(Topic ID: 222904)

I have 100k for 12 pins... which pins should i buy?

By Dantesmark

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    33E8744A-81DB-43B3-840A-1F40C5ABA47A (resized).jpeg
    3504C903-E345-4ADD-9AF3-7D6A56AEFBEB (resized).png
    52DF1ECC-791E-406E-8792-BC8C9E5C4E7F (resized).jpeg
    TB2_.kib77myKJjSZFgXXcT9XXa_!!2935243903 (resized).jpg
    qpwte1klsvm.jpg
    30040364_15269158430_r.jpeg
    7b2d1149499b9113c9443522485c3e5e (resized).jpg
    279AA660-786A-48FB-BFA3-7830F2F297A8 (resized).jpeg
    7D3F9BD2-1818-40CF-8216-FDAA0667F6F5 (resized).jpeg
    69D4731D-A180-47D5-BA4A-722F1CAB3569 (resized).jpeg
    299DD423-F306-42B9-97A6-89155D8D094C (resized).jpeg
    32CA07E7-7AE8-4023-9017-8A7B90BF3415 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    8E0936AE-3578-4F9A-8452-4F9F36598569 (resized).jpeg
    491BD930-1747-4912-90AE-D7BA6A6C6F94 (resized).jpeg
    There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 5 years ago

Why limit yourself to 12 pins and only $100,000?? Why not buy the entire pinside top 100 list? Or at least pins 1-20.

#52 5 years ago

If I had 100k to spend on pinball machines, I'd buy something other than Pinball machines. Give that a thought.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

If I had 100k to spend on pinball machines, I'd buy something other than Pinball machines. Give that a thought.

I think most of us would agree with that. If I only had $100k for a hobby, I would choose a different hobby. It wouldn’t make me feel good knowing I put everything I had into a low end collection. Real pinball collectors start off with $300k, and go up from there.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Heres my list so far... any other titles you would swap let me kno and i may consider it. I already have acdc and wh20, they are staying. I only have room for 12 more.
    Scared stiff
    Attack from mars
    Circus voltaire
    Arabian nights
    monster bash
    Medievil madness
    Twilight zone
    Theatre of magic
    Tna
    Dialed in
    Indiana
    Lotr

Everyone likes something different but that list is the typical cookie cutter snooze fest. If you like ACDC and TNA why in the world are you going with a full list of B/W games that all feel similar. They are great games and that would be a nice collection, but I'd sure get tired of playing that list real quick. At least throw in some more stern games an add at least 2 game before 1990.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

I think most of us would agree with that. If I only had $100k for a hobby, I would choose a different hobby. It wouldn’t make me feel good knowing I put everything I had into a low end collection. Real pinball collectors start off with $300k, and go up from there.

300k? Lol, that's poors talk. Real collections start at 500K.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

First world problems lol

We are not here to discuss about the world problems but just about pinball. That’s what we do.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

300k? Lol, that's poors talk. Real collections start at 500K.

Are you sure?
    http://www.collectionneursdeflippers.com/guillaumix#249986

#58 5 years ago

Go with the new games, no remfakes.

#59 5 years ago

I would buy a really fun and fast car and a few pinball machines.. 1932 coupe with a giant engine that just rips the tires apart. then I would get IM, Dialed In, MB, AFM, MM. But that's just me...

#60 5 years ago

Quoted the wrong post. Edited to show irobot post #46

These kind of threads always devolve into people posting their personal preferences, which I don't think is too helpful.

One guy says "I hate Twilight Zone", the other guy says "Twilight Zone is the best game ever." How does that help anyone?

To be useful, a list like this should include the most popular collector pins.

Because instead of representing ONE data point (you), it would represent the entire mass of collectors.

If you picked games that were extremely popular among all collectors, then the statistical probability of a person enjoying the collection would be highest.

Since the OP is a different person from you, the odds of him enjoying the exact same 12 games as you are very slim.

But the odds of him enjoying 12 games that are broadly popular is high.

Same thing with arcade games.

If you wanted the highest probability of a single person enjoying your collection the most, then you would pick games that were very popular across the population, like Ms Pac Man, Centipede, Star Wars, etc.

Since those games are MOST popular, it proves that they have the qualities that are enjoyed by the MOST people. So the probability of the game being liked by a single random person goes up. It's statistics.

Actually, now that I think of it, the idea works for everything.

If you were spinning records like a DJ, the chances of the MOST customers enjoying your record picks would go up if you picked the most popular songs.

If you picked records that were less popular, but better liked by YOU personally, the number of happy customers would statistically go down.

So the question should be rephrased, "What are the most popular pinball machines among pinball fans?"

So essentially you are saying buy the top 12 games from the Top 100 list as they have been ranked by hundreds of people.

#61 5 years ago

Good list but I'd swap AFM, DI ant Totan for Tron LE and Metallica LE and Houdini.

#62 5 years ago

Play some new Stern games and replace about half of your WPC stuff with new Sterns.

#64 5 years ago

You can get a Stern IJ for less than a Williams IJ and the games are basically identical.

#65 5 years ago

Im gonna need to see where you're housing these games before we decide to park 100k worth of pins in there. I would expect a killer bar/gameroom with the kind.of disposable income you have available. If not, you've got some work today.

#66 5 years ago

I’d rather have +/- 100 early 80’s games myself. But that’s me...

#67 5 years ago

I have several hobbies that i spend too much on. Lol
    At the moment i have room for 14 pins in the basement, i already own acdc/wh20, and i think 100k is a good base for getting the other 12. Money wise I can go higher if need be.

Love all the comments/opinions.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

You can get a Stern IJ for less than a Williams IJ and the games are basically identical.

Correct. They each have cabinets and playfields made of wood construction, with Indiana Jones themed art on them.

#69 5 years ago

You buy all those games you will still want to buy more games buy 4 games and no more purchases for one year

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

At the moment i have room for 14 pins in the basement, i already own acdc/wh20, and i think 100k is a good base for getting the other 12. Money wise I can go higher if need be.

Pics?

#71 5 years ago

With my limited (newbie) knowledge and preference I'd go:
    Medieval Madness
    World Cup Soccer 94
    Game of Thrones
    Star Wars
    Star Trek TNG
    Addams Family
    Fish Tales
    Whirlwind
    Attack From Mars
    The Simpsons Pinball Party
    Dialed In
    Black Knight 2000

I chose this particular list because there is a wide variety of gameplay styles in there, and I believe replayability.
    Medieval madness is a classic and the castle destruction is cool
    World Cup soccer has a unique goalie, and little kids seem to really like it if you have family over a lot
    Game of Thrones has a fan layout, and seems to play differently from many other machines. Also seems to have replayability.
    Star Wars is beloved by kids, and the rule set keeps me coming back
    Star Trek TNG has a lot of cool toys and is a fun game.
    Adams Family is one of the most fun games in my opinion. May also consider a Twilight Zone or Indiana Jones.
    Fish Tales just seems fun to me and plays a little different. This will likely be my first pin.
    Whilwind is different and has that cool spinny thing.
    Attack From Mars is soo much fun. Similar layout to Medieval Madness, but tons of fun
    The Simpsons Pinball Party has a deep rule set and is laid out rather differently. Also attractive to kids.
    Dialed In is a new machine with a big screen, plays differently.
    Black Knight 2000... I'd go with atleast one machine without a DMD or LCD. This one seems popular and was fun when I played it. Sub for a "Dr. Dude".

This list is likely different from most other peoples', but if you want to have a wide variety of machines, this is my vote.

Have fun with your new toys!

#72 5 years ago

Wish I had $100k of expendable income to put towards a hobby. You should start another thread,
    “How to raise $100k after you paid off your mortgage, cars, and other debts”

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

With all the money this guy has you think he could donate a few bucks to Pinside wouldn't you? That is what I love about people with money - they expect us poor guys to carry all the load while they talk about everything they have. Maybe if you have more money then GOD you should give some to charity or help PHOF with a donation towards expanding or maybe even send Robin here at Pinside a few bucks?

#74 5 years ago

You should be able to purchase two JJP games with that budget.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

With all the money this guy has you think he could donate a few bucks to Pinside wouldn't you? That is what I love about people with money - they expect us poor guys to carry all the load while they talk about everything they have. Maybe if you have more money then GOD you should give some to charity or help PHOF with a donation towards expanding or maybe even send Robin here at Pinside a few bucks?

His money, his prerogative. None of our business.

#76 5 years ago

You are trying to create a cookie cutter "hey look at me collection". People that buy pins based on lists and prices instead of gameplay. Is this just a troll thread? It would be kind of funny, the shallow vapidity of it all. I doubt you will play them much but everyone will know what games you have. My advice, actually play lots of different games from all eras. These top 100 lists are far from definitive, pinball by its very nature is a subjective experience.

#77 5 years ago

I'd love to see a pic of your significant other holding this list with a thumbs up. That would be amazing.
    20180810_073742 (resized).jpg20180810_073742 (resized).jpg

#78 5 years ago

No true collection is complete without a truly imamaculate pin.

E8DF1911-4E12-49CF-A95A-94892C5532EB (resized).jpegE8DF1911-4E12-49CF-A95A-94892C5532EB (resized).jpeg
    #79 5 years ago

Replace SS with BSD. Replace TOM or TOTAN with Iron Maiden . The rest of the list is solid.

#80 5 years ago

Hey OP, are there any particular themes that you are into? You could do a collection or part of a collection around an interest (SCI-Fi, Aquatic, etc).

My list is below. Has a little bit for everybody and has different styles of play.

AFM
    MB
    TOM
    Fathom
    Spider-man
    HS (1 or 2)
    Metallica
    IMDN or Deadpool (both if you want)
    TAF
    Eight Ball Deluxe
    Black Knight 2000
    Jurassic Park

#81 5 years ago

I mean with 100K and what sounds like a medium-sized basement space you could probably manufacture your own pinball machines. Why make your dreams and imagination conform to what others have created. Start your own company and start taking pre-orders now!

#82 5 years ago

Buy all the system 11’s, met,twd, and imdn then spend the remaking 60k elsewhere

That’ll give ya all the play variability you could hope for, and leave you with enough cash do do something else awesome with

#83 5 years ago

200.gif200.gif

#84 5 years ago

Hard to know what to recommend ... what is it you want? A collection that is fun to play (for you? for casual and beginning players? for sake of nostalgia?)? Fun to look at? Fitting a theme? Expected to make money from people in public?

I'm a big fan of System 11s, and I would be more than happy with a collection of just 12 of those and the left-over 80K. Similar systems, parts, wouldn't be a maintenance nightmare, etc.

BK2K
    Diner
    Dr. Dude
    Earthshaker
    Elvira ATPM
    Grand Lizard
    Mousin Around
    Pin Bot
    Radical
    Swords of Fury
    Transporter: The Rescue
    Whirlwind

In a dream world, I'd probably diversify by manufacturer and time period, and not considering maintenance headaches and parts sourcing. This is a crude example, but

1-2 EMs
    2-3 early SS games
    2-3 System 11s
    2-3 WPCs
    2-3 current companies

and then rotate stuff out as it got boring to me.

Interesting thought experiment!

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Buy all the system 11’s, met,twd, and imdn then spend the remaking 60k elsewhere
    That’ll give ya all the play variability you could hope for, and leave you with enough cash do do something else awesome with

We had more or less the same thought simultaneously LOL

#86 5 years ago

Pics will be up tonite

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from ezelljon:

We had more or less the same thought simultaneously LOL

Yea dude, system 11’s are where it’s at. At the vfw show I spent essentially all my time in the system11 area.The themes are varied and fun, and you can’t beat the value.

#88 5 years ago

Funhouse creeps me out. Had a BOP, might get that back in the future.
    Whirlwind is okayish. Just my opinion.
    Pinbots fun, but rather have jackbot.
    Not into bk or high speed.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Yea dude, system 11’s are where it’s at. At the vfw show I spent essentially all my time in the system11 area.The themes are varied and fun, and you can’t beat the value.

Definitely more bang for the buck. Some of my all time favorites are system 11 games.

#90 5 years ago

Taxi? Cant believe I left that off my list

#91 5 years ago

I would buy a couple pins and save or spend the rest on something else or put it all into an different hobby

Collecting and playing is fun but it’s gotten to the point IMO it’s very overrated and overpriced for the average collector

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Heres my list so far... any other titles you would swap let me kno and i may consider it. I already have acdc and wh20, they are staying. I only have room for 12 more.
    Scared stiff
    Attack from mars
    Circus voltaire
    Arabian nights
    monster bash
    Medievil madness
    Twilight zone
    Theatre of magic
    Tna
    Dialed in
    Indiana
    Lotr

Great list of great games.

Shouldn’t cost 100k

Shocked at the pin opinions of 2018...shitting on B/W games and recommending unplayed games like Pirates or new Sterns over the bonafide classics from the greatest era of pinball design? We’re in the bizzaro era of this hobby. If the collectors of a decade ago saw people saying to ditch B/W for Sterns, they’d laugh their ass off.
    Now look, I like plenty of Sterns and many are excellent, but none of them take away from how great the B/W 90’s games are.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Shouldn’t cost 100k
    Shocked at the pin opinions of 2018...shitting on B/W games and recommending unplayed games like Pirates or new Sterns over the bonafide classics from the greatest era of pinball design? We’re in the bizzaro era of this hobby. If the collectors of a decade ago saw people saying to ditch B/W for Sterns, they’d laugh their ass off.
    Now look, I like plenty of Sterns and many are excellent, but none of them take away from how great the B/W 90’s games are.

Meh, you can only play them so many times. Stern games are fresh and different.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Meh, you can only play them so many times. Stern games are fresh and different.

Every game offers a finite experience. The amount of times you want to play them is subjective. If this guy has never owned these games, they’re new to him. The B/W games have proven themselves to be mostly perfect combinations of design, art, sound and rules that have stood the test of time. That’s why they’re still played, collected, and remade.

As for “fresh and different”...Most Sterns have similar designs as previous games, lack of interesting mechs and interactive toys or wacky ramps of the 90’s games. Some of the math-chess rulesets are different, but divisive. I’d rather play any B/W game for 10 years straight than ever touch SW, GOT or GB ever again. I’d rather play any B/W game than listen to the boballee bobo monologues of GOTG. I own 7 Sterns...but nothing made after Metallica could replace a B/W game. The OP’s got LOTR on the list. That’s a great Stern.

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Shouldn’t cost 100k

The B/W snobs from 10 yrs ago? Good riddance to them. I deaf ear those guys. That brand/era was undeniably great, but the way look down at everything else is a joke.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Shouldn’t cost 100k

Some of the people are collectors from 10 years ago. Many of the B/W games are really fun and I'd recommend a few in every collection. But they are starting to look and feel dated and they cannot offer the code experience of newer games. I always have 3-5 of them in my collection. That is plenty for me though as they do not have the replay appeal of some of my other games. I also do not get the great art comments. Some are very good, but many are pretty horrible to look at. Most of the recent games have much better art then any of the 90's games.

#97 5 years ago

all I want to know is, where did I go wrong in life. I wouldn't or couldn't fathom on spending 100k on pins. heck, I didn't even pay 100k for my house!! so where did I go wrong in not being able to have that kind of money to "play" with?

#98 5 years ago

Op,
    If you really want help in knowing what is good to get, pm me. I have the largest pin history on pinside not even including most of the numerous duplicates. I know the must haves.

Best, James

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Every game offers a finite experience. The amount of times you want to play them is subjective. If this guy has never owned these games, they’re new to him. The B/W games have price to themselves to be mostly perfect combinations of design, art, sound and rules that have stood the test of time. That’s why they’re still played, collected, and remade.
    As for “fresh and different”...Most Sterns have similar designs as previous games, lack of interesting mechs and interactive toys or wacky ramps of the 90’s games. Some of the math-chess rulesets are different, but divisive. I’d rather play any B/W game for 10 years straight than ever touch SW, GOT or GB ever again. I’d rather play any B/W game than listen to the boballee bobo monologues of GOTG. I own 7 Sterns...but nothing made after Metallica could replace a B/W game. The OP’s got LOTR on the list. That’s a great Stern.

Agree to disagree on the greatness of games like TWD and IMDN. For me, they are up there without a doubt.

#100 5 years ago

i would get these

Monster bash remake
    Medieval Madness remake
    simpsons-stern
    Indiana Jones williams
    Houdini, game of thrones, or wizard of oz
    star wars pro or guardians of the galaxy pro
    aerosmith or metallica
    LOTR
    Iron Maiden
    Batman 66 or spiderman vault
    circus Voltaire
    monopoly

There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-have-100k-for-12-pins-which-pins-should-i-buy/page/2?hl=jenniebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.