IMAG0070 (1).jpg
IMAG0068.jpg
IMAG0069.jpg
IMAG0059.jpg
IMAG0061.jpg
IMAG0064.jpg
IMAG0063.jpg
IMAG0065.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purplemunkydishw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I decided to document my adventure with my first pin here instead of adding to the roadshow club thread.

I had been looking for my first machine off and on for a few months now, was working out a deal on a inexpensive High Speed, but I saw this table put up on ebay.

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

As you can see the auction closes with 0 bids, since the price was pretty high. I decided to send a offer over messages and it was accepted.

$_12 (2).JPG$_12 (2).JPG

$_12 (1).jpg$_12 (1).jpg

$_12.jpg$_12.jpg

IMAG0059.jpgIMAG0059.jpg

Electronics are all good, the shaker will rattle your teeth out, DMD nice and bright, flippers strong, every switch works. I was thinking I was getting off cheap here.

I went and put my first order in for parts, ordered a complete rubber kit, some LEDs, a set of sector gears and drive gears for both jaws (they both worked, somewhat but were quite sloppy and noisy) and some shooter rod parts to fix the wasted main shooter springs.

Going through the machine for playability, I was pretty surprised, other than the mentioned eyeball issues, nearly everything was working, flippers all nice and strong, all the kickouts and switches were working, until I hit multiball and found the dozer blade wasn't moving and ted's mouth was stuck closed.

I found the opto board for the dozer blade totally gone from the cabinet, I did find it in the "spare parts" box I was given, missing the down opto and rough from a really bad attempt at soldering in the past. I was given a spare opto so I did try getting the board working, but still had no luck. Ted's mouth was stuck because the gears were slipping and hanging on his plastic face because it had no screws in it.

Order number 2.....new "improved" dozer opto board incoming.

Naked TedNaked Ted

I disco'ed the dozer and left it up and ran Ted naked for a little bit to see if I found any other issues before I started taking parts off to clean and fix the heads, everything seems to be working rather well, you can see from the pic how dirty everything is and the little bits of crumbling rubber everywhere.

IMAG0064.jpgIMAG0064.jpg

"Fish wear" I think I lucked out as its contained almost entirely in the green.

Red has seen some S***.jpgRed has seen some S***.jpg

Decided to tear into red and see if I could fix her state of constant shock easily, or if I needed more parts, she could look left and right okay, but no eyelid action.

I WILL EAT YOUR SOUL....I WILL EAT YOUR SOUL....

Found out the operator decided that when the vertical coil went out, the best way to fix it was to remove her eyelids entirely...And I didn't get them in the parts pile...crap.

Also, the Jaw doesn't seem to be the right color at all...but it doesn't have the same dimple as a Ted Jaw, so I am not sure what happened here.

So Red will need 2 eyelid coils, an eyelid plastic and two nyloners.

I also found last night that again, a lovely shortcut was taken when the eyes right coil on Ted went out. They hot glued teds eyes center and removed all the hardware to move them...and of course, I didn't get those parts either. I haven't taken him out yet but I assume the lids up and down coils are shot too. The plunger rod seems to be intact.

Hopefully my first pile of parts come in this weekend as I can really start getting things done.

#6 8 years ago

Small update from last night:

My first box-o-goodies came in.

Rebulit the springs on the ball shooter.
Tested the novus 2 on a few spots, including Red's jaw, her lipstick is completely worn off, but at least its the right shade now. Ramps should clean up nicely, playfield looking a lot better.

Inventoried a total of 37 blown bulbs, do have some LEDs coming, mostly for GI and backbox, but can't afford to dump for a full kit, and not yet sure if I want to. I don't like the christmas tree look.

Installed the new jaw sector gears for both Red and Ted, I also ordered new drive gears, but the replacements are too tight and the whole mech binds. I am running the original gears for now as they seem to be a little worn but fine, the different movements of the words now look correct and when Ted starts snoring, it does actually move. He is still a little noisy though, any way I can quiet those gears down?

Another question for anyone who has a RS, the plastic near the start city/skill shot hole, only seems to connect to 2 studs near the bottom, the upper part just sits there, is that normal?

Rubbers should be in today, so with that I will bit my lip and start pulling parts off the playfield to clean them properly.

#8 8 years ago

Minor update over the weekend,

Rubbers came in, started working over areas methodically, I don't want to take to much off at once so I am working it segments.

IMAG0069.jpgIMAG0069.jpg

Started pulling the left ramps out so I could work down to the playfield and clean it up. Its pretty damn dirty.

Then I pulled the plastic ramp, really nasty down here..

IMAG0068.jpgIMAG0068.jpg

I did find a bit broken on the plastic ramp where the diverter arm must have hit it. Still structally intact though.

But, really really dirty.

IMAG0070 (1).jpgIMAG0070 (1).jpg

But Novus 2 worked its magic, and it cleaned up amazingly well.

IMAG0071.jpgIMAG0071.jpg

At this point I was finally able to get to the dozer bolts so I could pull Ted out, had to order a complete set of coils for him, the eyes right worked, but I figured since it was a bitch to get to, I would treat ted to a full set of coils.

#12 8 years ago

That would be the eddy sensor from what I've read. The dozer blade itself has no electronics, its all done by a proximity sensor.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eddy-board-adjustment

There should be a pot and and LED on there, you can try adjusting, but they are known to go bad.

#13 8 years ago

New Dozer opto board came in today. Solved my dozer problems....kinda.

Somehow up and down were reversed. Connector was a little worse for wear so I think whoever was trying to "fix" the OG board must have flipped the wires around. Explains why I was having a hell of a time trying to troubleshoot it before.

still torn apart waiting for new coils for Ted before I can put it back together so as long as I haven't broken anything, It should be 100% playable this weekend.

#14 8 years ago

3 new issues found tonight.

GI Circuit 2 had a blown fuse. None on hand to test, will pick up a fuse at radio sh......oh, right...

The dozer blade is hitting the new rubber on the post to the right of it. Anyone have a closeup of the rubber that belongs there? Maybe I used the wrong part? I don't have anything left over from the rubber kit.

Bigger issue, was checking all the circuits that control the eyeballs. Everything seems cool, except for the Brown/Orange circuit that controls Ted's lids. I am getting a constant 74v ? My meter is a bit crap so it might be wrong, but now I am thinking I might have a shorted transisitor? Looking through the operations manual out there, I can't seem to find a reference to which one that might be, anyone have another resource?

#15 8 years ago

Ahh...fresh eyes this morning on the op manual found it. Looks like q54 is the transistor in question. Should I be able just to replace that or should I look for other components as well?

#17 8 years ago

Still waiting for parts, but finally was able to get ted free from the playfield.

IMAG0079.jpgIMAG0079.jpg

Did I mention this game was really dirty?

IMAG0080.jpgIMAG0080.jpg

Cleaning up well.

IMAG0075.jpgIMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0076.jpgIMAG0076.jpg

A couple of the areas I took shots from before, after cleaning. Still have a some work to do on the area near Ted, but the lane looks like new.

IMAG0073.jpgIMAG0073.jpg

Took a look at my possible bad transistor and noticed this above it...the resistor was burned, and then it looks like it was clipped on one end and pulled away from the board.

Still in a holding pattern for parts now, now that ted is free I got to look at his coils, and they are all pretty crispy.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

If a coil tests good, there is nothing to benefit from replacing it. Reasons to replace a coil:
The resistance is out of spec.
The sleeve is difficult to insert or remove. This is due to the coil overheating and the plastic deforming/swelling.
The wires coming of the coil and going to the lugs have broken.
The Lugs have broken off.
If none of these are issues, clean it off and put it back in. Save yourself a chunk of change.

Replace the predriver and the diode on the coil at the same time.

Thanks, I am replacing them all simply because you have to tear half the playfield apart to get Ted loose. Red is easy to get out, but Ted's dozer blade makes it very difficult to do, and I figured its worth the $11 bucks to replace the one coil there that still does work,

#19 8 years ago

Had other obligations last night so I got home a bit late, but there was a box of parts sitting so I couldn't help myself.

Made a couple mistakes when ordering parts. I had the coil part numbers reversed, so I ordered too many of the vertical eyelid coils and not enough left/right/lids open coils, I also for some stupid reason only ordered ONE eye link wire for Ted. I put all the new coils in his housing, and borrowed a link wire from Red for now, as she can be removed without removing half the playfield, this way Ted will be 100% mechanically sound so I can start putting things back together tonight, heads wont be 100% just now, but I will actually be able to play it with a working dozer and mouths this weekend.

I plugged Ted into Red's wiring (still have the blown driver transistor on his side to deal with) and ran the test's and for the first time in years, His eyes opened and closed and moved left to right.

#20 8 years ago

Time to go to work.

Game is 100% playable again. Was able to repair one of the 1100 series coils from Ted to get Red 100% functional. She no longer looks shell shocked and has eyelids again.

Left Ted's eyes unplugged until I can sort out the board issue, but he is 100% for the first time in god knows how long as well.

But, with every progress comes some failure, the left playfield GI went out at one point. I started to open the backbox to check fuses and it came back on its own, I buttoned it back up and played for about an hour and it went out again. decided to pack it in for the evening.

My LEDs came in and I am not 100% happy with them, but its my fault really, I intended to order warm white and instead got natual white which doesn't look good against the other incandescents. The flashers look amazing though. The "spotlight" on Ted doesn't really seem to show up well either, might try a different type of bulb in there.

Finally went to install the playfield glass and it just looks godawful now compared to everything else cleaned up, I guess I will need to replace it.

#23 8 years ago

Been playing a bit this weekend and really enjoying this game, it has so many different things to do, found a couple more issues I am hoping someone can have insight on..

Seems everytime I earn an extra ball, it is ejecting 2, but the game seems aware of this, as if one drains, the ball keeps running and doesn't end the turn.

Occasionally when things get really wild, made it to payday mode for example or during a multiball I am doing well, the game is triggering a tilt, thing is the plumb bob was missing and the replacement hasn't come in yet, so I don't have one installed at all, so I can nudge like crazy without issues, not sure whats triggering it.

Also, from time to time, the ball is getting hung on the flap mechinism that prevents the ball from returning to the pluger area, (does this have a name?)

Any advice out there?

#24 8 years ago

Well, its been a few days, so I figured I would slip in an update.

IMAG0090.jpgIMAG0090.jpg

LEDs came in, I though the blue would enhance the blue plastics, but its a bit too much, I think, on the right I used a couple of whites with 1 blue and I really like how that looks, might go with that. Not sure if I like the white in the map border either, I saw one that used green that looked good, might give that a try. Inserts look amazing though with the leds, did find a missing 555 socket for the map inserts I missed.

Things left to do:

Fix power board,
left GI circuit is still intermittent, and Ted's still unplugged until I can fix the driver for his eyelid coil.

New playfield Glass. Hoping I can score one at Pintastic next month.

Ted's dozer decals.

Swap out some (all) blue GI leds for white.

Ordered a cliffy and a blast zone post repair kit from cliffy, need to install when they come in.

Replace translite holder plastics, bottom missing, sides broken.

Maybe a spotlight for the middle of the playfield, its a little dark, add a light maybe under Ted's ramp.

Deal with the fish wear. Not sure what I am going to do with it just yet.

External cosmetics, not in a real hurry on this, as it will be a big job, and as long as the play area looks good and everything functions, I am happy.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from guarda:

My RS came with blue map border LEDs and it looks great. How about swapping in the blues from the sides to see how you like it?
Re: fish wear I personally would cover it until you decide. I used a spare iPhone screen protector I had laying around.

Good idea but, Other than 2 of the border lights, they are 555 under there and the GI is all 44 Bayonet lights.

Quoted from dsuperbee:

My dad purchased a roadshow from Lloyd since he missed the one I sold about 8 years ago. It is his 2nd pin (the 1st is an Earthshaker I got him for christmas years ago.). Looking forward to getting it all cleaned up and shopped for him. It is one of the more difficult games to shop, IMO, simply due to how much of a pain in the ass it is to get Ted out.

Ted pretty much is the biggest PITA I found with it, but at that point 50% of the playfield is out, so you can get to everything to check bulbs and clean. To get Ted out you need to remove the dozer blade, to get to the dozer blade, you need to remove the ramps, to remove the ramps you need to remove the rails, and so forth.

Quoted from Pinwow:

Awesome game
I have tons of Misc now parts for it
Pm me if you need something specific
I have (to name some stuff)
Nos red head assembly
Nos red hair
Nos head backings
Etc

I have lucked out on this and most of parts were intact, and present. Other than a set of eyelids for Red and some eyeball parts for Ted. Do you have any Dozer decals for Ted?

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

About the border around the map: Do not forget that LEDs are much much much brighter than bulbs. Maybe they will dazzle your eyes. Or you find weaker LEDs.

Yeah, I am using frosted single led bulbs in there I just don't care for how it looks in general. Since the map is green I think those will look better

Quoted from Mitch:

The intermittent GI sounds like a solder issue on the board. Might just need the solder re-flowed on the pins. you can normally see the crack in the old solder on the back of the circuit board if you look closely. http://klanky.com/tempest/ColdSolderJoint.jpg

Yeah I figured as much, I just haven't taken the board out yet to look, having too much fun playing.

3 weeks later
#35 8 years ago

Had a good time at pintastic today, but was there on some serious business.

I dropped my driver board at the aardvark repair booth, and it took a little chasing around but they found a burnt trace on the component side. I also had the GI connector to the transformer replaced to fix my left bank GI intermittent issue.

Picked up a few flex LEDs, some pop bumper rings, and a couple of spot lights. After a bit of fidding around I am finally almost 100% happy with the lighting. I alternated the map border LEDs with white and orange, and really like the way it looks. Added a couple dual flex LEDs around the slingshots and a couple under the left plastics. I put one spot on the left side, I like the result but I don't like the way it hangs out too far, will look for some more compact spots.

IMG_1449.JPGIMG_1449.JPG

Other things I failed to update, I got a brand new sheet of glass from marco, and it is amazing how much better that simple change can do, also treated the game to a new set of balls. Cleaned the back of the translite, as it like the rest of the game, really dirty. New translite trims and a set of leg bolts and levelers, and its no longer looking like the abused amusement park machine it used to be...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purplemunkydishw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-feel-like-ive-been-rode-hard-and-put-away-wet-roadshow-rescue?tu=purplemunkydishw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.