(Topic ID: 86374)

I have seen the (EM) light! A pinball epiphany.

By big_ragu

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

57ford012.jpg
imagesCARSGFWN-854.jpg
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I always thought old EMs and even early SSs were kinda lame.

Turns out, I had never really experienced a fully functioning machine. Literally every one I've ever tried before must have had a million miles on it and was completely lifeless. (I'm 42, btw- came of age in the SS era)

Played a Gottlieb Golden Arrow and a Bally Hang Glider last night, both machines were fully shopped and lovingly maintained. (also played a gorgeous Strikes and Spares, though it's an early SS)

I gotta tell ya, hitting the flippers on that Gottlieb was like touching a bare breast for the first time. I can't believe how satisfying and exciting it was! Plus, the sounds are wonderful. It's a very different experience from a modern SS, it's much more relaxing and fulfilling. There's something almost organic about those machines, they feel alive. I don't even mind the relatively simple rulesets- they can still be ruthlessly challenging.

I want more!!! The hunt is on for my first EM.

I guess I'm officially and oldtimer now

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

I want more!!! The hunt is on for my first EM.

I guess I'm officially and oldtimer now

OK old man, hurry up and get that machine.

If you hurry you can join our club called the "Old Farts with Broken Parts".

P.S. Glad you saw the EM light as we always keep it lit on Pinside EM.

Ken

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

"Old Farts with Broken Parts".

I resemble that remark!

#4 10 years ago

Oh, Oh. I see another "What's the best ......" Thread!

Welcome to the "Club".

BTW, that LIGHT is an incandescent bulb, not an LED!

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

I gotta tell ya, hitting the flippers on that Gottlieb was like touching a bare breast for the first time. I can't believe how satisfying and exciting it was!

So, was it hard to concentrate on that first game with a raging erection?

#6 10 years ago

You're in good territory for finding EMs at least. Not so good from fending off the competition though.

(Still plenty to go around - no worries!)

#7 10 years ago

I'm been researching online, unfortunately I have little experience with these games. I see there's a decent working Strato Flight on CL locally, might take a look.

I really love space age/sci-fi and aviation themes. Love the look of Strato Flight.

Also love kick outs and rollover targets, Hang Glider is a blast. Though as I said, I LOVE the feel of those Gottlieb flippers.

Guess I gotta do more research, I'd love any general advice or recommendations.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

More research is good. Play more games and try out Single players vs Multiplayers as they generally have a different Ruleset. Plenty of EM's left so take your time looking.

Ken

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

I'm been researching online, unfortunately I have little experience with these games. I see there's a decent working Strato Flight on CL locally, might take a look.
I really love space age/sci-fi and aviation themes. Love the look of Strato Flight.
Also love kick outs and rollover targets, Hang Glider is a blast. Though as I said, I LOVE the feel of those Gottlieb flippers.

Play as many as you can. Personally I love Gottlieb games but other makes of em's just don't hit the spot for me.

I think you may like Gottlieb 2001. Great art, 20 drops and plays fast if set up well. 2 inch flippers.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=2001&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2697

#10 10 years ago

You'd think with that Stray Cats avatar you'd have figured out retro rules a long time ago. Anyway, congratulations on your epiphany. It always feels good to have a breakthrough moment like that.

If your in Minnesota stay focused on finding desirable Gottlieb wedge heads.

#11 10 years ago

welcome to the world of real pinball...

soon you will get a machine, and you will discover the other joy of em pinball, which is fixing them...

not joking there, it's very satisfying to make something work when it didn't before... and there are several really sharp people here who provide gentle guidance...

there's a couple threads in the em forum that might help you find a game... follow along on these two:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-nice-looking-em-classics-just-came-up-on-cl/page/103#post-1564626

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-nice-looking-em-classics-just-came-up-on-ebay/page/38#post-1564783

"we" also converse about many other things on those threads...

a few other things for an "new" em person...

this is a link to "clay's guide".... worth reading through several times...

www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

this is a link to a thread where i relate how i learned to read an em schematic... it may or may not be helpful...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-schematics-how-i-learned-maybe-it-will-help-others#post-1548629

also, it's never a bad idea to get in the habit of reading "tech" threads, even if at first you don't understand them... from experience, it starts to make sense after awhile...

again, welcome...

#12 10 years ago

Strato / Super Flight is a Fast fun game. But may not hold your attention for long. Pay close attention the back glass as most are going bag. Look for obvious flaking as well as cracks in the ink which will eventually turn into flaking. A have seen a number of people over the years looking for Back Glasses so don't expect to find a good replacement if this one is bad.

Also, concerning the Targets. I have seen operator bend them outward to make it much harder to hit them. In fact, when the game is dirty and weak, impossible. They should be standing straight up and properly gapped so that a hit will score the letter. The posts guarding the targets may even have two mounting holes for liberal and conservative settings. Keep that in mind when playing it.

It is probably a very good starter game. Depending on condition, I would put the value in the $300 to $500 range. As it is not a very sought after EM title. Others may feel differently.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

I'm been researching online, unfortunately I have little experience with these games.

Probably best not to decide that Joker Poker is the machine you must have. Although I really don't see any reason why not.

#14 10 years ago

Some things to help narrow down a search:

- project, or plug and play? (will make a difference in cost)

- they are electromechanical devices, so even if plug and play, will develop issues over time. They can be expensive to have repaired, if you don't do the work yourself (but they're easy to work on)

- 2" or 3" flippers (very different playing styles; the two you played so far are 3" flippers)

- single vs. multi-player; single-player games usually allow a ball-to-ball strategy during the course of a game, whereas a multi-player will reset the playfield for each ball, making it seem like a new game each time

- artwork/theme. Matter of personal taste mostly.

- brand. Suggest sticking to one of the main three (Gottlieb, Williams, Bally).

- budget. Reconciling how much you want to spend with all of the above will usually pin down the list pretty well. Sometimes the list will be empty though, which means some other variable needs to budge.

There are several EMs for sale in the metro area at any given time usually.

#15 10 years ago

Thanks for the advice!

I'm a classic car/motorcycle guy and a tinkerer, so I'm not afraid of working on mechanical stuff and I enjoy fixing things.

I'm open to a lot of themes, too- as long as they're not TOO corny. (some of that stuff is just a little to kitsch for my tastes)

Is Golden Arrow considered a wedge head? I've seen that term, not too sure specifically what it means. I just loved the feel of it, but I'd want something maybe a little deeper. I loved the artwork on it as well.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

If your in Minnesota stay focused on finding desirable Gottlieb wedge heads.

yea, make dirtflipper work a little harder...

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

Is Golden Arrow considered a wedge head? I've seen that term, not too sure specifically what it means. I just loved the feel of it, but I'd want something maybe a little deeper. I loved the artwork on it as well.

Wedge Head refers to the shape of the back cabinet holding the Backglass. There are also "reverse" wedge heads that have been flipped over by the manufacture to look different.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

yup it is...

if you look at the "head" of the machine, notice how it is shaped like a "wedge"... thus "wedgehead"...

#19 10 years ago

I kinda maxed myself out buying my very first table last month (a STTNG), so I'm probably in the 5-600 range.

I guess I'd prefer a running project, if that makes sense. I don't want to tackle a non-running table, but I can certainly handle fixing some stuff. I guess a big concern is that the playfield and backglass are nice, that's probably the hardest thing to repair/replace.

#20 10 years ago

If you want a crash course on EMs and try some more sometime, just PM me. Fair warning though, it's exceedingly difficult to have just one EM.

#21 10 years ago

Welcome to the club! It seems to take a while for those only exposed to 1990's
or later games to discover EMs. The next level of pinball awareness is
pre-flippers and bingos.
Steve

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

I kinda maxed myself out buying my very first table last month (a STTNG), so I'm probably in the 5-600 range.
I guess I'd prefer a running project, if that makes sense. I don't want to tackle a non-running table, but I can certainly handle fixing some stuff. I guess a big concern is that the playfield and backglass are nice, that's probably the hardest thing to repair/replace.

you should be able to find something in that price range...

what you are going to find out is that "playfield and backglass" are the biggest drivers of price in the em world for any given machine... especially if a repro/replacement backglass is made out of unobtanium...

it's a bit different than in the "modern pinball world", in that most em collectors are also "em fixers"... so while i would never "prefer" a non-working machine over a working one, whether it works or not isn't nearly as important as "is it all there?" and "are the cosmetics good?"... just something to consider when thinking about how these things are valued...

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

If you want a crash course on EMs and try some more sometime, just PM me. Fair warning though, it's exceedingly difficult to have just one EM.

judging from the op's description of his feelings in the first post, if he was exposed to a crash course on your collection of toys, you likely would have to contact a doctor after 4 hours...

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

I gotta tell ya, hitting the flippers on that Gottlieb was like touching a bare breast for the first time. I can't believe how satisfying and exciting it was! Plus, the sounds are wonderful.

And it didn't cost $500.00; not that I know anything about that stuff.

#25 10 years ago

step back and take a breath, move slow don't make any rush purchases. research is you friend!
if you move to fast these em reproduce like rabbits
welcome to the CLUB!

#26 10 years ago

breast?

imagesCARSGFWN-854.jpgimagesCARSGFWN-854.jpg

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

Thanks for the advice!
I'm a classic car/motorcycle guy and a tinkerer, so I'm not afraid of working on mechanical stuff and I enjoy fixing things.
I'm open to a lot of themes, too- as long as they're not TOO corny. (some of that stuff is just a little to kitsch for my tastes)

EM's aren't really deep, just addictive as you nearly get there often but you don't!

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

EM's aren't really deep, just addictive as you nearly get there often but you don't!

i am VERY VERY tempted to take that and run with it, but alas, this is a family site...

#29 10 years ago

Hi Big! Welcome to the dark side!

I'd check your local craigs list. If nothing is there, or nothing you'd want then keep an eye on it. The best deals usually go quickly so the more you're on top of it the best chance you have.

#30 10 years ago

I think a working project machine is just perfect for a 1st timer. Me? I like to buy them cheap as possible which means non-working and a lot of labor required.
Cabinets and playfields can almost always be fixed. The main thing I inspect and look for in a junk machine is if everything is still present. Last thing I want is to get it home to find a target bank or stepper (etc) had been taken apart and never put back together again... and the associated box full of parts are missing.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

I'd check your local craigs list. If nothing is there, or nothing you'd want then keep an eye on it. The best deals usually go quickly so the more you're on top of it the best chance you have.

You mean the "light side"!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

Ragu- So where did you play a "Golden Arrow"? I just picked one up and am in the process of shopping it. I agree, it's a great looking and fast playing game, but has a very shallow ruleset. There were only 7 wedgeheads made after it, so it's near the end of the long run of classic Gottlieb wedgeheads. Long ago, I felt the same way about woodrails that you recently felt about EMs. When I played some that were properly shopped and played as they were intended to, it was a revelation to me. Surprisingly, many of the woodrail games have fairly deep rulesets and many ways to achieve a replay. Hope you find that first EM soon. Keep in mind that generally the multiplayer EMs have shallower rulesets than their single player counterparts. That is due to the fact that relay logic simply can't store each player's individual progress during the game and so must reset (targets made, etc) at the start of each new ball in play.
Welcome to the "light side"!

#33 10 years ago

Welcome to the world of "EM's"....I was lucky that I was introduced to pinball via "EM's"...Guess

that's why I never developed the prejudice towards them that "some" Pin heads have....Enjoy!

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Ragu- So where did you play a "Golden Arrow"?

At Brunswick Zone in Brooklyn Park. They have a great selection of tables, and they are all in EXCELLENT condition.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

Yeah, I have the craigslist pinball search saved on my phone, my work computer, my home PC, and my ipad. I check it dozens of times daily.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

At Brunswick Zone in Brooklyn Park. They have a great selection of tables, and they are all in EXCELLENT condition.

Cool. An EM on location? Not very common these days. See if they'll sell you the "Golden Arrow"!

#37 10 years ago

Do you see the light? scene from Blues Brothers

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

Welcome.

Most everyone like the Gottlieb's including me, but if you're a space guy keep on the lookout for a Williams Space Odyssey or Space Mission.

The backglass is a classic.

And you'll have the famous Steve Fury who knows every aspect of fixing the game. Plus I'll chime in some.

One thing a bout EMs is that there are many of us on here that are willing to help and there isn't a problem out her that one of us hasn't seen.

I'm also a classic car (67 Chevelle SS) and a tinkerer so we'll get along fine.

Bert

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from fflint_18:

I'm also a classic car (67 Chevelle SS) and a tinkerer so we'll get along fine.

I used to have a hard top and a convertable 67 along with a 66 hard top which was the (The galloping ghost)

Ken

#40 10 years ago

I currently have a 63 1/2 Ford Galaxie fastback and a 71 Triumph TR6 roadster. Also have a Honda CB500 cafe project. Big time fun!

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

I currently have a 63 1/2 Ford Galaxie fastback and a 71 Triumph TR6 roadster. Also have a Honda CB500 cafe project. Big time fun!

Had a TR6 back in the 80's. with those unique Michelin red walls.

I still remember trying to keep those Weber carbs in sync. I'd be on a date and have to stop and sync them.

But a fun car.

#42 10 years ago

I Had a -
'68 Galaxie
'68 XL convertible
'57 Fairlane 500
'62 Corvette
'48 Willys CJ2A
'72 Capri
'69 Mark III
'67 Falcon
'63 Ranchero
'68 Coupe de Ville convertible
'74 Jenson Healy
'63 Scout
'79 Scout II
'63 J-300
'72 J-4000
'78 Wagoneer
'86 CJ7
'68 Javelin
and a few others I probably forgot about. But I'm down to one Toyota Tacoma- the perfect pin hauler.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I Had a -
'68 Galaxie
'68 XL convertible
'57 Fairlane 500
'62 Corvette
'48 Willys CJ2A
'72 Capri
'69 Mark III
'67 Falcon
'63 Ranchero
'68 Coupe de Ville convertible
'74 Jenson Healy
'63 Scout
'79 Scout II
'63 J-300
'72 J-4000
'78 Wagoneer
'86 CJ7
'68 Javelin
and a few others I probably forgot about. But I'm down to one Toyota Tacoma- the perfect pin hauler.

OK. You win o-din.

Ken

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

OK. You win o-din.

I like convertibles!

#45 10 years ago

EMs are fabulous when shopped properly. They're a super fun part of the hobby since most (even nice ones) are not that expensive, they can be fixed without knowing your way around a circuit board, and often parts are interchangeable amongst manufacturer eras. (there are many people stripping old playfields for art + parts)
For me, 70s Gottlieb can't be beat, but I've yet to really explore machines from the 60s.

#46 10 years ago

Well, as long as we're bragging, my full classic car list is:

63 Oldsmobile Super 88
30 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan
58 Studebaker Silver Hawk
66 Mustang fastback (gt-350 clone)
78 Austin Mini
57 Fairlane 2 dr hardtop
63 1/2 Galaxie fastback
71 Triumph TR6
plus a few motorcyles

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that o-din had at least a few years head start on me

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

57 Fairlane 2 dr hardtop

There is our common denominator. Mine was yellow and white tutone.

Quoted from big_ragu:

plus a few motorcyles

Yep. The last one I sold off was a nice '72 SL175

Quoted from big_ragu:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that o-din had at least a few years head start on me

Yeah, I started working on cars when I was a teen, and then made a career out of it. Some of these cars were left for dead at shops I worked at and I brought them back to life. Others were recycler finds. Some were trades, and a couple were on my want list. I rarely had more than three or four at a time. When gas hit $4 a gallon, I decided to find a new hobby.

#48 10 years ago

I've literally spent every spare minute since last night researching pins (well, every spare minute that I wasn't playing pinball arcade on my ipad). My wife thinks I'm absolutely nuts. In less than a month, I went from buying my first table to watching pinballs on youtube. Is that a sign that I'm a pinball junkie?

Anyway, I think I'd really enjoy a Gottlieb wedgehead. Love the look, and I absolutely love the feel of those flippers. I'm also confident I could tackle anything other than a backglass or playfield restoration.

Although, if the local-ish Strato-Flite is still available next week I'll take a look (going to LTG's Pinball Circus this weekend). There is a Flying Carpet local, but the backglass is pretty crusty.

While scouring the internets, I also inadvertently discovered what may be my personal grail pin- Nitro Ground Shaker.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and encouragement.

The search continues!

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There is our common denominator. Mine was yellow and white tutone.

Mine was eyeball-searing red with white tuck-n-roll interior, rolling on chrome steelie rims with wide whites. Straight out of American Graffiti, it really had "The Look." Awesome car, but I got tired of the two speed automatic, manual steering, manual drum brakes.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

Straight out of American Graffiti, it really had "The Look." Awesome car, but I got tired of the two speed automatic, manual steering, manual drum brakes.

I hear ya on that! Some forget that Ford also made a car in 1957. A real eye catcher.
57ford012.jpg57ford012.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 22.50
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-have-seen-the-em-light-a-pinball-epiphany and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.