(Topic ID: 21264)

I guess us pinheads really are freaks ...

By gweempose

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by gweempose
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    Party_#5.jpg
    Party_#4.jpg
    Party_#3.jpg
    Party_#2.jpg
    Party_#1.jpg
    IMG_7295.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Last night we had a little neighborhood get together at our house. There were probably around 20 adults in attendance. After several hours of eating and drinking, I casually asked, "Is anybody up for some pinball?" This question was followed by an awkward silence that seemed to last an eternity. Finally, one of the other husbands said "I'm happy just hanging out on the patio and enjoying everyone's company." I have to say, I felt like a complete loser for even bringing it up.

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Lead by example brother. Go play, others will slink away to join you.

As much as I wanted to do that, I don't think my wife would have been very happy if I ditched the first neighborhood party we ever hosted.

Quoted from badbilly27:

Seriously though, beautiful evening last night so understand with all the weird weather wanting to stay outside.

I'd like to believe this at least had something to do with the guy's reaction. The weather has been crazy this summer, and it was particularly lovely on the evening of the party.

Quoted from RobT:

Believe me, I can very easily see that exact thing happening here if we had friends over who weren't already familiar with the fact I have pins.

Part of the problem is that these people really aren't my friends. They are neighbors. I am friendly with some of them, but we are kind of the newbies in the neighborhood. I have a lot of close friends who aren't into pinball at all, and they generally humor me and at least play a few games. Unfortunately, my next door neighbors had to leave the party early. They love pinball, and even have a Gottlieb Lawman that they bought NIB back in the early 70's. They would have led the charge, and others probably would have followed.

Quoted from RobT:

The perception is that they are toys for kids, and adults playing a pin is silly. Lots of ignorance.

I think you are dead on. Many people haven't played pinball since they were a kid. Consequently, they associate the game with childhood, and won't even give it a chance.

Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

If I have people coming over, I clean the glass, and fire up all the games. Dim the lights in the garage and it looks like an arcade.

Unfortunately, this won't work in my situation. My games are all in my basement, so people have to make a very deliberate journey down there.

Quoted from pinwillie:

Who is this guy anyway????

He's a doctor, probably in his early 40's.

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Were you wearing the reaper costume at the time?

Of course!

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Taken out of context that sounds wrong on many levels...

Yep, that kwiKi is a real sicko!

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I vote for a pinball party at your place the weekend of expo during a day when nothing fun is happening at expo ...

I'll take that under advisement.

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

Pshhhawwww...what do doctors know, anyway?!

Way more than me, I'm guessing. But can he rebuild a flipper?

11 months later
    #84 10 years ago

I'm bumping this thread because I'm about to experience "Part Deux". It's our turn to host again, and people are about to arrive. We'll see if it goes better this time. Hopefully, that f***er from last time doesn't show up.

#97 10 years ago

It went much better this time. The adults were all hanging out in the backyard for a while, and then one of the kids came outside and his mom asked, "What have you been doing, sweetheart?" He responded, "Playing pinball." This led to a discussion about my hobby, and I used the opportunity to invite anyone who was interested down into the basement to check out the games. Only a couple people came at first, but then the rest soon followed. The fact that it started pouring rain outside certainly didn't hurt my cause ...

Party_#1.jpgParty_#1.jpg
    Party_#2.jpgParty_#2.jpg
    Party_#3.jpgParty_#3.jpg
    Party_#4.jpgParty_#4.jpg
    Party_#5.jpgParty_#5.jpg

#102 10 years ago
    Quoted from JoeinNJ:

How'd the WOZ go over with your non pinball people?

Everyone really loved WOZ. Although, to be honest, they were having a blast playing all the games. If anything, Safecracker and AC/DC were the two most popular. One of the women grew up with an F-14 in her basement. She hadn't been exposed to many other pins, though, and she was like a kid in a candy store.

Quoted from MrBellMan:

I also recently added a deck to our detached garage/game room so that we are not forced to stay inside. A little bit of something for everyone!

That's awesome! I'm also jealous because of how easy it must be for you to get games in and out of your game room.

#106 10 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

I'm in Evanston. Please invite me over. I promise you won't have to ask me, I'll ask you to play your games!

You're more than welcome anytime. If you're ever in my hood, shoot me a PM.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-guess-us-pinheads-really-are-freaks?tu=gweempose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.