Topic Stats

• 211 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 40 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_0037 (resized).PNG
IMG_20170921_121205.jpg
IMG_3431 (resized).PNG
Danny Barnes (resized).jpeg
IMG_1496 (resized).jpg
IMG_1497 (resized).jpg
IMG_1490 (resized).jpg
IMG_1491 (resized).jpg
IMG_1492 (resized).jpg
IMG_1494 (resized).jpg
IMG_1500 (resized).jpg
IMG_1827 (resized).jpg
IMG_1829 (resized).jpg
IMG_1502 (resized).jpg

There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Vid: Great, when can I come get the game?
Scammer: I'll ship it right to you, at my expense. Guaranteed!
V: The game says it's in Cincinnati, right? I can be there about 6pm.
S: No, that game is at my OTHER house, in Texas.
V: What part of Texas?
S: (pause) Austin, Texas.
V: Excellent! I have to be in Austin for work tomorrow. I'll come get it!
S: No need, I already packed it up, ready for shipping.

I did the same thing to a guy selling a 10 thousand dollar golf cart for 1 grand on ebay.

#202 1 year ago

Over the years I have bought/sold items on various sites (E-Bay, Craigslist, Pinside, Car/Truck/Tractor Forums, etc.) and all I can say is the scammers are getting more and more sophisticated. They have come a long way from the Nigerian lottery winners that need to send you their money for safekeeping/redemption. Anymore any craigslist ad I post is soon followed by texts asking if "the item -- (usually cut/pasted)" is still for sale. The dumb*sses even send these texts to my WANTED ads, asking if they are still for sale. Sometimes for fun I call the number that sent the text but no one ever answers. . . usually a short time later I get another text that says "Please text me back, missed your call." Just one reason why I still use a flip phone and do not text.

Recently on E-bay a seller accepted my best offer on a vehicle he had listed. We communicated/talked over the phone and the seller sounded like he knew what he was selling. He had a positive feedback score, was willing to send numerous vehicle pictures of whatever I was interested in, etc. In the end he was very persistent that I wire him the money. I flat out told him I do not do that for the very reasons discussed here. . . once that money is sent it is gone. He was two states away so I told him Id be happy to show up with cash in hand for the purchase. After some back and forth he eventually sent me an address to arrive at (it fit with the area code of his phone number/E-bay listing). I did some looking using the internet/satellite imagery and the neighborhood looked a little questionable and very unlikely that a vehicle of this type would be stored there. Finally I called the seller one more time and asked him to take/send a picture of my name written on a piece of paper along with the title in his name, both laying on the vehicle's hood. I "had" the truck/trailer ready to go and Id be on my way once I saw the picture (never had any intention of driving there at this point but wanted to see how far I could take this) I'm sure that picture could be photo shopped but probably not in the time frame we were working with. He blew up over this suggestion, said he was tired of me questioning his integrity, etc. etc. and hung up.

Ive dealt with all kinds of scammers, but this was at a completely different level with the phone communication. Usually I can tell when a guy is legit by talking to them on the phone. . . this one had me going for a little while. Id hate to think what Id be walking into with the cash in hand if I had made the trip . . . I always have my buddies Smith and Wesson with me but anymore if I was forced to introduce them Id end up being the bad guy and not the scammer.

Thanks to soulrider911 for telling the story. I applaud your sense of self responsibility and humility.

Be safe, be smart, pay cash at time of pickup when possible, travel with a buddy or enlist the inspection services of a friend on pinside. If something sounds too good to be true, it is plain and simple unless you are witnessing the situation with your own eyeballs.

Do not let the scum of the earth pull you down to their level -- I believe what goes around comes around and hopefully "Danny's" number will be up soon.

#203 1 year ago

Sorry OP. Ten years ago I got scammed for $50k+ (Financial invetment, not pins). You just got a $2,700 PhD in not ever getting scammed again. I chose the costlier school.

Anyway, I really wish financial scammers were treated like the vermin that they are. They really cause a lot of damage. If I were king, I'd pass a law for an annual purge of these people via drowning. I would do it in style too. In true scammer fashion, I'd tell them they won a free Alaskan cruise, load them on the boat, and then sink it somewhere in the arctic ocean once a year.

Yeah...I guess you could say I'm still a little bitter. This thread got my blood boiling again. Ugh.

#204 1 year ago

I at least hope you called your bank to report this fraud

It's simply not so easy to open an account with fake id. Now when I say that let me put this in as well before someone jumps in.

Yes you can open account
But there are layers of customer identification systems in place so this kind of thing can not happen.

AND

If it is a relatively new account the bank should recognize a new account getting wires as suspicious

Yes it's possible to fool all these layers but not easily. I would at least file a dispute so the bank itself can send an investigator to the case and even get the police involved

#205 1 year ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

People do use their passports for identification more readily today based on requirements for work and other reasons than the past.

Not Americans, like he pointed out.

#206 1 year ago

rollinover yes I reported to my bank (Bofa) his bank (chase) and th FBI

#207 1 year ago

Born in Poland eh? Barnes sounds like a nice Polish name.

#208 1 year ago

Perhaps shortened from Barneski . . .

I happen to be of Polish descent and my name sounds anything but Polish. . .

#209 1 year ago
Quoted from Pablito:

Sorry OP. Ten years ago I got scammed for $50k+ (Financial invetment, not pins). You just got a $2,700 PhD in not ever getting scammed again. I chose the costlier school.

I've had the exact same thoughts about the $6500 I lost to Jpop. It was my life lesson that will hopefully save me a lot of money on a bad business deal down the road. I know others that lost $50k on bad deals before they learned their lesson so my lesson was cheap .

#210 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

I've had the exact same thoughts about the $6500 I lost to Jpop. It was my life lesson that will hopefully save me a lot of money on a bad business deal down the road. I know others that lost $50k on bad deals before they learned their lesson so my lesson was cheap .

I think I lost $5 or $10 in a currency conversion scam in Cambodia once, considering how many scams there are in SE Asia, I got off pretty lightly.

#211 1 year ago
Quoted from roffels:

considering how many scams there are in SE Asia, I got off pretty lightly.

If you've still got both your kidneys, you did fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 259.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 222.00
Cabinet - Decals
Buthamburg
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
2,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Sale Pending!
North Aurora, IL
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 279.95
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside