IMG_1490 (resized).jpg
IMG_1491 (resized).jpg
IMG_1492 (resized).jpg
IMG_1494 (resized).jpg
IMG_1500 (resized).jpg
IMG_1827 (resized).jpg
IMG_1829 (resized).jpg
IMG_1502 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

When I go to a bank and deposit a stack of bills, the bank counts them out right in front of me. When the bank gives me bills I watch the teller count them out and then I recount them in front of the teller. It is all good.
Walmart will count your bills (both ways) right in front of you. So will McDonalds.
People makes mistakes. Bills can get stuck together.
I know you will count them as soon as I leave---so just count them out while I am still here; No need to be coy about it. That way, if I did make the embarrassing mistake of handing you 19 one hundred dollar bills instead of 20 bills I can reach in my pocket and resolve the issue right there instead of you calling me a few hours later telling me I shorted you/cheated you and I now have to somehow correct the problem.
I hand you money I expect you to count it out right in front of me. Be assured, if you hand me a stack of bills I will count them out right in front of you. No offense intended. It is just good business.

agreed. I expect them to count it right then and there. Because it could go the other way, where they said they didn't get it all later trying to pull one over as well. Nothing wrong with counting the funds in front of each other. Good for both parties.

when I bought my first machine 13 years ago. The first TZ I was after turned out to be a scam. I knew nothing about nigerian scams as they were relatively new at the time. The guy insisted that he send me a ebay auction BIN second chance offer to close the deal to prove he was legit. Which actually was my tip off. Since I delt with ebay for 10 years before that, he had a sentence the offer that said something on the lines, that said. Payment must be western union money order. Do not tell western union that is for an ebay purchase, or they will not complete the transaction. But they made it look like it was ebays rules on the second chance page. I already knew ebay would not tell you to falsely send a payment. Plus the second chance offer was a site that looked like ebay, but had a slight variation in the website. Forwarded that message to ebay to confirm it wasn't them. Did some research on nigerian scams and was thankful I dodged a bullet. took me 6 months to save up to buy a TZ. Found one close to my house and could pickup in person. Learned how a machine breaks down and easy to move right there as well. Learned how to take the glass off, lift the field, what things to look for. I can't stress enough how important it is to buy games in person, or from people that are well known in the community.

Ever since then. I get scam email or phone calls about twice a week over the past 13 years. I enjoy wasting their time and resources as much as I can. Nothing is more satisfying than having them fedex over a payment overnight because they think you will sell the game to someone else, when they think they have you on the hook to fork over overpayment. Costs them a fortune to fedex an overnight payment. Then you tell them you didn't get it and have them send another. It's hilarious how pissed they get. Or when they give you instructions on how the deal is going to go down, and you keep repeating it back to them completely wrong. Many times i'm extremely entertained with screwing with them. I am collecting many fake m.o., cashier checks and everything else to make a nice framed mural dedicated to their stupidity.

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

419 scams have been around in some form as long as people have been able to get messages to one another. Before internet they used faxes. Before faxes they used Who's Who info and postal mail. The first scammer probably used smoke signals.
OP isn't the first or last to get scammed. Be careful everyone.

how would the smoke signal scam go? You send horses NW. Once we receive said horses, we will send one of the horses back with a cart of blankets. Keep the cart as a token of good will.

#165 6 years ago

that's when you ask, where are you and where is the game located? Once he responds. No matter where it is, you say, that's where you are and arrange a time to meet to come look and pick it up.

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Those are always funny.
Vid: Great, when can I come get the game?
Scammer: I'll ship it right to you, at my expense. Guaranteed!
V: The game says it's in Cincinnati, right? I can be there about 6pm.
S: No, that game is at my OTHER house, in Texas.
V: What part of Texas?
S: (pause) Austin, Texas.
V: Excellent! I have to be in Austin for work tomorrow. I'll come get it!
S: No need, I already packed it up, ready for shipping.
V: I'll bring my work truck and forklift.
S: Ummmm......You know what, now that I think about it, it's in my brother's house in Miami Florida. Sorry, I have a few ads posted and I made a mistake.
V: No problem, we all make mistakes. I'll have my son come get it tonight, he is a bouncer at a gay club in Miami called The Manhole.
S: Ahhhhhgggg....this is going to sound dumb, but I see THAT game is at my storage unit in Chicago. Let me just ship it to you, at my expense.
V: Chicago is no problem. In fact, I made a mistake, i just checked, and I'm in Chicago RIGHT NOW!

yup, i've had nearly that exact same conversation at least 10 times before. Except the name of the club changes with each phone call.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I used a macro lens so it looked huge

should have used a fisheye lens, and then it would have looked like a doughnut.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 21.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-got-scammed-for-27k-beware?tu=captainneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.