stars3 (resized).jpg
stars2 (resized).jpg
stars1 (resized).jpg
B207168D-B3E9-47F1-9EB9-8D47E4C853F3 (resized).png
20210121_201249 (resized).jpg
9B79CD52-AD55-4BAF-9A85-EBFABD685D74 (resized).jpeg
4FF42A0C-DC44-4881-823F-800B80E162A0 (resized).jpeg
35170ACD-F98B-412A-9244-677EC160B074 (resized).jpeg
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Got lucky and picked up a beautiful restored example ( See WeatherbyMAG thread). Got about 100 games in. Now I understand!!!

Great shots with both flippers!
Back hands through the spinner!
Strategy: do I take the points through the spinners , go for the triple bonus ? Oh no bonk off the rubber!
EM chimes!
Cabinet and playfield art!
The bonus countdown!

Really cool! This is a game versus today’s encyclopedia rule set tables.

I gotta get another classic Stern
35170ACD-F98B-412A-9244-677EC160B074 (resized).jpeg35170ACD-F98B-412A-9244-677EC160B074 (resized).jpeg4FF42A0C-DC44-4881-823F-800B80E162A0 (resized).jpeg4FF42A0C-DC44-4881-823F-800B80E162A0 (resized).jpeg9B79CD52-AD55-4BAF-9A85-EBFABD685D74 (resized).jpeg9B79CD52-AD55-4BAF-9A85-EBFABD685D74 (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

Congrats, Probably the best chimer out there imo. I miss mine.

#3 3 years ago

Your pin is stunning!!

I also picked up a Stars recently and I'm really enjoying it. It's my go-to pin to play right now.

If you ever decide to move on from it, please add me to the top of your list to contact.

I'd love to have such a beautiful example.

Enjoy!

#4 3 years ago

Stars really is great.

Don't forget to add the Kirk pass to that list.

Quoted from sulli10:

Strategy: do I take the points through the spinners , go for the triple bonus ? Oh no bonk off the rubber!

Make sure your game is set up to award 100k for the roaming star

#5 3 years ago

It's my pick for most undervalued game. Nothing against Quicksilver, but I'll take Stars plus a fistful of cash.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Nothing against Quicksilver, but I'll take Stars plus a fistful of cash.

And that's A LOT of cash.

Meh.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

It's my pick for most undervalued game. Nothing against Quicksilver, but I'll take Stars plus a fistful of cash.

Why not have both!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Stars really is great.
Don't forget to add the Kirk pass to that list.

Make sure your game is set up to award 100k for the roaming star

How could I forget the Kirk post ? What a great little feature.

How do you turn on the 100k for the roaming star?

#10 3 years ago

I can star a game on my Stars and next thing I know I’ve started my 20th game on it.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

How could I forget the Kirk post ? What a great little feature.
How do you turn on the 100k for the roaming star?

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2366/Stern_1978_Stars_Manual.pdf
Turn switches 31 & 32 off. 100,000 can be set to either award once per ball or unlimited via switch 30. Set 30 to Off for unlimited, On for 1 per ball. I like unlimited.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I can star a game on my Stars and next thing I know I’ve started my 20th game on it.

It's usually around then when I start Tap'n & Shatz'n

I've since been able to pull of a Kirk pass -> Tap -> Shatz, but haven't gotten it on camera yet.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Congrats, Probably the best chimer out there imo. I miss mine.

Agreed. Stars and Joker Poker are the cream of the crop in terms of chimes.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Agreed. Stars and Joker Poker are the cream of the crop in terms of chimes.

When guests come over they usually gravitate towards the newer pins, but they always get a kick out of when I open up the coin door to Stars and show them the chimes in action.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

It's usually around then when I start Tap'n & Shatz'n
I've since been able to pull of a Kirk pass -> Tap -> Shatz, but haven't gotten it on camera yet.

Wow. That’s cool.

#16 3 years ago

Stars is amazing. Definitely set up unlimited 100k collects. Hearing that chime that is reserved for that collect only is so satisfying.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2366/Stern_1978_Stars_Manual.pdf
Turn switches 31 & 32 off. 100,000 can be set to either award once per ball or unlimited via switch 30. Set 30 to Off for unlimited, On for 1 per ball. I like unlimited.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stars is amazing. Definitely set up unlimited 100k collects. Hearing that chime that is reserved for that collect only is so satisfying.

Done!!!!
Now all I got to do is get there! Easier said than done .

#18 3 years ago

I’m pretty sure I have the meanest stars on earth.

#19 3 years ago

I'll always remember the day I "got" Stars myself. It was a recent Allentown pinfest where i found a beautiful example with a perfect clearcoated playfield. It played like a dream--so smooth! My buddies and i played a couple three-player games while learning the rules bit and i was thoroughly impressed at how fun and brutal it was.

That playfield is what sealed the deal in my mind though. It just played so nice! I missed out on the first wave of Stars repro playfields, but I'll get one eventually. The playfield on mine is pretty bad, but it still plays great!

It's a keeper in my collection, 100%! It's become an instant hit for multiplayer among my pinball buddies. The chimes, the spinners, the fast action--it's always surprised me that it doesn't have the following of the A-list classic Sterns.

#20 3 years ago

It’s a great game! Beautiful example. You can never have enough classic Sterns! My Stars is played more than anything in my game room right now.

Mike

#21 3 years ago

I love Stars but it can be frustrating. Difficult to string together a bunch of good games.

Enjoy our Stars-A-Tournament from a few years back! Few players can survive brush with Left Stars.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

It’s a great game! Beautiful example. You can never have enough classic Sterns! My Stars is played more than anything in my game room right now.
Mike

Yea, I remember your beautiful collection.

I had a Meteor. Good looking game but no where near Stars in any manner. I will be on the look out for more classic Sterns. I am really getting into the 1980’s Bally and Sterns

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love Stars but it can be frustrating. Difficult to string together a bunch of good games.
Enjoy our Stars-A-Tournament from a few years back! Few players can survive brush with Left Stars.

Thanks. I can see why it would be such a great tournament game.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I'll always remember the day I "got" Stars myself. It was a recent Allentown pinfest where i found a beautiful example with a perfect clearcoated playfield. It played like a dream--so smooth! My buddies and i played a couple three-player games while learning the rules bit and i was thoroughly impressed at how fun and brutal it was.
That playfield is what sealed the deal in my mind though. It just played so nice! I missed out on the first wave of Stars repro playfields, but I'll get one eventually. The playfield on mine is pretty bad, but it still plays great!
It's a keeper in my collection, 100%! It's become an instant hit for multiplayer among my pinball buddies. The chimes, the spinners, the fast action--it's always surprised me that it doesn't have the following of the A-list classic Sterns.

Beehive Pinball released Stars before CPR, and he still has some playfields left, last I heard. He’s taking a little break dealing with health issues with his family right now.

#25 3 years ago

Congratulations on the pick -up! I have owned two over the years and when the right one comes along I'll pick up another. Watch the Bowen K. Tutorial, it's excellent!

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Beehive Pinball released Stars before CPR, and he still has some playfields left, last I heard. He’s taking a little break dealing with health issues with his family right now.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll have to reach out to them and see if i can get my hands on one when they're back to business.

#27 3 years ago

NO, I HAVE THE MEANEST STARS ON EARTH!!
Set yours to the 100,000 roaming bonus and you’ll be hooked forever.
Congratulations

#28 3 years ago

We need to have an all stars tournament where we meet up at a show and lineup like ten of them for people to have their souls crushed all weekend. Haha

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

We need to have an all stars tournament where we meet up at a show and lineup like ten of them for people to have their souls crushed all weekend. Haha

I'm down!!!

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My old Stars wants to fight.

(god I love that game)

#31 3 years ago

Thanks. I have a real soft spot for the late 70s early 80s games. Keep me posted on what’s next for your collection

Mike

Quoted from sulli10:

Yea, I remember your beautiful collection.
I had a Meteor. Good looking game but no where near Stars in any manner. I will be on the look out for more classic Sterns. I am really getting into the 1980’s Bally and Sterns

#32 3 years ago

It’s a kick in the groin when you get that last star lit, and then drain.

#33 3 years ago

And look at that cabinet paint!! I don't think I've ever seen a faded Stars cabinet. They must have used different paint in those days. I bought my first Stars about 20 years ago and the playfield and cabinet looked great.

#34 3 years ago

I picked up my Stars 5 years ago. It was a 770 mile journey, and totally worth it. I still love the game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-roadtrip-goodbye-2015

#35 3 years ago

I sold my Stars and kicking myself for selling it. I would love to have it back.

#36 3 years ago

I love Stars... remember playing it when it first came out!

If I ever had unlimited space and cash to build out the kind of home arcade I'd like to have, I've always dreamed of having Stars, Meteor, and Stern Magic all together in a section of older pins.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from WIZ:

And look at that cabinet paint!! I don't think I've ever seen a faded Stars cabinet. They must have used different paint in those days. I bought my first Stars about 20 years ago and the playfield and cabinet looked great.

Hi,
If you're referring to the pics I posted, it is a restored cabinet. There are pics in the recent restore thread by WeatherbyMAG of what the cabinet looked like prior.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

And that's A LOT of cash.

Meh.

Not a fan of the 2020 code? I think it's great. Really keeps everything I enjoy about Stars and adds an extra depth. No plans to add the audio update since the chimes are already fantastic.

Quoted from Pmaino:

Why not have both!

$

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Not a fan of the 2020 code? I think it's great. Really keeps everything I enjoy about Stars and adds an extra depth. No plans to add the audio update since the chimes are already fantastic.

It's fine work but my issue has always been Stars rules are already perfect.

#40 3 years ago

One year at Pinburgh I was in a elimination round to get into the C playoffs. 7 people tied for 5 available spots. I hit the STARS jackpot on ball one. It is by far the high point of my normally mediocre tournament play.

#41 3 years ago

I agree with TheLaw, Stars already has perfect rules.

The new code is really great but my Stars plays so tough I don’t think I would get to experience all the additional rules all that often.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

The new code is really great but my Stars plays so tough I don’t think I would get to experience all the additional rules all that often.

This is very true. My game is also setup pretty tough, so just collecting the stars once is a challenge. I don't think I'll ever reach the Wizard Mode of doing it three times...plus the pop bumper and drop targets.

#43 3 years ago

I think I could give you a run lol...

Quoted from chuckwurt:

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

I think everyone could; and that's the beauty of Stars.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think everyone could; and that's the beauty of Stars.

Agreed. Last week I scored 13,700 total in a full game. I've had plunges score more. Next time everything just flows perfectly and it starts singing. Never thought chimes would get the adrenaline pumping that much.

20210121_201249 (resized).jpg20210121_201249 (resized).jpg
#46 3 years ago

The first, and best imo, of Steve Kirk’s 3 gems for Stern Elctronics (Stars, Meteor, and Nine Ball).

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

Used it in the Pincinnati tournaments in 2019. The average four player game across two days took an average of 11 mins. Haha.

#48 3 years ago

My brother’s father-in-law, having heard me talk about collecting pinball machines, decided he wanted one. He left it up to me to get him “the right” one. He requested an inexpensive one that’s got easy to understand yet tough to master objectives, a game that would keep his interest a long time. What other choice was there... Stars all the way!

#49 3 years ago

I saw that game in person multiple times during the restoration and it is awesome. I found that game in a garage where it had sat for 15 years. Sold it to @weatherbymag. Ironically, I found another project Stars 2 weeks later and let another friend have that one.

Enjoy!

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I saw that game in person multiple times during the restoration and it is awesome. I found that game in a garage where it had sat for 15 years. Sold it to weatherbymag. Ironically, I found another project Stars 2 weeks later and let another friend have that one.
Enjoy!

Well thanks, I owe ya a "pop" at some time.

I have two other games bringing back from the dead. They seem so worth while to get "singing" again.

Nice to have a thread talking about an old school game versus the latest "creations"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 169.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 10.00
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-finally-understand-the-love-for-stars?hl=parsonsaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.