New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 109502)

I finally went full PDI!

By swampfire

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
g47XFwx.jpg

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I'm very fortunate to live just an hour's drive from Pinball Decals (PDI), so tonight I drove down and added 8 more sheets of PDI glass to the one I bought last year for Metallica. The quality is excellent on these - I didn't have to clean them at all, just unwrapped them and installed them with a pair of cotton gloves. I can also tell you that the owners of this business are really nice people. They're the kind of people you wish your neighbors were like.

It's not hard to justify this mod, especially for older pins with great artwork. But I'm not going to worry about justifying it. Next month, I'll hit 20 years with the same company, and I wanted to celebrate a little. It was a lot cheaper than a new pin. Having the PDI glass on Metallica for a year made it hard to wait. The difference is very noticeable.

#2 5 years ago

Yes that's the only drawback to putting a sheet of pdi on one of your pins. In no time the others are jealous and it is only a matter of when not if, you will be following suit replacing the others. Good decision though.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm very fortunate to live just an hour's drive from Pinball Decals (PDI), so tonight I drove down and added 8 more sheets of PDI glass to the one I bought last year for Metallica. The quality is excellent on these - I didn't have to clean them at all, just unwrapped them and installed them with a pair of cotton gloves. I can also tell you that the owners of this business are really nice people. They're the kind of people you wish your neighbors were like.
It's not hard to justify this mod, especially for older pins with great artwork. But I'm not going to worry about justifying it. Next month, I'll hit 20 years with the same company, and I wanted to celebrate a little. It was a lot cheaper than a new pin. Having the PDI glass on Metallica for a year made it hard to wait. The difference is very noticeable.

Congrats!!!...did the same for mine awhile back.....well worth it!!!

Word of caution....extra, extra care when pulling the glass off to clean or work on machine.....smashed a PDI sheet off of my WCS because I didn't follow " protocol" . Cleaning it up was bad enough, but knowing I just smashed about $360 ( w shipping) stung pretty good for awhile...still get nervous pulling glass off that machine........

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I can also tell you that the owners of this business are really nice people. They're the kind of people you wish your neighbors were like.

I've had nothing but very positive dealings with Joey.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've had nothing but very positive dealings with Joey.

Agreed...Joey a great guy......killer mods....

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Yes that's the only drawback to putting a sheet of pdi on one of your pins. In no time the others are jealous and it is only a matter of when not if, you will be following suit replacing the others. Good decision though.

And it's your fault Jeff, for selling me that first sheet!

#7 5 years ago

Agreed, I have it for Met Pro and it was so worth it! Now I think when TWDLE gets here it will go on there and then i'll have to order another one!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

Agreed, I have it for Met Pro and it was so worth it! Now I think when TWDLE gets here it will go on there and then i'll have to order another one!

You're going to want it on TWDLE. The reflection coming from the translite is very annoying.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You're going to want it on TWDLE. The reflection coming from the translite is very annoying.

Yeah I have been hearing that so figured I could swap it off Met and order another one once my wife get's off my back

#10 5 years ago

A good buddy got bit by the same bug he bought one sheet and after that he had to have it on all his games . It does look awesome !

#11 5 years ago

sigh.
The mirror universe could use some pdi love... but not something I can afford right now.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

...smashed a PDI sheet off of my WCS because I didn't follow " protocol"

What do you need to do differently with PDI glass?

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

What do you need to do differently with PDI glass?

Nothing different, but wearing cotton gloves increases the odds that the sucker will slide out of your hands and hit the floor. If your floor is concrete, you definitely need a towel or throw rug to set it on. My floor is made of cork, so I can afford to be a little more careless in how I set it down.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Nothing different, but wearing cotton gloves increases the odds that the sucker will slide out of your hands and hit the floor.

Some tacky gloves like the football players wear would really come in handy.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Congrats!!!...did the same for mine awhile back.....well worth it!!!
Word of caution....extra, extra care when pulling the glass off to clean or work on machine.....smashed a PDI sheet off of my WCS because I didn't follow " protocol" . Cleaning it up was bad enough, but knowing I just smashed about $360 ( w shipping) stung pretty good for awhile...still get nervous pulling glass off that machine........

How'd you do THAT??? Those suckers seem pretty solid.

#16 5 years ago

I thought if you touch it your finger oil wears on the clear finish?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I thought if you touch it your finger oil wears on the clear finish?

Nothing a little Sparkle can't handle.

#18 5 years ago

Nice. Welcome to the club . Where are all the clueless cheapskates that will come say you could have had a whole pinball for the cost?

#19 5 years ago

You could've bought another pinball for the price of all that glass!

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Nice. Welcome to the club . Where are all the clueless cheapskates that will come say you could have had a whole pinball for the cost?

What's clueless about that? 2400 will buy plenty of used pins...just not new like he said. I was going to make the point, didn't figure it was worth the effort. Even I've started moving in the "pimp the pins I have, not burn a ton of money on projects" direction. Competitor product looks fantastic on my STTNG, but haven't been real motivated to spend that kind of cash on more glass when I'm still missing rudimentary stuff like LEDs.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I finally went full PDI.

Is that anything like full monty?

Quoted from markmon:

Where are all the clueless cheapskates to say you could have had a whole pinball for the cost?

No need, since you just pointed that out for us cheapskates.

I don't consider myself to be cheap, though, since I have 6 ColorDMDs at $400 each on my pins (and will add another when/if they do TZ). I've had my CFTBL since 1994 without PDI-type glass and it still looks and plays fine to me. (But I do keep thinking that my BBB would be worth upgrading to PDI glass.)

#22 5 years ago

I have a place for all the glass - no room for a new pinball!

#23 5 years ago

Just got my first sheet of PDI mins ago. TWD had so much glare I thought I'd buy a sheet to see if the hype was legit. The difference is unbelievable. 100% worth it.

#24 5 years ago

Now that would be a tough call - PDI glass or ColorDMD? Both are pretty awesome.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

2400 will buy plenty of used pins...just not new like he said.

I didn't pay 2400...cash & carry price is better.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I didn't pay 2400...cash & carry price is better.

Okay. It was a generalization for everyone that doesn't live near them, which is almost everyone.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Now that would be a tough call - PDI glass or ColorDMD? Both are pretty awesome.

Both!

#28 5 years ago

Glad I live near them! I have a couple of sheets and love it, hope to get some more soon. But a sheet on every game??? Swampy, you're my hero

Can't wait to play them at the charity tournament next month. Thanks for hosting!

#29 5 years ago

I think I'm the only one on Pinside who puts Phoog's ultimate glass on all my machines... No one really talks about it. $7 bent plastics too. PDI sounds nice.

g47XFwx.jpg

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I think I'm the only one on Pinside who puts Phoog's ultimate glass on all my machines... No one really talks about it. $7 bent plastics too. PDI sounds nice.

g47XFwx.jpg 15 KB

I have PDI and bent plastics. I started w/ bent that kinda took care of the dmd glare but when I put FF color changing back panel w/ flashers the glare from the translate was brutal (on Met Pro) . Got PDI problem solved.

#31 5 years ago

Electrical tape on backbox bulb, poor mans PDI.

#32 5 years ago

Right after I told my wife that I spent $$$ on optical glass, I showed it to her. The first thing she said was "Oh, NOW I get it - that's totally worth it. It's like the glass isn't even there."

But just like new speakers, the benefit varies from game to game. It's totally worth it for all the DMDs and the early SS pins, but less noticeable on EMs. I'd say it increases my enjoyment of a game by 20%, and that's pretty good. It's kinda like drinking fancy beer, when you know PBR will do the trick.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I think I'm the only one on Pinside who puts Phoog's ultimate glass on all my machines... No one really talks about it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pdi-vs-bobs-ultimate-aka-phoogs-pinball-glass-face-off

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

... It's like the glass isn't even there.

And *that's* what really makes it worth the money.

#35 5 years ago

Bringing up a 2.5 year old thread isn't exactly what I would call people talking about it Not much of a market for people who want something above a $30 pane of glass but below the best possible. I bought it for my first pins when I lived in apartment because I was trying to dampen the sound as much as possible but liked it enough that I've been getting it since.

I appreciate all the guys in the market. It doesn't sound like anyone is making a killing of their glass prices and that they're extending their market to the pinball community because they love it.

#36 5 years ago

What is the best way to clean it?

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

What is the best way to clean it?

50/50 combination of distilled water and 91% isopropyl alcohol, using a clean microfiber cloth. There are more ingredients that I don't want to reveal, but you can buy the good stuff from PDI:

http://www.pinballdecals.com/NonGlareOpticalGlassPage.html

#38 5 years ago

Actually I think the best comparison is 1080p vs. 480p. If you have good eyes and you sit close enough, the benefit of 1080p is obvious. But if your TV is far enough away or your eyes are swimming with floaters, 1080p is just "interesting". My 16-year-old son sees the difference between PDI and regular glass much more than I do, which makes me envious.

Final thought: PDI glass is highly polished, and that's not cheap to do. The anti-glare chemicals are etched onto both sides of the glass in large ceramic vats, and that's not cheap either. I think basically you get what you pay for. Look at the cost of high-quality lenses for photography, and the cost of PDI should make more sense. I'm really glad I did this. I've had buyer's remorse about a lot of games that I've bought, but I KNOW I did the right thing here.

And with that, I'm moving on to beer #3.

#39 5 years ago

I just know if I do one I'll want to do them all......so I'm holding out until I have all keepers!

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I just know if I do one I'll want to do them all......so I'm holding out until I have all keepers!

No reason to wait. When you sell a game, put the regular glass back in it, and stick the PDI in whatever game you get next.

#41 5 years ago

Just had a widebody sheet of PDI delivered today for my TZ restore. The shit is amazing and is head and shoulders above competing products. image.jpg

#42 5 years ago

I don't have PDI, but have heard it to be very similar (even the same) as JJP's Invisiglass, I own a sheet of invisiglass and can honestly say that I would buy more if I could afford it right now! Though I won't truly get to use it for awhile, I just put it on my Fish Tales for a preview. I bought the glass for my MMRLE...whenever that comes....hopefully sooner then later!

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Gangplank:

I don't have PDI, but have heard it to be very similar (even the same) as JJP's Invisiglass, I own a sheet of invisiglass and can honestly say that I would buy more if I could afford it right now! Though I won't truly get to use it for awhile, I just put it on my Fish Tales for a preview. I bought the glass for my MMRLE...whenever that comes....hopefully sooner then later!

PDI is way better. Do yourself a favor and buy a sheet, then look at it side by side with your Invisiglass. Or maybe that won't be doing yourself a favor because then you'll be switching them all over.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Gangplank:

Nope, not even close imo. I have had the side by side. The difference is noticeable.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

How'd you do THAT??? Those suckers seem pretty solid.

Went to set it down next to the machine, and it slipped out of my hand about 1/2 inch from the floor...Explosion and much profanity followed. As you know, this stuff doesn't crack...simply disappears...in about a million pieces

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

No reason to wait. When you sell a game, put the regular glass back in it, and stick the PDI in whatever game you get next.

Good point. I guess what I'm saying is that my "hobby money" will all go towards buying games until I settle on a keeper collection......which might be never....lol. Hard to spend the cash on glass when I could be putting towards new games.

#47 5 years ago

I'd love to see more about the processes behind Invisiglass and PDI. Maybe the manufactures will weigh in.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from sckurk:

Glad I live near them! I have a couple of sheets and love it, hope to get some more soon. But a sheet on every game??? Swampy, you're my hero
Can't wait to play them at the charity tournament next month. Thanks for hosting!

Have you noticed I have been asking you about your glass every time I stop by the Kurkade! I will look at John's pins next month and may buy some cash and carry also. I think I am bringing the wife also. She likes Tiki Arcades!

ST road trip is tomorrow morning early. I will be ok because I started happy hour early. My first pin road trip!

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Good point. I guess what I'm saying is that my "hobby money" will all go towards buying games until I settle on a keeper collection......which might be never....lol. Hard to spend the cash on glass when I could be putting towards new games.

Totally reasonable position, and that's where I was until I completely ran out of space.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

PDI is way better. Do yourself a favor and buy a sheet, then look at it side by side with your Invisiglass. Or maybe that won't be doing yourself a favor because then you'll be switching them all over.

Quoted from Skins:

Nope, not even close imo. I have had the side by side. The difference is noticeable.

I only have one sheet, so it wouldn't be a total loss if I did switch over, thanks for the input guys! looks like I'll be ordering some PDI next time I get this glass!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside