(Topic ID: 260327)

I had a bad accident and need a little help. I hate to ask.

By hailrazer

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 326 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200301_082857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2021 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2020 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2018 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151401 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151302 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151124 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151058 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151044 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151052 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151010 (resized).jpg
    20200204_134641 (resized).jpg
    20200204_140753 (resized).jpg
    20200124_131832 (resized).jpg
    20200124_131827 (resized).jpg
    oliver_twist-more (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hailrazer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

First let me say that this is the last thing that I would ever want to do. Those who know me know that I give 110% and never ask for help. I'm just not built that way. But I have to humble myself and ask this time. I need help.

This past Saturday I was at my Church volunteering and installing microphone cable in the drop ceiling. My loving wife was helping and holding the ladder for me. I needed a bit more light so she walked 4 feet away and opened the blinds on a window. 

I was reaching for a ceiling tile and the ladder flew out from under me. I nosedived into the carpet/concrete, I woke up with me head in her lap and her crying telling me she was sorry and didn't know what to do.

She called several friends who rushed over and took one look and said I needed to go to the Hospital. 911 was called and after a traumatizing 45 minute ride with them having to stop and roll me on my side 8 times to vomit we arrived at ER.

I suffered a  severe concussion and I crushed and dislocated both wrists. Broken blood vessels in my right eye and a laceration needing 4 stitches above my right eye. No swelling or bleeding in the head thankfully.

They released me without putting my wrists back in place because they were to damaged. But Tuesday they performed a 4 hour surgery in which they put my wrists in place, took out all bone and cartilage that was broke off, and ground everything smooth.  They put a 4" plate in each wrists and 8 pins to hold them.

The estimate is no doing anything for 3-6 months. I take dents out of cars for a living and it is all wrists. So I may never work again. Well I'll face that when the time comes.

Everyone who knows me knows I won't take this laying down. I will fight this with my last breath. I won't go quietly into the light

But I do need help. $5000 deductibles and no income for 3-6 months. I just can't handle that by myself.

So please consider helping if you can.  Any little bit will help.

And your prayers and love and well wishes are always welcome.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jonathan-wild-medical-fund-raiser?pc=fb_co_campmgmt_w&rcid=r01-157973766961-e1876390d6ba47eb&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_lico%2Bshare-sheet&fbclid=IwAR2zcaQHcl4e6EX1V9tQ1ZC0XGvhuRGQx8G5SfUTF81ehtQL_0Kfa7mhg3M

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Do you own any games you could sell?

Un fortunately I recently sold everything to pay off debts and get my house ready to sell. I have no way to raise cash other than credit cards. I am of course going to do that and then try to pay them off later. But with ow bad my wrists are the doctor says there is a good chance I won't be able to do the Paintless Dent Repair again.

I'm a fighter, I'll be able to do something, but it may be a while.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from bbaker2824:

Man that sucks! Thank God you didn't break your neck! I'll be praying for you and your family.

When I hit I thought I was about to die. I have never been hit that hard in my life. The doctor estimates a 35 mph impact from how bad the ulna's were shattered.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

Get well soon, sorry you have to go through this but it could have been worse.

You're telling me. I thank God I'm alive an able to drive my family insane for a few months

Quoted from ChipScott:

Went to your site and helped out.
    So sorry to hear about the accident, Jon.
    Sounds like a scary scenario and painful outcome. Glad the operations are at least done. I bet with a little physical therapy on the back end you'll be knocking them dents and flipping like a champ!!
    Hang in there buddy!!
    Chip (Meteor)

Thanks so much Chip! I hope so. I already miss Pinball. LOL

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

yup, time for the church to give a little back.

They have been in touch and are very supportive. but it is a volunteer organization with no-one being paid. So I am trying to handle it with my insurance and friends support the best I can. I promise though if somehow they can cover it I will stop the Go Fund Me and reimburse everyone who donates. I have never and will never take a penny fro anyone dishonestly.

And thanks to all that have donated. May god bless you all.

#29 4 years ago

I don't know why my wrists weren't put back in place. I was shown my Xrays when I left the ER. The 2 arm bones were facing up, the wrists were facing down. I was told that in surgery they were going to clean up the cartilage and bone fragments and place everything back where it was supposed to be. Then the plates on each ulnar with 4 pegs in each. I had no fractures. The ends of both ulnars and one radius were described as "crushed".

And my bad I thought the doctor said detached retina but after asking my wife they said the reason I couldn't see was burst blood vessels in the eye, the determined the retina was fine.

I know hundreds of members on here and on KLOV. I 've volunteered at the SFGE Expo for years. Anyone who knows me will vouch that I've never taken a penny from anyone for anything. In fact I did most of my restores for others for free. I would never lie nor embellish the truth. I was raised better. If I did not describe something properly I am sorry but I can only repeat what I heard from doctors.

Thanks to everyone that has donated and helped.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

From his post: "They put a 4" plate in each wrists and 8 pins to hold them" Take a look at his hands, no swelling, no ecchymosis, no external fixating devices etc. Sorry, not coming at you, but really? I call foul.

The picture was when I left to go to the Surgery. My mother said she wanted a last pic in case I didn't wake up.

I just got up and had my wife take a pic of me now. I get my wounds checked friday and will take pics of my arms and show the scars.

20200122_225828 (resized).jpg20200122_225828 (resized).jpg
    #32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manic:

When you ask for assistance in a public forum it's expected that there will be questions. Some people may want some confirmation before sending funds.
    Surely you don't want them to "move on" when a couple facts might help them donate?

Yes you are right. I am happy to answer any questions. And if you're not comfortable please don't donate.

If any of you listen to the Broken Token Podcast , Whitney and Brent said they are going to talk about me on this months upcoming podcast. I flew to Kentucky and helped Whitney with his SkySkipper cabinet a couple of years ago and we became good friends.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

It is a worthwhile question to inquire of the church if they have workers comp under their liability insurance. Even unpaid volunteers may be covered by a workers comp endorsement. If no workers comp then State disability would apply if you had a regular job. Good luck with your recovery

Thanks I will look into these options. I appreciate the help.

#49 4 years ago

Once again I want to thank everyone that has donated. I appreciate the prayers and advice. I am not trying to take advantage of anyone and as promised if this gets paid for in the future I will return everyones donations. I would never try to profit from this.

Thanks guys!

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

There will be no "profit" from this regardless of what settlement you might get from an insurance company. Your life will never be the same again! Not being able to work for at least a few months isn't going to be cheap. Once you can return to work you will not be as productive as you were before you hurt yourself. What ever money is raised should be used to help you through a tough time. Once you are better if you have excess funds "pay it forward" instead of worrying about it. People who help you out here are likely to be the same people who have gotten help through tough times in the past. They are "paying it forward" to you. Once the dust settles you will be able to do the same for others.
    Our family has been through several "rough patches" over the years. Things will get better & in the end you will be a better person. Every "bad event" that has happened to us over the years has made us stronger and more aware of how quickly things can change.
    NEVER take a good day for granted - enjoy every day like it might be your last! None of us know what might be in our future so while we are on this earth all we can do is our best to enjoy life & help as many people as possible along the way. It isn't people with the biggest bank accounts that have had a good life. It is the people who have shared what they have that are truly rich.
    Take care of yourself & don't "worry" too much about anything. All will work out in the end. This is not a setback it is a growing experience that will make you an even better person in the end. Don't feel like you are asking for charity asking for a little help during a rough time. All you are asking for is a hand up NOT a hand out.

Thank you so much. Your words mean a lot to me. It was incredibly hard for me to ask. I take care of my wife, my mother, my handicap sister and a son with problems. They had to convince me to humble myself and ask for help.

And after seeing the outpouring of support I am glad I did. When times get tough it helps to know that other people think you are a good person and a good friend and are willing to give you all the support you could ask for.

Thanks again for the encouraging words.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

The church should pay for it all. It seems very negligent to have no professionals climbing ladders to install electrical wiring.

It wasn't electrical. It was merely microphone cable in the drop ceiling. A simple job that I messed up. I have been trained in ladder safety. I didn't maintain 3 points of contact and my helper left the ladder. I made a poor decision and I have paid for it. Hopefully I can learn a lesson and be safer in the future.

#96 4 years ago

Yes I am looking into it. If they can help, they will I am sure.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manic:

OR... you could simply move your goalpost from 5K to 15K. As he has now done.

I never changed it. It was $15k from the start.

Quoted from Manic:

Nah... Somebody even recently complimented him on making his 5K goal. It was a 5K goal when he started this thread.

No it was not.

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manic:

Well hell... was I wrong to try to get him to remove the untrue claim of a "detached retina"?. He didn't write "there's a possibility,etc"... he just said he had it. Period.
    Notice how I had to *politely* mention it to him THREE times before he took his claim of a "detached retina" off his page and his original post and he never did bother to explain it when he replied to me. Just ignored that part of my post but replied about something else.
    People are rightfully wary of gofundme's so I figured the guy would get tagged as a scam artist if he claimed he had a detached retina and yet no emergency operation to show for it.
    I appreciate your defense of your friend but don't attack me over it. I think the cleaning up his gofundme page was just as valuable for him as your character reference.

You were awesome. Thanks for all your insight. I appreciate it. I had to go to the Doctor today, work up a sermon and I'm on serious meds. I've missed some posts and messed some stuff up. I'm truly sorry and do not wish to deceive anyone. Thanks for your help. Truly I mean it.

#185 4 years ago

The house is not mine alone. When my dad died of cancer I went in with my mother in buying the house. We got it for $20 a square foot on foreclosure. We then sold our houses which had mortgages also to move in together. I moved in my Mom, my grandmother, my handicap sister and my wife and 2 kids. It took 5 years to sell one of the other houses and I lost $120,000 in bank payments because I am a man of my word and would not just let it go back to the bank.

In the last 2 years my grandmother died of a stroke and my 2 kids moved out. So we decided to fix the house up and sell it and downsize as we cannot afford the home. I sold everything I had in the way of games and toys and tools and hobby stuff to pay off debts and fix the house up.

Most of the contents came from consolidating three homes and three debts.

"Sell off the contents" I looked into it and was told that you get pennies on the dollar for furniture. The pinball and air hockey table might get a few hundred. Other than that there's not much to sell.

It is a nice home but it is in a repressed area and I was told it might not sell at all. I got a good deal and did a ton of work and was hoping that after years of debt I might be able to sell it and maybe recoup some loss. But I have not had one interested person yet. The realtor said we will just keep dropping the price and maybe somebody will bite in the next year or two.

I am not rich, I have no extra money, I live month to month in a home I paid $260,000 for to fit in 3 families. I do great remodeling work, did it all myself. But it's just a home. It won't pay the bills.

I did the GoFundMe because I have a lot of friends, a lot of people that I have done a lot for. If I do not get help then in 3-6 months I will be around $40k in debt and may not even have a job. I knew that my true friends would be there for me. And as can be seen they have. There are good, loving, kind beautiful people still on this earth and they have been a light in this dark time for me. And I thank them with all my heart!

As mentioned, if you have an issue or problem do not donate, I am not asking anything from you, I am asking my true friends for help, and they lovingly are responding.

#188 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

I’m sorry you had to lay out that much personal info. Unfortunately there’s a lot of assholes out there using the go fund me thing as a way to steal money so I get it when people are suspicious. I’m one of them, I trust no one. It’s just part of the business I’m in. Thank you though for not getting angry, offended, defensive and turning this into a shit show. That tells me right there that this is real and you really are in a tough spot. Nobody wants to air their hardships to strangers, especially strangers that could also be considered friends just from a common website that they frequent everyday.

I truly understand. I am sitting here with tears running down my face telling my family I should have never asked for help. I wish now I wouldn't have. I have never done a single person wrong or hurt a soul. I'm sorry I have caused problems here on Pinside. I just was hoping for a little help. I hate sitting still and not working and not helping people.

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wesmantooth:

This guy just trashed me and my husband who has a disease and unfortunately my husband has fell ill while we were going to try to sell our pinball machine. Called us frauds low life’s and made actuations that we were lying....for what we have nothing to gain .

I'm sorry. Who did this to you?

#209 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

That is a lovely house, only thing that concerns me is the camera? Pointing at the bed??
    What line of work did you say you was in again hehe.

We were in a rush trying to get the house ready for pictures and the bird watching camera was in the way. I told my wife to move it and that happened. Embarrassing to say the least.

#257 4 years ago

Just got back from having the surgery wounds checked. Doc said they look great. He wants me to start finger and wrist stretching and slight rotating. Pics for those who want to see such things. Ughhh.

20200124_131827 (resized).jpg20200124_131827 (resized).jpg20200124_131832 (resized).jpg20200124_131832 (resized).jpg
    #263 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

Looks like some quality stitching there.
    That sucks, man. For how some fellow pinsiders vouched for you, I kicked in. I’d rather help someone who has helped others then live in a world where everything is a scam. You’ve carried yourself with dignity here, my respect. If you ever get up to Milwaukee, you owe me a beer.
    Cmon pinside - help a brother out.

Thank you so much!

I can't thank you enough. God bless you.

I understand peoples skepticism and fears. That's why I really was just asking for help from those I have helped. But it is people like yourself and others on Pinside and elsewhere that have restored much of my faith that there is still a lot of goodness in the world despite all the bad things happening.

#267 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

How does your foot taste?

It's alright. He was going with the information he had and was trying to protect this community. No hard feelings here.

#271 4 years ago

Saturday morning bump! Almost 1/2 way to their goal. Please do what you can to help someone in need here. I don't know John but he sounds like a great guy that has done a lot for people over the years. I am sure every little bit will help.

Thanks!

I am supposed to be mentioned on 2 pinball podcasts on the 1st. Hopefully that will reach some more kind people.

Thanks again to all who have helped.

#275 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinkitten:

It’s sad you had to prove anything by posting pictures of your post-surgery sutures. But at least the few skeptics should be satisfied this was a sincere plea for help from a community that shares a common passion. Those who gave a few bucks should be proud. We helped pay for the care you received and hopefully it will have you on the road to recovery very soon. You need those arms for pin-flipping.

Yes indeed. I am so thankful to everyone here that gave. The love and support shown was tremendous. What I received will cover the medical bills. With family help I should be able to make it the next 3 months without going into severe debt. I will still go into some debt but with Gods help I will pay it off in the next year or so.

This has been a real faith restorer for me. You guys are awesome!

#282 4 years ago

It reached 50%. Thanks everyone!

Thanks also too-many-pins , Ive been 100% transparent and tried to answer all questions. And yes I still do need some help, but I am not complaining because this is way more than I expected. With this help and God and Family I will make it!

Thank you all from the bottom to the top of my heart!

#284 4 years ago

The Fundraiser just hit $9000.

Thanks everyone!

I've been slowly weaning myself off the painkillers. I went 24 hours without one but then caved so I could sleep.

Thought I could give myself a shower but after 4 hours of pain I decided I was moving a bit fast.

Thus afternoon is my eye exam to make sure my eye is healing. Still have broken blood vessels but the blurriness is gone most of the time.

Thanks again you guys

#285 4 years ago

The stitches and staples were removed today. One stitch was infected and tied to tight so it had to be dug out. Not fun!

The xrays were good. Everything was fine. You can see on the left wrist that the end of the radius is still broken off. I was told they do not fix that.
    Things are going good. 4 more weeks until next appointment and then I can start trying to strengthen things to get back to work.
    20200204_140753 (resized).jpg20200204_140753 (resized).jpg20200204_134641 (resized).jpg20200204_134641 (resized).jpg

#288 4 years ago

Hey guys. Just a little update.

I'm doing better. Still no range of motion in my wrists and they hurt like Heck, but I am doing better every day. Once again thanks so much for all the prayers, well wishes and donations!

I want to give back, even if in just a small way. I have some pinball items I would like to give to any who helped. My wife has some money from selling some clothes and said she could afford to ship a few items. So the following items are free to anyone who donated. One item each please

1: Whirlwind Translite......Used but in fairly good condition.

2: Pinwrench - Perfect for pinball leg and backbox bolts.

3: Logic Probe

4: Button Nut Remover/ CRT adjustmen tools / IC chip remover

5: Spoken For/Gone ......... Circuit Breakers - From 1/2A - 20A - Perfect for when you have a fuse blowing and don't want to keep blowing $2 fuses.

6: Hulk - Gottlieb Backglass - It is flaking but makes a great wall hanger. Can't ship this one but if someone close donated they can come get it anytime.

7: Snes Classic. Hacked for adding games
    20200208_151010 (resized).jpg20200208_151010 (resized).jpg20200208_151044 (resized).jpg20200208_151044 (resized).jpg20200208_151052 (resized).jpg20200208_151052 (resized).jpg20200208_151058 (resized).jpg20200208_151058 (resized).jpg20200208_151124 (resized).jpg20200208_151124 (resized).jpg20200208_151302 (resized).jpg20200208_151302 (resized).jpg20200208_151401 (resized).jpg20200208_151401 (resized).jpg

Added over 4 years ago:

The PinWrench is Spoken For!

Added over 4 years ago:

Whirlwind Translite is on it's way to a new owner!

Added over 4 years ago:

The Circuit Breakers are spoken for and shipped!

Added over 4 years ago:

The Logic Probe is Spoken for and on it's way to it's new home!

Added over 4 years ago:

The Snes Classic is headed to it's new home!

#291 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Nice jesture, but you should sell the items for your needs.

I found them sitting in a box. I am so grateful for what everyone has done and they aren't worth much. I just wanted to give a little back. When you're sitting around feeling bad , doing something for others makes you feel better.

#292 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Donated - and my goodness - praise God you're alive

Thank you so much! May God bless you.

#298 4 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

Donated. Best of luck.

Thank you so much. God bless.

#300 4 years ago

The Circuit Breakers are on their way to a new owner!

The PinWrench is on it's way to a new owner!

#301 4 years ago

The Whirlwind Translite is in the mail to it's new owner!

#302 4 years ago

The Logic Probe has a new owner!

Thanks everyone for your donations and prayers. I'm doing much better, well until I saw the bills start coming in

But with your help and the help of God and Family I'll make it

#310 4 years ago

The Snes Classic is headed to it's new home!

#312 4 years ago

Sadly he didn't reach his fund raising goal but what he did get should help him a good bit short term.

The GoFundMe just reached 75% and I am so thankful to everyone here, all my Facebook friends, my IRL friends and my family. What a blessing everyone has been! I still have people bringing over food and driving me places I need to go. It's been faith strengthening and awesome!

Even without hitting 100% I am now confident I can make it without going backwards to far. And with Gods help I should be back to work in less than a month and by 2 months hopefully back to almost normal. And if not , well I'll make it somehow. If this has taught me anything its taught me to see the positive in everything.

Thanks again for all the help!

#316 4 years ago

I think it is time to give this a bump again. A few dollars will not break any of us but would sure help OP. Everyone please do what they can to help OP reach his goal. Even though he expects to get back to work in a month or so I am sure things will be tough for him over the next few months and every little bit will help.

Once again, thanks so much for the kind words and support. It seems like everytime you post I get a bit more

#317 4 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

I sent him money directly, I dont deal with gofundme n stuffs, and thats after I didnt get the snes classic

Thanks for your donation. I added it on the GoFundMe as an anonymous donation.

#319 4 years ago
    Quoted from DennisNordman:

I just read this and donated. All the best to you, Jonathan. I once spent 3 months in the hospital with a lot of broken bones. I know it's no fun, but it will get better. A few years from now it will be a great story!

Thanks so much Dennis!

My first AlphaNumeric was a Dr. Dude. I loved it! Your pins are some of the best I've ever played. I also love listening to you on Charlie's Podcast. You guys crack me up.

I remember hearing about your accident. Glad you recovered from it. I'm sure I will look back and tell everyone one day about my "stupid" accident. LOL

1 week later
    #320 4 years ago

Went to the doctor today. I was in a bit of pain. Turns out I displaced the fracture in my right radius. I had a major pipe burst and tried to dig down to it with a pick axe and a shovel. I didn't do much before my neighbor saw me and took over. But apparently I hurt myself.

I'm in braces with doctor's orders to do nothing for 2 weeks. Stinks but it is my fault. I hate asking for help but I should have sooner. God bless the kindness of my neighbor.

IMG_2018 (resized).jpgIMG_2018 (resized).jpgIMG_2020 (resized).jpgIMG_2020 (resized).jpgIMG_2021 (resized).jpgIMG_2021 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hailrazer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-had-a-bad-accident-and-need-a-little-help-i-hate-to-ask?tu=hailrazer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.