glory-hole-donuts 1 (resized).jpg
wood (resized).jpg
First World Problem (resized).jpg
the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif
ge (resized).jpg
bye2.gif
image0 (resized).jpeg
e553ptzdhnf31 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gjm7777.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#186 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

You have every right to express anything you want. And everyone has every right to respond how they want to whatever it is you said. If what you said is generally disgusting/racist/sexist/offensive, then private persons have every right to choose to take whatever action they want within the limits of the law. You don't get to whine and cry for your rights, then demand that others exercising their rights are in the wrong. If you don't want to be fired or generally shunned, don't be an asshole. Or, if you wanna be an asshole, take your medicine.

This line of thought cuts both ways ironically, you have to concede that it's a sliding scale of morality. Everyone has a line that will be crossed, and to pretend that this is sustainable - that everyone can somehow accommodate everyone's subjective line of "offensive/racist/sexist/disgusting" is disingenuous.

In many cases these words have lost meaning because they are thrown around carelessly, because it's easy to tear something or someone down vs actually talking about things. We have crossed into a realm where a disagreement has made people mortal enemies vs having a productive discussion and that is a dangerous place to be headed.

Social media needs to die, and people need to wake up and realize you win by not playing the game.

#189 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I get you, but it's pretty easy to separate the "I made a mistake but I'm willing to listen/adapt/be more mindful" folks from the "My rights are being infringed!" folks. And yes, it cuts both ways. Try talking about [pinside prohibited topic] in a predominately [pinside prohibited topic]-believing community and you'll be ostracized. We understand that's true freedom of speech. Sucks to be on the receiving end, but it's liberating to say "I want nothing to do with you."

Yep, usually you can no matter the position it's easy to see who wants to learn and get along vs who doesn't. Having this discourse online really makes things worse because people can read into words and project emotions or motive.
It's liberating to cut people off, but it's also too easy to do this as well. I know people that cut off family and close friends over trivial things, all because we've adopted throw away convenience , usually reserved for cheap goods, into handling real relationships and it's just sad.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gjm7777.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-got-booted-from-tpf-tourney-for-a-friends-shared-fb-post?tu=gjm7777 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.