Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

imagesCAEYR120.jpg
frantics.gif

#1 5 years ago

So, I've been burning out on buying/fixing...and have even been planning on whittling down the collection and selling a few games....but, cuz I'm a gaddamn junkie - I looked on Craigslist yesterday and oh - there's a nice looking Who Dunnit for $1800! Seemed "cheap" by today's prices. It's a game I always thought was kinda cool but never owned. The seller called me, guess I was the first to Email...prob cuz all the collectors are up at CAX this weekend. I was all set to check it out and buy it today. As I was thinking about picking it up, it was stressing me out more than it was exciting me. Hours of driving, spending time in the 100 degree heat packing it up, unloading it...putting it in the garage w/ the rest of my projects that I don't feel like working on.

Soooo...after going back and forth (and pin-friends telling me to GO GET IT) I talked myself out of it. I let the seller know I wasn't coming and to go ahead and contact the other interested parties. So - whoever got the Who Dunnit in Huntington Beach - you're welcome!

Instead I spent some time FINALLY fixing my Metallica drop targets and playing the hell out of it. I feel like I made the sane choice - stay home where it's cool and enjoy what I have instead of getting more that I don't need. NO MORE PINS FOR ME!!!!!! ...um...well, unless a cheap MM falls in my lap or something. Let's see how long this self-imposed pin-celibacy can last for...

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

um...well, unless a cheap MM falls in my lap or something. Let's see how long this self-imposed pin-celibacy can last for...

Good Luck on that one.....

#3 5 years ago

And here I was going to offer to store the Goldeneye at my place so you had some room. Darn!

#4 5 years ago

W?D was my second pin. That was a good price by today's standards. But I think you did the right thing.

I have a limit of 7 pins (8 including the one at my brother's house), so while I can buy something else on the spot if it's something I want, it means that something else will have to go. And that is becoming much harder for me to do, so my pin buying habits have been great curtailed in the last 5-6 months.

#5 5 years ago

Good for you. I am wrestling with hard decisions right now on my collection, but I am forcing myself to sell at least one machine and not just keep adding.

#6 5 years ago

Hell, I may be close to getting out the hobby completely.

#7 5 years ago

Yeah, I hear you... I put up 4 machines for sale this week to avoid having to put some in "storage".

#8 5 years ago

My intervention was my wife telling me if I bought another pin she would divorce me. I don't think 8 pins is a high number.

#9 5 years ago

Yeah, you get to that point. A couple of nice WPC titles came up for sale here recently, which I should really add to the collection to make it "complete"

But the sellers wanted a little too much for them, so I just passed.

I don't need to have them all. No point.

If they were cheap, I would have bought them.

But to be honest, I'd rather save that money for the new Stern games. I get much more enjoyment from Xmen, ACDC and Metallica than I do from any old WPC title.

rd.

#10 5 years ago

For me, it's starting to feel a tad ridiculous to have these uber-expensive toys laying around, when the money I could get from selling them could be used for much more important and respectable things.

If things were like they used to be and pin values were reasonable, I likely wouldn't even entertain the idea of using my collection as fodder for life's financial necessities. But these days, when you look at what you got and add up the total worth, it really feels a little absurd to keep holding on to them.

(You wealthy cats can just ignore this post and avoid posting dismissive replies. Yes, we all know that pinball is pocket change compared to the collecting of yachts and airplanes. You're just in an entirely different world than some of us financially less fortunate.)

#11 5 years ago

I agree entirely FatSquatch. I was lucky enough to buy most of my collection when they were half the price that they are today.

I buy the new Sterns because I like em. And I don't smoke or drink (much...) so it's my little treat to myself for working as hard as I do.

But sometimes I look at them and think about all the $$$$ tied up in them, when nobody is actually playing them. I'm about to sell my Lexus because I never use it. I really like it .. But it is a expensive ornament when it comes down to it, because it never gets used. The money from that will build a new driveway for the house.

If I hadn't just built a new house with a big games room, I'd probably cull half my collection, and just keep the new Sterns and the System 11s.

Ironically, if I did that, the money would pay off the mortgage on the new house with the big games room. But then I'd have a very large empty room. So I guess I have to keep em ....

rd.

#12 5 years ago

I hear you RH.

Once I hit 20 pins set up and playing (well, one's in pieces/undergoing deep resto by me) I've had to talk myself down off the ledge on a couple occasions.

Definitely a part-time job to keep up with this many.

However, there really are a few more games I'd like to add to the lineup (fellow hopeless addict).

Just made up my mind though to focus on tweaking everything I have to perfection first/installing some stock-piled mods I have yet to get to (also why I don't post as much as before)...might be tempted though if some stellar examples come up of the games on my short-list though (better not list them...or somebody just might PM me what they have!).

#13 5 years ago

An $1800 W?D is exactly the type of deal I almost hate to see come up near me. Prices that aren't an absolute steal, but tempting enough to make you think. It always seems to happen with pins that are on my "B" ot "C" list. I talk myself out of it, but still wind up watching PAPA and YouTube videos of the title until I start to think screw it I'll buy it. I broke my buying frenzy last year by passing on pins like this. It has gotten easier and easier to pass on the semi deals since. I now have only a very small list of titles I'd consider, and my ideal price range. If it's not on the list at the right price I'm not buying. Fringe deals be damned. I think you did the right thing.

#14 5 years ago

Congrats to the OP for knowing when to say when! Increasingly I'm finding as much relief as disappointment when a pin deal doesn't work out

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

If I hadn't just built a new house with a big games room, I'd probably cull half my collection, and just keep the new Sterns and the System 11s.

Well there's always a keen buyer here is you do go a little mad lol

#16 5 years ago

At CAX this year there was a dredd listed for $2300. I love that game and could fit it in my car, but had to talk myself down.

#17 5 years ago

If it wasnt for my parents, I would still be at one pin, maybe 2 if I had moved the Twin Win over. There is no way I could put the money into them that they have, especially with current prices. I did become very "Buy all the pins!" when we first started out with pin fever, then started trying to find ones I could get cheaper and build some equity in by fixing up, and now I am done for awhile. The fever is dying down. I have Predator on order and would eventually like a LOTR, but I want to stop putting my/their money into amassing more, focus on the ones I have, and start enjoying them by sharing them with others and having some more get togethers. It is hard not getting caught up when it seems everyone is acting like it is a race to see who can have the biggest nicest collection. The thrill of getting a new pin in the house isnt what it used to be, which I am both a little sad about but also relieved that I am slowing down now.

#18 5 years ago

This hobby keeps me up at night deciding if I should spend money I don't have for another Pin. It's always the fear that if I pass on a pin I want, the prices will keep going up. For example. A SS machine was offered to me last November and the price went up a whopping $1500 more when I decided to get it 6 months later. I love this hobby but the pricing on even B list machines is getting sick. Just bought a very expensive TOTAN because they are so darn hard to find. Not because I have the money to buy it!

#19 5 years ago

I hear you Squatch. I almost sold my LTBR to add to the down payment on my new house.
Like most everyone else, I reached my space limit and will have to sell one off to buy that Iron Maiden pin next year. (Fingers crossed)

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Well there's always a keen buyer here is you do go a little mad lol

Most of my pins have a waiting list on them now haha

I think 4 people want the TOTAN.

Maybe if someone came in and said "here's $100,000 cash, what can I have..." A few would start disappearing ....

rd.

#21 5 years ago

Good move Rarehero

#22 5 years ago

I have that "I can cram another pin in there" feeling all the time. You just gotta know when it's right.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from NM:

I hear you RH.
Definitely a part-time job to keep up with this many.
Just made up my mind though to focus on tweaking everything I have to perfection first/installing some stock-piled mods I have yet to get to (also why I don't post as much as before)...

Exaaaactly. I've got a bunch of games in my garage already that need repairs, restorations, etc...and once those are done I'd like to rotate those into the house to play - so, I have plenty of games to enjoy. I'm sick of spending time on shop-outs, so - really looking forward to finishing the last of my projects and just being done with that aspect for ...well, forever if I can help it lol.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So, I've been burning out on buying/fixing...and have even been planning on whittling down the collection and selling a few games....but, cuz I'm a gaddamn junkie - I looked on Craigslist yesterday and oh - there's a nice looking WHO dunnit for $1800! Seemed "cheap" by today's prices. It's a game I always thought was kinda cool but never owned. The seller called me, guess I was the first to Email...prob cuz all the collectors are up at CAX this weekend. I was all set to check it out and buy it today. As I was thinking about picking it up, it was stressing me out more than it was exciting me. Hours of driving, spending time in the 100 degree heat packing it up, unloading it...putting it in the garage w/ the rest of my projects that I don't feel like working on.
Soooo...after going back and forth (and pin-friends telling me to GO GET IT) I talked myself out of it. I let the seller know I wasn't coming and to go ahead and contact the other interested parties. So - whoever got the WHO dunnit in Huntington Beach - you're welcome!
Instead I spent some time FINALLY fixing my Metallica drop targets and playing the hell out of it. I feel like I made the sane choice - stay home where it's cool and enjoy what I have instead of getting more that I don't need. NO MORE PINS FOR ME!!!!!! ...um...well, unless a cheap MM falls in my lap or something. Let's see how long this self-imposed pin-celibacy can last for...

Wow that must have been tough but you did the rite thing. I only have room for 4-5 in my game room. But if I sold my pool table....

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

But if I sold my pool table

Do it!

#26 5 years ago

No, no, no. There's NO WAY I could afford 6 or 7 more pins. Besides chicks dig playing pool...makes um feel like bad girls.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

so my pin buying habits have been great curtailed in the last 5-6 months.

Well that really blows, now doesn't it?

#28 5 years ago

That was you who backed out? Thanks so much!!! I went to that guys house and he tells me is brother has a few pins he's trying to sell too. Turns out his brother has has a HUO Midevil Madness. This thing had barely been played and was in mint shape. He wanted $4000 because he "didn't want to take a huge loss" but I told him that was too low and gave him $7000 to be fair. He was happy. I was very happy. You rock man!

#29 5 years ago

I'm picking up 5 more pins this Friday
I am also seriously at the breaking point and totally understand where you're at.
Many of mine are what I would call "playing projects"... but, even though they are mostly functional, it still stresses me out when I think of when I'll get to them.

Im in the process of buidling a proper gameroom to house most of my games... as well as converting my garage for a restoraiton workshop and overflow space. im already maxed out of both spaces
The plan will be to spend the next couple of months assessing what I want to keep and what can go.

#30 5 years ago

My problem is I have a location that can take more pins, so even if I reach my space limit at home, they can keep piling up at the location.

I stopped myself from picking up a WH2O this weekend for a very reasonable price. I need some work done on the house, so figured I should get that done first. Plus there are other games I want that I have not already owned.

#31 5 years ago

I'm picking up 5 more pins this Friday
I am also seriously at the breaking point and totally understand where you're at.
Many of mine are what I would call "playing projects"... but, even though they are mostly functional, it still stresses me out when I think of when I'll get to them ......."

Hmmmm... all I can say is to prioritize my friend!

frantics.gif

#32 5 years ago

What's one more pin....really?

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm sick of spending time on shop-outs.

Then why did you buy a Metallica? *drum roll*!! Just messing man.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Then why did you buy a Metallica? *drum roll*!! Just messing man.

Those are repairs, not shop outs. Game's still clean

Drop targets are now fixed, Metallica's rockin...it made much more sense to fix 'n play my Metallica all weekend instead of getting another game.

#35 5 years ago

I gave you a thumbs up on your passing on the W?D.

The odd reality: The more people that pass on good deals, the more good deals there will be out there to be had.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Tom_in_NoVA:

I gave you a thumbs up on your passing on the W?D.
The odd reality: The more people that pass on good deals, the more good deals there will be out there to be had.

Very true.

Passed on a good Popeye for $700, but I don't regret it.

#37 5 years ago

Hey kwiKi, is that one of those oxy-morons?

#38 5 years ago

Rarehero, get rid of that intervention jiminy cricket off your shoulder and listen to the cat

imagesCAEYR120.jpg

#39 5 years ago

I passed up a $1300 Dracula yesterday. Granted, it was a CL ad with copied/pasted stock IPDB pics, because the real machine was "in storage somewhere," and he was already starting with the "well, someone's coming to get it after work, but if you beat their price you can come earlier.." stuff, so I passed. I don't need to end up robbed and dead in a storage locker somewhere.

#40 5 years ago

This is a good post and good conversation. I have the same feelings about my collection worth being trimmed to do other things. Quite honestly, my $500 ping pong table gets far far more play than any pin I have. My kids make me play ping pong all the time. Even pinheads that come over to my garage pick up a paddle and seem to have more fun playing ping pong than my collection. I am thinking of buying an air hockey table next instead of another pinball because "physical" games seem to be more fun for the kids and visitors......and are way cheaper.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Very true.
Passed on a good Popeye for $700, but I don't regret it.

Oooph...I don't know if my pin-celibacy could hold off on a deal like that. If it's local and sub ~$1000 I'd prob have to go get it lol ...if anything to just pass it along to a friend and cockblock a flipper.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from ebononcini:

I am thinking of buying an air hockey table next instead of another pinball because "physical" games seem to be more fun for the kids and visitors......and are way cheaper.

Air hockey tables are great fun if you have a lot of people over. And have the room for one of course.

Only drawback is they weigh a ton. Especially the large commercial ones.

rd.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside