(Topic ID: 311121)

This new sticky Market Ad feature SUUUUUCKS

By delt31

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“New sticky ad - does it suck?”

• Sticky ads suck 57 votes
      93%
    • I love sticky ads 4 votes
      7%

(61 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

outrageous-jackiechiles.gif
    289F1A59-6EFE-4709-9EA7-EAEF5ABD6EB9 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. As always, I appreciate it.

Stickies are a concept and (as with mostly everything I do) they are in beta. This means I can adjust, cancel or improve the idea as I'm trying out several variations. The idea behind the Sticky Ads concept was based on a request I kept getting from Pinsiders that they wanted to get their ad back to the top of the classifieds list, without re-listing it (as that would be bad for their sales stats). Clearly there's a lot of demand for this so I will need to come up with an alternative idea that's less obtrusive / scroll hungry / screen space demanding.

Sticky Ads are limited to a maximum of 10 running at any time, but I can definitely see how all of these are annoying at the the top of the classifieds page when you don't have any search parameters set and all of them are showing. And, to be honest, I was not expecting to sell 10 sticky ads in one day.

I'm always trying to find a balance between offering value to the pinball community while at the same time keeping the site sustainable/profitable for the long term. In other words, this is not just about making money. If that were the case, trust me, I get a gazillion offers every week from sites wanting to place all kinds of banner crap and adwords on Pinside. It's not a direction I'm willing to go.

For now, I will further limited the # of sticky ads, to keep it acceptable. See how that goes. Re-evaluate etc. I will also be experimenting with flexible pricing.

Quoted from galore2112:

[Pinside] is the only place in the net that I know where you have to donate (or ask someone) before you are allowed to post in popular threads LOL

Then you probably haven't been around long enough to remember how it was before we required verification on Pinside: duplicates/trolls and spammers posting their messages/spam in the popular topics all day. Our constant battle to quickly remove that crap from the site (and along with it also all the response posts they would generate). This has now been reduced to (nearly) zero. And most new Pinsiders know someone to vouch for them, meaning their verification is free.

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

.....and the item picture has shrunk by 30-40% and sticky images are larger.
    Can we hit the drop arrow and have a permission to always do this, opt out of Sticky?

Actually, the item picture (thumbnail) size is flexible and depends on the size of the content to the right. For featured ads, this content is larger due to the displayed image thumbnails. Hence, for featured ads with pictures, the thumbnail is also bigger.

Quoted from Crash:

Pinside is a thriving community. Forcing it to become a paid subscription service will kill it. Whether someone wants to pay to participate should be up to them.

Pinside will never go behind a paywall. It is my view that the information on Pinside should be accessible freely for all, with the ultimate goal of promoting this amazing game we all love. Look around you, the hobby is indeed thriving. People are finding games to play, to purchase, repairing them with the help of the community, meeting other pinheads, making friends. Pinside plays a part in all that. That's my motivation. And yes, of course, I also need to make a living as Pinside is my full time job.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-hate-this-new-sticky-ad-feature?tu=robin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.