(Topic ID: 51105)

i DONT want to like Metallica, but i just played it, and ....

By rolandthoms

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jalpert
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

met.jpg
head_up_ass2.jpg
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

...i must admit, i was and still am not a fan of the music of Metallica. I just never gravitated to the harder, metal music of the 80’s, 90’s...so when i heard they were making a Metallica pinball, i was OUT. Put my pre-order in for Star Trek LE and all is good. But today, i’m at PAGG and i played WOZ (pretty cool) and played the classics and had a chance to play Metallica Pro.

I step up to the machine, fully expecting to hate it. The music is not my thing, having heard it from the players before. And then i play. Forget the music, as an ACDC owner, i have high expectations about gameplay, and this game delivered...the snake shot, the drop targets leading to the cross multi-ball, the SPARKY multi-ball ...everything needed to be earned and was, therefore, very satisfying, when it delivered....i don’t know but this gave me the same rush that ACDC has been giving me for the last 5 months and rejuvenated my love of pinball...but the music...most songs are still just not doing it for me....but the gameplay, it just was outrageous and fun !...

this is truly going to be a hard decision...right now, i am thinking of buying a PRO model and keeping the volume down low....

#2 10 years ago

This is fantastic news that a non fan, not a hater would consider it. You can come play my le in June if your not sure if you don't mind a drive to Marin.

#3 10 years ago

I am not a fan of Metallica at all. Never heard their songs 4 months ago and my son is a fan so I wouldn't like them. But the pin looks a winner and I have an LE coming. Listened to some of their songs and I can live with it but the playfield looks awesome. Can't wait for it to get here.

#4 10 years ago

Oh man, I have a LE on order and I am a BIG Metallica fan. If someone that doesn't like the music will give such a review, how good will it be for a fan? Can't wait!

#5 10 years ago

What a way to go through life, expecting to hate something that you are unfamiliar with. Glass half empty anyone!

Glad you liked it.

#6 10 years ago

No matter how good the machine is, for me, there is no way I'm ever going to like it. The band Metallica is filled with just awful, greedy, pretentious people it just kills it. I'm sure the game will be fun, but there are hundreds of other fun games out there.

Pretty easy to skip this one.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

No matter how good the machine is, for me, there is no way I'm ever going to like it. The band Metallica is filled with just awful, greedy, pretentious people it just kills it. I'm sure the game will be fun, but there are hundreds of other fun games out there.

Pinside is filled with some of the same people and you use it....care to explain why Metallica is any different?

.....well not everyone - but there are certainly some that can be described that way.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

What is the objectif of your post??

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

The band Metallica is filled with just awful, greedy, pretentious people it just kills it.

LOL, glad to hear you know the band members so well! The band is just a form of entertainment. They are normal everyday guys with families, friends, hobbies, personal problems just like most of us. To judge them in this way without truly knowing them is what kills me...

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Why? Because they fought Napster? They wanted to protect their work? I don't know any of the members personally...and I have never bought into any media opinions....they mean nothing....that same media made Kardashians famous!
I hope you own a ton of non-licensed pins as every actor has their "flaws"...Take Arnie for ex..No PRED, LAH, T3....
What if the people at Williams, Bally, Stern or any other company had some awful/greedy/pretentious people working for them? You could never buy a machine!!!
Just play them and enjoy them - don't worry about "perceptions".

Can't wait for my LE to get here......

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

You watched there documentary Some kind of monster probably. Bad same feeling for a year then I listened to a few of there old albums while working out and loved every minute a d song. I have had run ins with James and he is so grunt faced I did not want to even bother him. He was a neighbor for awhile and just wanted to be left alone in public..

Lots of money success will change anyone. This game is so far in away art wise from everything stern has done that it will be one of those rare held onto titles that people well only swhen they have to.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

What a way to go through life, expecting to hate something that you are unfamiliar with. Glass half empty anyone!
Glad you liked it.

Nice play on words...... It's human nature to have expectations. One expectation does not define the average expectation. For example, I expect that if I met you that I wouldn't like you based on what I know about you(which is nothing but a troll comment). Your comment also should have been avoided based on the logic that he pro-ordered Star Trek expecting it to be good so he's averaging 50%. Try harder next time.

#13 10 years ago

Long story short, Metallica is who they are today because of the underground music scene who traded audio and videos of their show back in the day. Now that they've made it, they've spent a ton of time and money trying to shut down a system that's worked for them because it's been costing them pennies on the dollar. In turn, attempting to (unsuccessfully) make it much more difficult for up and coming bands to be heard.

Why I used Pinside even though people profit from it? Because the people who profit from Pinside aren't making the same impact on the hobby that Metallica made on the music industry. That, and pinball isn't as important to me as music.

Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

Pinside is filled with some of the same people and you use it....care to explain why Metallica is any different?

Sometimes I wonder if you even take the time to process some of the stuff you write before you hit send. I'm sure it's blatantly obvious to everyone here but you, but I'll say it anyway. Of course I don't have a personal relationship with anyone in the band. I never said or implied I did.

What I am saying is they they have and continued to do everything they can for the big business side of the music industry, doing everything they can to keep the little bands little because it means a few extra pennies on the dollar in their pocket.

Not a band I care to listen to, on my stereo or through the speakers on my pinball machine.

Quoted from teekee:

LOL, glad to hear you know the band members so well!

I can appreciate your opinion. There are a lot of sheep out there who buy a lot of the media bullshit. This isn't that.

Quoted from hollywood:

Why? Because they fought Napster? They wanted to protect their work? I don't know any of the members personally...and I have never bought into any media opinions....they mean nothing....that same media made Kardashians famous!

I'm sorry you weren't able to separate the documentary from reality, that's not the case with me. I hated them years before I saw that.

Their early stuff was great, I never said they don't have any good music. What I am saying, everything after the Black album is Great for Hillary Duff fans, but generally terrible for everyone else.

Quoted from starbase:

You watched there documentary Some kind of monster probably. Bad same feeling for a year then I listened to a few of there old albums while working out and loved every minute a d song. I have had run ins with James and he is so grunt faced I did not want to even bother him. He was a neighbor for awhile and just wanted to be left alone in public..

Lots of money success will change anyone. This game is so far in away art wise from everything stern has done that it will be one of those rare held onto titles that people well only swhen they have to.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Long story short, Metallica is who they are today because of the underground music scene who traded audio and videos of their show back in the day. Now that they've made it, they've spent a ton of time and money trying to shut down a system that's worked for them because it's been costing them pennies on the dollar.

Sometimes I wonder if you even take the time to process some of the stuff you write before you hit send. I'm sure it's blatantly obvious to everyone here but you, but I'll say it anyway. Of course I don't have a personal relationship with anyone in the band. I never said or implied I did.
What I am saying is they they have and continued to do everything that can for the big business side of the music industry, doing everything they can to keep the little bands little because it means a few extra pennies on the dollar in their pocket.
Not a band I care to listen to, on my stereo or through the speakers on my pinball machine.

Good post. All that aside, I try to like them over and over and nothing. To be honest, as a drummer I'm usually quite insulted.

#15 10 years ago

Only their first few albums were any good. Have you tried listening to anything before Black? They've sucked since 1990.

Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

I try to like them over and over and nothing.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Only their first few albums were any good. Have you tried listening to anything before Black? They've sucked since 1990.

Ok, I'll be fair. When I was 9 I listened to "And Justice For All" Ever day for months while waiting for "One" to come on MTV. I feel that Metallica is a great band with some great composing but as I evolved as a drummer during my teen years I heard "Lars is the best drummer EVER" so often that I developed a harsh bias. I admit that it's my flaw.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I can appreciate your opinion. There are a lot of sheep out there who buy a lot of the media bullshit. This isn't that.
Their early stuff was great, I never said they don't have any good music. What I am saying, everything after the Black album is Great for Hillary Duff fans, but generally terrible for everyone else.

Thanks. In no way was I trying to insult you - and I too respect your opinion. I am in no way into smaller music scene like you are, so I probably don't know all the facts. I do know I like some of the songs from Fuel though - sorry!! And ps....I hate Hillary Duff -

But again, don't let your hatred of the band members deter you from buying the pin!!! How much money do they really get from every pin sale? I'm more mad at Gary for charging me 8K - probably has to cover payments to Metallica.......

#18 10 years ago

The incorporation of the music leading into the start of the multiballs is fantastic. I am a Metallica fan and have been playing Enter Sandman and Battery CD that I bought a number of years ago now. The game is fun, good flow and looks good. There are a few problems with it but it certainly is a step up from recent games...

#19 10 years ago

I wasn't insulted, it's all good!

Quoted from hollywood:

In no way was I trying to insult you

Since I'm more into music than pinball, this is hard for me.

Quoted from hollywood:

don't let your hatred of the band members deter you from buying the pin!!!

#20 10 years ago

Wow, woke up this morning to see this tread turn a little nasty...all good...Different opinions are what makes the world go 'round.

Getting ready to drive back up to PAGG.

Gotta get a few games in on the Metallica....where's the volume control, gotta turn the game down low....or will this new waver from the 80's become a new fan in his 40's...faster! faster!

#21 10 years ago

you lost me at.....I had my preorder in....

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you lost me at.....I had my preorder in....

Everyone in the entire world already knows your stance on play it then buy it. You don't need to remind us 15443346346346 to the power of 567534 times a week..

#23 10 years ago

Everyone in the entire world already knows your stance on play it then buy it. You don't need to remind us 15443346346346 to the power of 567534 times a week..

I don't think they do, because some people are getting worse. Now some of you are preordering without even a picture of the playfield. Before some would preorder from a video, which is bad enough, then some were preordering over still pictures. But now it's wayyyyyyy up in there on just a theme name alone.

Theme alone is so risky. There are some games that are awesome that have horrible themes, and plenty of others with great themes that suck bad. Preordering at this point is...well.

head_up_ass2.jpghead_up_ass2.jpg

#24 10 years ago

I took a huge gamble on Metallica LE, but I'm a big fan of their early music and so is my son, and when I saw it would have hand drawn artwork, lyman doing code, great LE artwork, I couldn't resist. This is my first time preordering and my first NIB. I promise to play first and buy later if I like how Hobbit is coming along

#25 10 years ago

Anyone who used napster is a thief anyways. Good for Metallica for fighting it.

#26 10 years ago

I am one of the ones who paid in full for a MOP LE and got the shaft by Stern. I still feel burnt and want to dislike the pin. Played the Pro a couple of times at PAGG and I got to say....It is pretty awesome.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

Nice play on words...... It's human nature to have expectations. One expectation does not define the average expectation. For example, I expect that if I met you that I wouldn't like you based on what I know about you(which is nothing but a troll comment). Your comment also should have been avoided based on the logic that he pro-ordered Star Trek expecting it to be good so he's averaging 50%. Try harder next time.

He didnt say that he thought the game was going to be bad, but it wasnt, he stated that he didnt want to like it, but did.

Big difference.

#28 10 years ago

Part of the ambiance of a pinball machine are the sounds, the appearance,and yes even the gameplay.If you don't like any one of them , then at $6k+, maybe you should really consider another pin or another place for your hard earned cash .

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I took a huge gamble on Metallica LE,

A huge gamble is not a grand ! What is the worst that could happen,you lose a grand if it sucks ?

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

A huge gamble is not a grand ! What is the worst that could happen,you lose a grand if it sucks ?

If it totally sucked, nobody would want it, even me. That's the gamble...

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

I would say some kind of monster definitely changed my opinion of metallica. I love the first 4 albums but I'm having a hard time wanting to send any money metallicas way. It's just the way it is. The game looks cool but having to hear James or Lars speak is like listening to cats f**k in a classroom with a teacher running her nails down a chalkboard. Everyone that likes the original posters review should give the same respect to the people that don't like it.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

For quite a few of us on here, a grand IS a huge gamble, let alone several grand.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

+1. That can be one hand of NLTH poker easy.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Anyone who used napster is a thief anyways. Good for Metallica for fighting it.

This is a foolish and naive statement. Napster was groundbreaking at the time and many artists that couldn't get their music out there had a new avenue to get their songs heard and many an artist will tell you they liked Napster. I heard the same story that jalpert wrote about metallica and Napster back years ago and he's absolutely right in saying that metallica encouraged fans to bootleg their stuff in order to get exposure when they were underground. Once they got big then they were suing the same fans they encouraged years ago to bootleg their music for bootlegging music through Napster.

#35 10 years ago

I played it at pagg. its a fun game with a nice art package. people who buy it should enjoy it.
if you don't buy one its not the end of the world. there are many other great games out there too.

#36 10 years ago

If you don't like it...don't buy it
If you do like it....BUY IT!!!

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

For quite a few of us on here, a grand IS a huge gamble, let alone several grand.

Those people should not be buying luxury items, sight unseen. Nor should they need to be told this by a stranger on a forum.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Long story short, Metallica is who they are today because of the underground music scene who traded audio and videos of their show back in the day. Now that they've made it, they've spent a ton of time and money trying to shut down a system that's worked for them because it's been costing them pennies on the dollar.

You are incorrect. Metallica has always promoted *free* bootlegging of their live shows. They've held tours with a recording pit next to the stage for fans to record it. They took it a step further and years ago started selling high quality sound board recordings of every live show (livemetallica.com) for those fans who want better quality than a hand held device in the middle of an audience... price is very fair, and the site has many free shows available dating back as far as 1982. How many other bands do this?

#39 10 years ago

Not a fan of the band. Played a pro on Friday and ordered mople on the spot. Game is so good and I guess the LE will be better! Then I came home and pulled up a bunch of their songs on YouTube. Figured I better see what I had gotten myself into. Liked it! I am going to iTunes to buy all the songs from the pin so I can make a cd for my car. So I now say "great pin, good band"

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

Played a pro on Friday and ordered mople on the spot. Game is so good and I guess the LE will be better!

You successfully ordered an LE? I'm not interested, but my understanding is MOPLE is now unobtainium.

#41 10 years ago

Yes. I guess didn't sell out from canadian distributors as fast.

#43 10 years ago

I agree. I'm not a bit Metallica fan (never got into the head banging music back in the day) but, I gotta admit, this pin looks awesome. Every one of the features you mentioned looks great and I wouldn't mind owning one just because of those features. I think this pin will sell great and will be one of the hard to find ones under a good price later.

#44 10 years ago

Spent some time on the Pro at Curly's (Little Shop of Games) yesterday. I went into it with mixed feelings being an ACDC Pro owners based on loving that Pin's Gameplay. Metallica was pretty damn cool. Layout is fun and fast, multiballs are not too hard and not too easy to get going. Stacking with Judgement for All and Fuel Modes give it some strategy even on Early Code.

The art is Badass, I'm sorry, Reminds me of No Fear or another 90's Bally Williams. Most of the Soundtrack is the Black album, so they did keep it to some of their best work (IMO).

BADASS ARTWORK (Below the Flippers)

Buck met.jpgmet.jpg

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from themegabuck:

Most of the Soundtrack is the Black album, so they did keep it to some of their best work (IMO).

Only 3 of the 12 songs are from the black album.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

The band Metallica is filled with just awful, greedy, pretentious people it just kills it.

I've never understood this. If you don't like the music I get that, it's not for everyone. But is it possible to not like the way music sounds because of what the band does outside the studio?

#47 10 years ago

I didn't want to like AC/DC as I'm not fan of the band, but after logging 20-30 games on an AC/DC Premium at the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown, I came home and immediately (as in the next day) sold off two of my machines and ordered an AC/DC Premium.

When a game is great, theme takes a back seat in most cases.

#48 10 years ago

Exactly that? none that I know of. Bands that will let you video and record if asked nicely, a ton.

But it's also a different time now. The problem now is even if bands don't mind fan recordings, the venues have rules against it.

Quoted from Baiter:

How many other bands do this?

When you care about it enough, yah. If there is a band full of neo-nazis that make great music, I still won't buy it and I still won't support it. An extreme example, yah, Metallica aren't neo-nazis.

Quoted from Ninefingers:

But is it possible to not like the way music sounds because of what the band does outside the studio?

#49 10 years ago

This is going to happen a lot!!! This is not a great Metallica game; It is a great Pinball machine!

#50 10 years ago

First impression, first version of the S/W... two words:

AC/DC lite.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 29.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 149.00
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-dont-want-to-like-metallica-but-i-just-played-it-and and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.