IMG_1490 (resized).jpg
IMG_1491 (resized).jpg
IMG_1492 (resized).jpg
IMG_1494 (resized).jpg
IMG_1500 (resized).jpg
IMG_1827 (resized).jpg
IMG_1829 (resized).jpg
IMG_1502 (resized).jpg
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 6 years ago

Kinda my point, my money is still sitting in the drawer that I just gave them, give me money back.

#52 6 years ago

I'm never going to part with money unless I am able to my hands on the goods and take home. Sorry, there are A holes like this out there. It's sad, he only has to do a few of these a month to make a good living. You know he isn't reporting his income, so it's tax free as well.

#53 6 years ago

Just created a new email account and emailed the now infamous Danny Barnes, as he now has the machine listed on Mr. Pinball... the dude is still claiming he has it is selling, don't get sucked in like I did. This guy is relentless.

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 3.59.27 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-09-15 at 3.59.27 PM (resized).png

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Just created a new email account and emailed the now infamous Danny Barnes, as he now has the machine listed on Mr. Pinball... the dude is still claiming he has it is selling, don't get sucked in like I did. This guy is relentless.

Pull a Hoax Hotel on him.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnNlJNSRxa3PF8XrKHOEPug

#55 6 years ago

Call the cops, see if they will set something up.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

What the hell does Equifax have to do with this? There probably wasn't even any identity theft here, it's not really needed to get accounts set up, you can make most of it up.
People have been running bank wire fraud ever since wires were created. They should never be used between people who don't know and trust each other.

i cannot believe a phone call to Chase Bank, which the money went to, can't help figure out where the money went to and to who.. especially if it as a fraudulent activity. I would suggest call Chase, tell them what happened, and open up an investigation

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

This is a great idea

#59 6 years ago

Very sad to hear something like this and it's great you are sharing this to help others. Most people would be to embarrassed to warn others. Good for you and it could happen to anyone. The fever of getting a game will make you over look a lot sometimes.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

i cannot believe a phone call to Chase Bank, which the money went to, can't help figure out where the money went to and to who.. especially if it as a fraudulent activity. I would suggest call Chase, tell them what happened, and open up an investigation

Really? are they are going to answer some random call and provide that info? Nope, you need to start an investigation with the bank and police to get that going. Then they tell you what account they wired it to and the cycle goes on for a while until it goes offshore then it ends.

Yes they should pursue it with the police, but it is unlikely going to find the money. Hopefully they can use some of the info to catch the guy down the road.

That's why crooks use bank wires.

#61 6 years ago

It is really good that you posted this OP. I guarantee that this thread will save someone on Pinside from getting scammed in the future. Should be required reading for anyone joining this site. Thank you for posting.

#62 6 years ago

I did the same. Yep it's for sale. AND been handled with care.

IMG_3430 (resized).PNGIMG_3430 (resized).PNG

#63 6 years ago

This is terrible.

Everyone that thinks the OP can just go knock on a door and have a word with the seller is mos likely wrong.

There is probably a very high chance they aren't even in the country.

#64 6 years ago

For future reference, the real tell is the actual game ready to ship. It doesn't appear to be a WPC game at all. Hell, I'm not sure what it is. Take a look at the head.

Anyway, sorry for your loss and I hope some restitution is in your future.

Thanks for the heads up

#65 6 years ago

Soulrider911 thanks for speaking up and letting us know about this douche (who is still actively douching!).

I bet it was hard to speak up as some people would want to just crawl in a hole and die after experiencing this. Took courage.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Cops don't do stuff like that.

They have kids to bust for smoking pot, or selling sex toys in Texas.

They don't have time to set up a sting for a guy that lives outside of the USA.

#67 6 years ago

Easy lessons are lessons not well learned.... Sux, but im sure you will be more carful going forward

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Cops don't do stuff like that.
They have people to bust for smoking pot, or selling sex toys in Texas.
They don't have time to set up a sting for a guy that lives outside of the USA.

leads (resized).jpgleads (resized).jpg

"leads. ahahaha"

#69 6 years ago

If thats the case you should alert Mr Pinball ASAP

#70 6 years ago

Oh that just sux! Sorry man I hate to hear stuff like this. I will say the shipping pallet looks a little to good to be true. Not many would go to this far to strap it down. And one of the photographs it almost looks like the side art it's kind of shining through which would not match that game. Anyway, sorry buddy but thanks for the heads-up.

#71 6 years ago

Interestingly, he entered the name "Danny" as his last name (or surname) and the name "Barnes" as his first name (or given name).

If you look at the bottom of the passport, there are two lines of characters, which are used for automatic passport reader machines. There are never spaces used. Whoever owned this passport has an eight character name, but it was reduced to "Barnes" and there is a space before the B and after the S. Any spaces on a real passport are represented by the character "<"

And, I agree with some other posts that the font used for the name does not match the rest of the passport.

passport (resized).jpgpassport (resized).jpg

#72 6 years ago

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I'm new to pinside and I'm afraid to buy things from someone across the country I've never met. I try to buy local, but for a rare game you have to search

#73 6 years ago

Thanks for alerting on a scammer, so sorry for your loss!

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I'm new to pinside and I'm afraid to buy things from someone across the country I've never met. I try to buy local, but for a rare game you have to search

This is why Pinside works so well in tandem with pinball shows. I've met SO many Pinsiders at different pinball shows that when I'm looking for a machine, I have the option to either buy from somebody I've met, or from somebody that somebody I've met can vouch for. Meeting other pinheads, networking and getting to know people...that's what gives you an "in" to building a killer collection with confidence that you won't get ripped off.

#75 6 years ago

also, his initials aren't on the leader board of "his" own machine. so, he just completely sucks.

#76 6 years ago

This is hilarious this idiot sent me the same photos, and them photos of a totally different machine... so I call him.. I ask, "whats your favorite mod looks like your T2 has some nice additions"... silence.... replies: "whats yours"... I then say, "no tell me what you like best, it's your game"... he replies "hello, are you there, can you hear me" hahaha OMG it's so sad yet so entertaining. And mind you his voice is the same this is the same guy that scammed me, I wanted to reach through the phone and smack him.

Look at the photos these are two different machines.

If anyone wants some entertainment to give him a ring: 281 853 9397

IMG_1826 (resized).jpgIMG_1826 (resized).jpg
IMG_1830 (resized).jpgIMG_1830 (resized).jpg
IMG_1828 (resized).jpgIMG_1828 (resized).jpg
IMG_1502 (resized).jpgIMG_1502 (resized).jpg
IMG_1829 (resized).jpgIMG_1829 (resized).jpg
IMG_1827 (resized).jpgIMG_1827 (resized).jpg
IMG_1500 (resized).jpgIMG_1500 (resized).jpg
IMG_1494 (resized).jpgIMG_1494 (resized).jpg
IMG_1492 (resized).jpgIMG_1492 (resized).jpg

IMG_1491 (resized).jpgIMG_1491 (resized).jpg
IMG_1490 (resized).jpgIMG_1490 (resized).jpg

IMG_1497 (resized).jpgIMG_1497 (resized).jpg

IMG_1496 (resized).jpgIMG_1496 (resized).jpg

#77 6 years ago

So the thing is that Mr Pinball is just teaming with scammers. I have posted wanted ads for parts and every single damn time I get some scammer from somewhere claiming they have the part. Ask for photos and inevitably the photos are from the internet easily found by a google search. It would be nice if google actually scanned emails for images already on the web and posted a warning about that. Would save all of us alot of time. I would not be surprised if Danny Barnes is the new alias for one of the well know blacklisted names on Mr Pinball. They will take down ads if reported, but its like swatting flies. Kill one and another 10 keep buzzing around you. Its too bad you cant trace that number to an actual locale and get the guy arrested. Though as others have said may not even be in the US

#78 6 years ago

Googled that phone # looks like he was trying to sell a Tron in TX also.

#79 6 years ago

BTW that number is a VOIP number (Skype, google voice, etc). Not tied to a real location probably.

#80 6 years ago

step 1) notice red flag
step 2) notice red flag
step 3) notice red flag
step 4) send payment

what?!?! sorry, but that's totally on you.

#81 6 years ago

THIS is hilarious. Look what the reverse lookup says. Umm nope !

Danny Barnes (resized).jpegDanny Barnes (resized).jpeg

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

step 1) notice red flag
step 2) notice red flag
step 3) notice red flag
step 4) send payment
what?!?! sorry, but that's totally on you.

Jesus give the guy a break. We've all done stupid things that in hindsight were clearly stupid. He's trying to help us all out, not claiming that this was totally and completely unexpected. I think the problem is that people feel if its on pinside or they are contacted by pinsider its all good. Its not all good. Scams happen on pinside all the time and I have in the last month helped identify multiple instances of fraudulent marketplace listings.

Hell I've even tried to take things down on ebay where they were using images FROM PINSIDE no less. Even contact Ebay directly and their response was that they encourage people to post images from the internet when listing product. Yes ... that was their actual response. They wanted me to prove it was fraud, not the other way around.

We all live in a world where people are trying to scam us all the time and we will all at some point fall victim to it and realize there was some step here or there that could have prevented it. If this just raises all our warning flags up a little its all good by me

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

For anyone who hasn't seen this before, this is required reading, especially if you aren't picking up a game in person:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide/

The one I am really looking forward to reading is "Vid's Guide to Getting Even with Scammers [or anyone else who deserves it]"

Per the Kuleks' insistence that Pinside is an "adult website," there's no reason for vid1900 to pull any punches describing the proper technique.

#84 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing Op. Sorry it happened. It's not easy admitting you were taken advantage of but in doing so you may possibly save others in the future.

#85 6 years ago

He's sending me the exact same ones. He is sure getting a lot of miles with those pictures.

IMG_3431 (resized).PNGIMG_3431 (resized).PNG

#86 6 years ago

Oops - didn't read enough about how guy contacted you.

#87 6 years ago

Besides all the issues on the passport photo, seeing Poland as the birthplace should have stopped you right there.

#88 6 years ago

Wow, this story really pisses me off. I'm so sorry that you got scammed. Ugh.

I tried buying with paypal here from people, and everyone said they didn't want to. I am starting to see why. I guess you can never be too careful.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

He's sending me the exact same ones. He is sure getting a lot of miles with those pictures.

Holy cow!!!! WHAT A DICK HEAD! Is there some way you can scam him back, or are you gonna blow the whistle on this turd right away?

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Oops - didn't read enough about how guy contacted you.

The end.
Hope you find some recourse. You almost make me forgive my ex tenants that owe me a g. Nope.

#91 6 years ago

This guy is a pro, and I am aware of another guy who used to be here on pinside but got kicked off for being a troll with several names. he could get away with multiple ipo address because he was a pilot and in hotels all of the time. Anyway. what I am saying is these guys go to way more work than just getting a job. they get off on it and they are sociopaths .

Thank you for posting, even though it is humilating. Thank you for showing the pics of the shipping, and other key ingredients. This will stop someone else from getting burned I bet.
I have been collecting since 1984 but in the last leke 14 years I have been burned so good many times. back when the depression was goin on people were using neighborhood forclosed houses as addresses. anyway Thanks again

It dosent matter now, but I cant blow up the pics but the pics of the wrapped game has art work on the head that dosent look like t2?

#92 6 years ago

"But I trust people on Pinside."

Yep, thats how i stupidly lost $5k on Predator. TRUST NO ONE.

#93 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing OP. I've had my share of being burned via an out of town transaction as well, albeit in a different way. It sucks, and actually made me not want to look at my games for about 6 months, because I was so discouraged with the hobby after my incident. In any case, keep your head up. You'll get past this.

#94 6 years ago

Just my 2 cents...and I skimped reading the total thread. I guess you have to FaceTime...real time with the person with verifiable ID and landmarks, and then the transaction. This is so sad amongst pinside people that should be able to trust each other. I guess, don't take offense to someone taking extra care, asking extra questions if you're selling something not in person.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

It dosent matter now, but I cant blow up the pics but the pics of the wrapped game has art work on the head that dosent look like t2?

Earlier in the thread in the page I linked to where the images were stolen from, it was a Gottlieb Volcano.

#96 6 years ago

One thing I will never understand is why people even send pictures of suposed ID's or passports. Like they mean anything at all. Only certain way to confirm the condition of a game and not get taken from a complete stranger is to pick it up in person.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Holy cow!!!! WHAT A DICK HEAD! Is there some way you can scam him back, or are you gonna blow the whistle on this turd right away?

Of course he's a dickhead. But he most likely resides in Poland, so there is nothing that can be done other than to waste his time stringing him along with other questions and emails.

#98 6 years ago

Here is the cray thing, he's. Or polish at all, that's what I was saying in my o itial post, that passport is totally forged / fictitious, I talked to him on the phone... I actually recorded it... and he is Hispanic...

#99 6 years ago

The sad part is, no one cares, nothing will ever be done. When I say no one cares, I mean the police, FBI, banks, or whatever. The only way they can be made to pay for their criminality is via the efforts of people like the 419eaters. They do awesome work but note that you should not try to scam the scammers with any of your real personal info. The 419eaters use burner cell phones, fake identities, fake documents etc to lay down smack on scammers. Some of their work is unbelievable in how much pain they put the scammers through.

#100 6 years ago

xsvtoys ur absolutely right and that is the sad part, nothing will be done

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.50
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.95
$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-got-scammed-for-27k-beware/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.