• Latest reply 2 years ago by Pinslot
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Relay.gif
#1 2 years ago

Sorry just venting. I've had this Team One since December. Got it all cleaned up. Looks good. Fun enough but driving me up the wall.

Try to play a game but AX won't release. My gameroom is tight and it's not easy access but I pull the game out get to back there make some tiny adjustments. Plays great all day. Next morning same thing all over. Done this about 20 times. Starting to wonder if there is a loose contact or something?

Worst feeling ever is thinking you have a nagging issue resolved to only discover that you don't.

#2 2 years ago

Have you ruled out a magnetized armature? I ran across one recently that caused intermittent interlock relay reset issues. If you haven't already you might try swapping armatures with another interlock relay like the 100k relay which probably doesn't get as much use.

/Mark

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

AX won't release

If the Credit stepper unit doesn't decrement when this happens it could be an electrical problem, likely with a switch on Motor 4C.

#4 2 years ago

#5 2 years ago

I’m in for hating it. One game I had the damn thing would stop working once I put it back in the relay holder with the hairpin clip. If I took it out and let it hang the game worked fine.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Have you ruled out a magnetized armature? I ran across one recently that caused intermittent interlock relay reset issues. If you haven't already you might try swapping armatures with another interlock relay like the 100k relay which probably doesn't get as much use.
/Mark

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. I did just disassemble the whole unit and clean the plates and switches. Of course it's working great at the moment.

Quoted from HowardR:

If the Credit stepper unit doesn't decrement when this happens it could be an electrical problem, likely with a switch on Motor 4C.

It's on freeplay so I don't think it's a credit stepper issue. I did double check and re-clean all the score motor switches at one point. I also quadruple check the ball count stepper as I know a switch there is tied to the AX. Generally if I marginally tweak an AX switch or even manually release the AX it will work for a day. Hoping a more thorough disassembly will make a difference but not confident at the moment.

I'll see if, or how long it keeps playing. The magnetism seem feasible. Also the springs seemed marginally stretched so that could be a factor.

#7 2 years ago

Ax for sure, AG relays in general.

#8 2 years ago

Not just ax/bx, but other versions of interlock relays too. I’ve had a nice game down for years because of this. I’m in the club.

#9 2 years ago

I've had switch leafs that were starting to crack from metal fatigue - they would hold a bend for a short time, then the metal would just give in to the stress at the crack and bend itself out of position again. Just another thought.

#10 2 years ago

Had it playing great this morning. Come back after some running around with the wife. Fire it up and the same old bs. Definitely feeling like it may be a magnetization issue now. Got to see if there is a comparable armature to swap out...

Update: Swapped armatures with L relay. Of course it plays fine now but am not confident this fixed it. I put one of the hairpins against the armature it didn't seem magnetized at all.

#11 2 years ago

i'm all in for the hate !

#12 2 years ago

I'm not crazy about their interlocking relays or the little match number unit, but after I get them 'right' they don't seem to cause any more problems. But ya gotta get 'em right and not overadjust the switches or other things, but then that goes for any relay.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Sorry just venting. I've had this Team One since December. Got it all cleaned up. Looks good. Fun enough but driving me up the wall.
Try to play a game but AX won't release. My gameroom is tight and it's not easy access but I pull the game out get to back there make some tiny adjustments. Plays great all day. Next morning same thing all over. Done this about 20 times. Starting to wonder if there is a loose contact or something?
Worst feeling ever is thinking you have a nagging issue resolved to only discover that you don't.

Don’t tell me this! Haha. Just fiddled with an AX relay on Quick Draw yesterday and finally got it. But this video may help you. Worked wonders for me once I saw how it is supposed to snap back. The key for me was getting the long blades adjusted so that they help it snap back when the latch releases.

#14 2 years ago

I got that sucker dialed in after closely inspecting it a bunch of times. Good and snappy.

Anyway, I may have to apologize to my AX for making this post. Last night I wriggled the score reels a bit and the AX released. Doh! So I cleaned the switches on the 100s reel. Same symptoms, worked and then didn't reset. But I think I'm on the right track. Guessing I have a zero position switch that is barely touching. Just so easy to blame those interlocking relays because they always seem to need special attention on this era.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I got that sucker dialed in after closely inspecting it a bunch of times. Good and snappy.
Anyway, I may have to apologize to my AX for making this post. Last night I wriggled the score reels a bit and the AX released. Doh! So I cleaned the switches on the 100s reel. Same symptoms, worked and then didn't reset. But I think I'm on the right track. Guessing I have a zero position switch that is barely touching. Just so easy to blame those interlocking relays because they always seem to need special attention on this era.

We'll add decagon score reels to Ax and AG relays. Fiddly damned things.

#16 2 years ago

Call Gottlieb and complain

#17 2 years ago

I've often wondered; what was Doc (Garbark) thinking? Sometimes worse!

#18 2 years ago

Sure, some of these things can be a pain to dial in. But how many things do you have now that you expect will be running in 50 years, or even 20 years?

These things are like the Mars rovers. They were expected to last a few months and some are working years later.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Sure, some of these things can be a pain to dial in. But how many things do you have now that you expect will be running in 50 years, or even 20 years?
These things are like the Mars rovers. They were expected to last a few months and some are working years later.

But it's sort of like I had a Mars rover in my living room. It's going to have a REALLY long lifespan after I shop it out and it's not on Mars or even outside. And if the rover is brand new, forget it!

#20 2 years ago

Here's where I'm at. Been through the AX multiple times. It's clean adjusted and snappy like it should be. Issue persists but I'm moving on.

So I discovered a light tug on the 10's or hundreds reel wiring releases the AX when it gets hung up. Hmm, so I inspect those zero position switches. Clean them good. I notice on the 10s reel that the wiring to one side is connected by a single strand. Re-solder the wiring on the tens reel zero position switches. Fire it up that evening and it hangs again. Groan.

Poke around a bit checking the wiring for a break or bare spot. Nothing noticeable. Last few games have reset cleanly with no trouble. The worst part is not knowing what the hell the real defect is. I know it's going to be something weird like a cold solder joint or loose switch contact. Just haven't noticed anything yet. I'd prefer the problem was consistent. Then when you fix it, you know.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

We'll add decagon score reels to Ax and AG relays. Fiddly damned things.

I like to state its due to the shorter contact arms Gottlieb seemed fond of, very touchy on adjustments. Once you get it though, they do seem to run just as long as anything else. Melody been setup in the wife units game room for a few years now and has been perfectly happy. I think I popped the hood to change a lamp and thats been it.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Call Gottlieb and complain

When it comes to weird nagging problems, 70s Gottliebs have definitely been the worst for me. Gold Strike, Lucky Hand, Quick Draw, Pop-A-Card all had non-obvious issues that required extra patience.

I got Pleasure Isle a couple months back from a fellow collector. He never shopped it and was sitting folded up in storage for some years. It's a little grubby with old rubbers. It fired right up and played. Sluggish but all the features work.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

When it comes to weird nagging problems, 70s Gottliebs have definitely been the worst for me. .

Same; I had a Jungle King that about drove me crazy staying in adjustment and an Orbit I sold cheap as it would not consistently keep track of balls short of a one player game. Gottlieb changed a number of control mechs in this timeframe, not all of them worked out.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I've often wondered; what was Doc (Garbark) thinking? Sometimes worse!

What they all think. How to do it cheaper.

Alvin Gottlieb was responsible for the AG relay (thus the initials).

Quoted from MarkG:

Absolutely agree, but the difference is Williams and Bally games still work 50 years later and aren't such a PITA to work on. Gottliebs are pretty much the gold standard for features although not true in all cases. But work on a decagon reel and then work on a Williams or Bally of the same vintage and tell me which you'd rather deal with. To be fair, Williams went to the dinky match unit like Gottlieb and theirs is even worse than the AS.

We won't even touch the half moon credit unit. Even Gottlieb realized that was a goof.

#25 2 years ago

I have several 1977/1978 model Gottlieb’s with this relay and never had a problem with them. I guess if they’re adjusted right they don’t fail?

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Classics_Master:

I have several 1977/1978 model Gottlieb’s with this relay and never had a problem with them. I guess if they’re adjusted right they don’t fail?

You're lucky. Don't talk about it and press your luck.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Alvin Gottlieb was responsible for the AG relay (thus the initials).

I did not know that. So does he get the credit/blame for the design?

#28 2 years ago

Alvin Gottlieb quoted in Michael Shalhoub's "The Pinball Compendium" 1930's to 1960's:

"A problem that became more serious as the games became more complicated was "contact bounce," which occurred when a switch was rapidly closed. It would occasionally cause the game to miscount the score or not activate a game feature. After seeing the actual bounce using a strobe light and oscilloscope, various modifications were tried to stop the bounce but I decided that a whole new relay was needed to cure the problem. The old relay was just too slow. Doc Garbark, our engineer draftsman, came up with a brilliant design using small tapered switchblades and a lightweight armature. The tapered blades would not have any strong harmonic vibration characteristics and the light armature with its attached switch actuator was very rapid in operation. Doc named the relay the "AG Relay" after yours truly and so marked my place in history. At least to me."

So, much as we curse the things, perhaps the alternative would have been worse.

#29 2 years ago

I used to work at Lieberman Enterprises in Bloomington MN back in the mid 70s early 80s.
I was the lead EM refurb tech for years when I left them in 1983.
I've literally seen hundreds of those Start, AX & BX relays.
They can be a bit finicky because they don't have much travel but once dialed in they just work and work.
If you have a game and they are causing you repeated problems the best thing you can do is to remove the bottom board and put it on a bench and work on them at eye-level. Or lay it cross-wise across the top of the game body and sit on a stool next to it. Standing and leaning into the game trying to see them can be difficult, frustrating, maddening and time consuming. In that order.
A couple of advice I can give:
1) Use the actual tool (shaped like an "L" with slots in the end) to adjust switches. Don't bend them with a screwdriver or finger tips.
2) The relay armature must be at its upper stop when off. Not hanging off of the stop by the switch blade pressure.
3) All of the blades that pass through the armature must be relaxed in a neutral position when the relay is off. They must not be impressing any pressure on the armature itself. If adjusted correctly, they will pass through the center of the white armature plastic slot.
4) When the relay is off, the pressure of the blade contacts against the normally closed ("Break") switches must be light, only just firm enough to create a reliable electrical pathway. If the blade is visually bowed between the screw mounts and the contact then that is way too much pressure. If it's naturally bowed without any pressure then it needs to be straightened. Someone before you did them wrong.
5) 90% of the problems with those AX, BX relays are caused by those blades exerting incorrect pressure against the armature. But also be certain that all the normally open ("Make") switches make contact very close to the relay armature's energized stop position. Ideally they will all close at the same time so they impart even pressure on the armature.
- An incorrectly adjusted AX / BX relay will act like the one on the right of my animation, to a degree. It needs to be like the one on the left.
Some folks consider the problem to be a weak spring. Almost always an incorrect diagnosis.

Relay.gifRelay.gif
#30 2 years ago

My problem was resolved. As mentioned part way into this thread I realized the AX was just a symptom not the cause of the problem. I discovered the problem was the light box advance unit. It wouldn't always completely reach the home position on reset. It would sometimes hang a bit on the last rivets. This caused just enough gap to not close the associated switches on the backside. Smack the side, or enough vibration from trying to reset would often be enough to get it there when it would hang up. The inconsistency is what made this so frustrating and tricky.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

My problem was resolved. As mentioned part way into this thread I realized the AX was just a symptom not the cause of the problem. I discovered the problem was the light box advance unit. It wouldn't always completely reach the home position on reset. It would sometimes hang a bit on the last rivets. This caused just enough gap to not close the associated switches on the backside. Smack the side, or enough vibration from trying to reset would often be enough to get it there when it would hang up. The inconsistency is what made this so frustrating and tricky.

Your AX relay is awaiting your apology!

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Ha, I did in post #14.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I may have to apologize to my AX for making this post.

But did you?

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

LOL

#35 2 years ago

I don’t hate it, i fear it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-hate-the-ax-relay-who-s-with-me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.