Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I've seen used translites go for $50-$125 for some titles.

Today, I happened to come across a whole list of various translites for $25-$40.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=145&pg=1

What does it actually cost to produce a translite? Why are some less expensive and others ridiculously more expensive--even if they're used?

#2 9 years ago

Supply and demand

#3 9 years ago

A lot of it has to do with liscensing some translites can't be produced anymore because the manufacturer does not have the licensing abilities anymore therefore limited supply.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Supply and demand

I doubt it's that simple--some of the translites I saw with high price tags were still readily available from various vendors. It's not like they were unobtainable.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I doubt it's that simple--some of the translites I saw with high price tags were still readily available from various vendors. It's not like they were unobtainable.

Those $25 ones are old leftover stock that no one wants. Probably bought up in bulk for a few dollars each way back when.

#6 9 years ago

People have been dumping off a lot of those particular translites for years. Not sure if they made more than needed and dumped them off cheap at the time, or what.

The Gottlieb translites are at pretty much every pinball show you find Mike Pacak at. He has a bunch of them, and they are reasonably priced.

Jim Shird always has a bunch of Whirlwind translites in his booth at Expo for 50 bucks. Perhaps he got a stack of them when he worked for WMS, who knows?

The Stern stuff, I really don't have any knowledge on those, but I bet there's a fair amount of supply/demand going on there.

#7 9 years ago

The crazy priced translite is the TRON 3D one. Over 300$! That's crazy!

#8 9 years ago

39$ for a big guns?! That's s cool piece of art, may have to snatch one up!

#9 9 years ago

Translights cost less than $5 to make in quantity.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If they are readily available at a lower price from another vendor, the vendor/seller at the higher price is simply greedy.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Vid normally I'm with you on your knowledge, but in this case (speaking as someone who has a lot printed) I can't agree.

Maybe there's some cheap knockoffs for that kind of price, but true photographic translites? Not that I know of. And I've worked with a printer before who's printed Stern translites, which is the closest thing to bulk you get these days.

You can skimp a little by not fusing a diffuser layer, but they're still not anything like that cheap.

Those $25 aren't about cost. They're about Terry getting a stack of them for pennies because no one cared, and being priced cheap because no one wants to pay more for them than that.

Now when I price mine I'm factoring in the work that goes into them, not just the materials cost, but I'd lose money on every sale trying to sell them for what Terry is.

#12 9 years ago

Quantity 2000 = $5 all day long.

Of course there are licensing costs, the cost of commissioning your artist, warehousing, interest, prototyping....

#13 9 years ago

What they're asking for and what they are actually getting are two different things.

Quoted from vader1979:

The crazy priced translite is the TRON 3D one. Over 300$! That's crazy!

Seen many, or actually any, sold that that price?

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Jim Shird always has a bunch of Whirlwind translites in his booth at Expo for 50 bucks.

The highest sold listing on Ebay for Whirlwind translight - $124. Lazy or uneducated shopper, who knows? Active Ebay listings at $149 and $199. Savvy buyers will find them at the shows or elsewhere for well under $100.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Supply and demand

Absolutely.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Quantity 2000 = $5 all day long.
    Of course there are licensing costs, the cost of commissioning your artist, warehousing, interest, prototyping....

But then you have spent 10k just on the printing. Let be conservative and say another 1k to 1500 in time for the person so created it, even if it's you. Now you're out 11-12k. You are unlikely to sell 2000 of them. So then price accordingly. Every time you sell a bulk of them, they will likely mark up for their sales etc.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

But then you have spent 10k just on the printing. Let be conservative and say another 1k to 1500 in time for the person so created it, even if it's you. Now you're out 11-12k. You are unlikely to sell 2000 of them. So then price accordingly. Every time you sell a bulk of them, they will likely mark up for their sales etc.

Is it really worthwhile to discuss production costs on an item that is no longer even produced? I'd would guess that a very high majority of the translites sold are for games where the manufacturers are long gone anyway.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Is it really worthwhile to discuss production costs on an item that is no longer even produced? I'd would guess that a very high majority of the translites sold are for games where the manufacturers are long gone anyway.

We are both on Pinside at 8:00am on a Sunday. I would wager we are discussion forum type people.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

We are both on Pinside at 8:00am on a Sunday. I would wager we are discussion forum type people.

Apparently nobody has any broken machines to talk about, so here I am discussing translite pricing.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Vid normally I'm with you on your knowledge, but in this case (speaking as someone who has a lot printed) I can't agree.
    Maybe there's some cheap knockoffs for that kind of price, but true photographic translites? Not that I know of. And I've worked with a printer before who's printed Stern translites, which is the closest thing to bulk you get these days.
    You can skimp a little by not fusing a diffuser layer, but they're still not anything like that cheap.
    Those $25 aren't about cost. They're about Terry getting a stack of them for pennies because no one cared, and being priced cheap because no one wants to pay more for them than that.
    Now when I price mine I'm factoring in the work that goes into them, not just the materials cost, but I'd lose money on every sale trying to sell them for what Terry is.

I might know a little about printing too, I agree with the Aurich.

I will also add, if you go to an art gallery and a "print" (IE poster) sells for $150, the cost to produce the poster may only be $5, which has little to do with the end pricing. The artist has to get paid for time and talent, as does the company selling them. People don't work for free....and when people say "it doesn't cost that much to make" seems like they want something for nothing, the only cost that matters is the one you can buy it for. I am willing to pay for a good product, quality, and talent. I am willing to keep them profitable, so they keep making stuff I want/need.

Same principle as video games, Call of Duty advanced warfare $60, Call of Duty world at war $19 ......... Why the price difference

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You try and sell 200 translights of some 20 year old game it could take years.

#20 9 years ago

You could change the post title to "I don't understand pinball parts pricing" and generate the same discussion. Like pretty much everything in pinball, it's what the market will bear.

#21 9 years ago

Was offered a JP Translite as mine is shot. 300 dollars. Took a risk on a reproduction which I am waiting on for 100.
    Not complaining about either price, it just is what it is.

The only BF translite i can find is 200 on ebay. Given the rarity of the game and the fact it is an ugly translite I just cannot justify paying for it.

#22 9 years ago

I've looked into one-off translites, they are about $30-50 printed on clear or white depending on the vendor.

I do get the op's point on used and new on ebay. Why would I pay $50 for a used Fire! translite (with some wear, or rips) when I can buy new for $75? And why would I buy new for $110 on ebay when I can buy elsewhere cheaper? I think some people just think ebay is the go-to place to buy pinball parts, and many people take advantage of it.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Every time you sell a bulk of them, they will likely mark up for their sales etc.

Of course!

The iphone 6 has a BOM, assembled, packaged, cost of $227 usd.

Apple is not going to retail it for that price.....

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

You try and sell 200 translights of some 20 year old game it could take years.

That's for sure.

I remember Gene always trying to pawn off all his extra BBB translights for $15 each.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-dont-understand-translite-pricing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.