Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

homer.jpg
100_6066.JPG

#1 5 years ago

So today I'm cleaning and re-sleeving the pop bumpers on my DE Simpsons, and I find two of the screw-in corners broken off of one of the plastic bases. Dammit! There's no glue that's going to hold up long term in keeping these back on, what with the vibrations of the coil firing, so this appeared to be my only option, using one of the screws and a washer to hold down this end, at least until I can procure another DE yellow bumper base. Anything you guys would have done differently here?

100_6066.JPG
#2 5 years ago

Are these pop bumper brackets especially hard to fine?

I think that seems like a sensible temporary fix, at least if you made sure the screw is going into the playfield a reasonable distance.

#3 5 years ago

My guess is that if the force on this was enough to break off both corners of the bracket, this will not hold long.

#4 5 years ago

I too hate "permanent" hack repairs, so I would procure a new one.

I think this works? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5100-00

Or look into changing it for a metal bracket (much more work, possibly not possible? I'm not a Sega/DE expert)

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

My guess is that if the force on this was enough to break off both corners of the bracket, this will not hold long.

I doubt this was a result of game usage, as the other two are fine, and this is still the same basic design of Stern bumper bases. I'm thinking maybe a previous owner accidentally hit it hard with something and just left it like this (the guy I bought it from knew nothing about fixing pins).

Quoted from Collin:

....at least if you made sure the screw is going into the playfield a reasonable distance.

Screw taken from one of the broken corners, sunk into the playfield the same distance, so no worries there.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I think this works? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5100-00
Or look into changing it for a metal bracket (much more work, possibly not possible? I'm not a Sega/DE expert)

Not possible, plastic ring on base fits through hole in playfield. Since it's visible on top of the playfield I need to find a yellow one, or my OCD would kick in every time I saw that blue ring under the bumper cap. I'll just have to check on this fix every so often to make sure it's holding up. Anyone parting out an old DE?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I need to find a yellow one, or my OCD would kick in every time I saw that blue ring under the bumper cap.

Change them all to blue?

#8 5 years ago

to me its only kinda "hack", it does look like theres room for 2 screws and larger fender washers, possibly stronger if theres something same thickness as the plastic for the fender washer(s) to be drawn down flatly for more surface area contact. 'stuff' happens, I'd sure want it solid, whether replacement is available or not.. (might be a little job for a pinsider having a 3D printer?)

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Change them all to blue?

Simpsons are yellow, not blue!

homer.jpg
#10 5 years ago

Those older DE pop bumper assemblies have a tendency to become brittle and crack across the corners from stress of the screw. I have had to replace several of those, I did a restore on JP and WWF and replaced all six of them with new (blue) ones for the long haul.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Not possible, plastic ring on base fits through hole in playfield. Since it's visible on top of the playfield I need to find a yellow one, or my OCD would kick in every time I saw that blue ring under the bumper cap. I'll just have to check on this fix every so often to make sure it's holding up. Anyone parting out an old DE?

I do have a complete pop bumper assembly from a parted out DE Simpsons.

#12 5 years ago

I would use the Plastex plastic repair kit. I have not used it on a bumper, but have used it on broken ramp tabs and never had a problem (after years of abuse). The product is commonly used on dirt bikes, so it should handle the vibration from a pinball game.

I would throw a couple of pins in to help strengthen the joint. Or you could use their fiber reinforcement cloth on the bottom side where it won't show.

Repairing a ramp tab...

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/ramps-and-plastics/179-repairing-broken-ramp-mounting-tab

Or the following page for a video on how plastex works...

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/tools-and-supplies/178-plastex-repair-kit

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Fair enough. I would probably still swap in a blue one while looking for a yellow one.

I would consider trying priming and painting the blue one to yellow depending on what these things are made of. It's not like they actually take any ball strike punishment.

#14 5 years ago

Buy a blue one and paint it. This stuff works great:

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

Buy a blue one and paint it. This stuff works great:
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

Fusion by Krylon is very good on plastic. Just make sure your plastic is good and clean first..

#16 5 years ago

a better "temp fix" would be to use a soldering iron and melt a hole through the plastic right in front of where your screw is so instead of just holding the edge, a screw/washer is actually securing the whole back edge of the assembly.
Would probably last forever in home use, but next time you order from somewhere, throw the new bracket on your order and swap out later.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

a better "temp fix" would be to use a soldering iron and melt a hole through the plastic right in front of where your screw is so instead of just holding the edge, a screw/washer is actually securing the whole back edge of the assembly.

I was going to drill a whole through in that spot but the ring that inserts into the pop bumper hole in the p/f is right there and I'd have to avoid it, so there just wouldn't be enough "meat" on either the plastic side or the wood side to hold a screw securely. Thought it through for a while and this was the best temp solution. I replaced the washer with a larger one and the broken end is more stable now.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 50.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Chatham, MA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 21.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside