Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by whthrs166
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

I just don't get the point of the whole thing. Was it a prank phone call? If I was a beanie baby collector, would he have called with his dad's beanie babies for sale, then call back again ten minutes later to tell me they're not for sale, then again five minutes later to tell me they're sold to someone else? Does this benefit him or fool me somehow? I guess some idiots gets their kicks wasting other peoples' time.

Please do tell, I'd like to hear. I think the best pin story I've ever read was the methheads in the cabin in the woods with the STTNG.

Sounds like you made the right moves asking to come see them and proposing the time. I'm not a pinball power seller by any means, I've sold maybe 5 vids and 5 or 6 pins in my time in the hobby, but after the first 2 or 3 you can smell the tire kickers, picture collectors, and window shoppers in the first 2 minutes of the conversation. I don't take it personally but I think doing what you did is the best way to eliminate the nonsense. Ask direct actionable questions, get a deposit if it gets that far, and put accountability on them.

I've never shipped a game so I've really only had local sales, but once someone starts to ask a lot of tire kicking questions or you can tell they are just window shopping you just quickly pivot to something like "well I have X other messages so what time would you like to come see the game". Usually they either make an excuse about checking the schedule and you never hear from them again or they come over and buy the game. I don't know if it helps, but I've taken to putting something like "please ask the wife, secure a truck, check with your moving buddy, go to the bank, etc. before contacting me". Who knows if it actually helps but it makes me feel better

I was selling a multicade last year and talking with someone who was "very excited" because it "would make the perfect Christmas gift for the kids". I wanted to know when they would be over to look at the game, and I get "can you send me 150 pictures of X, Y and Z". I replied sure, but I'll need a $5.00 PayPal deposit. 2 hours later "the wife said no".

Most people like the idea of spending money, but not actually spending money.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-hate-dealing-with-flakes?tu=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.