5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Blenderhead
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

When I first starting playing pinball I used to love playing on 5 ball. I would set all my games on 5 ball. One day I changed it to 3 ball. I was at a fellow collectors house the other day and all his games were set to 5 ball. I found it to be an incredible bore for some reason. I even have my EM set to 3 ball play. Does anyone share the same experience? Maybe it's just as I've gotten better the 3 ball games last to my satisfaction and a 5 ball game is just too darn long.

What's funny is that I play game after game so it's not like I'm crunched for time. I just enjoy the challenge of only 3 balls.

#2 5 years ago

I usually have three ball games, but my f-14 is set to five...yeah I'm not so good at that one.

#3 5 years ago

My IM could be set to 5. Nah.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I would never set my IM to 5 ball. Then when I fk up DOD on ball 1 I'd have to drain 4 more balls to try again.

#5 5 years ago

The only games that really need to be set on five ball are EM's. I agree that 5 ball games are long and boring and the only rationale I can think of to set them there is if you really want to achieve a wizard mode or reach a certain goal in your game. The only time I set my machines to 5 ball is for a pingolf tourney.

#6 5 years ago

I am 99% with you. The only game I have on 5 ball is "4 Square", and that is just because the game is just no fun on 3 ball. But don't worry, that game has NEVER been accused of being "too darn long".

#7 5 years ago

EM's need to be set on five balls in my view. Three for regular (though I moved RFM to four in my personal collection).

#8 5 years ago

3 ball all the way except for some EMs, especially the wedgeheads...

#9 5 years ago

I just remembered. My Joker Poker is set to 5 ball, but that's because I believe the rules were designed for it to be a 5 ball game with the way it works.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

I was at a fellow collectors house the other day and all his games were set to 5 ball. I found it to be an incredible bore for some reason.

Sounds like the kind of guy who would have lane extenders on STTNG!

But whatever, doesn't matter to me what's fun for other people. If I'm on location, I sure don't mind a 4-5 ball game.

#11 5 years ago

All my SS and DMD games are on 3 ball. Any EBs that are awarded (replay EB off) during regular game play modes are left on. So really in general you could play 4 balls on just about any. 5 balls on late model games, with EB on as well, would be just too long. Might as well block the center and outlanes too.

#12 5 years ago

Ya I find games that are even set on EB on replays or scoring as not ideal either. For the casual player I guess it is nice to have this feature but I find ball times are far too long. Mine are setup pretty tough at 7.0 Apt and factory settings for three ball play and give the player opportunity for an EB with good play. However, I would prefer to turn off EB altogether and give scoring for them instead like PAPA style but still have not figured out how to do that on my machines...

#13 5 years ago

EMs need to be on 5-ball to make up for the added randomness, and "house balls". IMO.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

EMs need to be on 5-ball to make up for the added randomness

EMs also don't have tilt warnings so you can't be as aggressive.

#15 5 years ago

All of my games are set on 5 ball with the exception of TAF. TAF is set for 3 ball 'cause that's all I've ever known.

#16 5 years ago

Setting GC's on location isn't fun anymore because you know you're in for a 10 ball slug-fest. I'd love to play a TOPS tourney game set to 1 ball.

#17 5 years ago

Some older SS games have the same randomness issue as EM's and deserve 4 or 5 balls. I have my EBD set to 5 balls and still the game times are not that long and not because I stink Plenty of balls that get sucked into the outlanes or go STDM which is wide on EBD.

#18 5 years ago

I set all my games up for 1 ball only...damn Attention Deficit Disorder...

#19 5 years ago

I prefer EMs on 5 balls. Feels right. Plus the 5 ball rules are usually better.

DMD games I prefer on 3 for sure. I played a WOZ set to 5 ball though, and it felt right. Maybe because it's a spiritual successor to EM games.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

What's funny is that I play game after game so it's not like I'm crunched for time. I just enjoy the challenge of only 3 balls.

I know exactly what you mean, I'm the same way.

That was my only real complaint about the pinball HOF in Vegas - almost everything is set to 5 ball. At some point I just want the game to be over... so I can start another game..

#21 5 years ago

I set all my games to 1 ball. That way I can experience the immediacy of the now.

-DeepShock Oprah

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I prefer EMs on 5 balls. Feels right. Plus the 5 ball rules are usually better.

DMD games I prefer on 3 for sure.

That's pretty much my feeling as well.

#23 5 years ago

I'm not sure how people can stand playing SS/DMD games with five balls. It just feels like cheating yourself.

#24 5 years ago

one pin that i like on 5 ball is joker poker. otherwise, yes 3 balls

#25 5 years ago

Funny. Was just having this conversation with my son. When we first got into pinball we set our games to 5 balls. A year or two ago I moved them all to 3 ball. We would not go back to 5 ball. For example, on ToM we were getting to grand finale on almost every game. TABA was almost an every game event on LOTR. Now it is more exciting when we have a good game and get to those modes.

#26 5 years ago

Since most non-pinball people walk away after playing 1-2 balls, I can't imagine 5!

#27 5 years ago

I find myself disgusted when someone shows me their high scores when their game is set to 5 balls. 3 balls is the default, it's the way they were on location, & that's the way I like it. (Excluding EM's, which were meant for 5 balls anyway in most cases.)
    If someone likes 5 balls in their home, that's fine with me. Just don't make a big deal about the high scores.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

IM is a one ball game. In other words, getting Do or Die is something that must be done on one ball, so having it on 5 balls wouldn't help too much.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I prefer EMs on 5 balls. Feels right.

Be careful not to generalize. I have 3 EMs and 2 of them on are 3 ball play (Bow and Arrow and Grand Prix). Either of those pins would be terrible set on 5 balls.

#30 5 years ago

I have two EM's and the SS version of Night Rider and all are set to 3 ball. Had them at 5 when I first got them, but over time 5 was too many. BTW both EM's are add-a-ball, so most games are more than three balls anyway.

#31 5 years ago

I keep my Black Knight 2000 set to 5 balls because that's how it was originally shipped. Sure my games are long on it, but that game is brutal to lesser players and they'd just get frustrated if it was on 3. I've never seen a DMD game that needed 5 balls, though.

#32 5 years ago

5 bahlz iz cheating...

#33 5 years ago

Meh...

As Lance Armstrong says,

"If you cant do it with one ball, it ain't worth doing"

#34 5 years ago

I keep my solid state games on 3 balls with extra balls off. The more balls there are the less valuable each one of them seems, so I like to keep it low that way no ball ever just seems like a throw-away (which is how my games on The Pinball Arcade start feeling after waaay too many extra balls).

#35 5 years ago

8 balls is the only way to go !

#36 5 years ago

Only game I owned that had to be set to 5 ball was Black Knight 2000.

#37 5 years ago

3 for everything, even em's. I'm repulsed when playing someone's game and seeing "ball 4" come up.

In all fairness I have only had 70s EMs, some of those 60s and earlier ones likely drain a lot worse, so I can see the argument there for 5.

#38 5 years ago

I always put my games on 3 balls, even all EM, except for one game that would largely suffer from 3 ball games, Williams Joust, at 3 balls this game does'nt give you or the opponent the time to catch up with the other if you happen to get a bad beginning......

#39 5 years ago

if EM then 5 else 3

#40 5 years ago

I used to set my games on 3 balls with liberal extra ball awards, so if I'm playing shitty its a quick game but if I get a good game going it can be a while.

But since starting to play pinball competitively I play a strict 3 ball game now with no extra balls. Quick and fast. I'm not aiming to beat the game anymore, it's just enough to beat the person I'm playing with.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I set all my games up for 1 ball only...damn Attention Deficit Disorder...

I like to set my pins to one flipper. It makes the game much more challenging and then people don't complain about the 5 ball setting being too easy.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I know exactly what you mean, I'm the same way.
    That was my only real complaint about the pinball HOF in Vegas - almost everything is set to 5 ball. At some point I just want the game to be over... so I can start another game..

You mean they have SS and DMD games set on 5 ball? For me that would be awesome as I am still very new to pinball and need work on my skills. But it should never be something to complain about. I mean you can always just walk away and gift those extra 2 balls to somebody else. I'm definitely planning to visit Pinball HOF sometime this winter. I can't wait in fact.

#43 5 years ago

My single player EMs are set for 5 balls. My multi-player EMs are typically set for 3 balls; the only exception being my Quick Draw as it seems more like a single player game much of the time.

#44 5 years ago

It's very much a personal choice really. If it's just me playing then mostly 3 BUT when i have friends coming around that aren't so pinball savvy i set the machines on easy settings and 5 ball. This ensures everyone has a good evening !

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mancave:

It's very much a personal choice really. If it's just me playing then mostly 3 BUT when i have friends coming around that aren't so pinball savvy i set the machines on easy settings and 5 ball. This ensures everyone has a good evening !

Are there other things besides the outlane post widths and the extra ball settings to consider? I suppose the slingshot strength and sensitivity can be adjusted as well.

#46 5 years ago

To me it's all about how much time you want to burn when you play a "quick game of pinball". For me, if a game is set to five balls, you are looking at potentially burning 15-30 minutes (assuming you have a good game).

A lot of our games are set to four balls. Mainly because the family wants to get further into em and frankly we just aren't as good at the game of pinball

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

Are there other things besides the outlane post widths and the extra ball settings to consider? I suppose the slingshot strength and sensitivity can be adjusted as well.

Yeah when it comes to the STTNG machine i set all the mode times to the longest setting, make extra balls lower score amounts and the amount of balls as well. This might seem excessive to a decent player and one would expect the playing time to be far longer but to a relative newbie who's main aim on the machine is just to have a bit of fun (some of whom i've found dont even care to discover the rule set, etc) this works out fine.

#48 5 years ago

Is Black Hole supposed to be a three ball or five ball game? Mine came set for five balls.

#50 5 years ago

Could be my attention span or limited free time at the moment, but 5 ball games feel like a slog to me. I set my pins & vids as difficult as possible

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 7,500.00
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 445.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 6,200.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 149.00
    $ 47.00
    $ 64.99
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside