(Topic ID: 91354)

I finally got to play some pinball...

By cheesewhisperer

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I finally had a chance to PLAY the games I’ve been reading about every day on Pinside.
    I hadn’t played anything but a TSPP ‘til yesterday (since 1977, I mean), but at the Ann Arbor Pinball Museum (Sat. May 17th) I had several hours to get acquainted with many other titles.

I’m saving my pennies and selling an old car in hopes of adding another pin or two to my collection of one---so attending a free-play arena was something I needed to do.

Goal: assess Family Guy, WOZ, South Park and a DE Simpsons.
    (South Park and Data East Simpsons were not available.)

I also got a chance to play a wide-variety of EMs (Jacks Open, Fireball) and sample some of the newer pins that I see the Pinsiders raving about: Fish Tales, WH20, Tron, SStiff, MB, BBB, Funhouse, TOF, and others.
    It was difficult to get more than a basic feel for the games because of how loud it was in the building, but I managed to come away with a few impressions.

First: In a loud environment---every game seemed to lack the intimacy which is necessary to form a bond with the machine while playing.

WOZ seemed really solid and well-built, with terrific ball-flow and an incredible playfield (lighting, art, toys) and the flat-panel backglass is amazing. The only change I would make is to lose the ruby slippers/flippers and just replace them with ruby flippers… or emerald…? Game is prohibitively expensive---but I’ll admit---if JJP could do something just as impressive with a theme like Scarface I would have no choice but to pre-order it immediately, even if I had to go into debt!

Family Guy was exactly what I expected, and comes very close to what I want as my second pin. (It fits hand-in-glove with my TSPP.) The mini-playfield, however, I was not thrilled with. Maybe I needed more time with it.

I really liked Funhouse, Fish Tales and WH20. BBB was pretty cool, too.

I had a fun time at the museum, and never had to wait more than a few minutes to play a chosen game. Great place---great people, and I scored my first pinball t-shirt!

Will be searching to play original Simpsons and South Park before deciding to buy Family Guy.

#2 9 years ago
    Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

Will be searching to play original Simpsons and South Park before deciding to buy Family Guy.

Let me save you the trouble, You don't need to play those games first. Liking the theme doesn't always translate into needing to own. South Park is just not a very good game, and DE simpsons might be to simple compared to the games you're talking aboot here.
    FG would be an easy choice there. Good luck!

#3 9 years ago

Hey Cheese

I chatted with you in front of Family Guy. Nice to meet you =D

#4 9 years ago

South Park is probably one of my least favorite pins, my brother in law has one, so I played it to kill some time. Can't say it's any good.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

South Park is just not a very good game

Quoted from rai:

South Park is probably one of my least favorite pins

But...it has a TOILET!

#6 9 years ago

So doas Austin Powers but....

#7 9 years ago

Like the games that we tell you to like. It's how things go around here.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from bam10:

So doas Austin Powers but....

Junkyard is clearly the best pinball featuring a toilet.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

junkyard is clearly the best pinball featuring a toilet.

JY gets a lot of flack but I always have a real fun time playing it. Never owned it though.

#10 9 years ago

my bathroom has a toilet but I wouldn't play with balls in there...oh wait....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-finally-got-to-play-some-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.