11%

(62 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

23aym0 (resized).jpg
KISS Total Plays (resized).jpg
Fathom #1 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Ive got a little money for a new addition to my collection, and I’m wondering which direction I should go in. Which has better long term prospects, ie, value, playability, etc. a near mint Kiss LE or very nice Fathom?

Would love to hear some opinions before plopping down the chunk of change. Right now I’m leaning Fathom.

THanks for the input, guys!

#2 6 years ago

Hard to find a real nice Fathom and when you do you better pluck that pearl out of the ocean as fast as you can!

#3 6 years ago

Fathom by miles. Does Kiss LE have any long term prospects? Or short term? Or anyone that cares that much?
"Nearly Mint Kiss" will be available for along time coming; loooong time.

#4 6 years ago

Both are kind of overpriced for what you get.

#5 6 years ago

Fathom all the way. Tough to find a nice one and when you do it usually disappears.

Kiss LE there are a ton out there and the game doesn’t do it for me.

#6 6 years ago

If you want to get it to "collect" I'd choose Fathom.

It's highly rated and I'd possibly like to get one. I had a friend that said it gets old in a home collection once you figure out how to exploit it.

FWIW, I've had a Kiss LE for 6 months and it hasn't gotten old yet. Still the 'go to' game.

#7 6 years ago

I like KISS a lot but don't really see a need for the LE over the PRO. I was never a Fathom fan, but I'm not a fan of most early 80's pins.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I'm not a fan of most early 80's pins.

Gotta wonder what you were doin' back then when the rest of us were playing whatever games were available.

Probably dropping quarters in Pac Man I'd guess. .

#9 6 years ago

Fathom is a super cool game, but very top end price wise.

In answer to your question, I would suggest buying two pins for the same price as your options.

I’d go KISS Pro and say Paragon.

rd

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I’d go KISS Pro and say Paragon.

I'll one better that Dave! Buy a Getaway and Stars and have money leftover for beer and dinner.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll one better thatDave! Buy a Getaway and Stars and have money leftover for beer and dinner.

Hey why not buy Stars & High Speed & have even more leftover monies!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hey why not buy Stars & High Speed & have even more leftover monies!

Lotsa beer and lotsa dinners!

#13 6 years ago

Both nice games, but considering the price you can do better in the fun/$$ ratio. For that money I would get a NGG and an EBD or something along those lines.

#14 6 years ago

I'd rather have Fathom than Kiss LE, but not if I have to pay the Kiss LE price for the Fathom.

#15 6 years ago

One thing that kind of bothers me about every A vs. B thread is that a lot of people respond C, D, E, or Z. Given that the OP has a 16 game collection with some pretty high end games (including BBB) I doubt if the money is an issue. Any modern Stern vs. an early SS pin is going to be an apples to oranges comparison. I have a Kiss prem (which I really enjoy) but would love to have a Fathom. I would agree that a nice Fathom is hard to find so if he has a lead on a good deal the OP might be best to get it. His collection is mostly DMD games so a Fathom might be a good way to bring some variety into the collection.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from DefDumBlindKid:

Ive got a little money for a new addition to my collection, and I’m wondering which direction I should go in. Which has better long term prospects, ie, value, playability, etc. a near mint Kiss LE or very nice Fathom?
Would love to hear some opinions before plopping down the chunk of change. Right now I’m leaning Fathom.
THanks for the input, guys!

Wow, interesting thread . The choice of the pinball machine are so different . I have Fathom on my wish list because it is so collectable and beautiful . I however have a collectors mentality as well and that is one reason it is on my wish list . The reality is I am not a fan of that era of pinball machine game play wise .However I have played Fathom and it was the most fun pinball from that era I have ever played IMO. It is more of a passion of the collectability of Fathom that interest me .
I also Just played a KISS pro . And I loved the gameplay and music so much I went on a search for a KISS LE for the extra Bling Red armor full added 16 RGB inserts .Drop targets. Choreography of the GI lighting effects . Love Gun Multi ball levitate feature so cool. And the Kiss LE Gene Toy physical pinball lock which holds 3 pinball versus the pro that uses a virtual lock and spits the pinball out every time you shot Gene head . I found the Pro Gene toy not as good as the KISS LE for cheap drains .
I vote KISS Limited Edition it is a buyers market and it is one of my favorite pinball ever .
This is my reasoning for voting KISS Limited Edition over Fathom
Reality They are both very desirable pinball machines . Good luck .

Fathom #1 (resized).jpgFathom #1 (resized).jpg
KISS Total Plays (resized).jpgKISS Total Plays (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

One thing that kind of bothers me about every A vs. B thread is that a lot of people respond C, D, E, or Z.

23aym0 (resized).jpg23aym0 (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll one better that Dave! Buy a Getaway and Stars and have money leftover for beer and dinner.

Thanks for the input!

What’s funny is, I really should have also included a 3rd option. ‘Getaway and Sopranos’. Lol. But that would have opened a whole other can of worms

Which games would make more people want to come over to play? Stars and Getaway, or Fathom and Kiss LE? Lol . If that kind of thing mattered

#19 6 years ago

VERY different games. Personally, I don't really like Kiss and wouldn't spend the $ on it. Fathom is a classic game but it's too expensive.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from DefDumBlindKid:

Which games would make more people want to come over to play? Stars and Getaway, or Fathom and Kiss LE? Lol . If that kind of thing mattered

People come from halfway across the world to play my Stars. And Getaway is a local favorite.

But out of the two in the poll, remember you are the one that will have to look at it every day, and that's the main reason people pay big bucks for Fathom.

#21 6 years ago

I have a Kiss Premium and would love to have a Fathom. However, I would never trade my Kiss for a Fathom

#22 6 years ago

Honestly I never played a Kiss and although it looks cool I would go Fathom. From my standpoint I would try and land a Fathom now before they become even more difficult to find then they are already. It’s a great classic game and I’m sure you can find a Kiss down the road.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-have-access-to-a-kiss-le-and-fathom?hl=pmaino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.