(Topic ID: 260327)

I had a bad accident and need a little help. I hate to ask.

By hailrazer

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 326 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200301_082857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2021 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2020 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2018 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151401 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151302 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151124 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151058 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151044 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151052 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151010 (resized).jpg
    20200204_134641 (resized).jpg
    20200204_140753 (resized).jpg
    20200124_131832 (resized).jpg
    20200124_131827 (resized).jpg
    oliver_twist-more (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 4 years ago

Personally I think a church should at least be required to have insurance when they accept constant volunteer work from their members. Only seems fair.

And if you have a detached retina that operation would be emergency status and would be done within days. They won't allow you to wait as it will result in permanent blindness without a vitrectomy.

Best wishes

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

What I "love" about people these days is everyone has something to say until they need a hand then the world is coming to an end. This guy already has had a few friends post here saying what a good guy he is - etc. Why doubt what he is saying? If you don't want to help him out just move on!
    My take on this is the church should have insurance to cover this and in time the logical thing to do would be to talk to the right people and get that worked out. But even if the church does have insurance there will still be plenty of bills that need to be paid while he is out of work. So if you can why not help him out until he gets back on his feet?
    If you don't feel the need to help just move on but don't accuse the OP of lying or trying to BS people when he is down on his luck. Bad shit happens to all of us at some point in life and typically it happens at the worst possible time. So put yourself into his shoes before giving him a bunch of shit here.

When you ask for assistance in a public forum it's expected that there will be questions. Some people may want some confirmation before sending funds.

Surely you don't want them to "move on" when a couple facts might help them donate?

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

The picture was when I left to go to the Surgery. My mother said she wanted a last pic in case I didn't wake up.
    I just got up and had my wife take a pic of me now. I get my wounds checked friday and will take pics of my arms and show the scars.[quoted image]

Glad to see it went well. You'll have some painful physical therapy ahead of you but hopefully you'll get back most of your abilities.

So you didn't have a detached retina then? You're lucky as this can result in multiple operations that can hamstring you for quite a while. Don't ask me how I know.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Thanks I will look into these options. I appreciate the help.

Maybe you should also remove the "detached retina" claim from your fundme page also? Just a suggestion.

It's not a trivial operation and can be expensive without insurance. You wouldn't want people donating over this procedure if you got lucky (with this) and avoided the injury.

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

If I was the OP, I would immediately inquire about the church's liability insurance, and potentially retain a lawyer. Whether they have insurance or not - the OP needs to ask. His situation is exactly why non-profit organizations carry liability insurance.
    https://www.farmers.com/business/industry/religious-organizations/
    https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/home-and-property/associations-organizations/church-insurance

OR... you could simply move your goalpost from 5K to 15K. As he has now done.

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Another repeated falsehood. When my dad had a detached retina they immediately transported him to Montreal to have emergency surgery. He's been well taken care of. Got any stories about healthcare nightmares here in the good ol' USA?

A detached retina is always considered emergency surgery so it HAS to be done right away. I don't want to get involved in nationalistic bickering but this procedure will always put you in front of the sometimes lengthy ques. True in the US, UK and yes... even Canada

My point is the example you give doesn't disprove long waits for other types of surgical procedures. Glad to hear about your Dad's health.

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

I haven't paid attention to the whole thread, but saw it was at $15K when I saw someone post it on Facebook last night.

Nah... Somebody even recently complimented him on making his 5K goal. It was a 5K goal when he started this thread.

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

I never changed it. It was $15k from the start.

No it was not.

Wonder why someone else also complimented you on reaching your 5K goal then? I didn't see it later on FB. I saw the original gofundme when you put it up.

In any case you've done pretty darn well for yourself. I don't begrudge you for keeping it going.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from weskelly:

BS -- I saw it moments after it was posted- It was 15 then. If he changed it, it was changed during those few moments.

I thought I knew what I saw but if it is a point of contention then who cares? I'll take your word he's a good guy.

You do know there's been other changes to the page also right?

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I congratulated him a hour earlier, as his initial post mentioned the $5,000 deductible being the first, big, monetary hurdle he would face. Once he hit $5,000 mark on gofundme, I made the congratulatory post.
    I apologize if I created any confusion.

Hey I was sure yesterday that his goal was 5K but maybe I was wrong... who knows? If I'm wrong I'll blame you Other things have had to be changed on that page so... who cares?

Like I said before... he seems to be a hit and I did my part to help him avoid any accusations of "piling on" or a "scam" so I'm happy for him.

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from weskelly:

Really no point of contention, you were just flat out wrong. And if he changed something to make a correction about an unintentional mistatement, seems like the right thing to do. Is the detached retina thing the "gotcha" change or moment you are referencing? Assuming it is, and borrowing your words, who cares? He told me that well before the gofundme was posted, because there was talk of it and he was told that it was a concern and possibility. Glad it wasn't the case.

Well hell... was I wrong to try to get him to remove the untrue claim of a "detached retina"?. He didn't write "there's a possibility,etc"... he just said he had it. Period.

Notice how I had to *politely* mention it to him THREE times before he took his claim of a "detached retina" off his page and his original post and he never did bother to explain it when he replied to me. Just ignored that part of my post but replied about something else.

People are rightfully wary of gofundme's so I figured the guy would get tagged as a scam artist if he claimed he had a detached retina and yet no emergency operation to show for it.

I appreciate your defense of your friend but don't attack me over it. I think the cleaning up his gofundme page was just as valuable for him as your character reference.

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

You were awrsome. Thanks for all your insight. I appreciate it. I had to go to the Doctor today, work up a sermon and I'm on serious meds. I've missed some posts and messed some stuff up. I'm truly sorry and do not wish to deceive anyone. Thanks for your help. Truly I mean it.

Thanks for the reply. I probably didn't phrase things very well but I'm delighted you didn't end up having a detached retina on top of your other trauma. You can end up having two or three operations on the one eye... including the required cataract surgery as a cataract will form within six months of the first operation.

Anyway heal quick and you must be a good guy as you have some good friends in your corner.

#192 4 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

45%, but I'm guaranteed health care? I'll take it. A lot if us are already paying that much when you add up income tax, property tax, gas tax, sales tax, FICA, etc. Then insurance premiums/deductibles/copays on top.

That's not a correct comparison though. 45% is where it STARTS... then like here, there are a myriad of other things you are taxed on. VAT fees for all kinds of things, property tax, gas tax that can bring it to $5 a gallon, etc.

No question though that health care for people that don't have an employer (self-employed,etc) footing much of the bill needs a serious overhaul.

1 week later
    #287 4 years ago

Better plan on spending some extra time getting through airport security from now on

They did a nice job on the stitches... I thought they'd be far more gnarly looking afterwards. Now you can't scare little kids or impress women with them.

Yeah looks like you really *did* fall into some money.......

.... too soon?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-had-a-bad-accident-and-need-a-little-help-i-hate-to-ask?tu=manic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.