Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pinball-is-great
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th (resized).jpg
leeeroy jenkins (resized).png
egg (resized).JPG
cce (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Hello PinSide pinball Collectors,

Would like to share with you on a scam that just recently happened with me. I posted and still need a Jurassic Park Lost World egg front on PinSide. Got a text from a guy stating that he knew of a guy in Oklahoma that had what I was looking for and gave me this email address lewisleeroy@yahoo.com. I emailed Leeroy and he responded with that he did own what I was looking for and was willing to sell it to me for $90 including the shipping. The only catch was payment was to be on a iTune card(s) as he had trouble with PayPal in the past and was no-longer using them. (first red flag!). I guess I was excited that I had found someone that had what I wanted and proceed with his request. Did not think it was a scam as he was very good with his English and appeared to know about what I was purchasing, a pinball part.
After I purchased the cards and sent pictures to him and proceeded that the cards cleared and he was moving forward with shipping the egg out. A day or so later he came back with that he needed an extra $50 for shipping (second red flag) as that insurance was costing more and he was not shipping with out insurance. I came back with put it in a box and ship it out! I then checked shipping and insurance for an item that weighed 1lb+/- was no where going to cost that much to ship out and emailed this information to him along with his original email stating the item purchased included shipping. At this point I was not going to do anything more and was realizing that this was indeed a scam.

I guess in the long run watch out everyone as the scammers are getting better at their English and thought it would not happen to me! Would check out who you are purchasing an item and/or pinball machine from as the scammers are just around the corner and I got scammed!

#2 1 year ago

No offense but...I tunes cards...really??
You continued to deal with him when he said pay in I tunes?
Sorry this happened and dont mean to rub salt...

#3 1 year ago

Seriously? iTunes? Did you even ask for a picture of the part (preferably with a piece of paper that has the date and YOUR name on it).

I swear you should have to read Vid's Guide To Buying/Selling and pass a test to be given a user account on Pinside.

#4 1 year ago

If it's too good to be true....than it probably is!

A crappy lesson, but at least you we're big enough to share it so others could learn.

#5 1 year ago

Thanks for sharing that story.

You might be able to report the card stolen, if it has not been sold and used on Ebay yet.

#6 1 year ago

Can't take paypal, can't do business. Fees suck, but at least you have some recourse.

Thanks for letting everyone know.

#7 1 year ago

MFS: ACDC Premium. Great shape. Haven't stolen pics yet, will post when I do. Asking 50 cartons of Camel Blues, an African Grey parrot, and 100 lbs of cat food.
(Sorry bout yer luck...thanks for spreading the word on this jagweed).

#8 1 year ago

Yes, I know I should have stopped with the proposal of iTune card(s), but.... and also did not follow the Buy/Selling guide as I have read on this before asking for pictures and your name and date before purchasing. My mistake, but wanted to share it with all of you as in the past scammers were easily picked out due to poor English grammar. At least it was only $90 and not a lot more.

#9 1 year ago

Even Apple themselves is warning about those cards...

https://support.apple.com/itunes-gift-card-scams

#10 1 year ago

Wow. Sorry for your loss of funds. Folks you need to do your homework before letting go of cash.

#11 1 year ago

This might be hard to believe...some scammers have excellent grammar and can speak English.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

This might be hard to believe...some scammers have excellent grammar and can speak English.

I was just thinking that. Not every scammer is a Nigerian Prince, some people just suck.

#14 1 year ago

Thanks for the alert. Let's not beat him up for falling for it and appreciate he's coming out to tell others. Obviously was kind of embarrassing so I appreciate him even telling us.

#15 1 year ago

Sorry you got scammed but I just cant believe people are still falling for this shit, no way am i buying i tune cards to buy anything, i thing a mod needs to put Vids how not to get scammed up at the top for a while.

#16 1 year ago

I'm always suspicious of anyone who says "my friend has one". I'm also suspicious of anyone who puts two "E"s in Leroy (unless it's Leeroy Jenkins). Itunes would be beyond a red flag in my book.

#17 1 year ago

1) Be wary of random texts. Scammers have been texting a lot of people who list their numbers in ads here.

2) Be wary of someone contacting you and suggesting you contact [first name] in [state] at [free email account, usually Gmail]

#19 1 year ago

Sorry to hear but any giftcard of any kind is a big red flag. But sorry this gets the face palm meme

cce (resized).png

#20 1 year ago

On the positive at least it will make sure you never get scammed on a larger purchase.

I tend to be trusting as well and actually wired a guy a lot of money for 911 targa 4s with 11k miles sight unseen with just a few pics.

The only thing that gave me the confidence to do it was he was listed several places online as an engineer and I spoke with a teller at his bank who verified he was a customer.

I was super nervous hitting send on that money and arranged for a transpOrt form Wisconsin to NY Since I didn't feel like driving.

#21 1 year ago

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully it will help a few others.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Hello PinSide pinball Collectors,
Would like to share with you on a scam that just recently happened with me. I posted and still need a Jurassic Park Lost World egg front on PinSide. Got a text from a guy stating that he knew of a guy in Oklahoma that had what I was looking for and gave me this email address lewisleeroy@yahoo.com. I emailed Leeroy and he responded with that he did own what I was looking for and was willing to sell it to me for $90 including the shipping. The only catch was payment was to be on a iTune card(s) as he had trouble with PayPal in the past and was no-longer using them. (first red flag!). I guess I was excited that I had found someone that had what I wanted and proceed with his request. Did not think it was a scam as he was very good with his English and appeared to know about what I was purchasing, a pinball part.
After I purchased the cards and sent pictures to him and proceeded that the cards cleared and he was moving forward with shipping the egg out. A day or so later he came back with that he needed an extra $50 for shipping (second red flag) as that insurance was costing more and he was not shipping with out insurance. I came back with put it in a box and ship it out! I then checked shipping and insurance for an item that weighed 1lb+/- was no where going to cost that much to ship out and emailed this information to him along with his original email stating the item purchased included shipping. At this point I was not going to do anything more and was realizing that this was indeed a scam.
I guess in the long run watch out everyone as the scammers are getting better at their English and thought it would not happen to me! Would check out who you are purchasing an item and/or pinball machine from as the scammers are just around the corner and I got scammed!

Sorry you got scammed.
How about this one?

http://www.flipperwinkel.nl/winkel/contents/nl/d277.html

egg (resized).JPG

#23 1 year ago

Pretty sure this expired ad from about 1-1/2 to 2 yrs ago for a Lost World backglass was posted here on Pinside by a scammer.
I see that the ad got re-listed twice.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-bally-lost-world-backglass-for-sale

At the time asoccer7 was a new account here on Pinside with only 1 forum post (and none since), so I knew to proceed cautiously.
He contacted me first by sending me a PM asking if I still needed a backglass (because I was looking for one).

The back and forth msgs & emails were going fine until I asked for a current picture of the back-side of the bg.
Don't recall if I asked him to be in the pic holding the bg or with a handwritten note by the bg showing current date, or something like that. Communication stopped after that. Never could get him to answer the phone to the number he gave me.

So, I was bummed that I wasn't going to be getting a backglass, but happy that at least I didn't lose any money.
May or may not have been a scam, and I never did a search online to see if I could find those same backglass pics elsewhere.

Several months later I sent ForceFlow a PM telling him about this and asking to at least keep an eye on asoccer7.
He let the other moderators know about this and replied to me. The account is in an "inactive member" status, and probably has been for about a year or so.

Welp, that's my little story to share. Sorry to hear that the OP got scammed, but thank you for sharing your story. Glad it was not a huge amount of money.

#24 1 year ago

Leeeeeeeeeeeroyyyy Jeeeeennnnnnnnnnkins!!!!!!!!!!!

leeeroy jenkins (resized).png

#25 1 year ago

Probably 5 years since I last watched this. Definitely made me lol again.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

» YouTube video

LOL!!! Leroy!

Sorry for your loss mikespinball, at least it was a cheap lesson. When those unobtanium parts come along it's hard to resist the urge.

#27 1 year ago

yeah, Leeroy Jenkins is the only time i've ever seen that name spelled that way other than in this thread. i mean just google "Leeroy" and all the results are related to that video.

His English may have been good, but his choice of first name should have tipped you off immediately.

#28 1 year ago

I appreciate the story, I am sorry about the scam.

I got a little excited then realized. Sadly. Scammers are everywhere. Bastards.

Anyways I had a different story. One time a few years ago I needed flippers for a time warp I was going to restore.

A guy on pinside saw my post and sent me the replacement flippers he had. Free. New ones and they are special like bananas. After I asked I had the flippers in like two days.

Beware of scammers. Nice people, are in abundance here too...

#29 1 year ago

Well I am sorry you got scammed-at least it was just $90 and not thousands of dollars. Honestly it is kinda pathetic that the scammer is so hard up on cash that he needs to scam someone for $90? Go get a fuckin job! How much time did this guy spend trying to scam $90? Pathetic

#30 1 year ago

There's been a lot of posts about people getting taken by scammers recently. It makes you think these people communicate and that Pinside is a known target with people vulnerable to scamming. Can't we make Vid's Guide to Buying/Selling a sticky so it's easier for everyone to see? Let's not give these a-holes another cent.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Can't we make Vid's Guide to Buying/Selling a sticky so it's easier for everyone to see?

People won't read or heed the warnings. Similar warnings are on nearly every site and easily found with any research at all, yet scammers still profit.
All you can do is make the info available.

Maybe we could consolidate it in a sub-forum or give all scam stories a specific tag so search engines would pick them up better?

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr_Smith:

I'm always suspicious of anyone who says "my friend has one". I'm also suspicious of anyone who puts two "E"s in Leroy (unless it's Leeroy Jenkins). Itunes would be beyond a red flag in my book.

Oklahoma is far enough south that Lewisleeroy could actually be Lewis Lee Roy. Sort of like: "Billy Bob, get yer ass over here!" Or "Lewis Lee, you wanna get yer ass kicked?"

#33 1 year ago

Sorry you were scammed, but thank you for sharing.

#34 1 year ago

The deal would have been over once I learned he was "Leeroy in Oklahoma."

#35 1 year ago

Really sorry to hear you got scammed due to a wanted ad on Pinside. I try very hard to avoid this sorta thing from happening

Just so you know, I'm taking some extra action to avoid this from happening. Not disclosing what I'm doing, but just so you all know I take this stuff very seriously. Yes, I also contemplated sticky'ing Vids great guide, but don't want to hand scammers a "how not to be detected scamming people" on a silver platter.

Let me just stress this: be very careful when transacting online. Always use Paypal (and not the friends/family option) or your credit card (if it has good protection insurance) or a similar option, if you're doing business with someone you don't know.

Ugh, scammers suck.

#36 1 year ago

I just packed up a replacement egg for him, it's in the mail tomorrow and should be there by Friday. I didn't get as much as I was planning for it but his story has a happy ending. Hopefully he will post a photo of the machine when the egg is installed.

-Matt

#37 1 year ago

That's awesome. Good people on Pinside.

#38 1 year ago

I traded a pin for some Pinside gift cards, been spending hours figuring out how to redeem them.

#39 1 year ago

Anybody know where these crooks reside? Is it the US?

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

Anybody know where these crooks reside? Is it the US?

Could be literally anywhere. It takes some clever detective work to track them down.

#41 1 year ago

I ordered one of those eggs too and then this showed up! Boy do I feel taken advantage of.

th (resized).jpg

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I ordered one of those eggs too and then this showed up! Boy do I feel taken advantage of.

I got the same email about an ACDC machine. The seller then started texting me photos. It looked somewhat legit, but discussions broke down when he wanted $ upfront for shipping. I told him I would do the entire deal COD. I also told him I was going to have a local buddy come inspect the machine....never heard from him again....

#43 1 year ago

I was contacted by this same person and reported the account that reached out to me to Pinside. The Scammer wanted a Walmart payment and tried really hard to get me to go to a Walmart (there are none within many miles). Eye roll. But yeah, spelled the name wrong twice, and used an entirely different name another time -- all the red flags. Here's the thing: this scammer knows pinball. Had alllll this info to regurgitate about the Whitestar board he was pretending to own, and it all checked out. This person knows pinball, and is likely a Pinside lurker. Inside job. Frankly disappointed Pinside never responded to me or took action, and now: Same person scammed others.

Here's what I reported:

Hello, user mattwiz reached out to me about a Wanted ad I posted:

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/mattwiz

He referred me to a person via email, and that person sent me an offer, but
it seemed suspicious. They wanted a Walmart payment (whatever that is!),
had a really low price, and signed their name as both "Chris" and "Leeroy."
I checked to see the original poster's activity and it was straight zeros
for everything. I think mattwiz is a scammer.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Frankly disappointed Pinside never responded to me or took action, and now: Same person scammed others.

We don't generally respond to reported PMs or posts unless we need more information. That's generally how it works on most forums. There isn't a mechanism in place to reply unless you open a moderator feedback thread.

That account you pointed out was banned a long time ago--we did act on it.

If anyone encounters something suspicious, report it--we always investigate it. We don't like scammers any more than you do.

Robin does what he can to put safeguards in place, but like anything, it's not foolproof. You still have to use your own common sense as a line of defense.

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I got the same email about an ACDC machine. The seller then started texting me photos. It looked somewhat legit, but discussions broke down when he wanted $ upfront for shipping. I told him I would do the entire deal COD. I also told him I was going to have a local buddy come inspect the machine....never heard from him again....

But this egg is stamped farberware or something like that on the bottom of it. What am I supposed to do, figure out some way to cook with it?

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

We don't generally respond to reported PMs or posts unless we need more information. That's generally how it works on most forums. There isn't a mechanism in place to reply unless you open a moderator feedback thread.
That account you pointed out was banned a long time ago--we did act on it.
If anyone encounters something suspicious, report it--we always investigate it. We don't like scammers any more than you do.
Robin does what he can to put safeguards in place, but like anything, it's not foolproof. You still have to use your own common sense as a line of defense.

Ah, makes sense! Thanks!

#47 1 year ago

Leeroy Brown? He's bad
Edit: whoops, too late

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Man, thank you so much for posting this.....So flipping funny

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

» YouTube video

I dont even play those games and found that hilarious...

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I dont even play those games and found that hilarious...

I don't play 'em either. I enjoyed watching it even more the 2nd time.

Signed,

Still Snickering

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 209.99
$ 50.00
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside