(Topic ID: 208831)

I fried something but not sure what. I need advice.

By crazybruce10

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blake.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 years ago

as for what areas were affected by the over fusing, which I think was your real question, I would start by looking at the circuits and components closest to the fuse and try to identify any burned up parts or brown/black discoloration on the board. It may help to remove the board to identify this as you can look at the back. I do recommend reading the links in the above post as there is some great info in there. I will read over basic electronics all the time as it helps to ingrain a mental flow chart for diagnosing issues.
Thanks
Blake

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Disconnect power from MPU, etc... and work on a single board at a time to minimize additional damage as well. Check your rectifier board, make sure that is good. Then you probably will be rebuilding the HV section on the solenoid driver board, at minimum. Don't hook up anything else like MPU or display boards until you are certain the power measurements are within spec.

I'm thinking because of his experience level it would be worth mentioning that there are test points on the rectifier board as well as most other pcbs and those are the specific measurements he is looking for. And that he needs to set his meter up to reflect the voltage being measured.
Thanks
Blake

#9 6 years ago

This is a very cool tip from that write up. I wonder how many people actually do this and how easy it really is?
thanks
Blake

Step 1: Pry up the old socket base. If a black socket, it will come right off easily, leaving the solder-in socket pins in the board. The brown sockets will not pry up (don't even try!); skip right to step number three. On the black sockets be careful not to damage any traces while prying with the screwdriver tip! Once the socket base is pried up, examine the socket pins for any grey/green corrosion. If the socket pins are clean and undamaged, press the socket base back onto the pins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 69.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blake.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-fried-something-but-not-sure-what-i-need-advice?tu=Blake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.