• Latest reply 9 years ago by donjagra
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN0603.JPG
#1 11 years ago

My Fire! machine had a problem with the ball saver pulling down and popping back up without ever locking in the down position.

First of all, let me admit that I tried to fix this without a hack about a dozen times. I bought new parts, tried them all. I even tried all the new parts in combination with some of the old parts with no luck. I tried bending the brackets to make a better alignment and still nothing. Then finally in a act of desperation I tried a hail mary. I put a rubber band around the mechanism and it works perfectly, every time.

WHY DO MY HACKS WORK SO MUCH BETTER THAN MY LEGITIMATE REPAIRS?

DSCN0603.JPGDSCN0603.JPG

1 month later
#2 11 years ago

Did you replace that extension spring? Yours looks stretched. I had the same issue until I replaced mine. Found a new one online 10-320. There is also a compression spring that pushes the cam inwards. I suppose it's possible that if that were weak the cam might move away from the post, guessing since your rubberband fixed it.

#3 11 years ago

Yes I did, twice. This one was the more reliable spring. It still bugs me that this worked so well...

No matter what I did, I just couldn't get it to stay close enough to be reliable. I tried the springs, adding extra washers, and the gap is on this spring because I tried shortening it.

Aside from the PAPA video, all the other YouTube videos of Fire seem to have the plug popping up incorrectly. I think this is a very common problem with this design.

#4 11 years ago

I will admit it was a PIA to get mine done, but I let it cycle for 2 min in the coil test with not one failure. The other issue I ran into was the type of grease for the cam on the shaft. Since the pin that rides in the cam pushes the cam outward when the plug goes up, the cam needs to slide out easily, which in this design is tough because it gets pushed at an angle since there is only pressure from one side and can cause it to bind on that shaft. I tried three or four before settling on white lithium grease.

I think your rubber band is helping because when the pin pushed the cam outward on its way up, there is equal pressure on the cam from the band and the spring on the shaft up top that holds the cam against the pin. Without it I bet it was binding on the shaft and not allowing the plug to pop up.

If it works, go with it!

#5 11 years ago

I recently did battle with the same mechanism on a big guns. The spring has to be PERFECT for it to function correctly. Took lots and lots of tweaking of the tension.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I recently did battle with the same mechanism on a Big Guns. The spring has to be PERFECT for it to function correctly. Took lots and lots of tweaking of the tension.

IMHO, it's not so much that spring, but the cam has to be able to slide out on the shaft when pushed on at an angle which is tough if the hole in the cam is worn and/or not greased properly. I couldn't get it to work at all with some types of lubricant. You should be able to grab the cam about halfway down and pull it out without it binding on the shaft. Grabbing from the top around the shaft doesn't apply pressure the same way that pin does on the lifter.

#7 11 years ago

Well for my $.02, if anyone is having problems with this mechanism, don't bother rebuilding it. Put some petroleum jelly on the plastic triangle and put a rubber band around wires and all. This thread is over a month old and the mechanism hasn't misfired yet.

#8 11 years ago

Rubber band will wear out very soon. Not a long term fix.

I had two of the mech and both would not function unless the spring was perfect.

#9 11 years ago

It won't wear out any faster than all the other rubbers on the machine. Besides, even if I have to replace it every six months, who cares? It's a rubber band.

2 years later
#10 9 years ago

So that is why i have a zip tie on mine. I guess its time to adjust it and replace the zip tie. I picked up my williams Fire! last night and the fire plug stopped popping down after a few games.

#11 9 years ago

For the record, that rubber band is still on there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-finally-fixed-my-fire-plug-ball-saver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.