(Topic ID: 39998)

I don't often watch movies, but I saw Starship Troopers lastnight...

By tamoore

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Miguel351
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

997STS_Denise_Richards_019.jpg
Starship_Troopers_Bugs_Bunny.jpg
images-2.jpeg
925981-brain_bug_large.jpg
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Man that machine does look nice! Can't wait to check it out.
Just hope you won't have to replace that DMD anytime soon.....better start a SST DMD fund just in case.

That Sega has the regular sized one...

Also, the DMD in that SST was just replaced.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

That Sega has the regular sized one...
Also, the DMD in that SST was just replaced.

BONUS!

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

...ON PURPOSE!
...I wonder why I did that?

I love that movie. Heck I own that movie.

#54 11 years ago

Verhoven only read 3 chapters of the book, got board and went his own way with the movie. There's been talk recently of remaking it following the source material much closer.
Side note, when I was in Somalia 20 years ago everybody called natives skinnies. All of us being idiots assumed its cause everybody was freak'in skinny. Years later I figured out it was a Starship Troopers reference.

#55 11 years ago

Starship Troopers is a GREAT movie...loved it! Also because they got to shoot so many bugs:

Starship_Troopers_Bugs_Bunny.jpgStarship_Troopers_Bugs_Bunny.jpg

#56 11 years ago

Read the book - Heinlein's masterpiece.

Of course the hack known as Paul Verhoeven got hold of the property and f$#$^d it up the you know what.

"On the bounce solider".

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

If it was it wasn't a good one. I'm pretty sure it was rated R so I doubt it was made for tv. I usually like bad movies, and this was one I didn't even enjoy at all. (although I did sit through the whole thing, but that's not saying much)

It is interesting how time somewhat changes peoples views on things. Starship Troopers was actually a reasonable commercial success. It spun off two cartoon shows and a big toy line; along with some novels.

The silver screen squeals were dreadfully bad though and single handedly sunk the chance of the it becoming a long term viable franchise. The first sequel was actually a horror movie (no kidding, they turned a sci fi action movie that was relatively big budget into a low budget monster movie sequel in a cave...and that wasn't even the worst of the sequels).

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It is interesting how time somewhat changes peoples views on things. Starship Troopers was actually a reasonable commercial success. It spun off two cartoon shows and a big toy line; along with some novels.
The silver screen squeals were dreadfully bad though and single handedly sunk the chance of the it becoming a long term viable franchise. The first sequel was actually a horror movie (no kidding, they turned a sci fi action movie that was relatively big budget into a low budget monster movie sequel in a cave...and that wasn't even the worst of the sequels).

Maybe you misunderstood my posts. I really enjoyed the first one. Ive seen it a bunch of times (including the theater). Ive seen two and three, and I agree both were bad.

Im someone who usually appreciates bad movies, but both of those were unbearable. Considering that I think Road House is a cinematic masterpiece, thats saying a lot.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

Maybe you misunderstood my posts. I really enjoyed the first one. Ive seen it a bunch of times (including the theater). Ive seen two and three, and I agree both were bad.
Im someone who usually appreciates bad movies, but both of those were unbearable. Considering that I think Road House is a cinematic masterpiece, thats saying a lot.

Ah, yep; mis-read what you were saying. I see now and agree with you.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

SST movie is not a guilty pleasure us fans will agree, it's a classic.
Roadhouse is legend no doubt.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Roadhouse is legend no doubt.

Yep. I will never forget the first time I heard the philosopher Dalton offer up the poetic words "Pain don't hurt". Changed my life forever. It's a damn shame Swayze didn't get an Oscar nod for that performance.

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Of course the hack known as Paul Verhoeven got hold of the property and f$#$^d it up the you know what.
"On the bounce solider".

What bugs me about the pass this crap for crap movie gets is that, even if completely divorced from the book from which it takes its name, it still sucks. It makes no narrative sense. I know, I know, it's "just" a sci-fi shoot 'em up. I just wish the genre was held to higher standards.

I should point out that I LOVE violence. I LOVE looking at titties. That doesn't stop this movie from laying a big turd filled egg.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

It makes no narrative sense.

Please to explain....

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

What bugs me about the pass this crap for crap movie gets is that, even if completely divorced from the book from which it takes its name, it still sucks. It makes no narrative sense. I know, I know, it's "just" a sci-fi shoot 'em up. I just wish the genre was held to higher standards.

You're analyzing it too much. The film is about as tongue in cheek as it gets. I think a lot of people just don't really get what Verhoven was doing. It's kind of like Mars Attacks. Everyone hates that movie, but I think it's pretty damn entertaining.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

"On the bounce solider".</blockquot

The book was way better

#66 11 years ago

Heh. Heh. He said bugs.

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

Heh. Heh. He said bugs.

I'm not the kind of dude to amend every pun I make with the "pun (not) intended" throw away. And besides, "What skinnies me" wouldn't have made much sense.

#68 11 years ago

Nice looking game from the pics!!! Enjoy it!!!!

I love that third lightning flipper!!

FYI: if you use it, whatever you hit, gives you extra points as opposed to using the normal flippers

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Nice looking game from the pics!!! Enjoy it!!!!
I love that third lightning flipper!!
FYI: if you use it, whatever you hit, gives you extra points as opposed to using the normal flippers

How does the machine know which flipper the ball came off of?

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I've been playing with the VP version today.... You can fake it out pretty easily by hitting the second flipper button while the ball is on the way...

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It has a 1 second lag time (or something along those lines) so "TECHNICALLY" if you hit all three flippers at once and hit a switch it would probably award you the points as well.

However, hitting the right flipper & lightning flipper at the same time leaves a pretty big gap for the ball through between the two flippers

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

It has a 1 second lag time (or something along those lines) so "TECHNICALLY" if you hit all three flippers at once and hit a switch it would probably award you the points as well.
However, hitting the right flipper & lightning flipper at the same time leaves a pretty big gap for the ball through between the two flippers

I was tapping the little flipper immediately after I hit the first flipper on the right, and getting credit for it.

I've never played this pin in the real world. I fell in love with it playing the VP version, and saw it at PEN's place while I was buying some pins from him, and knew I had to have it.

#73 11 years ago

Movie plays on ones intelligence. Traveling through the universe in luxury spaceships with the weapons used by your soldiers to attack giant buggs , no more advanced than ours today!

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Movie plays on ones intelligence. Traveling through the universe in luxury spaceships with the weapons used by your soldiers to attack giant buggs , no more advanced than ours today!

Yeah well the 1911 .45 Semi-Auto Pistol is just as popular (actually even more so) today then it was in 1911.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I should point out that I LOVE violence. I LOVE looking at titties. That doesn't stop this movie from laying a big turd filled egg.

Uggg. If every movie was Saving Private Ryan or add your high quality movie here (. ) it would be a boring world. The intent of this movie was executed perfectly. It is a satire, campy, nod to classic b-flick, shot and a beer movie. Its fun, the end.

#76 11 years ago

Movies don't have to be high quality, I'd just prefer them not to suck. Commando (hey, that'd be a good pin), Cliff Hanger, Resident Evil, Golden Child, etc... are all pretty bad movies, with pretty bad acting and pretty bad dialog that are all fun as hell to watch while adhering to their own setting's unreality. If Troopers had been as half as good as Robocop I'd have loved it. It wasn't. It's like everyone and everything in that movie just mailed it in.

But whatever. I'm trying to talk you out of anything, just clarifying my assertion that movie was shit awful is not because I demand high art from every movie I watch. I like flicks and films as much as the next guy.

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Movies don't have to be high quality, I'd just prefer them not to suck. Commando (hey, that's be a good pin), Cliff Hanger, Resident Evil, Golden Child, etc... are all pretty bad movies, with pretty bad acting and pretty bad dialog that are all fun as hell to watch while adhering to their own setting's unreality. If Troopers had been as half as good as Robocop I'd have loved it. It wasn't. It's like everyone and everything in that movie just mailed it in.
But whatever. I'm trying to talk you out of anything, just clarifying my assertion that movie was shit awful is not because I demand high art from every movie I watch. I like flicks and films as much as the next guy.

I don't watch movies. Hardly ever. I dislike almost all of them, because I feel they take themselves too seriously. I find even good actors unbelievable and predictable.

This movie was horrible, but fun and tongue and cheek, and I did found it to have an Orwellian feel. The acting was bad and over the top, and I believe it to be on purpose.

I'm not a good guy to critique a movie, but this one was what it was intended to be, IMO.

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Commando (hey, that's be a good pin)

Great special effects (remember the yellow Porsche).

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

» YouTube video

is it just me, or is that the smallest porsche i've ever seen?

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Movies don't have to be high quality, I'd just prefer them not to suck. Commando (hey, that's be a good pin), Cliff Hanger, Resident Evil, Golden Child, etc... are all pretty bad movies, with pretty bad acting and pretty bad dialog that are all fun as hell to watch while adhering to their own setting's unreality. If Troopers had been as half as good as Robocop I'd have loved it. It wasn't. It's like everyone and everything in that movie just mailed it in.

You are correct, the acting sucks. Shot and a beer movie.

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Shot and a beer movie.

or two!

#82 11 years ago

Another great one starring Michael Ironside!-

#83 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

» YouTube video

I like the clearly visible cable attached to Sully's leg while Arnold's holding him over the cliff even better. Continuity (that's not special effects) can be a bitch, but, that cable is like a boom in the shot. Come on guys! Regardless, Commando is almost worth watching just for James Horner's genius.

#84 11 years ago

For me, this is reason enough to watch this movie whenever it comes on. Damn, she's hot!

997STS_Denise_Richards_019.jpg997STS_Denise_Richards_019.jpg

#85 11 years ago

Other b-movies that I like

Slither
Night of the living...
The Dark Backward
Godzilla...
SHE (the 1982 SHE)
Splice
the Blob

.....and many more "bad" movies.

Mystery Science Theatre comes to mind as well.

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Other b-movies that I like
the Blob

The '88 remake of the Blob is pretty awesome. Candy Clark could scream with the best of them.

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

This movie was horrible, but fun and tongue and cheek, and I did found it to have an Orwellian feel. The acting was bad and over the top, and I believe it to be on purpose.

Sounds almost like a train-wreck. Really horrible, but you just can't avert your eyes.

#89 11 years ago

Any of the movies MST3K "watched" are terrifically bad. I can't even fathom the idea that some producer said "I like it, here's my money to make it", with any of those turds. Hilarious to watch with those guys, though. I liked Joel better than Mike, too. You know, show's creator and all....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 18.95
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-dont-often-watch-movies-but-i-saw-starship-troopers-lastnight/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.