(Topic ID: 262569)

I got into Pinburgh! What should I know?

By SKWilson

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7597 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9540 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SKWilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Just for funsies, I decided to try to buy a Pinburgh ticket. I screwed up my first chance because I wasn't prepared for all the different events listed. Oops. But, after seeing a FB post about continuing to refresh, I tried again and again and..., and got lucky.

I have never participated in a tournament (will now hit up the local tournaments). So I want to know what I should know about competing (if you can call what I do competing!) in Pinburgh.

Share with me (and our fellow tournament noobs):
    1. Overall tips/tricks/hacks
    2. Tips for playing games you've never played before
    3. How the tournament works (Yes, I will re-read the rules.)
    4. Anything about your past experiences that others should know

On a personal note, I am somewhat an introvert, so the fact I'm doing this is actually kinda scary.

Thanks in advance!

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

If you know what machines you will play, you can get tips on how to play them on https://pintips.net/
    You likely have little chance of making good on your 1st tournament, so go into it with the idea that you just want to have fun and meet people that have probably been playing pinball longer than you have been alive.

Believe me, I am going in with no expectations. LOL

#11 4 years ago

@ryanwanger These are the types of tips I am looking for! Thank you!

Quoted from ryanwanger:

I highly recommend watching at least some of the A Division finals on Saturday. It's the only place in the world you get the chance to sit in a crowd of 500 people to watch pinball. Even if you don't think you'd enjoy it, at least stop by for a few minutes to experience it.

I was planning on it. (Always watch the stream.) But what makes you think I won't be IN the A finals?

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

As soon as it came up and i went to book tickets it was sold. Literally 5 secs max. Must be our shit internet in Australia. If it said sold out, could I have refreshed it again with the option of getting a ticket? Mehh did it twice and no luck. Not sure if I was doing anything wrong.

When the tickets went on sale, refreshed the page, saw the tickets available, selected 1 and then started looking at everything else in the list. When I clicked buy (or whatever), it changed to sold out. I may have refreshed a couple more times with no luck. Then I saw a post on FB about continuing to refresh. I took my phone and my dog outside, and pulled up the site. I hit refresh a couple times and voila! This was 18 minutes after the tickets went on sale. I guess the key is to not give up.

#23 4 years ago

tmontana Excellent list!

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Practicing a Death Save will earn you real brownie points.

I'll get right on that!

Should I practice bang backs and rage tilting, too?

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from hayrebear:

Lol...I often wondered how anyone could ever make this mistake...until I did it...at Pinburgh.

Ouch.

#43 4 years ago

How's the restroom situation?

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Don't drive on the Ohio turnpike, through construction zones, and UNKNOWINGLY pick several screws with your tires. Get to Pittsburgh when your low tire light comes on. Then go out to check on your car on Friday and see it has a flat tire. Get eliminated early so you can spend ALL DAY Saturday looking for a tire store that's open that has 255/35/19 tires in stock so you can go back home. (One screw was through the sidewall so it couldn't be plugged)
    Other than that, I have no pointers.

Good thing I'm flying in.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Basically an oasis, shangri-la if you will. You'll enjoy just hanging out there during your down time.

I usually only hang out in restrooms at gay bars. (And I see there are some near the convention center.)

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

5. Wear comfortable shoes.

I just had a revelation about this. I tend to play differently when wearing shoes. I rarely wear shoes at home (I hate shoes), so adding an inch (or whatever) in height actually changes my perspective on the playfield. I guess I need to practice in shoes.

Is there anything against playing in your sock feet?

#51 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sitting around in socks all day, gross.

At least I didn't say barefoot. Although that may be one way to guarantee some wins.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SKWilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-got-into-pinburgh-what-should-i-know?tu=SKWilson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.