Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by snyper2099
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Anybody have any game that they thought they didn't like and then got one and now love it? A buddy of mine kept telling me about STTNG and I told him I didn't follow the show and just didn't like the game. He advised that he didn't like the TV show at all, but the game was one of his favorites and that I should give it a try. After much back and forth (mostly with myself), I traded for one as part of a package deal in pristine condition and I haven't looked back since. Love the game now.

#2 4 years ago

I use to hate MB. I know I know how in the hell can I hate that pinball. But, since I got one within the past 2 months I LOVE IT.

#3 4 years ago

Glad you like it. Such a fun game that demands precision shots. In my case, it's the wife preventing me from moving on one of these bad boys.

#4 4 years ago

The X Files. First go = hated it to death. Subsequent plays = pure yes. Learned that it's Attack from Mars except with stoopid art and an even better layout.

#5 4 years ago

Harlem Globetrotters. A friend owned it and I hated the game. It was no fun and I almost considered the game to be abusive. Every time I played it at his house it would be 5 games in less than 5 minutes. About a year later he needed to move it out, and so I bought it at a "friend" price. It was one of the games I just bought to figure it out. Once I got some real time on it I fell in love with the game. It's still in my basement, and it still gets regular play. Just a nasty classic Bally.

My other was Tron. My initial reaction was "Yuck". I was so disappointed. But then I figured the game out a bit, and then after bunches of plays on location, I ended up buying one NIB. It's due for a shop job, and finally getting the ramp lights installed. No sign of it leaving any time soon.

#6 4 years ago

The getaway, used to "have" to play it at this local tournament and would always get my ass handed to me. Once I learned how to play it I couldn't get enough. Still hate the translite though.

#7 4 years ago

I really didn't like X-Men at first. I didn't really understand the rules at all and I thought Wolverine ate up too much of the playfield and it seemed like there just wasn't much there, however after I watched some tournament play of it and learned what's going on in the game I love it.

#8 4 years ago

When I first got a RS I was wondering what the hell I had just done?! Wasn't liking it at all. It felt very repetitive since you always start from the same place. Less than a week later, when I started hitting the shots and understood the rules, everything started to click big time. Pin is super fun, deep, and has some really fun and unique modes. I still consider it the best bang for the buck DMD pin available.

#9 4 years ago

WPT. Good game but too many rules to ever do well on location. Like why on would you have card drop targets and make that separate from your hand. I didn't hate it but I doubt I would have given it much thought had it not had a good reputation.

#10 4 years ago

BSD & FT.

#11 4 years ago

Black Pyramid.

#12 4 years ago

When I played TZ for the first time when it first came out, I hated it. It was confusing, and there was simply too much on the table. After playing it several times, I got the hang of the rules and came to actually enjoy it.

I've encountered a number of tables like that, especially ones with lots of shots or deep rule sets. They tend to be very difficult for first-time players, but it grows on you if you stick with it and play it several times over.

I think the only game I enjoyed the first time through was AFM, and it still remains one of my favorites.

#13 4 years ago

Sega pins!

I got caught up in the whole "Williams & Bally Rule & New Sterns Rule".....the rest are hit or miss at best..........not true.

Some (not all) of the Sega pins are a blast to play and truly underrated. Could probably say the same thing for Data East.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Black Pyramid.

I would love for you to explain why you love Black Pyramid. It comes up pretty often around here on Cl for reasonable prices. I have had opportunities to play it, but every time I end up bored to tears by it. What are the strategies? Best way to earn points? I like games from this era with a more simple ruleset, so I dont know why I cant get into it.

#15 4 years ago

We do not choose pinballs by their looks, or pre-sales hypes, but by actually playing them.

#16 4 years ago

I used to not like AFM. I still don't like AFM.

#17 4 years ago

I've never had a situation like that. I've only had games that other people told me were no good, that I ended up liking once I played them. (JP Lost World, and T3 come to mind).

#18 4 years ago

Great call on both, but Especially on FT. This was a game I knew I'd never like. Now I own one and love it.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Pigjes:

We do not choose pinballs by their looks, or pre-sales hypes, but by actually playing them.

Welcome to Pinside. You must be new?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

I would love for you to explain why you love Black Pyramid. It comes up pretty often around here on Cl for reasonable prices. I have had opportunities to play it, but every time I end up bored to tears by it. What are the strategies? Best way to earn points? I like games from this era with a more simple ruleset, so I dont know why I cant get into it.

Inline drops, bonus heavy rules, risky to spell Black Pyramid but oh so important, satisfying left orbit shot, fantastic artwork. The death target in the middle can be very lucrative if you set it up. Learn the rules and how they work, it makes the game.

#21 4 years ago

Big Buck Hunter and Gilligan's Island
Firkin AWESOME

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Big Buck Hunter and Gilligan's Island
Firkin AWESOME

Two more great choices. Gillian's Island is just flat out fun. Played the hell out of it at PHoF this summer. At first because I'd never played it. Then because it was one of the few games actually working perfectly...then because it was firkin awesome!

#23 4 years ago

I don't own one, but I had the lowest expectations of Hollywood Heat - ugly graphics, cheesy translite, awful music, one short, shallow ramp and a whole section of the middle playfield where the ball couldn't even go. Then I played one and loved it. The art and theming are the worst but the engineering is brilliant.

#24 4 years ago

Medieval Madness

When I was learning how to play I hated the game. The castle gate would drain all my balls in no time. Now that I know "how to shoot" and "how to save" I really like the game.

#25 4 years ago

DW. Hated it at first. More I played it, more I liked it. Picked one up cheap. By the time I played it enough to be able to understand what the deleks were actually saying. It wasn't so bad anymore.

#26 4 years ago

Mr. and Ms. Pac-Man could qualify for me. I would always see them at shows, usually abused, tuned off and in broken condition. I never really wanted one until I played 20-30 heads up games with a friend at his house years ago. He sold the game and I always kind of missed playing it. Every time I saw one, it was destroyed and not working properly...

I found a very nice one 8 months ago for a reasonable price within driving distance. I never really intended on keeping it. I have now played it 100's of times and I think it is the most underrated early Bally machine around. The first ever "video mode" is great fun and very complex (if you understand the rules) and the sounds in the game are classic. How does PAPA not have one? I never really thought it was a great game until I owned one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
North Mankato, MN
65,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lodi, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Great American Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 21.00
$ 14.95
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 14.95
$ 209.99
$ 11.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brookfield, WI
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside