stars3 (resized).jpg
stars2 (resized).jpg
stars1 (resized).jpg
B207168D-B3E9-47F1-9EB9-8D47E4C853F3 (resized).png
20210121_201249 (resized).jpg
9B79CD52-AD55-4BAF-9A85-EBFABD685D74 (resized).jpeg
4FF42A0C-DC44-4881-823F-800B80E162A0 (resized).jpeg
35170ACD-F98B-412A-9244-677EC160B074 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sulli10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Got lucky and picked up a beautiful restored example ( See WeatherbyMAG thread). Got about 100 games in. Now I understand!!!

Great shots with both flippers!
Back hands through the spinner!
Strategy: do I take the points through the spinners , go for the triple bonus ? Oh no bonk off the rubber!
EM chimes!
Cabinet and playfield art!
The bonus countdown!

Really cool! This is a game versus today’s encyclopedia rule set tables.

I gotta get another classic Stern
35170ACD-F98B-412A-9244-677EC160B074 (resized).jpeg35170ACD-F98B-412A-9244-677EC160B074 (resized).jpeg4FF42A0C-DC44-4881-823F-800B80E162A0 (resized).jpeg4FF42A0C-DC44-4881-823F-800B80E162A0 (resized).jpeg9B79CD52-AD55-4BAF-9A85-EBFABD685D74 (resized).jpeg9B79CD52-AD55-4BAF-9A85-EBFABD685D74 (resized).jpeg

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Stars really is great.
Don't forget to add the Kirk pass to that list.

Make sure your game is set up to award 100k for the roaming star

How could I forget the Kirk post ? What a great little feature.

How do you turn on the 100k for the roaming star?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

It's usually around then when I start Tap'n & Shatz'n
I've since been able to pull of a Kirk pass -> Tap -> Shatz, but haven't gotten it on camera yet.

Wow. That’s cool.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2366/Stern_1978_Stars_Manual.pdf
Turn switches 31 & 32 off. 100,000 can be set to either award once per ball or unlimited via switch 30. Set 30 to Off for unlimited, On for 1 per ball. I like unlimited.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stars is amazing. Definitely set up unlimited 100k collects. Hearing that chime that is reserved for that collect only is so satisfying.

Done!!!!
Now all I got to do is get there! Easier said than done .

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

It’s a great game! Beautiful example. You can never have enough classic Sterns! My Stars is played more than anything in my game room right now.
Mike

Yea, I remember your beautiful collection.

I had a Meteor. Good looking game but no where near Stars in any manner. I will be on the look out for more classic Sterns. I am really getting into the 1980’s Bally and Sterns

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love Stars but it can be frustrating. Difficult to string together a bunch of good games.
Enjoy our Stars-A-Tournament from a few years back! Few players can survive brush with Left Stars.

Thanks. I can see why it would be such a great tournament game.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from WIZ:

And look at that cabinet paint!! I don't think I've ever seen a faded Stars cabinet. They must have used different paint in those days. I bought my first Stars about 20 years ago and the playfield and cabinet looked great.

Hi,
If you're referring to the pics I posted, it is a restored cabinet. There are pics in the recent restore thread by WeatherbyMAG of what the cabinet looked like prior.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I saw that game in person multiple times during the restoration and it is awesome. I found that game in a garage where it had sat for 15 years. Sold it to weatherbymag. Ironically, I found another project Stars 2 weeks later and let another friend have that one.
Enjoy!

Well thanks, I owe ya a "pop" at some time.

I have two other games bringing back from the dead. They seem so worth while to get "singing" again.

Nice to have a thread talking about an old school game versus the latest "creations"

2 months later
#67 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Best random pinball machine purchase ever!

LOL, mine too!

Have had the chance to hit the moving star for a hundred K a few times. What a great feature! This game has so many really nice nuances that really are pleasing to the player. One cool one is the value of the single pop number to hitting the two upper playfield stars. Having only one pop, but making it so important in progressing though the game...very simple yet very elegant!

Do I rip the the spinner with two lights or do I knock down the last target to get triple bonus? Damn, drano! Only got the double bonus and just missed the score for an extra ball..... how many times has that happened.... .

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just wait until you see what happens after completing the drops after you collect EB.

Chuck, do you mean after collecting an extra ball via score ( in my case 300K) or by progressing through the drop double...trible...extra ball sequence of the drops?

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Drops. Get that EB from score turned off. Haha.

No way Dude..... I am no where near your caliber of player. Maybe one of the most gratifying extra balls in my collection .

Now I have another feature to shoot for. Excellent!

I believe Stern could remake this game today and do very well with it!

#73 3 years ago

Yea, only game in my collection that is on 5 ball. Really only reason is to get that 300K score. Every ball is its own individual game with nothing logic wise carrying over from ball to ball. In a way a precursor to the one ball game with in a game of IronMan for me.

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I recently bought a Nugent for the sole purpose of swapping the original drops in with the shitty bricky repros on my Stars.
That is all.

This is the definition of a dedicated Stars owner .

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think they are talking left spinner. Much easier to light that one.

Yep, that was the spinner I was referring to in this case.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Just played 10 games in 12 minutes. Not sure “love” is the first word that came to mind as I was walking away haha. Hurts so good.

LOL. I had a similar night last night, but on one of the last games, the last ball of that game, I hit the roving star ! Put me over the EB score so Extra ball as well. Sweeeeeet! Every ball is its own game .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sulli10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-finally-understand-the-love-for-stars?tu=sulli10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.