(Topic ID: 17037)

I hate Soldering. Anything make it easier?

By Av8

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by bluevegas
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-05-22_16.20.11.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmod.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 11 years ago

Put flux on the wires. Then just add solder to the tip of the iron. When the iron comes in contact with the flux on the wires, the solder will flow to the wires. This is how they do it at the Stern factory.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Jeff_PHX_AZ said:Frax said:Dmod said:Put flux on the wires. Then just add solder to the tip of the iron. When the iron comes in contact with the flux on the wires, the solder will flow to the wires. This is how they do it at the Stern factory.
    Seriously?
    You must not have seen videos of the factory? They show the ladies dipping the wires and a quick touch of the iron. Its done so fast.

Yeah, but frankly, I thought they were just pre-tinning the wires with the well. I'll have to track it back down and look at it more closely I guess. Clearly I wasn't really paying attention.
    Just doesn't seem like a smart practice to me.

Honestly, this is pretty common practice. Take a look at YouTube videos on 'drag soldering' techniques for surface mount components. Same principle. The flux cleans the connection and helps the heat transfer from the iron to the connection.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmod.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-hate-soldering-anything-make-it-easier?tu=dmod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.