(Topic ID: 260327)

I had a bad accident and need a little help. I hate to ask.

By hailrazer

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 326 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200301_082857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2021 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2020 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2018 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151401 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151302 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151124 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151058 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151044 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151052 (resized).jpg
    20200208_151010 (resized).jpg
    20200204_134641 (resized).jpg
    20200204_140753 (resized).jpg
    20200124_131832 (resized).jpg
    20200124_131827 (resized).jpg
    oliver_twist-more (resized).jpg
    There are 326 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 4 years ago

First let me say that this is the last thing that I would ever want to do. Those who know me know that I give 110% and never ask for help. I'm just not built that way. But I have to humble myself and ask this time. I need help.

This past Saturday I was at my Church volunteering and installing microphone cable in the drop ceiling. My loving wife was helping and holding the ladder for me. I needed a bit more light so she walked 4 feet away and opened the blinds on a window. 

I was reaching for a ceiling tile and the ladder flew out from under me. I nosedived into the carpet/concrete, I woke up with me head in her lap and her crying telling me she was sorry and didn't know what to do.

She called several friends who rushed over and took one look and said I needed to go to the Hospital. 911 was called and after a traumatizing 45 minute ride with them having to stop and roll me on my side 8 times to vomit we arrived at ER.

I suffered a  severe concussion and I crushed and dislocated both wrists. Broken blood vessels in my right eye and a laceration needing 4 stitches above my right eye. No swelling or bleeding in the head thankfully.

They released me without putting my wrists back in place because they were to damaged. But Tuesday they performed a 4 hour surgery in which they put my wrists in place, took out all bone and cartilage that was broke off, and ground everything smooth.  They put a 4" plate in each wrists and 8 pins to hold them.

The estimate is no doing anything for 3-6 months. I take dents out of cars for a living and it is all wrists. So I may never work again. Well I'll face that when the time comes.

Everyone who knows me knows I won't take this laying down. I will fight this with my last breath. I won't go quietly into the light

But I do need help. $5000 deductibles and no income for 3-6 months. I just can't handle that by myself.

So please consider helping if you can.  Any little bit will help.

And your prayers and love and well wishes are always welcome.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jonathan-wild-medical-fund-raiser?pc=fb_co_campmgmt_w&rcid=r01-157973766961-e1876390d6ba47eb&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_lico%2Bshare-sheet&fbclid=IwAR2zcaQHcl4e6EX1V9tQ1ZC0XGvhuRGQx8G5SfUTF81ehtQL_0Kfa7mhg3M

#2 4 years ago

Do you own any games you could sell?

#3 4 years ago

Man that sucks! Thank God you didn't break your neck! I'll be praying for you and your family.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Do you own any games you could sell?

Un fortunately I recently sold everything to pay off debts and get my house ready to sell. I have no way to raise cash other than credit cards. I am of course going to do that and then try to pay them off later. But with ow bad my wrists are the doctor says there is a good chance I won't be able to do the Paintless Dent Repair again.

I'm a fighter, I'll be able to do something, but it may be a while.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from bbaker2824:

Man that sucks! Thank God you didn't break your neck! I'll be praying for you and your family.

When I hit I thought I was about to die. I have never been hit that hard in my life. The doctor estimates a 35 mph impact from how bad the ulna's were shattered.

#6 4 years ago

Get well soon, sorry you have to go through this but it could have been worse.

#7 4 years ago

Went to your site and helped out.
    So sorry to hear about the accident, Jon.
    Sounds like a scary scenario and painful outcome. Glad the operations are at least done. I bet with a little physical therapy on the back end you'll be knocking them dents and flipping like a champ!!
    Hang in there buddy!!
    Chip (Meteor)

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

I'm a fighter, I'll be able to do something, but it may be a while.

Not to mention you know how to build a pinball machine from the ground up!! ...and you're a craftsman and an electrical mastermind!!!! I'm still in awe of your workroom that you showed me and what you're able to do!

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

Get well soon, sorry you have to go through this but it could have been worse.

You're telling me. I thank God I'm alive an able to drive my family insane for a few months

Quoted from ChipScott:

Went to your site and helped out.
    So sorry to hear about the accident, Jon.
    Sounds like a scary scenario and painful outcome. Glad the operations are at least done. I bet with a little physical therapy on the back end you'll be knocking them dents and flipping like a champ!!
    Hang in there buddy!!
    Chip (Meteor)

Thanks so much Chip! I hope so. I already miss Pinball. LOL

#10 4 years ago

You're welcome man. You're a super nice dude and it's a pleasure to help. I'm just sorry you were hurt and glad your noggin is still ok!!

#11 4 years ago

19 trillion gdp in US and dude has to ask pinball site for med bills. Just wrong. Hopefully you heal up OK, looks painful!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

19 trillion gdp in US and dude has to ask pinball site for med bills. Just wrong. Hopefully you heal up OK, looks painful!

Does that cover what we spend? Donation coming OP

#13 4 years ago

Donated, sounds like you gave the wife a good scare. Best of luck my man.

#14 4 years ago

Isn’t the church insured? I’d think their insurance would cover something?

#15 4 years ago

Donated earlier when a friend mentioned your situation to me and just saw you post here. Hang in there during this difficult time.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Happy81724:

Isn’t the church insured? I’d think their insurance would cover something?

yup, time for the church to give a little back.

#17 4 years ago

Sometimes a church will have a special collection or fundraiser in cases like these.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Does that cover what we spend?

Spend about 4 trillion, so lots of cash floating around somewhere...probably in the Cayman’s.

Bump, get well soon

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

yup, time for the church to give a little back.

They have been in touch and are very supportive. but it is a volunteer organization with no-one being paid. So I am trying to handle it with my insurance and friends support the best I can. I promise though if somehow they can cover it I will stop the Go Fund Me and reimburse everyone who donates. I have never and will never take a penny fro anyone dishonestly.

And thanks to all that have donated. May god bless you all.

#20 4 years ago

Easy to say from this side, but hang in there and focus on the positive. You can get through this!

#21 4 years ago

Im am sorry to say this but the pics you posted are inconsistent with the described injuries. If you had such a significant injuries to your bilateral ulnar bones than why are you in what appears to be bilateral velcro splints that are easily removable. You would not be "released" without putting your ulnar(S) in place as you would be at risk for further injury from a compromised blood supply, if the dislocations were not relocated promptly. If I am wrong it would be prudent for you to prove me wrong, especially when you are asking for contributions. This seems very suspect and as I believe anyone with medical training would have the same suspicions. If you are embellishing your injuries in an attempt to generate contributions than you are scamming and shame on you.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

Im am sorry to say this but the pics you posted are inconsistent with the described injuries. If you had such a significant injuries to your bilateral ulnar bones than why are you in what appears to be bilateral velcro splints that are easily removable. You would not be "released" without putting your ulnar(S) in place as you would be at risk for further injury from a compromised blood supply, if the dislocations were not relocated promptly. If I am wrong it would be prudent for you to prove me wrong, especially when you are asking for contributions. This seems very suspect and as I believe anyone with medical training would have the same suspicions. If you are embellishing your injuries in an attempt to generate contributions than you are scamming and shame on you.

I'm not an orthopedic, but I do know it is not uncommon for an ER to place someone with fractures at the arm and wrist and splints, discharge them from the ER to see an orthopedic the following day in clinic. I can tell by the pictures in the bottom right that he has a bouffant cap, which would only be given to someone who's about ready to go into surgery, which is what he described. As a physician myself I can tell you, as mentioned above, that while not all fractures at the arm and wrist are required to be immediately set in place and casted prior to discharge from an emergency department, also that does not mean that all fractures are easily set by an orthopedic on an outpatient basis without the occasional need to go to surgery to remove fragments or add additional plating and screws, if it is so needed. All sounded quite legit to me.

#23 4 years ago

Personally I think a church should at least be required to have insurance when they accept constant volunteer work from their members. Only seems fair.

And if you have a detached retina that operation would be emergency status and would be done within days. They won't allow you to wait as it will result in permanent blindness without a vitrectomy.

Best wishes

#24 4 years ago

From what he is describing it is entirely inconsistent. I would not pull the bullshit Dr. Card, but I am a physician as well practicing Emergency Medicine and see a ton of fracture dislocations. If you feel that after a 4 hour operation removable velcro splints, that can be easily purchased at a pharmacy, are appropriate for stabilization, than I can believe that you are not an orthopedic surgeon.

Quoted from ChipScott:

I'm not an orthopedic, but I do know it is not uncommon for an ER to place someone with fractures at the arm and wrist and splints, discharge them from the ER to see an orthopedic the following day in clinic. I can tell by the pictures in the bottom right that he has a bouffant cap, which would only be given to someone who's about ready to go into surgery, which is what he described. As a physician myself I can tell you, as mentioned above, that while not all fractures at the arm and wrist are required to be immediately set in place and casted prior to discharge from an emergency department, also that does not mean that all fractures are easily set by an orthopedic on an outpatient basis without the occasional need to go to surgery to remove fragments or add additional plating and screws, if it is so needed. All sounded quite legit to me.

#25 4 years ago

Yeah, like I said, I'm not an orthopedic, but folks do leave in splints from the ER with fractures of the arm and wrist all the time. Maybe that's what the ER had at the time. Who knows. But I don't get the feeling he's making anything up. I think you've said your piece, however.

#26 4 years ago

From his post: "They put a 4" plate in each wrists and 8 pins to hold them" Take a look at his hands, no swelling, no ecchymosis, no external fixating devices etc. Sorry, not coming at you, but really? I call foul.

Quoted from ChipScott:

Yeah, like I said, I'm not an orthopedic, but folks do leave in splints from the ER with fractures of the arm and wrist all the time. Maybe that's what the ER had at the time. Who knows. But I don't get the feeling he's making anything up. I think you've said your piece, however.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

From his post: "They put a 4" plate in each wrists and 8 pins to hold them" Take a look at his hands, no swelling, no ecchymosis, no external fixating devices etc. Sorry, not coming at you, but really? I call foul.

Fair enough. But I think that's a post-ER, pre-operation pic taken in his house in splints with closed fracture(s). Could be that discharging him from the ER in splints was a miserable idea given the fractures he described. Suppose he's lucky he didn't have a worse outcome. I'm glad he's done surgery though and seems to be in positive spirits.

#28 4 years ago

What I "love" about people these days is everyone has something to say until they need a hand then the world is coming to an end. This guy already has had a few friends post here saying what a good guy he is - etc. Why doubt what he is saying? If you don't want to help him out just move on!

My take on this is the church should have insurance to cover this and in time the logical thing to do would be to talk to the right people and get that worked out. But even if the church does have insurance there will still be plenty of bills that need to be paid while he is out of work. So if you can why not help him out until he gets back on his feet?

If you don't feel the need to help just move on but don't accuse the OP of lying or trying to BS people when he is down on his luck. Bad shit happens to all of us at some point in life and typically it happens at the worst possible time. So put yourself into his shoes before giving him a bunch of shit here.

#29 4 years ago

I don't know why my wrists weren't put back in place. I was shown my Xrays when I left the ER. The 2 arm bones were facing up, the wrists were facing down. I was told that in surgery they were going to clean up the cartilage and bone fragments and place everything back where it was supposed to be. Then the plates on each ulnar with 4 pegs in each. I had no fractures. The ends of both ulnars and one radius were described as "crushed".

And my bad I thought the doctor said detached retina but after asking my wife they said the reason I couldn't see was burst blood vessels in the eye, the determined the retina was fine.

I know hundreds of members on here and on KLOV. I 've volunteered at the SFGE Expo for years. Anyone who knows me will vouch that I've never taken a penny from anyone for anything. In fact I did most of my restores for others for free. I would never lie nor embellish the truth. I was raised better. If I did not describe something properly I am sorry but I can only repeat what I heard from doctors.

Thanks to everyone that has donated and helped.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

The picture was when I left to go to the Surgery. My mother said she wanted a last pic in case I didn't wake up.

I just got up and had my wife take a pic of me now. I get my wounds checked friday and will take pics of my arms and show the scars.

20200122_225828 (resized).jpg20200122_225828 (resized).jpg
    #31 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

What I "love" about people these days is everyone has something to say until they need a hand then the world is coming to an end. This guy already has had a few friends post here saying what a good guy he is - etc. Why doubt what he is saying? If you don't want to help him out just move on!
    My take on this is the church should have insurance to cover this and in time the logical thing to do would be to talk to the right people and get that worked out. But even if the church does have insurance there will still be plenty of bills that need to be paid while he is out of work. So if you can why not help him out until he gets back on his feet?
    If you don't feel the need to help just move on but don't accuse the OP of lying or trying to BS people when he is down on his luck. Bad shit happens to all of us at some point in life and typically it happens at the worst possible time. So put yourself into his shoes before giving him a bunch of shit here.

When you ask for assistance in a public forum it's expected that there will be questions. Some people may want some confirmation before sending funds.

Surely you don't want them to "move on" when a couple facts might help them donate?

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manic:

When you ask for assistance in a public forum it's expected that there will be questions. Some people may want some confirmation before sending funds.
    Surely you don't want them to "move on" when a couple facts might help them donate?

Yes you are right. I am happy to answer any questions. And if you're not comfortable please don't donate.

If any of you listen to the Broken Token Podcast , Whitney and Brent said they are going to talk about me on this months upcoming podcast. I flew to Kentucky and helped Whitney with his SkySkipper cabinet a couple of years ago and we became good friends.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

The picture was when I left to go to the Surgery. My mother said she wanted a last pic in case I didn't wake up.
    I just got up and had my wife take a pic of me now. I get my wounds checked friday and will take pics of my arms and show the scars.[quoted image]

Glad to see it went well. You'll have some painful physical therapy ahead of you but hopefully you'll get back most of your abilities.

So you didn't have a detached retina then? You're lucky as this can result in multiple operations that can hamstring you for quite a while. Don't ask me how I know.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Agree. Questions are one thing but I don't think its appropriate to outright call him a liar. Clearly he took a rough dive regardless of the exact medical terms... Hoping he gets the help he needs.

#35 4 years ago

It is a worthwhile question to inquire of the church if they have workers comp under their liability insurance. Even unpaid volunteers may be covered by a workers comp endorsement. If no workers comp then State disability would apply if you had a regular job. Good luck with your recovery

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

It is a worthwhile question to inquire of the church if they have workers comp under their liability insurance. Even unpaid volunteers may be covered by a workers comp endorsement. If no workers comp then State disability would apply if you had a regular job. Good luck with your recovery

Thanks I will look into these options. I appreciate the help.

#37 4 years ago

I broke both my wrists in a bike accident at age 13 and had casts on both for weeks and it sucked, badly. I’m glad it wasn’t worse.

Just donated. Get well soon. Make sure you ask the church for their liability insurance carrier info and file a claim if possible.

Good luck to you!

#38 4 years ago

Wow you were lucky. Ladders, f’ing ladders. Long road ahead- best wishes. So no pain in the fingers?

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Thanks I will look into these options. I appreciate the help.

Maybe you should also remove the "detached retina" claim from your fundme page also? Just a suggestion.

It's not a trivial operation and can be expensive without insurance. You wouldn't want people donating over this procedure if you got lucky (with this) and avoided the injury.

#40 4 years ago

I know of Jonathan mainly from the SFGE show and from people who have bought games from him, so I don't really know him that well. I do trust what he has said as Truth and donated, even if the church has something to cover the bills I wouldn't want anything back.

I hope you have a Speedy Recovery.

#41 4 years ago

I suspect requests like this in a hobby forum will always raise questions and doubt. I personally found it odd that this time last year you had a similar Pinside fund raiser for a friends Kidney medicine? As the church is the wealthiest company in the world my guess is they have insurance to help. I wish you well in your recovery prayers are always free.

#42 4 years ago

Feel better bud. I don’t have much but I kicked in what I could.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

As the church is the wealthiest company in the world my guess is they have insurance to help.

Did he ever say he was catholic?

#44 4 years ago

sorry for your accident

the church would have public liability insurance
    time to chat to a lawyer

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

Wow you were lucky. Ladders, f’ing ladders. Long road ahead- best wishes. So no pain in the fingers?

Four foot ladders, particularly aluminum ones, seem as stable as a bi-polar redhead at that time of the month for some reason. Had one go shooting out from under me without warning when building the garage in 2012. Lucked out, just knocked the breath out of me for several minutes.

6 foot fiberglass ones? Rock stable. I threw the four foot aluminum out.

Good luck on recovery! May it be speedy and without incident.

#46 4 years ago

You should lean heavily on the church for this before the internet.

#47 4 years ago

Agree here, churches have money. This is no time to feel generous an think “they need it” you volunteered and now they need to do good unto you! The church can spare it.

And regardless of what people think of our healthcare system, I know one of the American things you can do...
    Time to sue the ceiling tile company!
    Those ladder company schmucks probably have protection from this, but the ceiling tile company won’t know what fell off the ladder and hit them!

In all seriousness, I wish you the best and hope you got a laugh!

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

You should lean heavily on the church for this before the internet.

What people here don't seem to realize is bills keep coming in and getting a settlement takes time. Even if OP can get money from the insurance company and or the church it doesn't happen overnight. Back when I was in my 30's I had an accident working at my landscaping company. I was covered under workman's comp and carried a private disability insurance also. We were a fairly new company & I had all my assets tied up in the business. I came very close to having my house foreclosed on while I was waiting for money from my insurances. We made it though but it was tough.

Long term I am sure everything will work out fine for OP but that process could takes months (or longer). So in my eyes this guy needs a little help now not 6 months from now after the dust settles. For those of you living day to day who depend on this weeks paycheck to pay your bills that are coming due I am sure you understand. Sadly the guys with plenty of money in the bank are the ones that don't get it.

Is this the "right place" to ask for help. I think it is because we are suppose to be a community & communities support their members. But again there are a good many people in this community that only care about themselves and not helping others. You guys that can afford to keep buying $10,000+ machines and expensive mods can surely spare a few dollars to help another member of this community. Yet I would bet 90% of the people helping here are the same guys happy to have a few cheaper machines in their collection.

In any event regardless of what you have to say here bumping this post will help the OP get the money he needs by keeping this post on page one. So keep the post coming but remember one day you might be "down on your luck" so keep at least keep the comments positive.

#49 4 years ago

Once again I want to thank everyone that has donated. I appreciate the prayers and advice. I am not trying to take advantage of anyone and as promised if this gets paid for in the future I will return everyones donations. I would never try to profit from this.

Thanks guys!

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Agree here, churches have money.

I'm going to throw a flag on that one.

Not all churches have money, matter of fact I'd wager the majority don't.

Don't confuse what your local parish has with what is amassed in Rome. I'm a voting member of a local baptist church (which has nothing to do with Rome) who has access to the financials, our pastor is given $600 per month from the church funds and is married and has 2 sons.

Good thing he is a radiology technician and does woodworking on the side to make ends meet.

It does not hurt to inquire if the church this gentlemen was volunteering for can assist, but to assume his church is flush with cash.. well I doubt they would have people volunteering to run cabling if that was the case.

There are 326 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-had-a-bad-accident-and-need-a-little-help-i-hate-to-ask?hl=hailrazer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.