Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Today at Pintastic I got to play a great selection of EMs. I'm not much of an EM player, its hard to find a game that has the balance and scoring that make the 'one more game' feeling happen.

Then I played Gottlieb's Bowling Queen. Holy crap, I'm in love. So many things I could say about this game. The backglass bowling balls that give you a real tangible 'progress' meter. The narrow slings are really cool, as is the mini flippers with the wide gap and the center post. The 'window' in the apron to see how many balls you've played. So many cool things about this game. As if my addiction to pinball isn't bad enough, now I am looking longingly at EMs!

#2 3 years ago

Rack-A-Ball & Mibs are also the same playfield layout. I opted for Mibs because it didn't have the push up ball feed. I do like the art of Bowling Queen better though.

Steve

#3 3 years ago

The push up ball feed is a plus in my book. And yeah, the bowling art is pretty sweet. I didn't understand the dead score reel first digit. Why have the spot for the thousands if there's no reel for it?

#4 3 years ago

It lights as a one , no reel they figured 2k was hard enough to achieve that scoring w as not needed for it

#5 3 years ago

Now keep playing EMs and see which one you fall in love with next......

#6 3 years ago

And congrats on finding an EM you enjoy , I remember when that happened to me . I think now you'll look at EMs differently and realize there is much to love about EMs and have the desire to own at least one . Just an educated guess though .

#7 3 years ago

I saw that and liked it, too. Have you bought it? It didn't have a price on it, right?

#8 3 years ago

EMs can be pretty cool. It's fixing them that I hate and why I don't own more. It's so complicated under there, like the engin in a car.

#9 3 years ago

Since you mentioned the window in the apron to see how many balls you have left...
I am restoring a Cow Poke for a friend of mine.
I removed the solid top apron to find that the playfield has the cutout underneath to see the balls. But for some reason the apron has no cut out.
Anyone know the reason for this?
Seems like a waste of an opportunity.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Cow Poke is an AAB.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Cow Poke is an AAB.

Ah.
Had not thought about that.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Rack-A-Ball & Mibs are also the same playfield layout. I opted for Mibs because it didn't have the push up ball feed. I do like the art of Bowling Queen better though.
Steve

Agreed Bowling Queen has the best art of the three. The game has a simple & fun layout... but not a keeper for me because it feels somewhat novelty-ish. The opportunity to earn specials is what drives that "gotta get 'em all" part of the challenge. So if you're not paying to play, that aspect is somewhat diminished. Which of course is a factor in all replay games, it just feels a bit moreso with this layout.

But yeah, at PHOF and in the wild, I'll drop some coins and try for a full rack!

#13 3 years ago

i love this game so much at one point i owned bowling queen, mibs and rack a ball and had them side by side..for me rack a ball best art but there was something about mibs..best memories playing it growing up.

here is my bowling queen before she sold

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

My guess would be the playfield blanks were all the same, regardless of AAB, or replay.

#15 3 years ago

I have Mibs in my collection and love the game play. The post between the flipper is a nice feature for a player and it makes for some great saves from ball drains. The 500 point scoring sounds sweet with the 100 point gong bell sounding off. Simple player but challenging.

#16 3 years ago

Bowling Queen is an underrated early wedgehead IMO, never gets mentioned in many lists, but it's one of my favorites.

There's a Gottlieb EM out there for everyone, always glad to hear of someone finding their's!

#17 3 years ago

I wonder who tagged the image as unsafe? A bit weird

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I wonder who tagged the image as unsafe? A bit weird

Probably because of the high hemline on the girl on Square Head. This is a family-friendly site these days so thigh viewing needs to be reserved for mature audiences only.

#19 3 years ago

and the ultimate is winning 3 replays with one hit..getting it on points/specials on the outlanes and racking up a ball for a replay..can remember doing that on mibs circa 1975 when it was on location and it blew my mind.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

and the ultimate is winning 3 replays with one hit..getting it on points/specials on the outlanes and racking up a ball for a replay..can remember doing that on mibs circa 1975 when it was on location and it blew my mind.

I'm the guy who sold this "Bowling Queen" at Pintastic. I really didn't want to sell it, and I'm going to miss it greatly. I did have an "I don't want to sell it" price in mind though, and there was actually another guy ("Craig", above) who wanted it and would have paid me that amount, but he couldn't transport the game to NC. A few hours later, "Richthofen" called me, and we ended up making the deal. I had owned the game for probably 15 years or so, but only had it running for the last 3 1/2 years, give or take. I really enjoyed it and it's a beauty to look at. In all the games I played over that time, I only went over 2,000 maybe two or three times, so there's your answer for why it has a light-up "ones" digit in the thousands position. It's not often you get more than 1,999 points. I never racked all 12 balls. Had 11 a couple of times, and 10 quite a few times. I've only made all four outlanes twice. That's the hard part. Once you've lost two balls down the center drain, you obviously don't have a chance to rack all the balls. I had one game though, where I won a replay all four ways possible. Racking balls, lighting the "special" and making it, exceeding the score threshold, and getting a "match" at the end of the game!
That was really cool! I'm surely going to keep looking for a replacement for that game. I do have "Rack a Ball" which maybe I'll set up in it's place for now, but "BQ" is the best of the three IMHO. BTW, there is a fourth Gottlieb game that shares the same playfield layout and backbox animation that is not very well known because it's an export game; it's called "Super Bowl". I've never seen one. Not even sure if they ever produced it actually.
I'm really glad my beloved "Bowling Queen" has found a good home. Enjoy it, Kevin!

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

My guess would be the playfield blanks were all the same, regardless of AAB, or replay.

Gotta take a look at my "Cow-Poke". I never knew that the add-a-ball version has the slot cut out in the playfield under the apron. The "aab" versions only use one ball, as opposed to the five in the replay version.

#22 3 years ago

BTW I am not Kevin, and did not buy the game. Glad it went to a good home. Glad I got to play it.

#23 3 years ago

Sorry not to have been able to buy it, but it's now on my list. I did snag a Gottlieb Atlantis this week, so I am happy. Somewhere down the road, I'll hope to find a nice BQ.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

BTW I am not Kevin, and did not buy the game. Glad it went to a good home. Glad I got to play it.

Don't know why I made that assumption. My bad. Yeah, the guy who bought it didn't seem to know the first thing about a pinball machine, so obviously he wouldn't be a pinsider. Doh! I hope he gives it a good home.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Don't know why I made that assumption. My bad. Yeah, the guy who bought it didn't seem to know the first thing about a pinball machine, so obviously he wouldn't be a pinsider. Doh! I hope he gives it a good home.

No worries. I saw your pinside tag on the game. Half wanted to call you and see what you wanted. But I'm pretty sure my wife would divorce me if I got another game given we have no space for any more!

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

No worries. I saw your pinside tag on the game. Half wanted to call you and see what you wanted. But I'm pretty sure my wife would divorce me if I got another game given we have no space for any more!

Actually my Pinside tag was on my "Square Head" which made it back home. I'm really going to miss the "BQ". I'm thinking of putting "Rack a Ball" in it's place. Basically the same game, but with the shallow cabinet which will make it a little more of a shaker than "BQ".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet Parts
SECRET SANTA SALE Out of stock
Flashinstinct
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 305.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside