Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00947.JPG
DSC00945.JPG
DSC00944.JPG
DSC00941.JPG
DSC00928.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider browne92.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

My Star Shooter cocktail came with a non-functioning drop target. After some inspection, I found one target broken, and another had been wired back together:
DSC00928.JPGDSC00928.JPG
Far left is a functioning target, I pulled it out in case I needed it for measurements. Turns out I could have left it in the machine. Middle is one that had broken. By the looks of all the goo on the plunger, they tried to duct tape it back together, but that didn't work, so they drilled a second hole through the plunger and wired it back together. The one on the right apparently broke, the plunger fell out, and was lost.

I took the middle one apart and found this:
DSC00941.JPGDSC00941.JPG
It uses a two piece plunger, part steel and part plastic (nylon is my best guess) with a 6-32 stud molded into it. Since I didn't have any nylon available, and no way of molding a stud into if I did, I decided I'd make my replacement out of aluminum:
DSC00944.JPGDSC00944.JPG
This is the first of two replacements. My only concern with using aluminum is that plastic would have some 'resiliency' to it...a little 'shock absorber' effect if you will...that aluminum won't have. I was curious about the weight, my replacement came in about 3 grams heavier than the original. I don't see any problem there. I drilled the end and tapped at 6-32, made a stud by cutting the head off a 6-32 X 3/4" screw, and used a drop of Loc-Tite to hold it in. A 1/8" roll pin will couple the target to the plunger.

Next was to turn the metal portion of the plunger:
DSC00945.JPGDSC00945.JPG
My replacement on the left. The finish isn't very good, but my lathe and I both have the same conditions...age and wear.

The finished pieces, ready to install:
DSC00947.JPGDSC00947.JPG
I could have spent a lot of time with an edge finder making these parts dead-nuts on, but I didn't think it needed that level of precision, so I did a lot of eye-balling. The slots milled in the tops of the aluminum pieces are a bit off center, some of the drill depths are best estimate. But I installed them last night and they worked well. Only time will tell when it comes to durability.

I am by no means a machinist, more a hobbyist, but it was quite gratifying to get my machine working again with a couple of pieces of scrap metal and a few hours in the work shop.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks all.

Quoted from littlecammi:

Couldn't you just fix it by putting a pack of matchsticks under the shortest leg?
That's what we always used to do.

What? And deny myself the joy of pulling metal slivers out of my fingers the rest of the evening? Where's the fun in that?

5 months later
#6 9 years ago

Status update: After playing for awhile, the steel portion of the plunger wants to unscrew from the aluminum part. I'm guessing the taper in the original nylon part where the stud went in acted like a "lock nut". I used the red (permanent) loctite to hold the stud in the aluminum, I'm going to try a drop of the blue (removable) loctite between the stud and steel part of the plunger. We'll see how that goes.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider browne92.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-fixed-my-coffee-table?tu=browne92 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.