• 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pinslot
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Relay.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 2 years ago

I've had switch leafs that were starting to crack from metal fatigue - they would hold a bend for a short time, then the metal would just give in to the stress at the crack and bend itself out of position again. Just another thought.

#28 2 years ago

Alvin Gottlieb quoted in Michael Shalhoub's "The Pinball Compendium" 1930's to 1960's:

"A problem that became more serious as the games became more complicated was "contact bounce," which occurred when a switch was rapidly closed. It would occasionally cause the game to miscount the score or not activate a game feature. After seeing the actual bounce using a strobe light and oscilloscope, various modifications were tried to stop the bounce but I decided that a whole new relay was needed to cure the problem. The old relay was just too slow. Doc Garbark, our engineer draftsman, came up with a brilliant design using small tapered switchblades and a lightweight armature. The tapered blades would not have any strong harmonic vibration characteristics and the light armature with its attached switch actuator was very rapid in operation. Doc named the relay the "AG Relay" after yours truly and so marked my place in history. At least to me."

So, much as we curse the things, perhaps the alternative would have been worse.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-hate-the-ax-relay-who-s-with-me?tu=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.