(Topic ID: 197042)

UPDATE: I have to sell my entire collection and start over...

By cosmokramer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Micky
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170908_210251 (resized).jpg
20170908_212319 (resized).jpg
20170908_211009 (resized).jpg
20170908_210959 (resized).jpg
20170908_210742 (resized).jpg
20170908_210716 (resized).jpg
20170907_073916 (resized).jpg
20170907_073743 (resized).jpg
71t-TERdruL._AC_UL320_SR212,320_ (resized).jpg
DSC04169 (resized).JPG
DSC05221 (resized).JPG
IMG_1055 (resized).PNG
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

China has no reason to do that, and we don't talk politics around here.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Well Kosmo
At least 3 of us think you should BUY MORE PINS instead of future negative home equity.
Start drawing up those WTB ads!

If I buy NIB I can live in the box...then every new pin is a room addition...

#53 6 years ago

Downsized once, never started over, many years ago.

If I kept every game I have owned I would have needed a four story warehouse with 25k SF, freight elevator, and a 30 ft moving truck.
A nearly impossible task without overtaking a person's life as a collector not dealer or broker.

This situation does happen, life gets in the way of hobbies, and their are more responsibilities and priorities than pinball.

Normal and objective reason than a person clawing at games to the grave and sacrificing their family.

If you do restart you are more "fine tuned" what you will buy, and take the knowledge with you.
It also provide better understanding of what you want from the hobby in the long term.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

We're in another bubble right now IMO
A good time to buy a house is 5 years ago... or 5 years from now.
I don't know shit tho. Just seeing the SP500 near 2500 pts & sky high real estate prices make me think we will see SHTF soon.
Hopefully I'm wrong because I like money.

I feel the same way. You'll know what I'm talking about being as though you are in the StL Metro area. I bought my first house in Kirkwood in 2005 for $242,000 (1,300 sq ft) and had to pay over asking to ensure I could get it after seeing first day on market. I had been looking for a while. The previous owner bought three years earlier and, as far as I can tell, didn't put any extra money in. They made $100K; talking about good timing. Due to divorce sold 1.5 yrs later for only a few grand more than purchased. I was already pushing the limit on pricing.

For the past couple years I keep hearing about friends and family having to practically bid for houses after the first day on marker. Houses in my current Kirkwood neighborhood are selling without even a for sale sign as the older people die or go to retirement homes. Maybe it is bubble, or market catching back up. Don't know.

I feel the OP's situation. I sold my one pin along with other stuff to buy a daily driver free and clear.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I have always known that at some point I will have to sell it all, not to go into too much detail but I lost about 500k in 2009
Anybody else ever start over?

2009 kicked me in the nuts too. Had to liquidate my collection and retirement accounts to live. I bought my house in the South Bay a couple years ago, and it is nice to see the value go up a bit since then. Of course, most my extra money has gone into improvements, which leaves little for pinball acquisitions. But I'm happy with just two pins, an arcade game, and a mame setup for now. Good luck, it's a sellers market in socal right now.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

{ First I want to state that I hid my collection from public view because the point of this post is not to get a bunch of PMs to buy games, they will listed in the market place soon }
I have been in this hobby for about 6 years or so, starting with an EM (honey) that I got for free. Over the years I have bought just over 50 games ( I had no idea it was that many until I looked at my collection history). Like most here I would try to buy a good deal when it came along, shop/repair it, then enjoy it for awhile and move it out. My collection today is 7 Pins and 1 Vid and has a fair market value of 40K.
I have always known that at some point I will have to sell it all, not to go into too much detail but I lost about 500k in 2009 when the shit hit the fan for those of us who are small business owners in the construction field and my home went to short sale...I had to rent a house for awhile and then just sort of got comfortable in it and we paid rent a lot longer than I had planned. Partly because we had 2 teenage kids at the time and knew if we rented for awhile we could purchase a smaller house when the kids moved out. Anyway, fast forward to now and I am liquidating the entire collection to put myself in the best position possible with the real estate purchase. Then after I get settled in I will start just like I did the first time, one basic game then work my way up.
I am fortunate to have friends nearby who are collectors and I work at the Museum of Pinball in Banning once a month doing tech preparing for the events so I get to play most games made. However not having any for awhile will be tough...
Anybody else ever start over?

Understood. Glad you mentioned Banning. Pins come and go brother.

#57 6 years ago

I had to start my collection over due to a financial situation. I got my first pin in 6th grade (back in the early '70's). It was a wood rail Dancing Dolls (if you have ever seen the movie Biloxi Blues the pinball machine in it was mine, on loan to the production company). I kept that machine through college and after marriage. I started a computer systems integration business after college and often traded services for old EM machines. I ended up with a nice collection of Gottlieb machines, a shuffle bowler, and an EM shooter. The computer business became very difficult in the early '90's so I stored my collection in my father's basement, uprooted the family (wife and 2 young children), and went back to school. After school I landed a nice job, but with the kids in school and starting a completely new career in a new state I did not have the money and space for the collection. My father got tired of storing the machines so I had to sell the collection, including my Dancing Dolls that I had owned at that point for over 25 years. It was sad to see them go, particularly since I had not been without a pinball machine since the age of 11.

Fast forward a few years and I was able to build a house with enough room for quite a few pins and vids. I started my collection over with my first DMD machine, Jurassic Park (that I have now had for 13 years). Going from EMs to DMDs was a learning curve, but I have enjoyed the new machines and have had a lot of fun building a new collection. It sucks to have to start over, but it does present opportunities to go in a different direction with the collection. I still miss my Dancing Dolls, but I will get another one some day and I found I like playing the DMDs better anyway.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

A crystal ball would be an awesome thing.

There is one in WOZ you know.

#59 6 years ago

The other thing I wanted to say cosmocramer is good luck. The joy of the hunt!

#60 6 years ago

I've had to sell it all off once and downsize another time, both during moves. You're doing the right thing and you'll be fine! If it's important enough you'll find a way to rebuild or maybe you'll move on to something else. I sold my whole collection about 6 years ago to buy a house and thought I'd NEVER be able to rebuild. I started with a broken High Speed about 6 months later and slowly but surely I was able to build my dream collection.

Good luck, and good job keeping your priorities straight.

#61 6 years ago

Can't you just sell this painting to recoup...

71t-TERdruL._AC_UL320_SR212,320_ (resized).jpg71t-TERdruL._AC_UL320_SR212,320_ (resized).jpg

#62 6 years ago

I had 12 pins. Sold off 10. Only 2 left. Kids are expensive.

#63 6 years ago

Hey, even one pin is infinitely more pins than the average person has.

Best of luck!

#64 6 years ago

Back in 2013 I had to sell off my entire collection except for my Goldeneye "project" to keep a roof above my kids heads, after their mum decided not only to steal all the money out my business account, but also run up a monumental amount of debt and to put the icing on the cake, decided to up and leave me and the kids in the sh*t.

3 years later, I was finally in a position where I had recovered and was able to start buying back games I had to sell, celebrated getting back on track and getting pins back in the house with my BM66LE as a xmas present to myself last year

#65 6 years ago

Great Christmas gift. Congrats!

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Yup...2009 we lost 400k being overweight in stocks and RE...hit the reset button and sold all pins and cars...pissed off and insanely determined, I took my last 100k and went all in on stocks...started rolling off those profits back into RE like I didn't learn my lesson and today we're sitting at just over a milly...waiting patiently for it to collapse once again in this musical chair economy with a fistful of cash ready to swoop up everything when there's blood in the streets...

$100k in 2009 to a million $ today? How did you do that? Even if you put 100k in Apple you would only have $650k today? Curious.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

However not having any for awhile will be tough...

Buy a $200 EM project. That won't really impact your bottom line, and you still keep your hands in the game.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

$100k in 2009 to a million $ today? How did you do that? Even if you put 100k in Apple you would only have $650k today? Curious.

Robbed a few banks!?

#69 6 years ago

ebay, use the word RARE a lot.

#70 6 years ago

A wise man once told me you make money when you buy, not when you sell!

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

ebay, use the word RARE a lot.

Also "L@@k"

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Buy a $200 EM project. That won't really impact your bottom line, and you still keep your hands in the game.

Well, I sort of did that....man this hobby is a sickness. I just picked up two projects, I paid 700 each. I guess this will be perfect to scratch the pinball itch for awhile and keep me in the game. I can slowly source the parts (boards mostly, both need translights and dmds, RS needs flipper mechs) over the next few months while I prepare to move. Then I set up the new gameroom in the new house and start off with these 2 games.

20170907_073743 (resized).jpg20170907_073743 (resized).jpg

20170907_073916 (resized).jpg20170907_073916 (resized).jpg

#73 6 years ago

Cozmo...wow..
Its a long drive to Bakersfield.
Good luck with restore of those 2.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Well, I sort of did that....man this hobby is a sickness. I just picked up two projects, I paid 700 each. I guess this will be perfect to scratch the pinball itch for awhile and keep me in the game. I can slowly source the parts (boards mostly, both need translights and dmds, RS needs flipper mechs) over the next few months while I prepare to move. Then I set up the new gameroom in the new house and start off with these 2 games.

Those both looked like great projects to me. Was the damage even that bad?

#75 6 years ago

I went and looked at those games, and passed on them. The damage was worse in person. I could have dealt with termite damage to the cabinets, but when they get into the playfield...

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Those both looked like great projects to me. Was the damage even that bad?

Termites damaged both cabs and the underside of the FT playfield but if I cant repair it I will swap it out and I have built and decaled cabs before. The biggest challenge will be sourcing and repairing a complete boardset.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Termites damaged both cabs and the underside of the FT playfield but if I cant repair it I will swap it out and I have built and decaled cabs before. The biggest challenge will be sourcing and repairing a complete boardset.

I knew they had termite damage but I wasn't sure the extent. That's still a couple of good projects. Its just good you get to stay in the hobby

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I assume they were fully fumigated? I've read some scary stories here about termites!

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Both are great fun games. Should keep you busy enough for a while especially with the termite damage. How bad is the fishtales playfield?

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

Both are great fun games. Should keep you busy enough for a while especially with the termite damage. How bad is the fishtales playfield?

Evidently a lot of people were interested in these two machines judging from all the pms I have received...the FT playfield is pretty trashed, I will post a pic or 2 in this thread but I plan on starting a seperate resto thread when I get there.

#81 6 years ago

Yeah, I try to start over every morning.

Good luck with the house hunt. Are you out in the Riverside area? I may have found something in your budget...

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Riverside-CA/house_type/17834607_zpid/47401_rid/150000-250000_price/543-905_mp/34.02364,-117.28798,33.840478,-117.521096_rect/11_zm/1_fr/

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, I try to start over every morning.
Good luck with the house hunt. Are you out in the Riverside area? I may have found something in your budget...
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Riverside-CA/house_type/17834607_zpid/47401_rid/150000-250000_price/543-905_mp/34.02364,-117.28798,33.840478,-117.521096_rect/11_zm/1_fr/

How many pins can you fit in 800 square feet?

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Not sure but I've got well over 30 in my 1400 sq ft house and garage with plenty of room to spare.

Plus this place has an over 6000 sq ft lot so there is room to expand. In So Cal, any house at that price is a good deal. I get a kick out of reading the past sales price history and tax assessments on those zillow listings.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Good knowledge question.

Roughly 36 games with "alley walkways" and 2-4 inches between back boxes, with some various +/- 2 games on manufacturer.
There will multiple runs of games along each of the walls. How many is dependent on their length of run.
However, the walking "lane" is at minimum of 35 inches wide.
This does not consider any older widebody games that have oversized backboxes, ultimately the determining dimension.
If there are doorways involved, this simply changes the configuration, not necessarily the number of games.

A few more games, if they are EMs from the 1960s such as GTB wedge heads, up to around 40 or so.

The key is the alignment of lanes to be able to remove playfield glass on SS titles with the lane straight corners. "Lift style" playfield glasses such as used by Bally EMs are a significant advantage in these key positions. Placing games "back to back" in this case is not an advantage as you lose more space, if the room has fixed walls.

Recognize serviceability will be a PITA, especially for EM back boxes, if not placed in the middle of backside alley runs for access.

#85 6 years ago

Family first, if you were in the bay area CA, more then welcome to hook up and play some pinball here.positive thinking, positive things happen !

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Evidently a lot of people were interested in these two machines judging from all the pms I have received...the FT playfield is pretty trashed, I will post a pic or 2 in this thread but I plan on starting a seperate resto thread when I get there.

These are the last few pics, the playfield has extensive termite damage in the playfield rails and in the back panel, these will easily be replaced... there is some damage to the underside of the playfield, mostly near the back, there is a soft spot in the mid section of the left side but it is under plastics and habitrails etc. I *think* I can repair the wood well enough to not be too noticable or affect gameplay, if not then I will swap in a salvaged playfield. I put in boards and a dmd tonight and it fired right up so I am going to proceed with sourcing parts.
I will start a resto thread and document the bug damage repair (or failure).

20170908_210716 (resized).jpg20170908_210716 (resized).jpg

20170908_210742 (resized).jpg20170908_210742 (resized).jpg

20170908_210959 (resized).jpg20170908_210959 (resized).jpg

20170908_211009 (resized).jpg20170908_211009 (resized).jpg

20170908_212319 (resized).jpg20170908_212319 (resized).jpg

20170908_210251 (resized).jpg20170908_210251 (resized).jpg

#87 6 years ago

Good luck my man! The title seems a bit misleading though...you don't HAVE to sell, but WANT to sell. Regardless, you've committed to sell some prized possessions for the better good of the fam bam. Kudos.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

These are the last few pics, the playfield has extensive termite damage in the playfield rails and in the back panel, these will easily be replaced... there is some damage to the underside of the playfield, mostly near the back, there is a soft spot in the mid section of the left side but it is under plastics and habitrails etc. I *think* I can repair the wood well enough to not be too noticable or affect gameplay, if not then I will swap in a salvaged playfield. I put in boards and a dmd tonight and it fired right up so I am going to proceed with sourcing parts.
I will start a resto thread and document the bug damage repair (or failure).

Looks like a lot of the termite damage is on replaceable parts. Hopefully the actual playfield damage is able to be repaired easy enough.
I'll be following your restore when you begin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-have-to-sell-my-entire-collection-and-start-over/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.