(Topic ID: 203169)

I have no idea what I am doing :) failed bulb advice.

By zephee

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Phatchit
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture (resized).JPG
spidey2PNG (resized).PNG
pidaey1 (resized).PNG

#1 1 year ago

Hi,

I just purchased my first pin; stern 2007 spiderman. Loving it but need to do a little repair work and not sure what I am doing.

I have 5 bulbs not working...three of which stopped working the day I brought it home. It's not the bulbs as I swapped out working ones and still no luck so I am assuming that it is the socket. The machine has been upgraded with all LED bulbs and all the sockets seem to be IDC Snap-On Sockets.

Do I just go ahead and order some new ones or is there something I should try first to see if I can get them working?

I tried removing the wire and reinserting on one of the sockets that is not working. It was not all that east to put back in. Is there a tool one is supposed to use to do this?

Thanks!!

#2 1 year ago

I'd put a meter on the wires to the sockets, to see if you have power/bad wire connection to socket, or no power.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from zephee:

Hi,
I just purchased my first pin; stern 2007 spiderman. Loving it but need to do a little repair work and not sure what I am doing.
I have 5 bulbs not working...three of which stopped working the day I brought it home. It's not the bulbs as I swapped out working ones and still no luck so I am assuming that it is the socket. The machine has been upgraded with all LED bulbs and all the sockets seem to be IDC Snap-On Sockets.
Do I just go ahead and order some new ones or is there something I should try first to see if I can get them working?
I (kind of) understand that the socket with a diode is kind of a one-way street. When do you need a socket w/o? I am guessing I want one with a diode.
I tried removing the wire and reinserting on one of the sockets that is not working. It was not all that east to put back in. Is there a tool one is supposed to use to do this?
Thanks!!

Your honesty is refreshing.

We have many Sterns and this issue is common. Before you buy or do anything you need to remember that the profile of a LED bulb is different to that of an incandescent globe. When replacing old to LED, the LEDs do not fit in the original socket exactly as they should. On the LED, try moving the connectors out so they touch the socket connectors. More than likely the LED bulb wires are not touching the socket connectors and that is your issue. The only thing we have been able to come up with is to use Quasars only. The wires that touch the socket go on both sides of a Quasar and you have less issues.

Good luck!

#5 1 year ago

Thanks. Lost another bulb today. Looked through the diags and figured out I have lost an entire Lamp Column (#08 ICU-U19 YEL-GRY J13-P1). All other lamps are fine.

Is it strange that they went out one at a time over the course of a week?

Off to do some more research....

pidaey1 (resized).PNG
spidey2PNG (resized).PNG

Capture (resized).JPG

#6 1 year ago

Followed the cable through the matrix column and found a frayed wire. fixed it up and all the lights popped back on.

#7 1 year ago

Congrats.

#8 1 year ago

Sweet !!! Congrats

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 1,000.00
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 28.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
North Port, FL
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 64.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Port, FL

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside