Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Methos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So I won (yey) a Lethal Weapon 3 on ebay. It said it only issues are a broken light on top and out of sync sound. Picked it up late last night and upon further review it is totally hacked. The PS is burned and wires are soldered directly to it. The flipper board is fried w some bad replacement resistors stuck on it. The DMD has lines missing, the coin door is inoperable(and it's from Europe) the translight is wrinkled, and the speakers are shot. So I'm not driving it back the 180 miles. I understand that the seller might not have known anything about it but this sucks. It's still up to him to be a bit more truthful. I now have to reach out and ask for some cash back. It's going to cost me a few hundy to fix it all at this point.

#2 10 years ago

You did not see any of these problems when you went to get the game?

#3 10 years ago

I would of just gotten my money back. From him or from PayPal.

#4 10 years ago

asking for money back straight out? Best of luck with that one. Caveat emptor.

#5 10 years ago

Your from Voorhees and it's halloween, I would lock myself in a closet until tomorrow when it's safe to come out again....

#6 10 years ago

If item is Not As Described you can money back from PayPal.

#7 10 years ago

I admit it was very dumb not to open the backbox. He was talking the whole time and was telling me that he had manuals and that he worked on electronics etc... I agree with the caveat emptor. This is why I prefer to buy things from people I know. However as an ebay seller myself, they will side with the buyer every time. I suppose I can shoot him an email. If he wants to refund like 300 I can deal. Otherwise I guess I'm taking a trip.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

If item is Not As Described you can money back from PayPal.

This is why I didn't really pay attention. I sold something recently and the buyer claimed it was broken but was not. They basically told me I had to refund or offer cash back. Still. Lesson learned.

#9 10 years ago

Did you try it out when you got there? If not, why not?? If it's that bad, 180 miles is nothing for a refund.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from mikeincali:

Did you try it out when you got there? If not, why not?? If it's that bad, 180 miles is nothing for a refund.

I did and it actually plays fine. I didn't notice the dmd issue at all. But you can't notice it until you get to a part that requires the far left to be lit up.

#11 10 years ago

If it is the ebay auction i think it is: I hate to say it, but you can see the translite in the pics of the auction, and you're buying from a non-pinhead. They ALWAYS have a different standard of condition than collectors. $760 isn't that bad of a deal for what you describe.

#12 10 years ago

I'd keep it. Bad DMD would be a good excuse to upgrade to a color display everyone is talking about.

#13 10 years ago

Hopefully you can get some cash back, and you just learned a good lesson. Buying on eBay with pins blows and always inspect Everything and play it multiple times at very least. Maybe the seller didn't see or know of the issues, but if this person said they were into electronics, they probably should have. Best if luck in getting the issue resolved!~SpOoKy

#14 10 years ago

Oh I'm keeping it. And I have no doubt that the guy didn't know it was hacked this badly but it's just annoying that it's a little more fix me and less play me. Looks like I'm going to do a bit of a resto on it. I'm siding with Danny Glover on this one. The price is a bit steep for this title in this shape but whatever. Rant over. Sadly I have to buy some boards and what not. So anyone selling a flipper board or a power supply?

#15 10 years ago

well, for what it's worth, the issues you describe don't sound TOO terrible. (not sure what you paid, that could be a factor)

My batman forever has some wires soldered to the PS and they function just fine. i have the ide connectors to fix it, but i just leave it for now until i get around to it. The DMD would be most irritating to me, but as you say, it's not so bad unless there is a circumstance to the far left that highlights the problem.

I have had to go through ALL my machines to bring them up to my standard. Name of the game for me.

#16 10 years ago

if it is the 760 one. then i say you got a screamin deal.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

if it is the 760 one. then i say you got a screamin deal.

I agree! The connecters and Flipper PCB are easy, cheap fixes. $5 should cover all the parts needed. Great deal in my book.

#18 10 years ago

Honestly, if you looked at it in person and loaded it up, I don't think you should get anything back. I guess I feel like once an item has been inspected and accepted, that's it.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Honestly, if you looked at it in person and loaded it up, I don't think you should get anything back. I guess I feel like once an item has been inspected and accepted, that's it.

agree.

#20 10 years ago

Not a bad price underrated game not to difficult but fun

#21 10 years ago

id be happy with that purchase for $760. I paid $1200 for a trashed tftc.

#22 10 years ago

I have an issue with an interstate pin I got. I am going to have to replace some switches and one part from a drop target assembly and little thing that really cost more time than money. I can cop that even tho this is suppose to be a top end 100% pin that I payed top coin for (TZ $4200). The thing that concerns me most is that the glass is the wrong stuff I think. It's got some chips in it that I have never seen in proper pinball glass before and I think it will need replacing. Do you think this is something I just have to take being that I could understand that someone that didn't know dic about pinballs might say "glass is glass I didn't know there was any special requirement"

#23 10 years ago

Okay okay. I apologize for ranting at all. Nothing worse than subjecting yourself to online abuse. Imma fix her and take pics and make y'all fall in love with Mel Gibson again.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

id be happy with that purchase for $760. I paid $1200 for a trashed tftc.

I would pay that for TFTC. It's my secret love. I was obsessed as a kid. I'm into horror. It's a tattooed obsession at this point. Wanna trade

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from ardvark666:

Okay okay. I apologize for ranting at all. Nothing worse than subjecting yourself to online abuse. Imma fix her and take pics and make y'all fall in love with Mel Gibson again.

There is one like you are describing at the local pizza place up here.
The owner asked me if I wanted to buy it and I told him for a pizza and a pitcher I would haul it off for him.

#26 10 years ago

Don't ask for money back. You'll just make a fool of yourself. Live and learn, buying on eBay without being able to see before you buy is always risky. Sometimes the risk is worth it. It doesn't sound like you did too too bad, honestly.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Don't ask for money back. You'll just make a fool of yourself. Live and learn, buying on eBay without being able to see before you buy is always risky. Sometimes the risk is worth it. It doesn't sound like you did too too bad, honestly.

Honestly, I couldn't make a bigger fool of myself if I tried. You haven't seen me dance or ride a tricycle.

#28 10 years ago

I think it's an important lessons for all of is - when you inspect machines, you better look under the hood. I know I have picked up machines, and not done an inspection to the level I should have. Sure I've gotten burned (not boned) once or twice, but it was my error.

If you think that all sellers are going to disclose everything wrong with a product they are selling - dont' ever try and buy a house.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Machine - For Sale
Hilton, NY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-got-boned-on-ebay-ouch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.