(Topic ID: 21264)

I guess us pinheads really are freaks ...

By gweempose

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by gweempose
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    Party_#5.jpg
    Party_#4.jpg
    Party_#3.jpg
    Party_#2.jpg
    Party_#1.jpg
    IMG_7295.jpeg

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Lead by example brother. Go play, others will slink away to join you.

This is what I do. Sometimes people are afraid to try them, unless they see me on them first. You just have to break the ice.

#52 7 years ago

who is this guy anyway????

#53 7 years ago

i always thought i was a freak for being tempted to ask a random local person i've never met before if i could try out their whirlwind since i've never played it (except on the PS3 williams collection).

also, did you mention it was free play? some people don't realize that if you own a machine you can just put it on free play instead of having to pump quarters. that way it doesn't matter how much you suck, you can just play and play and play and, you know, have fun?!?

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

Yea I usually don't bring it up - I leave the games on in my garage and the ones who want to play usually ask. Typically when one plays some others want to watch or also play. I have one friend who always wants to play so he is always out. They usually end up seeing the games because I keep all my beers in the garage refrigerator or they want to see the car.

Nice , I'm a car guy to what kind of car do you drive ?

#55 7 years ago

Were you wearing the reaper costume at the time?

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Last night we had a little neighborhood get together at our house. There were probably around 20 adults in attendance. After several hours of eating and drinking, I casually asked, "Is anybody up for some pinball?" This question was followed by an awkward silence that seemed to last an eternity. Finally, one of the other husbands said "I'm happy just hanging out on the patio and enjoying everyone's company." I have to say, I felt like a complete loser for even bringing it up.

Nothing wrong with your collection. Was Bravo there shooting "The Real Housewives of Northbrook" last night? That dude(?) was putting on a show for his wife.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Lead by example brother. Go play, others will slink away to join you.

As much as I wanted to do that, I don't think my wife would have been very happy if I ditched the first neighborhood party we ever hosted.

Quoted from badbilly27:

Seriously though, beautiful evening last night so understand with all the weird weather wanting to stay outside.

I'd like to believe this at least had something to do with the guy's reaction. The weather has been crazy this summer, and it was particularly lovely on the evening of the party.

Quoted from RobT:

Believe me, I can very easily see that exact thing happening here if we had friends over who weren't already familiar with the fact I have pins.

Part of the problem is that these people really aren't my friends. They are neighbors. I am friendly with some of them, but we are kind of the newbies in the neighborhood. I have a lot of close friends who aren't into pinball at all, and they generally humor me and at least play a few games. Unfortunately, my next door neighbors had to leave the party early. They love pinball, and even have a Gottlieb Lawman that they bought NIB back in the early 70's. They would have led the charge, and others probably would have followed.

Quoted from RobT:

The perception is that they are toys for kids, and adults playing a pin is silly. Lots of ignorance.

I think you are dead on. Many people haven't played pinball since they were a kid. Consequently, they associate the game with childhood, and won't even give it a chance.

Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

If I have people coming over, I clean the glass, and fire up all the games. Dim the lights in the garage and it looks like an arcade.

Unfortunately, this won't work in my situation. My games are all in my basement, so people have to make a very deliberate journey down there.

Quoted from pinwillie:

Who is this guy anyway????

He's a doctor, probably in his early 40's.

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Were you wearing the reaper costume at the time?

Of course!

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I like to ask my guests if they'd like to see it, and 99% of the time, they say yes. Even some of the younger guests seem to enjoy playing too.

Taken out of context that sounds wrong on many levels...

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Taken out of context that sounds wrong on many levels...

Yep, that kwiKi is a real sicko!

#60 7 years ago

gweem >> I vote for a pinball party at your place the weekend of expo during a day when nothing fun is happening at expo

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I vote for a pinball party at your place the weekend of expo during a day when nothing fun is happening at expo ...

I'll take that under advisement.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

He's a doctor, probably in his early 40's.

Pshhhawwww...what do doctors know, anyway?!

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

Pshhhawwww...what do doctors know, anyway?!

Way more than me, I'm guessing. But can he rebuild a flipper?

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Way more than me, I'm guessing. But can he rebuild a flipper?

Seems you both know more than me...noob on the forum!

I'll probably have to do so soon on my SF. I'm not looking forward to it; five flippers of fun!

#65 7 years ago

BOOOOO! How could they not want to play?? I will say, we had our neighbors over from across the street (a mom and her two teenagers) and they were hesitant to push the start buttons, but once they did, it was revealed that the mom was actually pretty DARN knowledgeable about pinball and they all had a great time. The little girl wouldn't give her brother a turn on TZ to save his life.

I could be like is the case with board games, peoples' initial reaction is "I don't wannnnnaaaa..." even when they KNOW it's fun and that they'll have fun. There's a barrier to entry, some kind of weird entropy about getting people to start. I will ask the youtube.com/vlogbrothers about that. It must be science of some kind...

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rabscuttle:

I could be like is the case with board games, peoples' initial reaction is "I don't wannnnnaaaa..." even when they KNOW it's fun and that they'll have fun. There's a barrier to entry, some kind of weird entropy about getting people to start. I will ask the youtube.com/vlogbrothers about that. It must be science of some kind...

Agreed. Seems like neighbors have to be really comfortable in order to go outside the norm. It really sucks for Gweem, but I think there is a reluctance there that everyone has mentioned. "Getting pwned" could also be a fear. I have played Qwelf (crazy board game) with friends and had a great time. However, do I think I would play it with my neighbors? Probably not, just because it's out of the comfort zone. The doctor may have been more content with saying, "Yes, I saved fifteen people in the last two days" rather than staring at the drain monster that is TZ.

Just my two cents. Gweem, you needn't worry yourself with neighborhood parties anymore. Invite pinsiders over! We will appreciate your collection!

#67 7 years ago

Ah, you should have challenged his manhood, something along the lines of "You don't have a hair on your balls if you don't challenge me in pinball". I'm sure that would have worked!

#68 7 years ago

I have (2) sets of friends. Ones that would rather come over and go downstairs to my mancave and play pool and drink beer, while the other set would rather come over, play and talk pins, and carry on long pinball conversations. Honestly, both sets of friends are nice, but the pool playing buddies of mine look at me and my hobby like a nerd, never understanding the fascination of owning a pinball. Especially spending that kind of money on one. But when I bring up stories about how I can't understand why you want to walk around with grease on your hands, putting dead animals on the walls of your house, or talk about how strong one power tool is better than the other one, they usually just laugh it off.

But honestly, I think if it wasn't such an image thing, I think they would play until their hearts content!

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Taken out of context that sounds wrong on many levels

Quoted from gweempose:

Yep, that kwiKi is a real sicko!

Probably should've revised my post.

#70 7 years ago

Sounds like your neighbors are no fun. Our current neighbors suck too. I love having cookouts and stuff, but pretty much stopped since my neighbors are all weird.

#71 7 years ago

We had a birthday party at my house this weekend for my 6 year old. Super Mario Bros is the only pin available to play (Joust is a project in the garage) and it was going the whole time. Kids, parents, grandparents, they all loved playing it.

#72 7 years ago

I guess I've been lucky, as most folks I've had over think they are super cool and fun. They ask a ton of questions, mostly where do you find them and how much are they worth. Older folks don't take to them as much as younger ones do, in my experience. I had my 40th bday bash in the garage with 9 pins setup. My neighbor had her 3 month old baby girl strapped to her chest, sleeping while she played pinball! Felt bad when the knocker on ToM scared the baby awake. Everyone, mostly the guys can't wait to come over again for a pinball and beer drinkin night in the garage arcade. The girls tend to hang together on the main level, taking turns in the massage chair. Everyone's happy!

Todd

#73 7 years ago

Most of my work friends or wife's friends aren't into it. Some will play a couple of games, I think, just to amuse me. Others won't even bother. I guess that is why most of my friends are pinheads. Their kids love them, though. And so does our family. I have been looking for one around Philly area to buy for my Mom.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Sounds like your neighbors are no fun. Our current neighbors suck too. I love having cookouts and stuff, but pretty much stopped since my neighbors are all weird.

My neighbors are a bunch of disability cases who yell at their kids for arbitrary nonsense while endowing them with issues of low self esteem and a poor personal body image. I cringe when my kids are playing outside with those messed up people's kids.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from BallPtPenTheif:

I cringe when my kids are playing outside with those messed up people's kids.

I hear that. Our kids don't really play with the neighbor kids either. They all probably call us the weird ones. With our pinball machines and loner kids.

One of my direct neighbors cried and called me a ruthless monster when I shot an aggressive possum in our backyard. The thing hissed at me, so I killed it. I don't need my 3 year old daughter being like "ohhh nice kitty" and getting mauled by a possum.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Last night we had a little neighborhood get together at our house. There were probably around 20 adults in attendance. After several hours of eating and drinking, I casually asked, "Is anybody up for some pinball?" This question was followed by an awkward silence that seemed to last an eternity. Finally, one of the other husbands said "I'm happy just hanging out on the patio and enjoying everyone's company." I have to say, I felt like a complete loser for even bringing it up.

I would be willing to bet that the "wifey" had a tight leash on him (his balls) and he knew that if he even thought about taking off to go enjoy himself...she would twist them even tighter!!! Either that or he is just...not a "typical" male!!!

Sorry had to say that...

Phoebe

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I hear that. Our kids don't really play with the neighbor kids either. They all probably call us the weird ones. With our pinball machines and loner kids.
    One of my direct neighbors cried and called me a ruthless monster when I shot an aggressive possum in our backyard. The thing hissed at me, so I killed it. I don't need my 3 year old daughter being like "ohhh nice kitty" and getting mauled by a possum.

Our neighborhood has an 8 year old girl, with apparently no parents, who constantly rides her bike around the area by herself knocking on our door asking for my kids to come out and play in the 104 degree weather.

"Can your kids come out and play?"

"Sorry, it's just too hot for them to play."

"Well I'm outside." ... awkward pause...

"Dude, my kids are like 4 years old." wtf?

screw that family

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Can be a tough crowd in Northbrook

My Dad lives in Deerfield...invite him over, I'm sure he'd love to play some games!

#79 7 years ago

Gweempose-

It happens to me all the time.

My close friends call me a pinball nerd....but everyone who has seen the gameroom thinks it pretty cool.

There is some truth to people just dont understand the game.

Keep your head up...We all think you're cool here

#80 7 years ago

You know I have a theory on all of this. This is going to be long winded. You've been warned.

We see pinball as a fairly social game. Truth be told, IT IS NOT. It IS social in a group that all wants to play, but then you're all breaking off on your own lonesome to play separate tables. It IS social to a group of guys or girls who like the games, know the tables and want to see old and new and beat high scores. But unless everyone is into the same game (and I mean beforehand knowledge) then you're not going to see people wanting to crowd around and watch. How many women you know just offhand that have beforehand knowledge of your games? And now we're talking about these guy's wives. And we're talking about neighbors and not friends who have to put up an "our life is great" front. And unless these wives have all unanimously never seen a pin before, they're probably not interested. And we know group mentality, DON'T BREAK THE NORM!

Luckily, my woman doesn't have this problem, which is why I can break off for a bit here and there at a bar when we're there with 10 people we don't know well, and play for a bit. She's cool with that, and also understands why nobody will ever join me. Like you guy's said: It's intimidating for new people, and even more so that this is viewed as a childhood thing, or a dying age of videogames.

So anyway, that leaves a group at a house (bar don't count) with two choices. AND this is considering the men want to see, play, whatever. Either split up with the wives/girlfriends, or not play. Odds are, unless all the guys and the women know each other well, like your best friends, they are not going to split up. (See neighborhood party) Now maybe one guy in your group wanted to see a game, but that uncomfortable silence hit and he froze. Then Johnny Dead-Inside has to make his comment to break the silence.

Now I'll hit you with a quick analogy. Aside from pins, I do frequent videogames. I know, hard to believe! But seriously, when we're together with, say, the couple we just met and don't know well, it's got to be a group thing. Obviously, women call the shots. Now when me and this guy are alone, we'll play football, mortal kombat, whatever on Xbox. Now once in a while, while we're with the girls I'll say, "You wanna play some Xbox?" I know he'd be down. That might happen once or twice when we're with the women, but they'd get tired of it quick. I think you can understand that.

Now if we were in a party atmosphere or barbecue, whatever, and I ask that same guy that same question, I GUARANTEE his answer would be a weird "no." And that probably goes for one of my best friends back home, too. A time and place you know what I mean?

Now if you take that game that he's played before and probably all of the people my age have played before, and transfer that into a pinball table which only a select few of us play...can you see what I'm saying.

My mind works funked up, so let me know if I need to elaborate this wall of text.

#81 7 years ago

By the way that post was in no way a knock on women pinballers, I know you're out there. I was just profiling. I think justifiably.

#82 7 years ago

Ive found putting the homebrew kegerator next to the pinball machines helps.

we had a big party memorial day, mostly pool party BBQ thing. Machine was going non stop.. But that's with ~20 people over. So with everybody all over the place it was low pressure.. I certainly wasn't anywhere near the machine for most of the day. Not a lot of women taken in by it but dads and kids were into it. But that's a different situation than quiet evening with some couples. Think just depends on the mood.

I also had my uncle and cousin visiting and they were here 3 days. I mentioned "you guys should check it out" (especially since the bonus room was also in use as spare bedroom) several times with no bites. Finally the last night I coaxed them in to check out IJ and then they both were into it asking all kinds of questions, where they could find them back home, where do you buy one, etc.. Think my cousin, 18, hadn't ever played one.

#83 7 years ago

The guy probably heard about the dildo you found in your TZ and was afraid of the sticky flipper buttons

11 months later
    #84 6 years ago

I'm bumping this thread because I'm about to experience "Part Deux". It's our turn to host again, and people are about to arrive. We'll see if it goes better this time. Hopefully, that f***er from last time doesn't show up.

#85 6 years ago

I think if you can get at least one to play, the rest, or at least more, will follow.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

We'll see if it goes better this time

The Oz might get some people interested.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Hopefully, that f***er from last time doesn't show up.

Insult his manhood right away when he walks in the door, great way to break the ice

#88 6 years ago

I had a gathering of non-pinball folks ~ 6 months ago and they had a blast (pic below).

When I sense someone might not "get" the gaming aspect of pinball, I focus on the art and the history...then ease them into actually trying to play.

If they don't get the game, the art, the history, or appreciate the light show, there is no hope!

IMG_7295.jpeg

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'm bumping this thread because I'm about to experience "Part Deux". It's our turn to host again, and people are about to arrive. We'll see if it goes better this time. Hopefully, that f***er from last time doesn't show up.

Just point the way for them and they will go check it out. Try and do this before thy get too relaxed just hanging out. It's going to go better for you this round..

#90 6 years ago

Next time get your wife to suggest how about you guys go down and have a few games of pinball, that way they he can't refuse. Although your neighbour sounds like a bit of a mummy's boy.

#91 6 years ago

I wish I had more friends that suggested playing some pinball.

#92 6 years ago

Update?

#93 6 years ago

I have friends like that. Since they are not on pin
    side I can say they are boring. They think they are happy , but they are not. There marriages are a wreck they just dont know it yet. At the same time I have a bunch of friends , wives,kids and husbands that seem to gather at my pinball room every party. I will tell you that those people seem to be a much happier bunch than the rest. It just goes to show you that we are the normal people out here. The rest can go on there way and drag someone else down with them.

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from TG:

The girls tend to hang together on the main level, taking turns in the massage chair. Everyone's happy!

Ummm, I hate to say it but, I'd probably be "hanging" around the main level myself!

#97 6 years ago

It went much better this time. The adults were all hanging out in the backyard for a while, and then one of the kids came outside and his mom asked, "What have you been doing, sweetheart?" He responded, "Playing pinball." This led to a discussion about my hobby, and I used the opportunity to invite anyone who was interested down into the basement to check out the games. Only a couple people came at first, but then the rest soon followed. The fact that it started pouring rain outside certainly didn't hurt my cause ...

Party_#1.jpg
    Party_#2.jpg
    Party_#3.jpg
    Party_#4.jpg
    Party_#5.jpg

#98 6 years ago

Good to know gweempose!!!

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It went much better this time. The adults were all hanging out in the backyard for a while, and then one of the kids came outside and his mom asked, "What have you been doing, sweetheart?" He responded, "Playing pinball." This led to a discussion about my hobby, and I used the opportunity to invite anyone who was interested down in to the basement to check out the games. Only a couple people came at first, but then the rest soon followed. The fact that it started pouring rain outside certainly didn't hurt my cause ...

Great to hear, how'd the WOZ go over with your non pinball people? Your place is the place to be now and the gods rained down to make sure it happened.

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marten:

I see no problem. Imagine what would happen to pinball prices if they all wanted one.
    Let them go back to stamp collecting.

You hit that nail on the head. Supply and demand...and the supply keeps going down.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 219.99
    $ 199.99
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 1,000.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 209.99
    $ 30.00
    Pinball Machine
    Habos Arcade
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside