(Topic ID: 86373)

I have not come across these lamp half-cover thingies before...

By 4Max

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by izzy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6669 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN5526.jpg
    Bally_SI_lamp_shields.jpg
    notmine.jpg

#1 9 years ago

notmine.jpgnotmine.jpg

This is from my newly acquired project I only have two other machines, and not come across these brown "covers" that seem to cover sort of 50% of the lamps. I have tried searching the forum, and pbresource, but not, as yet found them (as I need to replace them - the photo attached is from ipdb as it clearly shows the 4 in question)

Any ideas guys?

thanks!

#2 9 years ago
    Quoted from 4Max:

brown "covers" that seem to cover sort of 50% of the lamps. I have tried searching the forum, and pbresource, but not, as yet found them (as I need to replace them - the photo attached is from ipdb as it clearly shows the 4 in question)

Any ideas guys?

thanks!

Not sure why you even need them if you use #47 bulbs. I would not even bother to replace them as it seem pointless as they may have been used as a heat shield for the rubbers when the original #44 bulbs were used.

Ken

#3 9 years ago

I thought they were metal covers. They might have been used on Bally Bingos too. I can only remember them appearing on Flip Flop.

I hate to say it, but it might be a good use for a Right Angle LED there???

#4 9 years ago

Or if you want the look, just paint half the bulb with heat resistant paint...I remember doing this on some arcade game back in the 90s when I couldn't find the shield, work great and you couldn't tell the difference from more than a foot away.

#5 9 years ago

I'd guess those are there to help prevent the bulbs from breaking, rather than any heat deflection.

#6 9 years ago

looks like they were there to keep the back of the target assembly and/or ball from hitting the bulb...

Quoted from CactusJack:

I hate to say it, but it might be a good use for a Right Angle LED there???

#7 9 years ago

They are listed in the 1976 Bally parts catalog as "Lamp Shield". Part number M-1779.

#8 9 years ago

They are on the game to prevent the light from blinding the player and to reflect the light towards the flip targets. I'm pretty sure these are not available anywhere as a new part.

#9 9 years ago

I found one made of brass in my Flash Gordon

Kinda cool

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Kinda cool

Same here, up top aimed at the drop targets.

1 year later
    #11 8 years ago

(bumping an old thread)

Just wanted to add, I found these brass lamp shield, on all four lamps facing the 'dead' bumpers on my recently acquired Bally Space Invaders. (I go along with the thought that they are intended to block the lamps from blinding the player.)

Bally_SI_lamp_shields.jpgBally_SI_lamp_shields.jpg

#12 8 years ago

Yep, found one on my Flash Gordon.

Quoted from Timerider:

Just wanted to add, I found these brass lamp shield, on all four lamps facing the 'dead' bumpers on my recently acquired Bally Space Invaders. (I go along with the thought that they are intended to block the lamps from blinding the player.)

They are a pretty cool idea. If they were easily available I'd use them at certain locations with LEDs that are directly visible and blinding.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Yep, found one on my Flash Gordon.

They are a pretty cool idea. If they were easily available I'd use them at certain locations with LEDs that are directly visible and blinding.

Comet has something like that, can't remember their name, Black something.

#14 8 years ago

Black Platinum!

#15 8 years ago

Was wondering about those, they're between the dead bumpers on Space invaders too.

(oops, I should read more fully, I see that's already been mentioned)

#16 8 years ago

As PinDoctor and Timerider suggests, they are to aid the player's visual obstruction. The thick switch-stack metal piece just behind the target, in front of the bulb is to keep the target itself from making contact with the bulb.

For a simple, removable fix, how about using some bulb sleeves from PBR. The improvement of glare into the eyes of the player I'm sure will outweigh a slight loss of flip-card illumination.

1 week later
    #17 8 years ago

My Williams Blue Chip has them on some of the bulbs under the plastics. There are numbers that light up and the shield focuses the light on the number and blocks it out everywhere else so you don't see it coming out from under the plastics.

DSCN5526.JPGDSCN5526.JPG

#18 8 years ago

Kinda cool

Me too. Found it when I was doing the FG playfield swap. I thought it was "unique".

#19 8 years ago

Both of my Space Invader machines had the red plastic light shields on them. (Crispy critters, of course.) Replaced them with new red tubes from PBR. Looks great, no blinded by the light.

5 years later
    #20 2 years ago

I'm fixing a Flip Flop and I'm missing one 'lamp shield'. Does anyone have a spare available?

Thanks!

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

I'm fixing a Flip Flop and I'm missing one 'lamp shield'. Does anyone have a spare available?
    Thanks!

i have painted the side that you see with black paint . works well

#22 2 years ago

Thanks... I have 3 out of the 4. I just need one... I figured I'd post first before I do something like that or bulb covers. Hopefully someone has one laying around

2 years later
    #23 3 months ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Thanks... I have 3 out of the 4. I just need one... I figured I'd post first before I do something like that or bulb covers. Hopefully someone has one laying around

Bendies work well too, if LED’s are used!

IMG_6669 (resized).jpegIMG_6669 (resized).jpeg
    #24 3 months ago

Kinda cool

+1

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-have-not-come-across-these-lamp-half-cover-thingies-before?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.