impact on pricing and supply and thereby a negative impact on the hobby.

#74 7 years ago

No it's not. I set my number based on my opinion. Everyone sets their own number....but by the looks of this thread it sounds like some people aren't really in control of themselves. Even if it's pinball, that strikes me as a less than optimal place to be. But judgements of self control aside, yes I think pin hoarders may have a negative impact on pricing and supply and thereby a negative impact on the hobby.

How would you define loss of control? If someone set a "moral" limit of 2 would you abide? If they said you lost control by having three would you think they're nuts?

#75 7 years ago

Boo, I thought you were kidding at first FamilyArcade, but you are really serious about that? If you were king for a day you'd redistribute pinballs out of the hands of those who have spent their own resources to aquire more than you think they 'need'... shame

#76 7 years ago

Yea. This really is a dumb argument. I buy what I can afford and what I want. I'm offended that someone else has the nerve to tell me I need to exhibit self control. I don't need self control. Perhaps you need self control in what you write? I am living well within my means. I have no debt and am free to spend my play money on whatever I want. My gameroom holds 25, my shop 10. I'll end up owning 35 pins.

Next, if me buying the pins I want causes your prices to go up then cry me a river. I couldn't care less. That's your problem not mine. But my pins are restored, used, and well maintained not just sitting on their backs in some warehouse. Every pin I got that wasnt NiB has had a lot of fixing up done to it and is a way better machine than it was. That's healthy for the hobby. Further, the higher the prices of the existing pins, the better the new pins from stern and jjp will sell. This keeps new pins being created and released. Totally healthy for the hobby.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

My gameroom holds 25, my shop 10.

You suck.

I'm a 5/5. I can push it to 10 in my shop but then I have to park on the driveway.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

You suck.
    I'm a 5/5. I can push it to 10 in my shop but then I have to park on the driveway.

That's how I feel about the guys who have basements that hold 100. Lol

#79 7 years ago

Who are you to tell anyone how many pins they should have or what # starts hoarding or OCD LOL. I wonder why your on this site or even owns pins with a comment like that. Anyone that loves a hobby would only dream to have the space and time to indulge cheers.

#80 7 years ago

One man's hoarding is another man's collecting, and I certainly don't feel obliged to explain or justify why I have collected what I have in the last 25 years to you.

#81 7 years ago

You have to start making more money or winning the lotto

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Once your out, you need a new house

That's the dilemma I was in, and I opted for the new house... with a VERY big garden to build the special gamesroom in to put the expanding collection... When I got into this hobby I didn't realise just how many keepers there are out there!!

Quoted from dgpinball:

it can also lead to uncontrolled buying.

You got that one right!!

#83 7 years ago

some people aren't really in control of themselves. Even if it's pinball, that strikes me as a less than optimal place to be. But judgements of self control aside, yes I think pin hoarders may have a negative impact on pricing and supply and thereby a negative impact on the hobby.

Personally I don't care what impact I have on pins or the hobby, I don't even consider it... if I want a pin badly I'll try and find it... If we all considered what effect our buying has on the things we want, we'd go mad wouldn't we? As regarding self control, you're right, pinball controlls me (less so now than before, now my kids control me, and my partner, and my job...) is it healty? I don't know... is being a control freak healthier? Is a person who collects stamps healty if he already has 1000, and still wants another one It's all a question of space, money and passion to me...

But it's voo doo man. It's slow death. It's living in the past instead of living in the moment with an eye on the future.

You might have a point there... you could say a long life is a slow death, but it doesn't stop me wanting to live.

You say you've got self control, and that makes you healty... but what's controlling you is control itself... your control is stopping you from buying and enjoying what you want... is that healty, to be controlled by the desire to control yourself to not get what you want? or is it more healthy to allow the desire to have something to let you get it? Worrying about what you do and it's effect on the world market and controlling yourself not to have what you want seems more f**ked up to me than simply buying what you want... So who's free and who's being controlled here?

#84 7 years ago

No it's not. I set my number based on my opinion. Everyone sets their own number...

Better phrased that way than stating that everyone should stop at 7...
    7 seems more like a minimum to me (one per decade since the 60's + 1 rotating)

by the looks of this thread it sounds like some people aren't really in control of themselves. Even if it's pinball, that strikes me as a less than optimal place to be. But judgements of self control aside, yes I think pin hoarders may have a negative impact on pricing and supply and thereby a negative impact on the hobby

Negative impact on pricing? Perhaps. Negative impact on the hobby? I don't think so, to the contrary. Many wonderful old Pins would be lost without pin hoarders. If you have 90+ pins, then it cannot be all A-titles, so these guys are collecting rare / less frequent pins and I am thankful for that.

#85 7 years ago

Pin addiction is a running joke in this hobby. It's become a cliche. The title of this thread is I have to stop buying games ... But then he says he can't! Even though he's out of room. Does anyone see a problem here? Lol.

All you guys with your libertarian panties in a bunch relax. You can all have as many machines as you want until I become pinball Czar in the next Obama administration. ;/)

#86 7 years ago

A couple clarifications to the JBSers out there...when did I say I was in control of anything? And when did I tell anyone what to do? This whole thread is about people admitting they have a self control problem! Not about me telling them they do!

I commented on what other people admitted about themselves and then offered MY opinion on that as well as musing on what I think happens to pricing when individuals own so many machines that it impacts supply.

Pretty hypocritical reactions to an opinion by people that don't want to be told what to do. I liked the finger wagging though, Dikembe

#87 7 years ago

I'm limited by my wife to 4, personally. Of course, I own 6.

#88 7 years ago

My wife wants Tron and/or Monster bash. But right now I took up all the space, so she doesn't get a pick, until she shows me that she plays more than once a month. TAF and TOTAN keep her occupied enough anyway. When I get a new house and have the space for 35 that I want, then I may surprise her with one of those.

#89 7 years ago

And when did I tell anyone what to do?

When you wrote :

I think everyone should stop buying games after about 6 or 7 tops.

#90 7 years ago

No. I said "I think everyone should stop..." not "Everyone should stop".

That's an important distinction that you and others here have entirely FAILed on.

#91 7 years ago

Pin addiction is a running joke in this hobby. It's become a cliche. The title of this thread is I have to stop buying games ... But then he says he can't! Even though he's out of room. Does anyone see a problem here? Lol.
    All you guys with your libertarian panties in a bunch relax. You can all have as many machines as you want until I become pinball Czar in the next Obama administration. ;/)

Obama, huh? So this really is about redistribution of wealth. Socialism rears its ugly head. Put your pins where your philosophy is: you have three pins, pick someone out on Pinside with one, and give them a pin.

Otherwise, put a clamp on your pinball proclivities or pound a hammer and suck on a sickle. Plus, change your name. It is too close to the Pin Family. It saddens me that my friend may be mistaken for you.

Show some origination. Oh, sorry, communists cannot think for themselves.

No smilies here.

Dan

#92 7 years ago

But you know what, this thread is mostly about space concerns and less about "I just can't stop buying" so my opinions here are misplaced. Thats on me.

I've seen threads - and heard plenty of stories- on pin addiction and over buying and broken marriages etc. which is more where the root of these opinions are coming from. I would never tell anyone what to do with their money...but I might be thinking sometime " sheesh, open an arcade already, and let others play this awesome collection"!

#93 7 years ago

A couple clarifications to the JBSers out there...when did I say I was in control of anything? And when did I tell anyone what to do? This whole thread is about people admitting they have a self control problem! Not about me telling them they do!
    I commented on what other people admitted about themselves and then offered MY opinion on that as well as musing on what I think happens to pricing when individuals own so many machines that it impacts supply.
    Pretty hypocritical reactions to an opinion by people that don't want to be told what to do. I liked the finger wagging though, Dikembe

BS. The poster did not start a thread about self control. It was about running out of room. You were the only one that started a huge rant about everyone that has more than 7 is OCD and out of control. You went on and on and on about it being bad for the community and were pretty insulting. So yea, just because you can't afford more than 3 pins, you shouldn't be bagging on the rest of us.

#94 7 years ago

Ok Dan, I think you just closed down the thread. Have a drink and go to one of your John Birch meetings and try and chill out a little. And I'll change my name when you make me.

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

BS. The poster did not start a thread about self control. It was about running out of room. You were the only one that started a huge rant about everyone that has more than 7 is OCD and out of control. You went on and on and on about it being bad for the community and were pretty insulting. So yea, just because you can't afford more than 3 pins, you shouldn't be bagging on the rest of us.

Hey, why is it these opinions always equal an inability to afford pins to guys like you? Talk about insulting.

Like I said to you before, to each his own. I guess that wasn't good enough for you the first time.

#96 7 years ago

Hey, why is it these opinions always equal an inability to afford pins to guys like you? Talk about insulting.
    Like I said to you before, to each his own. I guess that wasn't good enough for you the first time.

No. You can't begin a huge rant with "to each his own" or "no offense intended" and expect no backlash. How's this sound: "Bummer you cant afford more than 3 pins, but to each his own...". Better, right?

#97 7 years ago

Ok Dan, I think you just closed down the thread. Have a drink and go to one of your John Birch meetings and try and chill out a little. And I'll change my name when you make me.

Thread continued. I have plenty of experience with Communism and know how destructive it is. So tell us who you are giving a pin to ?

How about you change your name out of respect and decency to establish one based on your own identity? They are just too close, but I could be wrong.

Dan

#98 7 years ago

And I'll change my name when you make me.

TPF:

You are invited to the pin party on Sept 29 at my home. Should be a good time with lots of positive responses so far, good food and drink. In addition to my collection, there will be a CC, MB, maybe Getaway, Royal Flush, trying to get someone to bring their BSD and I may have a PM and a RFM here as well in the garage.

No ill feelings, come and play pin with us. There may be some pins you have not been able to play yet. You and I will play three games on three different pins in a mini tournement. If I win, you change your name from here after the last game. If you win, I offer you a sincere public apology on Pinside and reimburse you for gas.

Let's settle our differences with honor like men.

Dan

#99 7 years ago

Oye, this thread is getting ugly. Time for a crappy attempt at levity.

b65368ba045eef7f7746f52f5ca42bff.jpg

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Oye, this thread is getting ugly. Time for a crappy attempt at levity.

Can your cat come on the 29th?

Never mind. Your cat obviously has no self-control either. Come to think of it, he might fit right in!

Dan

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 27.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 229.99
    $ 244.99
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 109.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside