Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

OK, as many of you know, I own a good size auto repair center in Crystal Lake IL(far NW susburb of Chicago). I have several pins and arcade games in my waiting areas on FREE Play for my customers. This month, I paid my 1st mortgage payment on the building and property, NOT rent.

Anyway, the gentleman who I was renting from and bought the building from has another building about an 1/8 of a mile from me that was originally built as a Knights of Columbus clubhouse. It's 5000 square feet, 2500 upstairs and 2500 downstairs. The lower level is a ballroom/banquet room, with a bar, and has it's own parking and entrance. Right now, the upstairs is being operated as a Mexican restaurant and the downstairs remains empty. The building has been offered to me. Guess what I am thinking?????

Anyway, my idea would be keep the upstairs as a restaurant and throw the current operators out on their ear. Lease out the upstairs to a proper restaurant operator who wants to run your typical 6 am to 2 pm breakfast & lunch diner/restaurant and convert the downstairs into .......drumroll please...... a BARCADE!!!

There is nothing like this in my area. Obviously I would wait until Covid is under control.

Am I nuts? Yes? No?

#2 3 years ago

Are you nuts? Yes you are, but so are we. Good luck!

In all seriousness though, whats the population of town, whats the traffic counts where building is? What is average income? Many questions to ponder. But id be tempted too, too cool!

#3 3 years ago

sounds awesome if ya think your area will support you!

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

OK, as many of you know, I own a good size auto repair center in Crystal Lake IL(far NW susburb of Chicago). I have several pins and arcade games in my waiting areas on FREE Play for my customers. This month, I paid my 1st mortgage payment on the building and property, NOT rent.
    Anyway, the gentleman who I was renting from and bought the building from has another building about an 1/8 of a mile from me that was originally built as a Knights of Columbus clubhouse. It's 5000 square feet, 2500 upstairs and 2500 downstairs. The lower level is a ballroom/banquet room, with a bar, and has it's own parking and entrance. Right now, the upstairs is being operated as a Mexican restaurant and the downstairs remains empty. The building has been offered to me. Guess what I am thinking?????
    Anyway, my idea would be keep the upstairs as a restaurant and throw the current operators out on their ear. Lease out the upstairs to a proper restaurant operator who wants to run your typical 6 am to 2 pm breakfast & lunch diner/restaurant and convert the downstairs into .......drumroll please...... a BARCADE!!!
    There is nothing like this in my area. Obviously I would wait until Covid is under control.
    Am I nuts? Yes? No?

Go for it!

#5 3 years ago

Sounds like a good way to ruin your life and your hobby.

Good luck!

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Are you nuts? Yes you are, but so are we. Good luck!
    In all seriousness though, whats the population of town, whats the traffic counts where building is? What is average income? Many questions to ponder. But id be tempted too, too cool!

100 yards off of a major intersection, 30K car count per day. Upper median income 4 person family avg. 40K population of actual city, with a huge population radius within 12 miles.

Homework has already been turned in.

#7 3 years ago

All depends on your monthly nut. I would be very realistic with my predictions and tread lightly

Bright side the depreciation will be fantastic!

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from V8haha:

Bright side the depreciation will be fantastic!

BINGO, go over the details with your financial planner, see what they think.

#9 3 years ago

I've seen enough restaurant saving shows to know a mechanic opening up a food or drink establishment is a scary idea

#10 3 years ago

I would wait until covid is over for sure then consider it. If you’ve never owned a restaurant or bar before I would certainly be looking to partner up with someone or some bother people that have experience.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I've seen enough restaurant saving shows to know a mechanic opening up a food or drink establishment is a scary idea

Add in the fact many successful barcades are closing down and who knows when the current situation will turn around

#12 3 years ago

You should consider reaching out and speaking to Bruce Nightengale. I’m sure there are others who would be very candid.

My opinion. Pass.

I interviewed an op in Massachusetts for my podcast. It might be worth a listen. Free Play Bar Arcade.

#13 3 years ago

Sorry Bruce. Nightingale.

#14 3 years ago

Tacos and pinball. Just sayin. Maybe befriend those Mexicans, my business is located in our towns "little Mexico" and I'm getting fat. Whatever you do don't let a Mexican bakery in there, that sweet bread stuff they make is to die for.
    B

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

100 yards off of a major intersection, 30K car count per day. Upper median income 4 person family avg. 40K population of actual city, with a huge population radius within 12 miles.
    Homework has already been turned in.

Nice!

#16 3 years ago

All I got out of that was you don't like mexicans?

Also, bars, arcades, barcades are more likely to go under than be successful. In fact, that Mexican restaurant probably makes more money than you would.

#17 3 years ago

Mexican food is quite tasty if I may say...

#18 3 years ago

My family has had bars and restaurants. never again. good luck in whatever you decide to do.

#19 3 years ago

I have no idea what mexican food in IL taste like or how it sells. Does very well down here in Texas though.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

All I got out of that was you don't like mexicans?
    Also, bars, arcades, barcades are more likely to go under than be successful. In fact, that Mexican restaurant probably makes more money than you would.

for sure, keep the Mexican restaurant as you would at least have a nice rental income coming in to help supplement the money pit arcade below.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I am not a mechanic.

#22 3 years ago

K of C Pinball has a nice ring to it.

First, go to the city/township board and ask how licensing would go with food, booze and pinball/amusement games. May as well get some Illinois "Lottery" slots in the place.

Inquire about how much Insurance and a liquor license will cost, if you can even get one.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I am not a mechanic.

Well then maybe it would work out.

#24 3 years ago

Owning the building would be a far better strategy than renting it. On top of that, a paying tenant would be a huge plus.

But, first look at it from the point of failure. If whatever you install fails to earn and you operate at a loss, could you still be in the black with the other tenant paying rent?

Work up a business plan, find out what all your expenses could be, and figure out what your income would have to be to keep operating.

In theory, it sounds like it could be a good opportunity (not taking into account price, location, condition of the building, etc). But, keep in mind, no matter how enthusiastic someone is, most people generally fail at running a restaurant or bar due to any number of factors. Plus it's way more work than most people think it actually is.

Then, I suppose a fallback plan could be just renting out the bottom floor if things don't work out since you would actually own the building. I think the best plan would be to plan for a cutoff point. If after a certain amount of time things aren't self-sustaining, be prepared to pull the plug and rent the space out instead.

#25 3 years ago

Careful, can't call it a " Barcade " c&d letter to follow.

#26 3 years ago

No risk no reward. Good luck!

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

K of C Pinball has a nice ring to it.
    First, go to the city/township board and ask how licensing would go with food, booze and pinball/amusement games. May as well get some Illinois "Lottery" slots in the place.
    Inquire about how much Insurance and a liquor license will cost, if you can even get one.

100% on the slots. I have had a liquor license in the past, that should be no issue.

Keeping it simple is the overwhelming factor. Beer, Wine, sodas only, all on tap. No cans or bottles. Local breweries & wineries for the most part. Already have an inside with a Miller distributor. Do it brewpub style. Let them push to get their products in. Make money on the booze, make money on the slots. The arcade portion is pure bonus attraction. Do the pinball right and the loyal following will happen.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Owning the building would be a far better strategy than renting it. On top of that, a paying tenant would be a huge plus.

You are on the right track.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Am I nuts? Yes? No?

Do the current tenants (Mexican restaurant) have a lease, and when does it expire? You can evict them easily.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Do the current tenants (Mexican restaurant) have a lease, and when does it expire? You can evict them easily.

They have defaulted on their lease and are paying month to month...barely

#31 3 years ago

I'm not sure about non-residential, but I'm just thinking about when I rented my old house, are you allowed to pick your tenants' business if you are not going to run those businesses yourself? are you allowed to say I only want this space used as "XYZ"
    Might be a non issue but something to look into also. Don't want to sign a lease with a person saying its a restaurant then a week later they turn it into a shoe store and the plan goes south.

Quoted from vdojaq:

Lease out the upstairs to a proper restaurant operator who wants to run your typical 6 am to 2 pm breakfast & lunch diner/restaurant

#32 3 years ago

Convince Auntie-Ann's Frozen Custard to open a spot in your building and i will move to Crystal Lake and live in your building!

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I am not a mechanic.

Sure, I just meant someone that isn't in the restaurant business.

#34 3 years ago

Continue to lease the restaurant space upstairs, AND lease the space downstairs to a local craft brewing operation. Most local breweries around these parts have large open spaces, some have even walled off/enclosed rooms for sound separated activity spaces. Make a deal with the brewery to allow you space to be the pin/arcade operator. Beer....GOOD beer....seems to have a continuous supply of revenue.

#35 3 years ago

Yes, you are crazy!

But with family near Antioch, and friends in Cary.....I'll most definitely stop in for a visit if you wind up doing this.

Later,
    EV

#36 3 years ago

How does one own an auto repair shop and not be a mechanic or technician?

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jenniebear:

How does one own an auto repair shop and not be a mechanic or technician?

I haven't turned a wrench professionally since 1996. However, I have managed many a repair center until I got sick of working for everyone else. I opened my own place and have technicians that work for me.

I take care of the customers.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from DruTheFu:

Continue to lease the restaurant space upstairs, AND lease the space downstairs to a local craft brewing operation. Most local breweries around these parts have large open spaces, some have even walled off/enclosed rooms for sound separated activity spaces. Make a deal with the brewery to allow you space to be the pin/arcade operator. Beer....GOOD beer....seems to have a continuous supply of revenue.

Pretty close to my concept.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hypercoaster:

Convince Auntie-Ann's Frozen Custard to open a spot in your building and i will move to Crystal Lake and live in your building!

We have Julie-Anne's the champion of frozen custard.

#40 3 years ago

I work with a bar guy and yeah, money is in the booze, everything else is an attraction to bring them in. He just gets sick of dealing with the riff raff bad people, but if you get good bartenders etc you can keep things controlled.

Otherwise how will you deal with bartenders stealing money, no show, drugs, etc?
    I mean you could hit up bruce from slam tilt and get some tips from him too. but unless you have some great managers or bartenders, be prepared to spend lots of time there.

#41 3 years ago

I would wait... commercial property is going to take a gigantic shit over the next few years with so many closings.

rent something with a short term? sure.

Would I buy something now? hell no. Rents and prices will likely tank.

Every time I drive around my area i see more and more places closing... and there is no one to take those spaces.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha! I was going to say in 5 years you can always call Gordon Ramsey when it doesn’t workout.

#43 3 years ago

Why would you want to open a "non essential" business after seeing how quickly the government can shut you down? So many restaurants went tits up recently. Covid didn't destroy those businesses. The government did.

It would not be a wise investment...

#44 3 years ago

You could just not obey and open anyway. You wouldn't be the only restaurant/bar/establishment not obeying this BS around here.

#45 3 years ago

I think it's a pretty simple rule of thumb for these kinds of ventures. If you do not plan to be there working from open to close for the first couple of years don't do it.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

We have Julie-Anne's the champion of frozen custard.

I conflated Auntie Ann's Pretzels and Julie-Ann's Frozen custard! (Embarrassing) That shows how long its been! I need some pinball and Julie-Ann's! Heck, i could even get the wife there with that kind of pairing!

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

You could just not obey and open anyway. You wouldn't be the only restaurant/bar/establishment not obeying this BS around here.

HAHA, this exactly, every bar/restaurant in my town is open after the 2nd shutdown, with Pritzker sucks signs in front.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Right now, the upstairs is being operated as a Mexican restaurant and the downstairs remains empty. The building has been offered to me. Guess what I am thinking?????

I am curious why the existing Mexican restaurant is not a "proper" restaurant. What exactly does that mean?

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

HAHA, this exactly, every bar/restaurant in my town is open after the 2nd shutdown, with Pritzker sucks signs in front.

I've seen those "Sucks the life out of buisiness..".

#50 3 years ago

Count me in as a patron if you do. Sounds like your doing your homework and every dream has to start somewhere. Good luck, I will be there opening day to support a local business.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-have-an-opportunity?hl=theadicts77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.