2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pickle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0A31CA60-B8CC-4FC5-B8CA-AF4C3D7F889A (resized).jpeg
    1799F74C-1607-4E99-BA1C-A68069842528 (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

So….good thing I have been in the hobby long enough to recognize scammers quickly.

Long story short is a grail game (vid) I passed on in the Banning auction is available on FB…another collector I know saw one on FB and let me know and got contact info as I do not do FB. Texted him and got no response. Called a couple hours later and got a hold of him and got cut off during the call but got a text message saying he would call me shortly but no call back. Called and texted him to let him to call me back as I want the game. My wife does FB so she searched and found the game and messaged him and he replied RIGHT AWAY. Exchanged several messages back and forth….he asked for a small deposit and she told him no problem but to call me to discuss…no phone call and no further messages……the guy even sent her videos of gameplay of the game he is “selling”. I have no problem sending a small deposit but a phone call to discuss should not be a big deal to make sure all is legit…she told the guy I would make a road trip to pick it up. At this point it’s obviously a scam or the guy would call me. Even if he wants to up the price it’s OK if it’s legit but geez….even scammers would call you to get a small deposit I would think. WTF!!!

I told my wife that’s why we say CASH ON THE GLASS! Don’t buy what you can’t see!

#2 2 years ago

Exactly.
    Cash on glass.
    And bring your biggest friend.

2 weeks later
    #3 2 years ago

Ok…,quick update with a happy ending.

So apparently the guy was truly busy. I reached out again with a text as for me it’s a grail game and these don’t come up too often. He called me back a few hours later and we talked for a good 20 min. Probed him on a few things only a collector/gamer would know and he knew everything I was asking about. He worked with me on payment options to make it safe as can be. Keep in mind all games I have I managed to buy local/driving distance. I have never shipped a game so well aware of the risks. Felt comfortable enough with him to do the deal so shipping was really the only concern. Called Beltmann and got a quick quote over the phone. I know many people have complained how long it’s been taking. Game was picked up on the 23rd and received on the 30th. At the end of the day it really is about communication….I jumped quick to assume scam as the initial communication was slow and a little odd. But people get busy and life gets in the way sometimes for all of us. I guess the moral is always be cautious in long distance transactions (recognize the red flags/signs of possible scam) and make sure everything is legit as there are good sellers out there. Shipping is always a risk so I can’t help anyone make that decision….experience on that varies for everyone. I feel this experience is worth sharing as it’s nice for people to know there are some good sellers out there.

0A31CA60-B8CC-4FC5-B8CA-AF4C3D7F889A (resized).jpeg0A31CA60-B8CC-4FC5-B8CA-AF4C3D7F889A (resized).jpeg1799F74C-1607-4E99-BA1C-A68069842528 (resized).jpeg1799F74C-1607-4E99-BA1C-A68069842528 (resized).jpeg
    #4 2 years ago

So should we change the topic to , "I love people who think they are getting scammed, but aren't really?"

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

So should we change the topic to , "I love people who think they are getting scammed, but aren't really?"

Trust me…if this was you all the initial communication raised flags and anyone would have jumped to the same conclusion initially and proceeded with caution.

Let me know if this works though.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-hate-scammers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.